PDA

View Full Version : Draft Wish Starting to Fade....

NaptownChief
01-09-2001, 03:02 PM
Looks like my wet dream of putting the Red and Gold on Morgan is in serious jeopardy of not happening:

1.) Dan Morgan Miami of Fla. 6'21/3'' 235 4.55

SCOUT QUICK HITS: 'Might be the fastest rising player on draft boards... Has flip-flopped between inside and outside, but figures to settle in very nicely as a middle backer. His combination of size speed and, best of all, football instincts make him possibly the best overall linebacker in all of college football... Has an inate knack for being around the ball on every play.

I'm not real sure why it took this long for the "Experts" to see what a knucklehead like myself saw a long time ago...

http://www.users.qwest.net/~robandoreen/a-morgan-051500.jpg

HC_Chief
01-09-2001, 03:09 PM
Yeah, the guy is a monster. He can play pass as well as stuff the running game. We did not suck enough this season to have a shot at him.

T HENRY TIME BABY! :D

NaptownChief
01-09-2001, 03:12 PM
That gawd damn squeaker we pulled out against Carolina is proabably going to cost us Morgan...If we had not pulled that game out I think we would be drafting ahead of the 9ers...

NaptownChief
01-09-2001, 03:17 PM
After further review...Had we not pulled off that Panther game and the Rams took care of us like they should have...We would be picking 6th overall....If and but's were candy and nuts....yeah, yeah, yeah...Just a thought.

hawaiianboy
01-09-2001, 03:24 PM
FADER!!!!

Har, always wanted to say that!

Dan Morgan? Gone!.... He'll be a great middle backer (not OLB) for someone in the Chris Speilman mode.....

The LB I like is Keith Adams (Clemson) who will get dissed because he's short..... but has the best instincts of any backer
I've seen in awhile.... I hope the S& B get him in round 2 or so.....

NaptownChief
01-09-2001, 03:29 PM
He has 4.4 speed so I don't think he will last too long...That size will keep him out of the top 15 but should still go late first round...The NFL has a tendency to draft the so called undersized LB's in the 20's...Derrick Brooks(28th), Ray Lewis(26th)....

hawaiianboy
01-09-2001, 03:34 PM
You think he'll last till the LAST pick of the first so we can grab him?

NaptownChief
01-09-2001, 03:47 PM
Good chance you guys could get him if you get bounced this weekend...

Iowanian
01-09-2001, 03:52 PM
I really like Dan Morgan too from the little I've seen..But unfortunately I think he'll go to SF...

What do you think of some of the other LBs like Polly and Caver? I've seen a couple of moc drafts showing Polly as a Chief. I think a fast OLB and moving Maz to the middle makes sense..?

Seattle looks like they may take my picks for DL...

just like a kid in a candy store...I want so many things but only can get one...RB, CB, LB, DL....what to do what to do?

NaptownChief
01-10-2001, 10:22 AM
Iowa,

I like Polley and Caver both pretty well...Would prefer Polley between the two...Only problem is that I think fair market value for those two would be in the second half of the 1st round...I think we would need to trade back to do ourselves justice if we went after one of them in the 1st round.

MrBlond
01-10-2001, 11:31 AM
I am starting to wonder if SF will take Morgan. If they lose Garner and Hearst can't go they may go after a stud RB, or trade down a few spots and get a RB and more picks. SF went heavy on defense last year. With Vick and Terrell in, Morgan just may come down to #12.

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 11:44 AM
Don't hold your breath...

MrBlond
01-10-2001, 11:59 AM
HC-C,

I am more worried about Morgan being there at 12 and Carl passing for a sleeper or project.

NaptownChief
01-10-2001, 12:01 PM
As of right now here are the guys that should definitely go ahead of us in some order:(And I am hesitant to put McAllister on the list cause I think he is falling)...So we need four more players to step up into this category for Morgan to fall to us...Possibilities are Fletcher of Wisc.,Warren of Florida, Jammer of Texas, and outside shot of Derrick Gibson of FSU...It could happen but I think we will most likely need to move up a couple spots.

