PDA

View Full Version : Worst World Series of all time?

BigRedChief
10-31-2006, 09:03 AM
Obviously I'm biased here. Some of you Royals fans might be biased too because you enjoyed it for a chance to root against the Cardinals but what about the rest of us here? Was it the worst WS ever?

Off of ESPN.com
By Jim Caple
Page 2
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/061030&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos1

ST. LOUIS -- OK, let's get the formalities out of the way first.
Congratulations, Cardinals. You're the world champions. No one gave you a chance and you proved everyone wrong. And Tony La Russa, take a bow for joining Sparky Anderson as the only managers with World Series championships in both leagues. As for you, David Eckstein? Way to go, man. You give hope to everyone in the real world that if you work hard and always hustle you can become a World Series hero even if you're only 5-foot-7, weigh 165 pounds and the commissioner doesn't know how to pronounce your name.
That about cover it all? Good. Now let's get to the heart of the issue.

http://espn.go.com/photo/2006/1030/snibbe_series.jpg
Kurt Snibbe

That was one of the worst World Series ever and probably the worst postseason of the expanded playoffs era. It set baseball back further than the script to "Major League II."

I'm sorry, but baseball's championship and premiere event should be about aching guys coming off the bench to hit walk-off home runs and aging pitchers throwing 10 shutout innings and fleet outfielders crashing into fences and acrobatic infielders diving for line drives. It should not be about pitchers repeatedly throwing balls into the outfield and a center fielder falling down on the wet ground and a third baseman who can't even get out of the way of a baserunner.

Is it any wonder that people would rather watch "Grey's Anatomy"?

Frazod
10-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Sour grapes from the bitter fan of a east coast team with a bloated payroll, enormous egos, and NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT, because WE WON.

4321 losers

tiptap
10-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Baseball is first about statistics. The game is played over 160 game season. The best teams are the teams with the best records. But during any week in the course of the season almost any team can be playing well. Even KC.

As such The World Series is a celebration of baseball rather than a statement about the best team. (this is true with most playoff situation in sports) So you will through the years, under the pressure of playoffs, get the total range of play you see in the regular season.

JBucc
10-31-2006, 09:12 AM
Every WS without the Royals is boring.

Stinger
10-31-2006, 09:12 AM
Eh .... To the media

No large market + no large ratings = Bad WS

I believe to them the only good WS is with the Yankees and Soxs, everything else is blah.

Now did the Tigers throw up all over themselves in the WS ... yes but same thing happened to the Cardinals a couple of years of go. Yet that was not considered a terrible WS.

noa
10-31-2006, 09:13 AM
I can't explain the low ratings, but it might have been caused by the fact that both of these teams stumbled into the playoffs and had virtually no momentum. The Twins put together a stunning playoff run and a lot people got behind them. Also, a large portion of the country was probably disappointed not to find the Yankees or the Mets there either.
As far as his comment about the pitching errors, I think he is absolutely right. I was looking forward to the Tigers 100 MPH pitchers giving a hard time to Pujols and the rest of the Cardinals, but they really shot themselves in the foot and just weren't that exciting.

Cochise
10-31-2006, 09:13 AM
I have to agree. I thought most of the games were horribly boring.

It's just not that fun to watch one team get to the series and puke all over themselves. Not only was Detroit's lineup quieter than the crowd at a Rams game, they seemed to make an error that scored runs at every opportunity. Falling down in the outfield, throwing balls into the seats or the outfield left and right. They looked like clowns who had no business being there, it wasn't fun to watch.

You want to see a titanic battle where one team has to win it, not just watch as the other team looks like they would be in last place in double A.

JBucc
10-31-2006, 09:14 AM
It probably wasn't really all that bad, just seem like it since the last few postseasons have been fun and had good storylines.

Cochise
10-31-2006, 09:16 AM
...you will through the years, under the pressure of playoffs, get the total range of play you see in the regular season.

Yeah, definitely. Sometimes you see a great, exciting series. Sometimes you get an ugly one. This was like if you went to an NFL game and had to sit through a 6-3 sewing match. Hey, a win is a win.

