PDA

View Full Version : Vick and Norv in SD ?

ROYC75
01-09-2001, 08:32 PM
This could be trouble in the future! Anybody think he will be a good Pro QB,or a good tailback? Anybody know his size,IMHO I feel he is better suited at a tailback than QB,I know he has a rocket arm,but I've seen him force to many balls for a good QB.

[Edited by ROYC75 on 01-09-2001 at 09:38 PM]

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-09-2001, 08:52 PM
Roy,

For at least a couple of years, Vick's going to make McNair look like Bart Starr. Vick <b>needed</b> to stay in school one more year and learn how to actually pass. He's again, another running back who can occassionally, and not very accurately, throw the ball.

He lives in the Big East more with his legs than with his QB smarts and throwing arm. It's seems like the average VT play the two games I watched him in this year went: hike, look right, run.

He may turn out to be an alright QB, but I'd hate to build my team around him. BTW, wasn't <b>Brees</b> supposed to be the Savior this year, the guy who was a can't miss QB, now he's like the third or fourth ranked QB on the draft charts?

I seem to recall everyone hollering for him last draft season to come out early....

Logical
01-09-2001, 08:53 PM
Careful Royc75,

I made the same observation last year and was called about everything derogatory you can imagine, primarily that I was being racist. It took forever and a huge amount of explaining to get them all off my back. I think Cannibal is still harboring ill will over that issue (but mostly politics). I certainly had no racist intent, just as I suspect you do not either. My advice, be prepared.

Cormac
01-10-2001, 05:31 AM
MCF,

Brees was regarded the only QB who might make the 1st round, and that was before Vick declared. He could do well with a west-coast offense like Holmgren's but from what I have seen, I wouldn't be all that impressed with him. I don't think he's a lock for success in the NFL. I don't know that any of this year's draft class is. JMHO.

KCTitus
01-10-2001, 06:53 AM
Vick is still an unproven commodity. After only his second year at Tech, questions remain as to his durability and ability to do something other than run with the football.

This last season Vick had trouble when his star WR (Davis?) was out hurting, he wound up getting sacked at one point and sprained his ankle. He never looked the same the rest of the season. Had Vick not had Lee Suggs to hand the ball to, it could have been even worse.

He's pretty awesome when he scrambles, but one has to remember who he's scrambling against - Akron, East Carolina, Rutgers, Boston College, West Virginia, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Central Florida, Temple...just to name a few.

Not exactly NFL grade defenses. If Vick goes to SD, he's still going to need a WR and a RB to complement him. Otherwise he may not survive.

ck_IN
01-10-2001, 07:06 AM
I'd guess that Vick is at least a three year project. He has more talent than McNair but to date McNair still isn't an NFL calibure QB. McNabb, another Vickish QB, looked very average against the Giants. This could pose a threat in a few years, but then again at one time we said the same of Leaf.

NaptownChief
01-10-2001, 07:06 AM
Brees will fall out of the 1st round after they see his size and arm strength at the combine...I have stated this multiple times on previous rants for the past several months...I saved the names of all the people who said I was crazy, just to give them a big "I told you so" after April 15....

As for Vick, he is an incredible athlete that just happens to be playing QB...He would be an All Pro DB with his size and speed, he would probably make a very good WR...But despite being very raw, he could develop into a very good QB...Right now he struggles with his accuracy, I think that can be corrected with good coaching cause the biggest part of his problem is inconsistent mechanics...On thing he has going for him is the success of Donavan McNabb...Another thing that will be crucial is the team that he goes to...A good QB can look horrible if the team around him stinks and by the same token a bad QB can look decent if he has weapons all around him...For example, Culpepper is a very good young QB and his development has come along quick because of all the weapons he has around him has given him quick success which only builds on his confidence...Cade McNown will probably be a good QB someday but he has looked pretty bad cause he is on a horrible team...If those two switched teams, Cade would probably be going to the Pro Bowl and the Chicago fans would probably be chanting "Trade Daunte"...So where he ends up will most likely determine how successful he will become...Vick is a gamble, but probably a gamble worth taking.

milkman
01-10-2001, 07:21 AM
Vick seems to be everyone's choice as the first pick overall. If was John Butler, I'd trade that pick for multiple picks, draft a RB and WR with my first 2 picks, and take M. Tuiasasopo(sp) in the 3rd rd, if he's available.

NaptownChief
01-10-2001, 07:27 AM
Milk,

I competely agree...I think there is a outside chance that they could deal that pick to Seattle for their 2 1st rounders...Homey wants a stud QB so that might actually fly.

Iowanian
01-10-2001, 07:44 AM
I actually wouldn't mind seeing the SD/Seattle swap...I've read that Seattle was thinking about taking DL Rogers and Seymour...I wouldn't mind seeing either one of those guys in red, assuming Morgan is gone..

If Drew Hensen comes out early, I think he is a more solid QB prospect than Vic..I wouldn't mind seeing the Chiefs use a 3rd pick on Rosenfels if he's still there...but maybe thats why I'm working on a computer instead of coaching foosball.

milkman
01-10-2001, 07:49 AM
I haven't seen Rosenfels, so I can't comment on him. But really like Tuiasasopo. He isn't the most talented QB, but he does have some talent, generally plays smart, is a leader, and just seems to make big plays and good things happen.