M.Vick-VT
Andre Carter-Cal
David Terrell-Mich
Jamal Reynolds-FSU
Richard Seymour-Ga.
Deuce McAllister-Ole Miss
Leonard Davis- Texas

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 12:07 PM
Blond - not that I think it will happen but, <i>if</i> Morgan somehow fell all the way to 12th, CP/Vermeil would be complete idiots to pass him up! I don't think they are <i>that</I> stupid...

At least, I <i>hope</i> they aren't!

NaptownChief
01-10-2001, 12:15 PM
HC,

That would be my worst draft nightmare come true...

NaptownChief
01-10-2001, 12:20 PM
Can you image our defense with Morgan, Edwards and Maz? Edwards and Morgan would give us two outside backers with 4.5 speed and both have the ability and versatility to play inside on any given scheme...Nobody in the league has anything like that...Throw Mad Dog in the middle of those two and we would become that defense that "nobody dares to run outside on" cause of our speed...I really think that this one guy can elevate us from middle of the pack to the top...

MrBlond
01-10-2001, 12:23 PM
I think Santana Moss will end up in Seattle at 7 or 10. That would push Morgan down another spot. I still see a stud like Duece if available or a DT in SF. Or a trade down.

MrBlond
01-10-2001, 12:25 PM
jl80,

You have convinced me.

NaptownChief
01-10-2001, 12:27 PM
Blond,

I agree, if SF can't work out a deal with Garner then RB is a huge hole for them...I don't think with as many holes as they have that they can be predictable...Morgan would fill a big need for them but so would a lot of players...Also an outside chance that Walsh could be foolish enough to be sporting wood for Drew Brees and grab him in that slot...Cause they don't have the cap room to give Garcia the contract that he will want...Anything could happen in that spot...

morphius
01-10-2001, 12:28 PM
jl - No, the worst nightmare would be an OL in the 1st, and sadly it would not surprise me in anyway.

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I see the same thing jl. That trio would constitue possibly the fiercest and most athletic LB corps in the league! Edwards and Morgan are both outstanding defending the pass - and both have tremendous speed. Morgan and Maslowski are punishing hitters who rarely fail to make an open-field tackle. We would have the speed to pursue any plays outside, with power and tackling ability to stop anything filtered to the middle. If we were to follow-up with a DT in the 2nd (Mario Fatafehi), our front seven would be a force to be reckoned with!

However, I seriously doubt Morgan will make it past San Francisco. They want him bad.

Clint in Wichita
01-10-2001, 12:31 PM
Morgan would be a good choice, but what about Jamar Fletcher (CB, Wisconsin)?

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 12:34 PM
If we take a corner in the 1st (12th overall), I'll have a *$%&ing embolism! We have greater need at DT, LB and <i>RB</i> - Bartee, Dennis, Warfield, & Hasty (he's not gone yet) are servicable. I'd draft a CB in a later round.

NaptownChief
01-10-2001, 12:36 PM
Morph,

That is a horrible thought that I refuse to put in my head. To spend a 1st rounder on a interior lineman would be the dumbest move I could image other than a 1st rounder on a kicker...I can't think of one interior lineman that has been drafted in the 1st round and can't think of any worth it...Shields is one of the best now and was one of the best the year he came out and was a 3rd rounder....

NaptownChief
01-10-2001, 12:38 PM
If we don't get a LB and a DT that can stop the run we won't need any CB's cause everyone will just keep running it down our throats...

Cannibal
01-10-2001, 12:38 PM
Hasty might not be back and Bartee and Dennis are EXTREMELY RAW!

Dennis was burned up and down the field last year. We still don't know if Dennis can be an everydown player.

We do have a need at Corner.

We need to create a pool of the best players at these positions IMO:

Corner
OLB
DT
RB

Then take the best available player at one of those positions in the first round.