Stinger
10-31-2006, 09:17 AM
You want to see a titanic battle where one team has to win it, not just watch as one team looks like they would be in last place in double A.

Actually all of that usally happens in League Championship Series an not the world series. It reminds me of the NFL ... The NFC and AFC Championship is normally alot better than the Super Bowl. Like the NLCS was better than the WS this year.

htismaqe
10-31-2006, 09:17 AM
**** ESPN.

Two midwest teams = no east/west cost teams = bad WS

noa
10-31-2006, 09:21 AM
**** ESPN.

It wasn't the worst world series ever, but it wasn't a very good one either.

morphius
10-31-2006, 09:22 AM
I can't say that I watch much more then an hour of the entire series, but that really doesn't say anything other then I just didn't care about it.

I think they say it is more boring because they couldn't seem to find that one thing that they can harp on over and over and over and over and ov... It seems the nation needs "a story" like the Red Sox curse to make anything interesting to them any more. Maybe if St Louis would have had a vet in Iraq that was hit with a grenade, then recovered from being a paraplegic only to return to the Cards and speak out about Bush, maybe, just maybe they would have thought this was a great World Series.

Phobia
10-31-2006, 09:23 AM
I was happy for the Cardinals winning the WS but they're right. It was a boring series. Detroit looked like a high school team out there. It was ugly. Absolutely abysmal. If they were the best the AL had to offer, MLB needs to make major changes. I really don't think downsizing is a bad idea. I say all this as an ignorant non-fan of MLB, so keep that in mind as you read my useless drivel on the topic.

King_Chief_Fan
10-31-2006, 09:29 AM
I can't say that I watch much more then an hour of the entire series, but that really doesn't say anything other then I just didn't care about it.

I think they say it is more boring because they couldn't seem to find that one thing that they can harp on over and over and over and over and ov... It seems the nation needs "a story" like the Red Sox curse to make anything interesting to them any more. Maybe if St Louis would have had a vet in Iraq that was hit with a grenade, then recovered from being a paraplegic only to return to the Cards and speak out about Bush, maybe, just maybe they would have thought this was a great World Series.

exactly.

The St. Louis Cardinals.....YOUR 2006 world champions!!!!!

Ari Chi3fs
10-31-2006, 09:37 AM
Dude, all the errors by Tiger pitching was ludicrous, and very amatuer. The games werent that exciting, and the outcome was horrendous.

I agree. heh.

BigRedChief
10-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Dude, all the errors by Tiger pitching was ludicrous, and very amatuer. The games werent that exciting, and the outcome was horrendous.

I agree. heh.

Your son can come over and watch Cardinal games with us now that he's a "real" baseball fan.

StcChief
10-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Caple simply just KMA.

'The Tom and Jerry' cartoon approach here funny though.

BigRedChief
10-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Jason Stark article of espn.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2006/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2641363

A different view of the series.

ST. LOUIS -- Teams that win 83 games are supposed to spend the last week of October tackling those nasty doglegs left -- not winning the World Series. Teams that have worse records after the All-Star break than the Pirates aren't supposed to spend the last week of October winning the World Series.
Teams that let 8½-game September leads turn into half-game September leads aren't supposed to win the World Series. Teams that have the 13th-best record in baseball aren't supposed to win the World Series. Teams that don't figure out who the closer is until Sept. 27 aren't supposed to win the World Series. But now try and tell that to the St. Louis Cardinals (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=stl), the best 83-win team in the history of baseball. Yeah, tell it to the Cardinals, the improbable champions of America's most improbable sport. They won that World Series they were never supposed to play in Friday night, on an October evening that felt more suitable for the Iditarod than for baseball. They won a World Series with flash bulbs popping and fireworks sparkling and grown men and women sobbing. They won a World Series with a starting pitcher (Jeff Weaver (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6200)) who got dumped by his previous team to make room in the rotation for his own brother. They won a World Series with a Series MVP (David Eckstein (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6688)) who got non-tendered less than two years ago, with a loser (Adam Wainwright (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7048)) who was shocked to even find himself in the big leagues on Opening Day, with a catcher (Yadier Molina (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7345)) who had the lowest regular-season batting average (.216) of any World Series starter in more than 20 An 83-win baseball team beat a 95-win baseball team from Detroit. And if you listen closely, you can probably already hear the wailing from New York (and parts beyond) that if a team like the Cardinals can win the World Series, civilization as we know it is clearly in grave danger. Well, Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty could hear that moaning and groaning off in the distance Friday night, mere moments after his team's Series-clinching 4-2 win over the Tigers. And you could sum up his pained reaction in three words: "Isn't it great?" We'll explain later in this column why having an 83-win World Series champion is not a sign that baseball's playoff system is hopelessly screwed up. But first, we need to figure out exactly how this 83-win champion pulled this miracle out of its equipment bag.

