PDA

View Full Version : Hey Donx Fans - Do You Want Gunther?

Frazod
01-10-2001, 09:48 PM
I know you guys have been kind of scarce around here since the Ravens bitch-slapped the Donx out of the playoffs, but if any of you are lurking, I'm curious - would you want Gun? Why or why not?

DaWolf
01-10-2001, 09:55 PM
If you hire him, he's good. Just make sure he doesn't have to play any "razzle dazzle" offenses...

DJay23
01-10-2001, 10:34 PM
You know that the way his firing was handled he'll put in EXTRA effort against the Chiefs.

I have a feeling Shanahan will snap Gun up because he won't need to give up comp (like I believe he will for Rhodes) and Gun has intimate knowledge of our players.

Mile High Mania
01-11-2001, 09:07 AM
I Think the Broncos may have to give up a pick regardless of whether they get Rhodes or Gunther. Rhodes would be my first choice, but I would be happy to give Gunther a shot.

You guys have always been very big on Gunther as a great DC, so I don't wanna hear any BS about him being worthless.

Gaz
01-11-2001, 09:12 AM
MHM-

Our players made him a good DC. In Denver, he will be dragged down to Broncos level and will only appear to sucků

Okay, that was blatant smack. I liked Gunther at DC and would be just as happy if he went elsewhere and left the Broncos to wallow in their Defensive ineptitude.

Good luck deciphering his press conferences.

xoxo~
gaz
would have liked Gunther to remain as DC in KC.

HC_Chief
01-11-2001, 09:27 AM
Gunther is a damn good DC. He promotes a <i>very</i> aggressive philosophy: bump & run outside, stuff the running game, kill the QB.

BTW - both Rhodes and Gunther were fired; meaning no compensation is required for hiring them.

Mile High Mania
01-11-2001, 09:32 AM
That's what I like to hear... I also read today that Denver received two additional 4th round picks and another 7th round pick for guys they traded last year (Watson, Wayne, Paul).

Whoo hooo... Shanny likes those mid rounds and if we can get an old school DC to come in and whip these guys into a frenzy, I'm all for it.

Like I've said, Rhodes is my first pick... but, Gunther adds that rival flair to the KC/Denver games, so I'm all for that as well.

Bob Dole
01-11-2001, 01:43 PM
It appears that Shanarat agrees that Gunther is a good DC, since he interviewed him Wednesday.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2001/01/11/thursday_roundup_ap/index.html

Red and Gold Mania
01-11-2001, 02:49 PM
Gunther's defenses sucked arse in 98,99 and 2000.

In 1998 i remember getting blown up by the patriots, the Bus running all over us on the MNF game, and not being able to stop fricking 35 year old Bubby Brister from scrambling into the endzone.

They can have his arse in Denver.

HC_Chief
01-11-2001, 03:07 PM
Rhodes was <i>not</i> fired... Washington still owns rights to him - meaning compensation would be in order.

'99 and '00 were not true Cunningham Ds... those were Kurt Schottenheimer Ds.

'98 was the year our team forgot how to tackle. Most of them still don't remember...

DaWolf
01-11-2001, 03:25 PM
Don't forget '96. The defense couldn't stop jack on 3rd down. Seemed to me in Gun's tenure here as DC he had a great D in '95, then teams figured it out in '96 and he could not adjust. Come '97 he came up with the "Falcon" defense and they tore it up in the 2nd half of the season, after struggling a bit in the first half. They still gave up big plays but got so many turnovers it didn't matter. That was an exciting D. But in '98 people figured it out and neutralized the "Falcon" and we struggled big time. And of course the last two years have been pathetic under Kurt Schottenheimer...

Red and Gold Mania
01-11-2001, 05:46 PM
Da Wolf,

Valid point. That falcon scheme was another one of those Cunningham's blunders in my opinion. I went to the second game in 1998 which was against Jaksonville. Boselli handled Derrick Thomas like a little bitch coming of a defensive end spot. We had no pass rush the whole game, and McCardell and Smith burned McMillan AND Hasty big time. It was obvious right there that falcon scheme was a failure. Derrick was smaller and undersized. Gunther continued to use it and we payed for it.

They can have his sleep deprived butt in Denver. We will be able to run on them even more.

Taco John
01-12-2001, 02:43 AM
It is my belief that Ray will be signed with Denver by Monday or Tuesday. The major reason, to me, is that we can't give Kansas City the opportunity to sign Rhodes. We all know that Gunther isn't going to coach there... So if we pass over Gunther, he won't come back to haunt us on the team of a division rival. If we pass over Rhodes, you can bet that Kansas City would throw everything they have at him.

DaWolf
01-12-2001, 10:20 AM
Good point Taco John. I didn't even know we were interested in Rhodes until I heard Vermiel was going to talk to him next week...

Alton deFlat
01-12-2001, 01:43 PM
If the Broncos hire Gunther, they also have to take Dale Carter back. They're a package deal aren't they? Cunningham will build they're defense up, but Carter will tear it back down.

Otter
01-13-2001, 10:41 AM
I'd be very weary in hiring Gunther. Your banking your defense on a man who just had his life-long dream crumble before his eyes then had the rug swept out from underneath him only to sit back and watch that same organization's hope and faith restored because of his exile.

Also keep in mind, Gun was great under Marty, a defensive genuis. Where was he before and after Marty wasn't around?

But hey - as a Chiefs fan who is deep down in a dark place hoping the above is true, I say take him and make him DC. While your at it, make him public relations director as well. He's a hell of speaker.