NaptownChief
01-10-2001, 12:52 PM
I look at it like this...Of all the teams that made it past the 1st round this year, our offense is ten fold better than all of them....I want a big time feature back as bad as anyone but in comparison to the so called elite teams our offense already blows them away...Defense is where we need to go in this draft to elevate us to the top level...The good news is that we have a lot of the pieces in place...We need a top of the line OLB, a run stuffing DT and another experienced or very talented CB....I honestly beleive that we can only expect to fix two of those 3 areas...I think a LB corp of Morgan,Maz, and Edwards will go a long way in hiding other areas of weakness...The reason I favor the LB over the CB is that the pick is usually much less risk...It is much easier to see what you are getting from a talented LB versus a talented CB...You see 1st round CB's flop much more often than 1st round LB's...

MrBlond
01-10-2001, 12:52 PM
Corner is a need because Bartee and Dennis were bad picks. Bartee especially in the 2nd. Dennis may be ok but he is not a #1 shutdown corner ala Hasty, Bailey, Woodson etc. A corner is our #1 need in FA. Sehorn may be a cap casualty next year. I would be the first at his door if I were Carl. IMO, if not Morgan than any one of several stud runners...I like Tomlinson but #12 may be reaching. I also would love to see Fatafehi in the 2nd. I think trading way down and taking the center from Neb. would be a smart if not glamorous move.

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 12:58 PM
T Henry should be available. In a couple of years, people will consider him a steal at #12! I guarantee it. :)

[Edited by HC_Chief on 01-10-2001 at 01:01 PM]

Clint in Wichita
01-10-2001, 12:58 PM
One thing all of the remaining teams have in common, except for MAYBE the Giants, is a stud RB.

Baltimore has one of the best defenses ever assembled, but they'd go nowhere without at least the threat of Jamal Lewis in the backfield.

Oakland's offense would experience a serious dip in production if Wheatley was injured for a significant amount of time.

Minnesota has Robert Smith. His numbers speak for themselves.

The Giants clearly aren't leaning too heavily on Kerry Collins to win games for them. Barber, along with Dayne, is the staple of their offense.

KC has plenty of defensive needs, but unless TRich explodes or they acquire a stud RB in the draft or through free agency, all the defensive draft picks in the world aren't going to matter.

RB, OLB, OR CB in the first round is fine with me.

ChiefsFanatic
01-10-2001, 01:06 PM
I could live with Raiola in the first, not like it, I could live with it though. I could live with someone like Jamar Fletcher in the first round.

But what i really want is a RB. Michael Bennett would be my choice. But as long as it is a running back that deserves to be on the board at 12 I will be happy.

MrBlond
01-10-2001, 01:10 PM
I am very excited about this years draft. With glaring needs at RB, CB, and OLB coupled with the #12 pick and a deep draft I don't expect to be scrambling for my draft guides to find info early on the first day. Carl could go in many directions and fill a need. Gunther is gone and RBbC with him. Multiple and high draft choices. The only thing that can dampen my enthusiasm now is the Rams and Tag.

Gaz
01-10-2001, 01:18 PM
DT.
I do not understand all the talk of drafting a DT. McGlockton and Williams will be here next season and they will be starting. You know that I LOVE QB-crushing, but this would be a pointless pick.

RB.
This draft is deep enough in HBs that we can get a quality, every-down guy in the second round. If Henry is available in the second round, scarf him up.

CB.
I agree that we need one, but not via the draft. We need a veteran FA CB, whether Hasty leaves or not. Our secondary needs some veteran leadership as we find out what the rookies can do when they are not saddled with the Stooge's soft zone D.

OLB.
I want Morgan, but he will probably be gone by the time we draft. That leaves Tommy Polley. While he does not get the press of Morgan, he has speed and intensity and that is what we need. This is where we must spend our #1 pick.

xoxo~
gaz
drafting for D.