Demonpenz
10-31-2006, 10:24 AM
I think the main reason the cards won was because they had more runs than the tigers

BIG_DADDY
10-31-2006, 10:26 AM
ESPN is just hacked because an East Coast team didn't win it. If the Yankee's won it the same way they wouldn't be saying any of this shit.

Alton deFlat
10-31-2006, 10:29 AM
ESPN is just hacked because an East Coast team didn't win it. If the Yankee's won it the same way they wouldn't be saying any of this shit.

Exactly!

Frazod
10-31-2006, 10:32 AM

Exactly. Those damn fly-over cities. Who the hell do they think they are?

Well, maybe they think they're the reigning NL and AL Champions. It's not the fault of anybody in Detroit or St. Louis that the New York teams choked.

Stinger
10-31-2006, 10:47 AM
I think the main reason the cards won was because they had more runs than the tigers

Thanks for that bit of info Mr. Berra

:)

Cochise
10-31-2006, 11:06 AM

Yeah, if Michael Vick had played in the series I bet we would be hearing about it. ROFL

I agree with them that the series was just plain ugly baseball. I don't think that can be argued. As far as the worst ever though... eh. I dunno. I thought the Boston thrashing of the Cardinals was the worst one ever. Total domination isn't want you want to see, especially if you are investing 5 nights watching it.

BigRedChief
10-31-2006, 11:10 AM
I thought the Boston thrashing of the Cardinals was the worst one ever.

Now that one I could believe as one of the worst ones of all time. We were never in it. Looked like chit. No competition at all for the Red Sox.

BIG_DADDY
10-31-2006, 11:10 AM
ESPN's east coast biase is shameless. I am just glad to see them totally missing the boat with MMA.

Cochise
10-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Now that one I could believe as one of the worst ones of all time. We were never in it. Looked like chit. No competition at all for the Red Sox.

I don't think this one was much different. But Detroit did win a game at least, even if they looked like they should be falling over hurdles in the special olympics instead in the rest of the games.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-31-2006, 11:20 AM
This is ridiculous.

People have been conditioned by the media to only care about the Yankees and the Red Sox because those are the only teams they even f*cking talk about. There is so much vested interest by the networks advocating for those teams to make it (because of the ratings they will bring in) that they feel cheated if they don't.

Caple, Neyer (Tigers in 3), Simmons (Quadruple A my ass) and the rest of the ESP-NY crew can go f*ck themselves. They don't know their elbow from their asshole.

Editor: Hey Jim, we want more people to watch baseball next year. We need to tell everyone that if it isn't New York, LA, Boston, or Chicago it doesn't matter. Tell everyone that was the worst World Series EVER!!

Jim: Yessum massa.

Cochise
10-31-2006, 11:36 AM
This is ridiculous.

People have been conditioned by the media to only care about the Yankees and the Red Sox because those are the only teams they even f*cking talk about. There is so much vested interest by the networks ...

I totally agree that ESPN has a huge bias towards the east coast teams. But I don't think they are wrong about this WS being ugly to watch. It just plain was.

