PDA

View Full Version : So I went to Kroger (Grocery Store)

Simply Red
10-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Finished most of my grocery shopping. Forgot cold-cuts and went back to were I started. A gentlemen was already there with his child, he noded at me. He had a Georgia Tech hat on. This was last Saturday when they played Clemson. I casually asked him if his boys are going to pull it out tonight. The way the deli worker was treating him,(running back and forth from the walk-in cooler) I could tell he was one of two possibilities: either; An accomplished college athelete of a pro athelete. The Kroger man brought out the chicken and beef Boars head hot dogs as I asked him if he played for GA Tech, before this guy could answer the deli-guy said "you know that is Jason Varitek." So I talked with him for maybe 10 minutes. My emphasis regarding this thread is to tell you guys, he was the coolest well known person i've met. Out of the few that i have met. No biggie, it was just kind of cool meeting him and his classiness was good to see. Just wanted to share that....

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-26-2006, 07:25 PM
What the hell is a "beef boars head" hot dog? And what type of cold cuts did you purchase?

Simply Red
10-26-2006, 07:29 PM
What the hell is a "beef boars head" hot dog? And what type of cold cuts did you purchase?

just a brand name. I was getting smoked turkey sliced.

Short Leash Hootie
10-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Why does Jason Varitek shop at Kroger?!

Haha. Kroger.

Short Leash Hootie
10-26-2006, 07:32 PM
I flew into KCI a few years ago and I was picking up my luggage and I stared straight ahead and saw Tony Gonzalez standing there with his brother Chris. I was like, sweet, it's Tony friggin' Gonzalez...I even had his jersey on...which made me feel a little weird.

So, I kept waiting for my luggage and he stood there with his brother and no one bugged him...eventually they met up with some latino girl (his sister maybe) and walked away.

I was amazed that not a single person said anything to the guy. It's pretty cool Kansas City doesn't harass their star athletes. Either that or they're all retarded and didn't realize it was Tony Gonzalez.

(By the way, he can't be taller than 6'4"...I don't know what he's listed at.)

L.A. Chieffan
10-26-2006, 07:32 PM
You shoulda gave him props for his beat down of AROD

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-26-2006, 07:35 PM
just a brand name. I was getting smoked turkey sliced.
That's kind of a scary brand name. That's cool that you met him, the only brush with sports greatness I ever had was when I shook Tom Osborne's hand at a Catholic fish fry.

Bwana
10-26-2006, 07:48 PM
I had to google the guy to figure out who the hell it was. I don't follow baseball at all so that explains it.

Simply Red
10-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Yes the thing that made it so cool was the fact that he really seemed genuine. Funny I couldn't remember who it was that he scuffled w/ and it was AROD. Actually Jason was fairly big. I'm about 6'1" 220. It looked as if he probably was at least the same height and had 15 lbs. on me. Oh and it goes w/o saying his was muscle and mine was some muscle. about 8 yrs ago.

noa
10-26-2006, 08:08 PM
My friend met Varitek at a bar and said he was nice and was willing to talk baseball with him. Sounds like a good guy.

Simply Red
10-26-2006, 08:15 PM
My friend met Varitek at a bar and said he was nice and was willing to talk baseball with him. Sounds like a good guy.

Yes finally someone who makes a ton of money and still remains friendly. I'll bet that is probably hard even for the most humble people. The announcers just mentioned Sean Casey, apparently he is exactly the same based on what I've heard from several different people.

Simply Red
10-26-2006, 08:27 PM
That's kind of a scary brand name. That's cool that you met him, the only brush with sports greatness I ever had was when I shook Tom Osborne's hand at a Catholic fish fry.

Nice. Not bad. Believe it or not Atlanta is a pretty decent area to ocasisionally cross paths w/ some fairly famous people.

JBucc
10-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Nice. Not bad. Believe it or not Atlanta is a pretty decent area to ocasisionally cross paths w/ some fairly famous people. Plus black Jesus lives there.

Simply Red
10-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Plus black Jesus lives there.

That was damn funny! :)

Ultra Peanut
10-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Right store. Right price.