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 01:25 PM
<i>RB.
This draft is deep enough in HBs that we can get a quality, every-down guy in the second round. If Henry is available in the second round, scarf him up. </i>

No, NO, <b>NO</b>! IMHO, it is due to this attitude we have been saddled with RBbC. We keep thinking 'oh, this draft is deep here, so we can push off picking in this area until _____'.

FACT: KC is in <i>dire</I> need of a RB!

FACT: Travis Henry's stock is <i>already</i> rising - and the combine hasn't even taken place!!!

FACT: KC has not had an opportunity to pick this high in a decade

FACT: San Francisco is going to draft Dan Morgan (unless he goes in the top-4/5)

We have a great opportunity this year: to kill the RBbC by drafting a <i>monster</i> RB in the first - w/o having to trade anything for it!

Travis Henry is the <i>only</i> answer in the 1st!

MrBlond
01-10-2001, 01:27 PM
Gaz,

Do you trust Peterson to find a RB in round 2? If we don't get one at 12 or trade down and get one between 15-18 I say go with a FA or TRich.

Gaz
01-10-2001, 01:33 PM
FACT: RBbC will die regardless of our #1 pick. It died when Gunther lost his job.

OPINION: Defense hurt the Chiefs this season far more than the lack of a running game.

CONCLUSION: Draft for Defense first and get a serviceable HB in the second round.

xoxo~
gaz
still drafting for D, despite a heartfelt cry for yet more O.

NaptownChief
01-10-2001, 01:37 PM
Who in here thinks our running game was the worst in the league because of our back as opposed to our piss poor coaching, schemes and RBCC?

I for one don't beleive our backs are the worst in the league. I would I like an upgrade? Hell yes...but you can put together a good running attack without going in the 1st round, that has been proven time and time again...You can't build a 1st rate D without going in the 1st...Look at Balt and TB's D, both loaded with 1st rounders.

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 01:39 PM
<i>FACT: RBbC will die regardless of our #1 pick. It died when Gunther lost his job</i> - a lot of people thought this when <i>Marty</i> left too! Guess what? w/o an every-down RB, you pretty much <i>have</i> to stick with the committee - unless, you are good at picking up mid-late round RBs. Remind me again, how good is CP at that?

<i>OPINION: Defense hurt the Chiefs this season far more than the lack of a running game.</i> - A running game affords the D some time to rest. No running game = lose battle of time of possession, which = tired D in the 4th.

<i>CONCLUSION: Draft for Defense first and get a serviceable HB in the second round. </i> - same thing we've done over the past 12 years... and how far has that got us?

Cannibal
01-10-2001, 01:41 PM
Taking Tommey Polley at the # 12 overall pick would be a big reach.

Most mock drafts have him going at the bottom of the first, or early second round.

Gaz
01-10-2001, 01:42 PM
MrBlond-

I trust Peterson to find a HB in Round #2 just as much as I trust him to find one in Round #1.

I like Richardson at FB and Garner or Barber at HB [donner und blitzen].

Richardson at HB and a FA FB who can block would be acceptable, if not optimal [don't tell Hardcore, 'cause he might stroke out]. We need a legitimate rushing threat to take the pressure off Grbac. Richardson and a good blocking FB would accomplish that goal. A solid 2nd Round HB with Richardson at HB would serve the same purpose.

xoxo~
gaz
wants to upgrade the O, but sees the real weakness on D.

MrBlond
01-10-2001, 01:43 PM
Gaz,

Agreed. Morgan is my first choice. But I would not pass over a bona-fide stud RB for Tommy Polley. Vermeil and Saunders could go for a Santana Moss. That offense is set-up for 3 receivers. This draft could go in any direction, but I know one thing...at #12 we will not be a day late and a dollar short like years past.

NaptownChief
01-10-2001, 01:44 PM
I could be way wrong on this but I beleive we could have gotten Marshall Faulk, Fred Taylor, and Edggerin James in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the previous drafts and none of them would have established $hit under GOONTHAR's system...