Iowanian
01-10-2001, 08:01 AM
Milkman,

I agree that your man looked pretty impressive the couple of times I watched, and in the rose bowl. I'm probably just partial because Sage is an Iowa Boy...he is pretty big, has a decent arm, and actually can move around a little...a good backup and future prospect...however, I don't think QB is the most pressing need.

milkman
01-10-2001, 10:36 AM
I just saw on ESPN's bottom line that Jamar Tombs has declared himself eligible for the draft.
This draft just keeps getting deeper. A team like SD could really help themselves by trading out of the top spot and getting multiple picks.
I'd really hate to see the Chiefs lose any picks as compensation for Vermeil.
In other NFL news, Tom Donahoe has been announced as the new president and GM in Buffalo.

Clint in Wichita
01-10-2001, 10:52 AM
The same lame "he lives with his legs" or "he should be a RB" has been used to describe almost every mobile QB entering the NFL in recent years.

It may take Vick 2, 3, or even 4 years to fulfill his potential, but we Chief fans can surely relate to that. His upside is bigger than 99% of all other QBs.

I think the fact that he'll probably end up with a division rival is causing some sour grapes on this BB.

milkman
01-10-2001, 10:58 AM
I agree with you Clint. Vick has huge potential. However, If I'm the GM in SD, with as many holes to fill that they have, I trade out of that top spot. This draft is really deep, and they could pick up a lot of good players.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-10-2001, 12:20 PM
Clint,

You can say it sounds like sour grapes all you wish. I live here in on the East Coast and watch the VT games on Saturday when they're not showing the ACC game of the week. Almost all the sportscasters around here, who watch him weekly say he's making a mistake, but they can't fault him for grabbing the money people are swearing he'll make. But he's a VERY rough passer and he throws into coverage WAY too much.

Vick's a great <b>athelete</b>, but I'm no more sold on him as a QB than I am Dansler down at Clemson.... They're both great rushers and adequate passers, but that's not what "I" look for in a QB.

If I want a great rusher, I'll draft one.

If someone wants Vick or Dansler for their QB, then you might as well bring back the old Wing T offense and just not have a QB. We saw how well McNair and McNabb did when the defenses kept them in the pocket and forced them to win the game with their arms. How many McNair passes hit the ground before they got to their target?

And no, I wouldn't want him for the Chiefs, even if he was available. I hope SD does get him.

Cannibal
01-10-2001, 01:18 PM
We saw how well McNair and McNabb did when the defenses kept them in the pocket and forced them to win the game with their arms.

I don't buy this argument at all.

You're going to base their play on one game?

Okay, well why don't we just base Grbac's play as a QB on the Atlanta game, or the Tampa Bay game last year, or the San Diego game last year...

McNabb is in the top 3 QB's in the entire league.

Vick is going to be drafted # 1 for a reason and it's not because he plays RB.

Gaz
01-10-2001, 01:31 PM
Defenses will adjust to the scrambling QBs, as they have adjusted in the past.

Once the scramblers are forced to stay in the pocket, they live or die on their accuracy and ability to read the D. That is what happened to McNair and McNabb. The Giants will do the same to Culpepper. He might have the accuracy and read to become a pocket passer, but the jury is still out on that one.

xoxo~
gaz
withholding wholesale adoration for a while longer.

hawaiianboy
01-10-2001, 01:37 PM
I'd take Vick in a heartbeat......

People need to consider that the exact same critiques were being placed on McNabb his first three years at the Cuse...

Vick could really use the extra polish time in college... but IMO, as long as some QB coach doesn't screw him up... he'll be a star inside 3 years........

Brees sucks!....He's the second coming of Ty Detmer.

Iowanian
01-10-2001, 01:51 PM
I've read that Henson may come out early from Michigan...If he does, I think he'll be the 1st QB taken...

Vic is a phenomenal athlete and I have little doubt that He could be polished into a great QB...or he could be Akili Smith JR...

once again: reasons i'm working on a computer instead of scouting the draft for money.

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 02:14 PM
Think Henson will be taken before Brees? I know a lot of people here have discussed the negatives surrounding the Purdue QB, but almost every single mock I've seen has him going 1st.

Iowanian
01-10-2001, 02:53 PM
HC,

I guess I dont' know what the Pros would do...I think that Brees has some talent, but he just doesn't impress me like I'd expect from the hype..He is 6'1 if he wears heals and just doesn't seem to have the flash...just something about him....I watched both Hensen, Brees and Rosenfels against my Hawkeyes the last couple of years...and I'd take both of them ahead of Brees....i think? I have a link to a scouting report that compares brees and henson, i'll try to find it in a minute...

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 03:00 PM
<i>My</i> personal pick for QB this year would be Marques Tuiasosopo...

but hey, I'm just a computer guy; what the heck do I know? ;)

Iowanian
01-10-2001, 03:03 PM
I think ol' Tapioca looked pretty good too:)

Check out this site...it has some decent lists and player profiles...http://www.users.qwest.net/~robandoreen/toptens.html

[Edited by Iowanian on 01-10-2001 at 04:06 PM]

Clint in Wichita
01-10-2001, 03:21 PM
Gaz,

The Vikings are going to tear the a_s out of the Giants IMO.

Gaz
01-11-2001, 07:01 AM
Clint-

I don't think all that much of the Giants. They do have home field advantage and it will be awful cold for those pampered domeboy Vikings. But I expect the Vikings Offense will score enough to beat the Giants.

xoxo~
gaz
steadfastly maintains that domes suck.

ROYC75
01-11-2001, 09:03 AM
Vick,Norv in SD...Here is a SD dream!

Gunther runs NFL top D
Norv calls Ryan his son,he responds to the Top NFL QB
Vick turns to a tailback,leads NFL rushing !
Mike Stock runs best ST in NFL!
SD goes from last to 1st,win SB!

Glad I woke up,that would ba a nightmare! hehehe