ChiefsCountry
10-31-2006, 11:41 AM
It wasn't the most exciting baseball ever put it that way. While ESPN is a jackass organziation, it wasnt that good of a series. Now if it was like the Astros/Cards in 04 that was a heck of a series.

morphius
10-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Maybe they are just pissed because now they may actually have to travel to the midwest to actually cover the WS championship team, and why would they want to come and hang out in hicksville.

GoodDaySir!
10-31-2006, 11:56 AM
It was boring and the ratings seem to confirm it.

Chiefnj
10-31-2006, 12:17 PM

Yes, because people either love or hate the Yankees and extreme emotions = viewership. People will watch a Yankees postseason game because they want to see them lose. Nobody watched the Tigers or Cards because nobody (except for a small sliver of mid-America) cares one way about either team.

BigRedChief
10-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Yes, because people either love or hate the Yankees and extreme emotions = viewership. People will watch a Yankees postseason game because they want to see them lose. Nobody watched the Tigers or Cards because nobody (except for a small sliver of mid-America) cares one way about either team.

Let me guess.....You are a Yankees fan correct?

Cochise
10-31-2006, 12:33 PM
It was boring and the ratings seem to confirm it.

Guess you're right.. .according the baseball almanac, this year the World Series had a 10.1 rating, which is the lowest rating in the history of the World Series.

Games 1, 3, and 4 were the lowest ratings ever recorded for that game of the series. Game 5 (10.3) was not a record, but just narrowly above 2002's Game 5 (10.0). So 4 of the 5 games almost set a record low for ratings.

Reaper16
10-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Tigers played like absolute shit. It was WS where the only drama was wondering if the Tigers could stretch it to six games. Blah. Terrible series, regardless of the outcome.

Frazod
10-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Well, I look at this way. If the east coast talkingsportsheads didn't like it, GOOD.

If 10 million New York assholes felt slighted by it, GOOD.

If a bunch of advertisers who bombarded us with annoying commercials for shitty beer and over-expensive cars took it in the ass, GOOD.

If Fox is pissed because they didn't get enough exposure for there fall lineup, GOOD.

If BelowAverage is annoyed because a team I like just won a world championship, GOOD.

Seriously, if the results of the World Series or the teams involved annoyed you in any way, shape or form, just imagine, right now, that I'm pointing my finger right at your face and laughing at you. HAHAHAHAHA YOU F#CKING LOSER. nlm

Any questions? No? GOOD. Blow me.

BigRedChief
10-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Well, I look at this way. If the east coast talkingsportsheads didn't like it, GOOD.

If a bunch of advertisers who bombarded us with annoying commercials for shitty beer and over-expensive cars took it in the ass, GOOD.

If Fox is pissed because they didn't get enough exposure for there fall lineup, GOOD.

If BelowAverage is annoyed because a team I like just won a world championship, GOOD.

Seriously, if the results of the World Series or the teams involved annoyed you in any way, shape or form, just imagine, right now, that I'm pointing my finger right at your face and laughing at you. HAHAHAHAHA YOU F#CKING LOSER. nlm

Any questions? No? GOOD. Blow me.
Damn arrogant Cardinal fans :cuss:

Predarat
10-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Any World Series the Yankess won is tied for the worst.

StcChief
10-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Good drama for us....To keep in in STL in 5. Win at home.
The Busch ball park (the house that Albert built) got WS winner in it's first year.

Who cares what NY east coast thinks. Not me.

They can all just KMA.

Anyong Bluth
10-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Long and short of it: YES

OnTheWarpath58
10-31-2006, 02:13 PM

One of the best signs I saw at Game 5......(paraphasing)

2 hotdogs, 2 beers......$25

Cardinals Gear............$250

World Series Tickets....$2500

Watching the teams who knocked the two NY teams out of the playoffs play each other in the World Series......Priceless

StcChief
10-31-2006, 02:18 PM
One of the best signs I saw at Game 5......(paraphasing)

2 hotdogs, 2 beers......$25

Cardinals Gear............$250

World Series Tickets....$2500

Watching the teams who knocked the two NY teams out of the playoffs play each other in the World Series......Priceless

EXCELLENT.... The MC folks in Purchase NY won't like it. :p

OnTheWarpath58
10-31-2006, 02:22 PM
They were like 3 rows off the field in the left field corner, and every inning were trying to get on TV.....