Gaz
01-10-2001, 01:52 PM
a lot of people thought this when Marty left too! Guess what? w/o an every-down RB, you pretty much have to stick with the committee - unless, you are good at picking up mid-late round RBs. Remind me again, how good is CP at that? An interesting point, if a bit nihilistic. Since Carl made some bad picks in the past, should we then knee-jerk ourselves into drafting a HB at our #1? What other picks did Carl screw up? Maybe we should draft a CB #1 since Dennis did not pan out…

A running game affords the D some time to rest. No running game = lose battle of time of possession, which = tired D in the 4th. Dude, are you really saying that our Defensive woes resulted from a tired Defense? If so, I must remind you that our Defense was shoved around on a regular basis in the first quarter. Unless they showed up tired, this argument holds no water.

same thing we've done over the past 12 years... and how far has that got us? You already know the answer to this: it made us one of the most competitive teams in the 90s. Stingy Defense, tough Special Teams and an adequate Offense IS Chiefs football. I believe that is the recipe for a winning team. Our Defense is the weakest part of our team and that is where our #1 pick must be spent.

xoxo~
gaz
fixing the broken stuff first.

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 01:56 PM
Barber isn't going anywhere - he has been entirely too valuable to NY.

Garner = a decent FA pickup <i>when healthy</i> (what's that, 50% of the season?)

I see this attitude: "Our O was great <i>last year</i>, our D was weak <i>last year</i>; the great teams <i>last year</i> went far in the playoffs because of ________" permeating the KC fan base. It is basically a 'catchup' attitude... one I strongly disagree with!

<i>"But I would not pass over a bona-fide stud RB for ______"</i> - smartest thing I've read all day! :)

Look, if Dan Morgan, Jamal Reynolds or andre Carter are available, you pretty much <i>have</i> to take them - they are just too good to pass up. After them, the D players drop off - and you're left taking someone higher than they really should go.

[Edited by HC_Chief on 01-10-2001 at 02:01 PM]

MrBlond
01-10-2001, 01:58 PM
Gaz,

I think we agree that the d-line of Clemons, Hicks, Williams, Browning, and Chet does not need a 1st rounder.

I think we also agree that CB is a spot for a FA

That leaves LB. At #12, Morgan is the only value LB. You can trade down and pick up Polley. An aggressive coordinator armed with a shut-down, FA corner (or Hasty returning)would turn this defense around.(IMO)

I think that if not Dan Morgan, than this is the year we get that franchise back. If Carl can't pick one in this draft w/ this high of a pick than he is not suited to be in charge of the Chiefs drafting.

NaptownChief
01-10-2001, 02:02 PM
One follow up on our RB's...Nobody really knows what we got...Go look at the box scores for Baltimore...If Jamal Lewis had played for GOONTHAR he would have already been put out to pasture...He started the season very slow with some bad games only to explode in the 2nd half of the season...This guy would have been tossed on the self with Greg Hill, Mike Cloud etc.etc...if he would have gotten out of the blocks slowly with GOONTHAR...

Cormac
01-10-2001, 02:02 PM
Leaving aside cap problems for the moment, I wonder if Vermeil would try to get Garner as a FA RB. He'd be an incredible acquisition, and is very much in the mould of Marshall Faulk. Not very big, but an inside/outside runner with lots of speed, and a great receiver out of the backfield. I wonder if DV and Garner could do for KC what DV and Faulk did for St. Louis.

Just dreaming I know......

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 02:04 PM
<i>You already know the answer to this: it made us one of the most competitive teams in the 90s</i> - And one of only <i>four</i>, that's right <i><b>FOUR</i></b> teams in the NFL who have not won a playoff game since '93.

Underlying theme: lack of an NFL RB. Closest player we had: an over-the-hill Marcus Allen. Remind me, how has this team done since he retired?

