PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Davis and Greg Favors

ChiefsFanatic
01-10-2001, 11:59 AM
Anthony Davis contributes to the best scoring defense in league history, and Greg Favors is a starter on the defense that finished the season ranked #1. Who decided these guys could not cut it?

I know at the time there was talk about not being able to sign Davis and Edwards, but Davis never went on to sign a huge contract, then bounced from the Packers to the Ravens. And I always thought that Favors looked very promising, but he just disappeared form our roster.

We really could have used them this year. Patton's play dropped off, and I don't even have to say anything about Bush.

Was it Gunther that made these calls? Or Marty? Or Peterson?

gh4chiefs
01-10-2001, 12:04 PM
I can't remember the details exactly but didn't we lose Davis in the trade deal that brought Bam Morris to KC? Or was it another defensive guy?

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 12:05 PM
Letting Favors get away was a HUGE mistake IMO! He was in his 2nd year(?) - showed great promise, but we just let him slide because we had DT and Edwards.

Davis left via FA - Tennessee originally offered him big $, but he held out on them. They changed their minds and he was pretty much screwed (signed on with the Packers & played primarily a backup role).

Notorious GUN
01-10-2001, 12:12 PM
It was speculated last off-season that the reason Favors was cut was because he tested positive for some substance. I could be wrong, but that was the reason I thought.

Anthony Davis made ridiculous contract demands on KC when he was a free agent. Patton came much cheaper and in 99, Patton played very well with Donnie's move to the oustide. Davis, while played well when he was in KC, hasn't done jack since. But he might have the chance to go to the Superbowl, but only as a reserve.

gh4chiefs
01-10-2001, 12:14 PM
Yeah I suddenly remembered I was thinking of Vaughn Booker, he was the guy that we lost in the Bam Morris deal. Thanks for straightening me out on that HC.

morphius
01-10-2001, 12:21 PM
The reason Favors was let go is that he didn't appear to the coaches to be practicing and playing and hard a he should have in training camp, and I think it came down to either him or Maslowski.

So take your pick I guess.

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 12:27 PM
nope - Maz was not here.

morphius
01-10-2001, 12:42 PM
HC - Are you positive?

<b>Favors</b> - <i>Pro:</i> Excellent special teams player who was claimed by the Titans off waivers from Kansas City on Sept. 8, 1999…outstanding athlete who stepped up for Kansas City down the stretch as a rookie in 1998…originally drafted by the Chiefs as a fourth-round selection (120th overall) in the 1998 NFL Draft.

<b>Maslowski</b> - <i>Pro Career:</i> Hard-hitting and hard-working Wisconsinite earned his way onto the Chiefs roster in ’99, completing an arduous journey to the National Football League

Taken from both the Titans and Chiefs Home Pages.

DaWolf
01-10-2001, 12:47 PM
Favors was one of Cunningham's biggest errors, with him instead opting to keep personal favorite Gary Stills. The decision was sealed in the final preseason game against San Diego that year.

Davis wanted way too much money, and sealed his fate with the DUI...

morphius
01-10-2001, 01:04 PM
Dawolf - Yup, stills was drafted that year and they decided to keep him instead of Favors as well. Stills has been basically a flop, but with any luck a coach who realizes that pass rushing LB's that were good when they were standing up and not good in the three point stance might be able to get something out of him.

They killed me when they did it to DT, he never put up the numbers in the three point stance that he was when he started in the two point stance. Then they made the same mistake for Stills, these guys are not big enough to go up against a Tackle face to face, otherwise they would have been lineman and not LB's.

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 01:13 PM
Hmmm, I stand corrected. I could have sworn Favors was let go before we brought in Maz....

KC Jones
01-10-2001, 01:17 PM
I was of the opinion something happened with Favors in training camp that sealed his fate. I heard he came to camp out of shape and with a bad attitude so they cut him.

G_Man
01-10-2001, 01:38 PM
Davis wanted Donnie Edwards type money and the Chiefs weren't willing to pay. He also refused a breathalyzer test, I believe. Anyway, he ended up settling for less instead of coming crawling back to Carl.

As for Favors, we kept MANUSKY instead of him. i thought this was a horrible decision as I really liked Favors. The reasons I heard were the substance one and that he had lost his "fire".

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 01:46 PM
Yeah!!! MANUSKY!!! Thanks for the refresher G_man! :)

Pitt Gorilla
01-10-2001, 02:15 PM
Bam was traded for a fifth round pick, or something like that. I think Booker was swapped for Brinston Buckner in one of those rare player for player deals. I think.?.?

HC_Chief
01-10-2001, 02:18 PM
Vonnie Holliday(?) the player we received from the Packers. He was busted for drugs, we dropped him, then Ken's boy Ron Wolf re-signed him!