Like FOX would EVER show that sign.....

alanm
10-31-2006, 02:25 PM
**** ESPN.

My sentiments exactly. Which means they'll try even harder to prevent that in the future.

WilliamTheIrish
10-31-2006, 03:19 PM
Boring my f'ing ass. Every game, save for game 1 was undecided into the 7th innning.

Yes, the Cards probably could have bunted every batter and still had an OB% of about .600... so f'ing what?

I learned long ago to not give one good damn about what writers.... excuse opinion makers think.

I know how great this game is and most of those games had great excitement.

I'm real f*cking sorry that it didn't go seven, so these piss poor assmonkeys would have more to write about.

What horseshit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Boring my f'ing ass. Every game, save for game 1 was undecided into the 7th innning.

Yes, the Cards probably could have bunted every batter and still had an OB% of about .600... so f'ing what?

I learned long ago to not give one good damn about what writers.... excuse opinion makers think.

I know how great this game is and most of those games had great excitement.

I'm real f*cking sorry that it didn't go seven, so these piss poor assmonkeys would have more to write about.

What horseshit.

Rep.

Chiefnj
10-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Let me guess.....You are a Yankees fan correct?

No. I'm one of those that hate them.

whoman69
10-31-2006, 06:59 PM
I think everyone downplays these teams because of the way they came into the series. For three quarters of the season the Tigers looked like the best team in baseball. The Cardinals won 100 games the last two season but were just banged up all year. The Cardinals were still banged up in the series with Pujols not hitting with a hamstring injury, Rolen really not recovered from his collision that knocked him out of the playoffs two years ago and cost him nearly an entire year, Edmonds out for two months and came back just before the playoffs, and series MVP Eckstein just gutting it out.
People really underestimate what an amazing job the Cardinal pitchers did throughout the playoffs. Rodriguez practically carried the Marlins to a series a few years ago and except for the game the Tigers won, he was totally quiet. The Cardinals shut down probably the best lineup in baseball in the Mets. And the Padres didn't have a chance despite being the hottest team in baseball coming into the playoffs. The Cardinals aren't going to be put up there with the '27 Yankees or even the '79 Pirates, but you can't just dismiss a team that was as good as they were over the last three seasons. If their pitching can build off of this series and the position players come back healthy, they could have a monster season next year and their third series trip in 4 years.

Garcia Bronco
10-31-2006, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't say it was boring.....when is the next game?

WilliamTheIrish
10-31-2006, 08:17 PM
I think everyone downplays these teams because of the way they came into the series. For three quarters of the season the Tigers looked like the best team in baseball. The Cardinals won 100 games the last two season but were just banged up all year. The Cardinals were still banged up in the series with Pujols not hitting with a hamstring injury, Rolen really not recovered from his collision that knocked him out of the playoffs two years ago and cost him nearly an entire year, Edmonds out for two months and came back just before the playoffs, and series MVP Eckstein just gutting it out.
People really underestimate what an amazing job the Cardinal pitchers did throughout the playoffs. Rodriguez practically carried the Marlins to a series a few years ago and except for the game the Tigers won, he was totally quiet. The Cardinals shut down probably the best lineup in baseball in the Mets. And the Padres didn't have a chance despite being the hottest team in baseball coming into the playoffs. The Cardinals aren't going to be put up there with the '27 Yankees or even the '79 Pirates, but you can't just dismiss a team that was as good as they were over the last three seasons. If their pitching can build off of this series and the position players come back healthy, they could have a monster season next year and their third series trip in 4 years.

Good luck to that. Going through 3 series of playoffs is grueling. In addition it's what has led MLB to 7 different champs in 7 years. Although playing in the NL does help.

shaneo69
11-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Boring?