Gaz
01-10-2001, 02:25 PM
HC-

You are flailing all over the place. Are you trying to lay all those playoff losses on the fact that we did not have a stud HB? That is a gross distortion of the situation. We also lacked a stud QB, a stud FB, stud WRs, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

The Chiefs were successful in the regular season, then tanked in the playoffs. That happened year after year until Marty panicked and brought in thugs and showboaters in a desperate attempt to get over that playoff hump.

The results speak for themselves.

I believe that a winning franchise starts with Defense. A great Defense and mediocre Offense will carry you farther than a great Offense and a mediocre Defense, IMO. We no longer have a great Defense. True, a HUGE portion of blame for that situation belongs to the Spineless Jellyfish Stooge and his stinking soft zone.

OLB and CB are the candidates on Defense and HB is the candidate on Offense.

I already stated my reason for going FA for our CB, so that means it comes down to a choice between HB and OLB.

There will be a serviceable HB available in the second round. The run-stopping, game-altering OLBs will be gone by then.

I am, admittedly, an old Defense Homer and my opinion must be taken with that particular flavor of salt. But I think a dominating LB corps would do more for this team than a good HB in the backfield.

xoxo~
gaz
Defense first.

htismaqe
01-10-2001, 02:30 PM
Don't count on having Williams and/or Glock back next year...

I posted a few weeks ago...I was listening to the Atlanta game on KCFX and they were talking about Carl SAYING that they would like to get one or both of their salaries "out from under the cap"...that could mean restructured, but it could also mean cut or traded...

MrBlond
01-10-2001, 02:35 PM
Good point, but Browning and Fatafehi in round 2 should be able to replace those underachievers.

Gaz
01-10-2001, 02:37 PM
MrBlond-

I promised HC_Chief a HB in the 2nd Round…

xoxo~
gaz
bound to disappoint someone.

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 02:41 PM
<i>There will be a serviceable HB available in the second round</i> - Operative word here being "serviceable"... we've had quite enough of "serviceable" for well over a decade. Oh boy! Another Moreau, or Cloud, or Shehee, or....

<i>Are you trying to lay all those playoff losses on the fact that we did not have a stud HB? </i> - Absolutely not; of course there were other factors which played into it - but the <i>underlying theme</i> has always been <u>lack of an every-down, go-to, NFL calibre RB</u>.

<i>The run-stopping, game-altering OLBs will be gone by then</i> - Actually, the only <i>bona fide</i> sure-fire, 'game-altering' LB will be gone well before we have a chance to pick: Dan Morgan is going to San Fran. The dropoff after him is significant.

It all boils-down to a value-point perspective: why take a 'reach' on an above-average LB when we can address our RB problem with a <i>bona fide</i> sure-fire, 'game-altering' RB? It makes no sense.

[Edited by HC_Chief on 01-10-2001 at 02:44 PM]

Gaz
01-10-2001, 03:02 PM
HC_Chief-

You are drawing a false conclusion, IMO. You state that Moreau, Cloud or Shehee are not "serviceable" backs when in fact they were never given the chance to prove the point one way or the other. Gunther and RBbC is the reason none of those guys accomplished anything. We have no idea if they are any good. If not for an injury to Green, Kurt Warner would be considered a failure under your criteria. Obviously, something is wrong with your yardstick for "serviceability."

I disagree. Those playoff losses belong to Marty's conservatism when we got to the dance. The lack of a star HB was no doubt a contributing factor, but it was not the primary factor. Ditto for this season.

Polley is a step down from Morgan, true, but he would still bring speed and intensity to our LB corps. The amazing depth of RBs in the draft gives us the luxury of waiting for the 2nd round to pick a HB [personally, I prefer a FA HB]. For that reason, I go Defense in the 1st Round. That means Morgan or Polley. If we trade down for Polley, so much the better.

xoxo~
gaz
digging in his heels for D in the draft.

