PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 2.0 Goes Final

DaFace
10-31-2006, 10:43 AM
This is actually a week old, but no one has posted it. FireFox release 2.0 is now in available for download. It doesn't show up as an "automatic update," so you'll have to manually download and install it.

http://www.getfirefox.com/

StcChief
10-31-2006, 11:50 AM
cool thanks...

wutamess
10-31-2006, 11:53 AM
It better not screw up my extensions like the 1.5 did... Had a helluva time trying to figure out how to get launchy to work again after the "upgrade".

Frosty
10-31-2006, 12:11 PM
I just upgraded and didn't have any problems with my extensions. I had to update the Tabbed Browsing extension, but it told me that during the upgrade.

The built in spell checker is pretty cool.

DaFace
10-31-2006, 01:08 PM
It actually handled the extension thing very well. On installation, it told me a couple of mine wouldn't work and disabled them. Another it told me wouldn't work, but then it automatically found an updated version.

Like arc mentioned, one of my favorite additions is that it spell checks as you type (a la MS Word, etc). Pretty sweet. :thumb:

Reaper16
10-31-2006, 01:47 PM
That built-in spell checker is a message board REVOLUTION

wutamess
10-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Reinstalled...
Scared the shit out of me.
Nothing worked...
Couldn't select anything in the history,
No links in the bookmark window.
Had to reinstall the bookmarks... They didn't work.

Rebooted... Nothing.

Reinstalled 2.0 again and it seems to have taken.
Scared shitless!

wutamess
10-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Another issue I have with Firefox in general is when you're in a web page and hit Control-N to open a new window it opens to your homepage instead of to the same page like IE.

Anyone know a work around?

Miles
10-31-2006, 09:02 PM
It actually handled the extension thing very well. On installation, it told me a couple of mine wouldn't work and disabled them. Another it told me wouldn't work, but then it automatically found an updated version.

Like arc mentioned, one of my favorite additions is that it spell checks as you type (a la MS Word, etc). Pretty sweet. :thumb:

Yeah it was a very clean and easy install. Auto updated all of my extensions with no problem.

irishjayhawk
10-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Another issue I have with Firefox in general is when you're in a web page and hit Control-N to open a new window it opens to your homepage instead of to the same page like IE.

I don't understand why it matters. If you're opening a new window you obviously don't want the SAME page....

wutamess
10-31-2006, 11:32 PM
I don't understand why it matters. If you're opening a new window you obviously don't want the SAME page....

Because for example, Fantasy Football on Sundays I have 3 leagues on CBS So I go to the main FFL page and hit control N... so I have to click all of 3 extra links to get to the page I want to be at.

I know... I'm nitpicking but it was convenient for me.

Another thing... If I'm in a site and I may want to go back to another page without leaving the page I had open... IE did that.

I could have one window open, hit Control N, another window pops open at the exact same page and I can click back to go to the page I want.

The latter example is more pertinent.

DaFace
10-31-2006, 11:58 PM
Because for example, Fantasy Football on Sundays I have 3 leagues on CBS So I go to the main FFL page and hit control N... so I have to click all of 3 extra links to get to the page I want to be at.

I know... I'm nitpicking but it was convenient for me.

Another thing... If I'm in a site and I may want to go back to another page without leaving the page I had open... IE did that.

I could have one window open, hit Control N, another window pops open at the exact same page and I can click back to go to the page I want.

The latter example is more pertinent.

I actually have missed that since making the switch, too. If you happen to run across a solution, make sure to let me know!

Guru
10-31-2006, 11:59 PM
That built-in spell checker is a message board REVOLUTION
I am loving that feature.

ChiefsFan4Life
11-01-2006, 10:14 AM

I think this extension would take care of what you want: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2221/

DaFace
11-01-2006, 10:56 AM
I think this extension would take care of what you want: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2221/

Awesome! That works perfectly. Thanks a ton.

wutamess
11-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Found exactly what I'm looking for...
Thanks for showing me where to start CF4Life

http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/
Clone Window
Version 0.2.8

I think I'm in love.

DaFace
11-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Found exactly what I'm looking for...
Thanks for showing me where to start CF4Life

http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/
Clone Window
Version 0.2.8

I think I'm in love.

What does it do that CF4Life's add-in didn't?

wutamess
11-01-2006, 09:06 PM
What does it do that CF4Life's add-in didn't?

It allows you to open a new window/firefox session By hitting control N and having a new window at thee xact same place as the previous with history and all.

CF4's only did tabs.
I don't like using tabs.

Now my FF is just like IE Yippeee.

DaFace
11-01-2006, 09:09 PM
It allows you to open a new window/firefox session By hitting control N and having a new window at thee xact same place as the previous with history and all.

CF4's only did tabs.
I don't like using tabs.

Now my FF is just like IE Yippeee.

Gotcha. I'm into tabs, so CF4's works great for what I wanted.

ChiefFan31
11-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Firefox pwns. I will download this when I get home later. Thanks for the link :rockon:

JBucc
11-02-2006, 05:06 PM
I tried it some when dude man posted the beta version a while back. The spell checker is pretty cool but overall I like Opera better than Firefox.