Game 1 saw a controversial home run by Pujols (with a base open) to take the lead, and a great performance by a rookie pitcher. National writers will write it off as a lucky start by a future journeyman pitcher, but had it been a NY pitcher, Reyes would have a nickname like "El Duque" by now.

Game 2 was a close game and had the major controversy of Kenny Rogers' mystery dirt, but beyond that, a great pitching performance by him. Imagine how big it would've been had Curt Schilling, or Pedro Martinez, or Randy Johnson been the pitcher.

Game 3 was 2-0 until the 7th inning and saw Carpenter pitch another masterpiece. Imagine if that had been Roger Clemens who pitched that game. We'd still be hearing about it.

Game 4 saw the Cardinals come back from a 3-0 deficit to take a 4-3 lead in the bottom of the 7th, then the Tigers tied it up in the top of the 8th, then the Cardinals re-took the lead in the bottom of the 8th and won it 5-4. Doesn't get much more exciting than that.

Game 5 saw the Cardinals take a 1-0 lead, then Casey's HR gave the Tigers a 2-1 lead, then the Cardinals re-took the lead 3-2 before tacking on an insurance run later. The game ended with the winning run at bat.

Yeah, the Tigers played like crap, but anyone who actually watched the games and still says this was a boring series is a freakin' idiot.

I'll admit that I didn't watch an inning of last year's series, because I hate both the ChiSox and the Astros, but I'm not going to sit here and say that the 2005 World Series was boring just because I didn't like the teams that were there.

These writers should just be upfront about it and say that they could care less about the two teams in the series. Then they wouldn't have to bother writing about it.

Chief Henry
11-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Screw the East Coast media folks.

The Cardinals will forever have that 2006 World Series Champion in there column.....HELL YA.

BigRedChief
11-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Boring?

Game 1 saw a controversial home run by Pujols (with a base open) to take the lead, and a great performance by a rookie pitcher. National writers will write it off as a lucky start by a future journeyman pitcher, but had it been a NY pitcher, Reyes would have a nickname like "El Duque" by now.

Game 2 was a close game and had the major controversy of Kenny Rogers' mystery dirt, but beyond that, a great pitching performance by him. Imagine how big it would've been had Curt Schilling, or Pedro Martinez, or Randy Johnson been the pitcher.

Game 3 was 2-0 until the 7th inning and saw Carpenter pitch another masterpiece. Imagine if that had been Roger Clemens who pitched that game. We'd still be hearing about it.

Game 4 saw the Cardinals come back from a 3-0 deficit to take a 4-3 lead in the bottom of the 7th, then the Tigers tied it up in the top of the 8th, then the Cardinals re-took the lead in the bottom of the 8th and won it 5-4. Doesn't get much more exciting than that.

Game 5 saw the Cardinals take a 1-0 lead, then Casey's HR gave the Tigers a 2-1 lead, then the Cardinals re-took the lead 3-2 before tacking on an insurance run later. The game ended with the winning run at bat.

Yeah, the Tigers played like crap, but anyone who actually watched the games and still says this was a boring series is a freakin' idiot.

I'll admit that I didn't watch an inning of last year's series, because I hate both the ChiSox and the Astros, but I'm not going to sit here and say that the 2005 World Series was boring just because I didn't like the teams that were there.

These writers should just be upfront about it and say that they could care less about the two teams in the series. Then they wouldn't have to bother writing about it.

Bravo. :clap:

Nothing but East Coast bias BS.

thurman merman
11-01-2006, 08:38 PM
i thought it was just fine.

at least it wasn't a sweep like the last two years. boooooooooooring.

Garcia Bronco
11-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Baseball is boring...it is...fun to play....fun to go to a game....boring to watch

Frazod
11-01-2006, 09:06 PM
BTW, I've had a fun week in Chicago abusing Cub fans. They're carefully camouflaged as Bears fans, but I know who they are. I ask them "Tell, me, what's worse? The White Sox as World Champs or the Cardinals as World Champs?" Some say Cards, some say Sox, some just glare and twitch.