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 03:10 PM
<i>You state that Moreau, Cloud or Shehee are not "serviceable" backs </i> - Actually, I claim they <i>are</i> 'serviceable'... but that is all. What we have lacked - and what I am calling for - is a <i>good/great</i> running back.

<i>The lack of a star HB was no doubt a contributing factor, but it was not the primary factor</i> - never said it was. I repeat: the underlying theme has always been lack of an every-down, go-to, NFL calibre RB.

<i>Polley is a step down from Morgan, true, but he would still bring speed and intensity to our LB corps</i> - I do not disagree with this statement... my position differs from yours here: Henry/A Thomas(projected 2nd rounder)stepdown is greater than a Morgan/Polley stepdown - especially when you consider our strengths & weaknesses. IMO, our running game is <i>far</i> weaker than our current LB corps.

Gaz
01-10-2001, 03:16 PM
HC_Chief-

I think you're right in that we simply have different perspectives on what the Chiefs need most.

I will still reserve a 2nd Round pick for your HB…

Just because I like you.

xoxo~
gaz
declaring a stalemate.

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 03:21 PM
Heh heh - well, I like you too Gaz... but I must respectfully use the 1st on Henry, 2nd on Fatafehi, and 3rd on Mike Gandy. ;)

Unless, of course, Morgan miraculously falls into our collective laps! Then I would have a hard time with that 2nd pick... Fatafehi or A Thomas? Fatafehi or A Thomas? Fatafehi or...

Cannibal
01-10-2001, 04:46 PM
The combines are going to sort a lot of this out.

If Travis Henry has a bad combine he could fall in the draft, the same goes for all players.

A back that I like that very well could be had in the second round is Rudi Johnson out of Auburn.

hawaiianboy
01-11-2001, 11:23 AM
jl80.....

Looks like there still may be an outside shot at Morgan for you.

Koren Robinson, IMO, will go top 10 (though I'm hoping he falls to the the Raiders some how) once he goes through the combines.... The guy will be a star in the NFL.

Also.... I could see Seattle taking a shot at Quincy Carter at 10... if the Walrus decides he wants a QB to develop.

The wildcard appears to be SF... though their fans want to go DE.

He might be there for you at 12..........

......which means you'll take an OG!

NaptownChief
01-11-2001, 11:46 AM
Flyin',

It doesn't much matter at this point, we are forever destined to suck rope....The last time we went to the Super Bowl I was two years removed from birth...For all the reasons we haven't been since is probably all of the reasons why they will bury my ass before we go again...

Sincerely,

Disgruntled Chiefs Fan

Gaz
01-11-2001, 12:07 PM
Fellow Chiefs fans-

It is now clear that our Super Bowl drought is due to jl80's continued existence. If burying his ass is required to get the Lombardi, then I for one am [reluctantly] willing to pay that price.

I suggest we draw straws to see which of us sends him to sleep with the fishes.

xoxo~
gaz
hoping jl80 will take one for the team.

hawaiianboy
01-12-2001, 03:57 PM
gazmeister...

No need to draw straws ... I'll push the bum.

jleight...

I've seen a couple of mock drafts where your guys bypassed Morgan for a DT.... The latest being the cbssportsline....

NaptownChief
01-13-2001, 10:32 AM
The updated mock on the Draft Notebook has Morgan being available when we pick...Has us taking the big DE out of Missouri Justin Smith...that would be a good pick but not one that I could stomach if Morgan is still there:

http://draftnotebook.com/round_1.htm

milkman
01-13-2001, 02:47 PM
I just can't see how the 9ers would pass up Morgan. If they do and he should fall to our pick at #12, we'd be crazy to pass him up.
If the 9ers do pick him, as I expect, then if there is any team interested in trading up into the 12 spot, for their 1 and 2, I say we do it. With that later pick, go after a LB. Almost everyone's 2nd choice on this BB is Polley, or possibly Caver. I'm intrigued by Torrance Marshall. I'd pick him, move Maz to the middle, Donnie to the other side, DT's old position, allowing DE to utilize his speed and quickness in the same way that DT did, and put Marshall in DE's spot on the left side.
With the 2nd rd pick we get in the trade, I'd take a RB, Rudi Johnson or Lamont Jordan if they're there.

