PDA

View Full Version : WTF !!!!!!! TORNADO WARNINGS

PinkFloyd
10-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Just got done looking at the weatherbug radar and there are tornado watches and WARNINGS in south central/south western Kansas !!!

Anyone on here near there ????

Easy 6
10-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Global Warning :reaper:

PinkFloyd
10-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Global Warning :reaper:

I wouldn't doubt it one bit !!! Maybe it's a Korean missle over Kansas !!

Donger
10-26-2006, 06:26 PM
We had about 14 inches of snow today. I'd imagine the atmosphere is rather unstable in Kansas at the moment, considering it was 75F here yesterday.

Archie F. Swin
10-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Any time you have a potent upper low travelling along the axis of an east-to-west oriented stationary front, it aint ever pretty

PinkFloyd
10-26-2006, 06:37 PM
I remember about 10 years ago during deer season it got up to about 74 degrees and we had a good thunderstorm off and on...

Seems like anytime of the year can pop up a good tornado...

Seems like I'm living on tornado alley anymore... We had alot of warnings and even some touchdowns right around here earlier this year... One was about 1 mile southeast of my house, and another was about 2 miles east of me...

2004 was the year we had the F4 go by here and kill afew people... That damn thing was about 1 mile wide... It tore the hell out of the place up here !!

ChiefFan31
10-26-2006, 06:46 PM
I remember about 10 years ago during deer season it got up to about 74 degrees and we had a good thunderstorm off and on...

Seems like I'm living on tornado alley anymore... We had alot of warnings and even some touchdowns right around here earlier this year... One was about 1 mile southeast of my house, and another was about 2 miles east of me...

2004 was the year we had the F4 go by here and kill afew people... That damn thing was about 1 mile wide... It tore the hell out of the place up here !!

I think it would be safe to ditch the seems like part off of you living in tornado alley. Most folks dont have two tornadoes within two miles of their house in one year, and have an F4 roll through the neigborhood two years before that.

Good grief. Tornadoes fascinate me to no end, but damn. That is too close.

Chieficus
10-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Any time you have a potent upper low travelling along the axis of an east-to-west oriented stationary front, it aint ever pretty

Depends on your definition of "pretty"...

though it seems like most of the stuff is going linear rather quickly... although one storm seemed to have a nice little radar indicated hail spike on it for a frame or two...

Frazod
10-26-2006, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't doubt it one bit !!! Maybe it's a Korean missle over Kansas !!

What a waste of a perfectly good missile. :)

Archie F. Swin
10-26-2006, 06:51 PM
I think it would be safe to ditch the seems like part off of you living in tornado alley. Most folks dont have two tornadoes within two miles of their house in one year, and have an F4 roll through the neigborhood two years before that.

weather is just an inert gas there in dolt land

Chieficus
10-26-2006, 06:53 PM

If I remember right there is only one day during the year in which we have not ever had a tornado on the books of recorded history--January 16th. When I was getting my meteorology degree down at OU, I had a friend (who was also in the program) who's birthday was on that date. We always blamed that/him for our failures at storm chases...

:)

ChiefFan31
10-26-2006, 06:55 PM
weather is just an inert gas there in dolt land

Are you calling me inert gas??? Just kidding, I will have to look that one up. I dont pay much attention to the weather.

Good weather is about the main reason im out here. I just like it.

Edit - from wikipedia

An inert gas is any gas that is not reactive under normal circumstances. Unlike the noble gases an inert gas is not necessarily elemental and are often molecular gases. Like the noble gases the tendency for non-reactivity is due to the valence, the outermost electron shell, being complete in all the inert gases

That is a foreign language to me. Linky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inert_gas)

PinkFloyd
10-26-2006, 06:58 PM

Myself and afew of my friends have been going to storm chaser seminars since we were 18 and have been chasing storms since... They really teach you alot, and you learn alot about tornados. It's not easy chasing a tornado cause them SOB's can change direction on a dime...

If your ever in Oklahoma, they actually have tours where people pile up in a van and storm chasers chase the tornados with you in the van... You get to get out and watch the tornados from a distance, and even sometimes they will take you right up to within 1/2 - 1 mile from it !!!

It's a hell of a rush chasing them too... I'm alot better now -- and alot wiser now --- than when I first started... My whole idea when I was 18-20 was to get as close as I could from it... It took me 2-3 years to remember I was out there to inform TV and radio weatherman of the wearabouts and direction of the storm, rather than being stupid and trying to shake hands with it !!