:fire:

Frazod
11-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Heh.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54778

Cardinals Apologize For Winning World Series

November 2, 2006 | Issue 42•44 (http://www.theonion.com/content/index/4244)
ST. LOUIS—Calling Friday night's victory on baseball's grandest stage "a terrible mistake," members of the St. Louis Cardinals issued a formal apology for making the playoffs, winning the World Series, and depriving baseball fans everywhere of a season featuring the kind of heartwarming, storybook ending to which they have grown accustomed in recent years.
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Cardinals-Apologize-R.article.jpg

"I'm still struggling to understand how this could have happened," said a sober Tony La Russa during a press conference following Game 5. "It seemed all but certain coming into this series that we were going to be a part of something truly special, that we would easily put the finishing touches on a magical season that inspired millions of fans around the country, but instead we somehow ended up winning."

"It's disappointing, to say the least," La Russa added. "We were rooting for the Detroit Tigers just like everyone else."
According to Cardinals players, they "tried absolutely everything" in their pursuit to earn the Tigers their first world championship since 1984, including eliminating the far more dangerous New York Mets in the NLCS, entering the series completely unrested after a grueling seven-game series, starting a rookie pitcher with five career wins in Game 1 in Detroit, and postponing Game 4 due to rain in the hopes that an off day would swing the momentum back in the Tigers' favor.

"I don't know what we could've done differently," second-baseman Ronnie Belliard said. "We gave the Tigers every opportunity to win ballgames, but when their pitchers keep making errors on simple ground balls, what are we supposed to do, pretend we forgot the rules and start running to third base?"

Desperate for a Tigers win in Game 2, the Cardinals chose to overlook the fact that starter Kenny Rogers was pitching with the aid of a foreign substance on his left hand.
"Of course we all knew it was pine tar, but it seemed like they were finally finding their rhythm… We certainly didn't want to shake their confidence, so we decided to just let it go," La Russa said. "Frankly, if the umpires didn't bring it up, we probably would've let him pitch with it the whole game."

After the final out of the World Series was recorded, the stunned Cardinals retreated to their dugout and watched with disappointed, glazed-over expressions as the Detroit Tigers—the feel-good team of the season whom everyone expected to win it all—packed up their equipment in the dugout across the diamond.

According to Albert Pujols, some teammates took the World Series victory harder than others.

"For a lot of young guys like [Anthony] Reyes and [Yadier] Molina, this was their first chance to see an exciting, inspirational, and truly deserving team win a championship," Pujols said. "Even though the outcome of this series has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, I can handle it, because I was there in 2004 when we were able to see Red Sox beat us in the World Series. Man, what an incredible feeling that was… Just watching those guys celebrate, I really felt like I was seeing history unfold before my eyes. It was definitely my greatest baseball moment."

"I hope we have the chance to see something like that again next year," Pujols added.

Reporters and sportswriters around the nation were critical of many of La Russa's successful managerial decisions, second-guessing such effective moves as leaving staff ace Chris Carpenter in for more than five innings in Game 3, and failing to bench third-baseman Scott Rolen, who batted a team-high .421 in the series. La Russa, however, said that things would be different next year.

"I think I speak for my players, the front office, the coaching staff, and every fan in St. Louis when I say that all season long, we had just one goal: bringing a championship to the great city of Detroit," La Russa said. "And even though we failed this time around, we will be committed to achieving similar goals next season."

In the somber clubhouse following the victory, Cardinals centerfielder Jim Edmonds admitted that "the wrong team won," but said that the outcome of the 2006 World Series is "just something we're unfortunately going to have to live with."

"Nobody thought we could do this, nobody thought we could stop this powerhouse team that beat the odds to go from worst to first and rolled through the playoffs looking like they were invincible," Edmonds said. "And we thought we had taken every possible step to prove them right."

"We shocked the world," Edmonds added. "We're sorry."