NaptownChief
01-13-2001, 04:05 PM
Milk,

Completely agree with your thinking...Except for Rudi Johnson in the 2nd...Don't like him that much. The guy I would love to get in the 2nd round is James Jackson and or Travis Henry. I don't see more than 4 RB's going in the 1st round...Henry and Jackson are the two I think that are most likely to move up after the combine. I think they are both faster than most people think and will go from a early 2nd round projection up to the middle of the 1st. But right now you have McCallister, Michael Bennett going in the top 15 on most draft boards. That would leave Henry, Jackson, Tomlinson and Jordan. Just due to the sheer numbers, two of those four fall into the 2nd round...I would only have mild interest in Tomlinson and Jordan...But if Henry or Jackson fall then I would do whatever necessary to move up early in the 2nd to get one of them...

milkman
01-13-2001, 04:23 PM
Jl80,
I feel that if the Chiefs do make a deal to get a lower 1st rd pick, and to get into the 2nd rd, then they should stand pat with that hand, which would mean that have have a late 2nd rd pick. I don't believe that Travis Henry will fall that far.
I've only seen Johnson once, but I was really impressed with his vision, something that only one back (Allen) in KC has in nearly 20 years. He also showed quick feet, and a burst to the hole. Those are attributes that can't be coached. They are natural, and instinctive.
I think he's going to be a good NFL RB.

milkman
01-13-2001, 04:30 PM
Another way to go, if the Chiefs do make a deal to get a lower 1st rd and into the 2nd, might be to take a RB in the 1st (Henry) and take a LB with the 2nd. Polley and Caver will be gone by then. A guy that might be there, who could wind up being a steal as a lower 2nd rd. is Markus Steele of USC, who battled an ankle injury for much of the season. He's athletic and fast, and a hard hitter. Could be the 2nd best of the group of LBs in this year's draft crop.
Just looked up his personal stats.
He's listed at 6'3", 225 lbs, with 4.5 speed.

[Edited by milkman on 01-13-2001 at 04:36 PM]

milkman
01-13-2001, 06:36 PM
Now as for the 3rd round, I'm kinda torn. Practicality tells me we have needs at OL, DL, CB, and to take the best availablin one of these areas.
But if Marcus(sp) Tuiasopo is there when we select, I say take him. Although he's not the most talented QB (he does have talent, though), he's a leader and a playmaker.
In the Rose Bowl, late in the 3rd qtr, early 4th, Huskies holding a tenuous lead, ball at around the Purdue 40 yd line, 4th and a yard. Neuheisel initially signals the punt team to take the field, Tuiasopo gestures to the sideline, indicating the distance needed to get a 1st down, and makes his plea to go for it. Neuheisel decides to go for it. This, to me, speaks volumes about the kind of respect Neuheisel has for Tuiasopo as a leader, and the confidence he has in him as a playmaker.
These are intangibles that just can't be taught.
This guy could be our QBoTF.

[Edited by milkman on 01-13-2001 at 06:41 PM]

NaptownChief
01-13-2001, 06:57 PM
Milk,

We are on the same page...as for your second possibility of RB late round 1 and then LB in the 2nd...I agree with you on Steele as a possibility. Keith Adams of Clemson would be another great fit...DraftNotebook.com, which is one of the more accurate services, updated their mock draft yesterday and they have Caver falling late in the 2nd round...I too would be very surprised if that happen but would be ideal for this scenario that you are talking about. One other sleeper that I really like that could fall into the 2nd round is Sederick Hodge of UNC...6'4" 230lbs with 4.5 speed. His number are very impressive: 82 tkls, 16 for a loss and 7 sacks...I really love that 6'4" frame with 4.5 speed....