Donger
10-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Are you calling me inert gas??? Just kidding, I will have to look that one up. I dont pay much attention to the weather.

Good weather is about the main reason im out here. I just like it.

Edit - from wikipedia

That is a foreign language to me. Linky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inert_gas)

You really didn't know what an inert gas was?

L.A. Chieffan
10-26-2006, 07:04 PM
We had about 14 inches of snow today. I'd imagine the atmosphere is rather unstable in Kansas at the moment, considering it was 75F here yesterday.
Tornadoes? Snow??
Thats a bummer man, the hardest part about my week so far was it was a little too chilly the other night for flips. :D

PinkFloyd
10-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Check this out... www.stormchasing.com

Chieficus
10-26-2006, 07:10 PM
If your ever in Oklahoma, they actually have tours where people pile up in a van and storm chasers chase the tornados with you in the van... You get to get out and watch the tornados from a distance, and even sometimes they will take you right up to within 1/2 - 1 mile from it !!!

I took a guy for free one time within 1/2 mile of a nice F2 up in Indiana. Ended up with him screaming, running, and jumping in a ditch. It did make it on TV here in Louisville, though...

I do miss the Oklahoma chases--wide open and could see everything for miles... In Indiana/Kentucky, you end up within a mile to 1/2 a mile from the thing before you see it, whether you want to be or not...

PinkFloyd
10-26-2006, 07:14 PM
I took a guy for free one time within 1/2 mile of a nice F2 up in Indiana. Ended up with him screaming, running, and jumping in a ditch. It did make it on TV here in Louisville, though...

I do miss the Oklahoma chases--wide open and could see everything for miles... In Indiana/Kentucky, you end up within a mile to 1/2 a mile from the thing before you see it, whether you want to be or not...

I hate trying to find them damn things at nite... You have to watch for them when it lightnings, or you have to listen for them, and you PRAY that your buddies are watching the skies also and give you heads up on the radios...

I really do think that if I'm going to die in 10 years, it will be from one of them damn things during the night...

Chieficus
10-26-2006, 07:25 PM
I hate trying to find them damn things at nite... You have to watch for them when it lightnings, or you have to listen for them, and you PRAY that your buddies are watching the skies also and give you heads up on the radios...

I really do think that if I'm going to die in 10 years, it will be from one of them damn things during the night...

First one I ever caught (well, first one that lasted for more than 30 seconds--stinkin' Happy, Texas...) was at night. Cut through the nothern part of OKC--we just followed the power flashes through town.

It's fun, but it's all in who you chase with. That guy I mentioned who jumped in the ditch was terrible--it was his first time out and I didn't know him that well (was a neighbor of mine)... couldn't do jack squat with a map and thought every dark cloud was a tornado.

When I lived in Oklahoma I had several guys who made it worth while--I did most of the driving (I'm the one who had the SUV and didn't care if it got beat up), and they were good with maps from major highways to the most back-woods country roads. Not to mention, they also knew what to look for. Like the difference between scud and a funnel... cripes, if I ever hear "It's above us...and there's one over there as well" again........ :mad:

ChiefFan31
10-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Myself and afew of my friends have been going to storm chaser seminars since we were 18 and have been chasing storms since... They really teach you alot, and you learn alot about tornados. It's not easy chasing a tornado cause them SOB's can change direction on a dime...

It's a hell of a rush chasing them too... I'm alot better now -- and alot wiser now --- than when I first started... My whole idea when I was 18-20 was to get as close as I could from it... It took me 2-3 years to remember I was out there to inform TV and radio weatherman of the wearabouts and direction of the storm, rather than being stupid and trying to shake hands with it !!

I find that to be cool as hell. I have watched those shows before with the Storm chasers, and would like to ride along sometime. Tough part is just the hit and miss of it. Would be lame to schedule a vaca then be the week when nothing happens, but I guess that is why you would pay a pro to ride along.

I just find Tornadoes to be the most fascinating natural occurance. Some people freak on Earthquakes, they really are no big deal to me. Your equilibrium gets thrown off a bit and your windows rattle for a few seconds, whoop de doo. Its not a Funnel cloud coming down from the sky and ripping the roof off your house.