BigRedChief
11-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Heh.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54778

Cardinals Apologize For Winning World Series

November 2, 2006 | Issue 42•44 (http://www.theonion.com/content/index/4244)
ST. LOUIS—Calling Friday night's victory on baseball's grandest stage "a terrible mistake," members of the St. Louis Cardinals issued a formal apology for making the playoffs, winning the World Series, and depriving baseball fans everywhere of a season featuring the kind of heartwarming, storybook ending to which they have grown accustomed in recent years.
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Cardinals-Apologize-R.article.jpg

"I'm still struggling to understand how this could have happened," said a sober Tony La Russa during a press conference following Game 5. "It seemed all but certain coming into this series that we were going to be a part of something truly special, that we would easily put the finishing touches on a magical season that inspired millions of fans around the country, but instead we somehow ended up winning."

"It's disappointing, to say the least," La Russa added. "We were rooting for the Detroit Tigers just like everyone else."
According to Cardinals players, they "tried absolutely everything" in their pursuit to earn the Tigers their first world championship since 1984, including eliminating the far more dangerous New York Mets in the NLCS, entering the series completely unrested after a grueling seven-game series, starting a rookie pitcher with five career wins in Game 1 in Detroit, and postponing Game 4 due to rain in the hopes that an off day would swing the momentum back in the Tigers' favor.

"I don't know what we could've done differently," second-baseman Ronnie Belliard said. "We gave the Tigers every opportunity to win ballgames, but when their pitchers keep making errors on simple ground balls, what are we supposed to do, pretend we forgot the rules and start running to third base?"

Desperate for a Tigers win in Game 2, the Cardinals chose to overlook the fact that starter Kenny Rogers was pitching with the aid of a foreign substance on his left hand.
"Of course we all knew it was pine tar, but it seemed like they were finally finding their rhythm… We certainly didn't want to shake their confidence, so we decided to just let it go," La Russa said. "Frankly, if the umpires didn't bring it up, we probably would've let him pitch with it the whole game."

After the final out of the World Series was recorded, the stunned Cardinals retreated to their dugout and watched with disappointed, glazed-over expressions as the Detroit Tigers—the feel-good team of the season whom everyone expected to win it all—packed up their equipment in the dugout across the diamond.

According to Albert Pujols, some teammates took the World Series victory harder than others.

"For a lot of young guys like [Anthony] Reyes and [Yadier] Molina, this was their first chance to see an exciting, inspirational, and truly deserving team win a championship," Pujols said. "Even though the outcome of this series has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, I can handle it, because I was there in 2004 when we were able to see Red Sox beat us in the World Series. Man, what an incredible feeling that was… Just watching those guys celebrate, I really felt like I was seeing history unfold before my eyes. It was definitely my greatest baseball moment."

"I hope we have the chance to see something like that again next year," Pujols added.

Reporters and sportswriters around the nation were critical of many of La Russa's successful managerial decisions, second-guessing such effective moves as leaving staff ace Chris Carpenter in for more than five innings in Game 3, and failing to bench third-baseman Scott Rolen, who batted a team-high .421 in the series. La Russa, however, said that things would be different next year.

"I think I speak for my players, the front office, the coaching staff, and every fan in St. Louis when I say that all season long, we had just one goal: bringing a championship to the great city of Detroit," La Russa said. "And even though we failed this time around, we will be committed to achieving similar goals next season."

In the somber clubhouse following the victory, Cardinals centerfielder Jim Edmonds admitted that "the wrong team won," but said that the outcome of the 2006 World Series is "just something we're unfortunately going to have to live with."

"Nobody thought we could do this, nobody thought we could stop this powerhouse team that beat the odds to go from worst to first and rolled through the playoffs looking like they were invincible," Edmonds said. "And we thought we had taken every possible step to prove them right."

"We shocked the world," Edmonds added. "We're sorry."
Funny chit man. Thanks for the find. I don't get to the onion as much as I use to.
Yeah I'm sorry too.:rolleyes:

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-02-2006, 11:49 AM
That was classic.