And Donger - No, I really dont :shrug:

Edit - I will check out the link for StormChasers

PinkFloyd
10-26-2006, 07:32 PM
First one I ever caught (well, first one that lasted for more than 30 seconds--stinkin' Happy, Texas...) was at night. Cut through the nothern part of OKC--we just followed the power flashes through town.

It's fun, but it's all in who you chase with. That guy I mentioned who jumped in the ditch was terrible--it was his first time out and I didn't know him that well (was a neighbor of mine)... couldn't do jack squat with a map and thought every dark cloud was a tornado.

When I lived in Oklahoma I had several guys who made it worth while--I did most of the driving (I'm the one who had the SUV and didn't care if it got beat up), and they were good with maps from major highways to the most back-woods country roads. Not to mention, they also knew what to look for. Like the difference between scud and a funnel... cripes, if I ever hear "It's above us...and there's one over there as well" again........ :mad:

Up here alot of people see this little dip in a cloud and want to start sounding the sirens as soon as possible... But; we do have quit afew people who are trained to look out for them, and they do a pretty good job most of the time... It's those "wanna-be's" that make all of us have a hard time explaining to them that what they are looking at is just a plain old cloud...

I was in a tornado when i was 5 weeks old, and another when I was 12... My mom swears she can smell them coming... Says they smell like sulfur... She won't even watch them on TV... Scares her too death !!! She will turn her head or switch channels...

PinkFloyd
10-26-2006, 07:44 PM
I find that to be cool as hell. I have watched those shows before with the Storm chasers, and would like to ride along sometime. Tough part is just the hit and miss of it. Would be lame to schedule a vaca then be the week when nothing happens, but I guess that is why you would pay a pro to ride along.

I just find Tornadoes to be the most fascinating natural occurance. Some people freak on Earthquakes, they really are no big deal to me. Your equilibrium gets thrown off a bit and your windows rattle for a few seconds, whoop de doo. Its not a Funnel cloud coming down from the sky and ripping the roof off your house.

And Donger - No, I really dont :shrug:

Edit - I will check out the link for StormChasers

If I remember right, the tours on that web site cost $12,000 for 6 days and nights !!

chagrin
10-26-2006, 07:45 PM
This is for buceye and brock -
"Take Cover Damn you!!"

Chieficus
10-26-2006, 07:45 PM
If I remember right, the tours on that web site cost $12,000 for 6 days and nights !!

Wow... and to think, I have a hard enough time getting people to chip in for gas...

ROFL

PinkFloyd
10-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Wow... and to think, I have a hard enough time getting people to chip in for gas...

ROFL

I can't imagine paying that much !! That's insane !! I've had alot of people tell me they want to go riding with me when we go out... Well; when the time comes --- for some odd reason they are busy !!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

ChiefFan31
10-26-2006, 08:06 PM

Lord Almighty. I think I will stick with an Enterprise rent a car and a twelve pack of beer and go get er dun myself :D

PinkFloyd
10-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Lord Almighty. I think I will stick with an Enterprise rent a car and a twelve pack of beer and go get er dun myself :D

The beer would make you braver !! Did me once or twice when I was younger just goofing around with them...

Archie F. Swin
10-26-2006, 08:22 PM
pt barnum would be proud

ChiefFan31
10-26-2006, 08:33 PM
The beer would make you braver !! Did me once or twice when I was younger just goofing around with them...

Thats crazy for the fact you would even be in the position of doing that. Tornado alley for sure.

Looks like If I were to ever do this, some internet research would have to be done. I still would want to go out with a crew, but damn 12G's is ridiculi

PinkFloyd
10-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Thats crazy for the fact you would even be in the position of doing that. Tornado alley for sure.

Looks like If I were to ever do this, some internet research would have to be done. I still would want to go out with a crew, but damn 12G's is ridiculi

Well; most tornados travel in a northeast to east direction... Just stay to the west/ southwest of the storm front, and you should be ok... It's scary at first, but you'll love it...

carlos3652
10-26-2006, 09:27 PM
I remember last in year in KC, one day we had a winter advisory and the next we had a tornado warning,

kc weather is crazy...

boogblaster
10-26-2006, 10:08 PM
I live in the alley..have them twisters thru here all the time..come out of the southwest screaming like a freight-train..right up the verdigris valley.. I live 1/4 mile off the river.. they get close.....BOOG .....