PDA

View Full Version : Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Snubbed Again

kc rush
10-31-2006, 04:12 PM
I know I'm biased, but give me a break. Rush snubbed again. :cuss:

Rock Hall of Fame names nominees for `07

Van Halen is trying to make their biggest "jump" yet ó into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, with potential 2007 classmates such as R.E.M., Chic, and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

All are among the nine nominees for enshrinement in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland. A panel of 500 industry experts will select five to be inducted at the annual ceremony, to be held March 12 in New York City.

To be eligible, artists must have issued a first single or album at least 25 years prior to nomination.

Van Halen and R.E.M. came from opposite sides of the 1980s rock 'n' roll spectrum. Led by cartoonish frontman David Lee Roth and fleet-fingered guitarist Eddie Van Halen, the California quartet was a hard rock favorite with songs like "Jump" and "Hot for Teacher." R.E.M., meanwhile, was the quintessential indie rock band until breaking through to mass success in the early 1990s.

Grandmaster Flash led the most innovative act in early hip-hop, and the song "The Message" was like a letter from urban America.

Chic, a funk group led by Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers, were one of the few acts to dominate the disco era and emerge with their reputation intact through songs such as the wedding band favorite "Good Times."

Other nominees include Patti Smith, the punk rock poet who recently presided over the closing of New York's legendary CBGB nightclub; British invader the Dave Clark Five; Phil Spector favorites the Ronettes; soul singer Joe Tex; and the Stooges, early home of Iggy Pop.

LINK (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061031/ap_en_mu/music_rock_hall_4)

siberian khatru
10-31-2006, 04:15 PM
The place is an absolute joke.

KcMizzou
10-31-2006, 04:34 PM
I bag on Rush a lot, (mostly to give Halfcan a hard time) and I'm not a big fan of theirs... but it's silly that they aren't in already.

Chiefnj
10-31-2006, 05:05 PM
No Kiss, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple or even Genesis? Chic?? Who/What the hell is Chic? Grandmaster Flash of hip-hop fame?

Reaper16
10-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Chic? Really? This is huh wow

Adept Havelock
10-31-2006, 05:45 PM
Who/What the hell is Chic?

Will Patton's character in Armageddon.

StcChief
10-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Two A$$ warts that DO NOT belong in anything associated with Rock 'n Roll.....

Grandmaster Flash led the most innovative act in early hip-hop, and the song "The Message" was like a letter from urban America.

Chic, a funk group led by Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers, were one of the few acts to dominate the disco era and emerge with their reputation intact through songs such as the wedding band favorite "Good Times."

Halfcan
10-31-2006, 06:56 PM
ROFL So it is the Blues/Rap/Disco Hall of Shame now??

Next year it will be Boy George, Wham, Michael Jackson, and Cyndi Lauper. Girls just wannt to have fun class of 2008

Halfcan
10-31-2006, 06:58 PM
I hope Rush never gets nominated and if they do- Rush tells them to kiss their Canadian white asses.

Lzen
10-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Geddy Lee is a bust.

:D

tk13
10-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Don't even get me started on that place. I don't know how on earth Genesis can't get in there, they should be in ahead of a lot of those bands. If not just for their music, their concert and music innovations. But whatever.

Halfcan
10-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Rush won't get in because Geddy is Jewish.

Simplex3
11-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Yet further proof that the entire entertainment industry has somehow managed to do the impossible. They've found a way to suck their own d**k WHILE their head is in their own ass.

Halfcan
11-01-2006, 12:31 AM
KISS fans are going to burn down the place.

Guru
11-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Yet further proof that the entire entertainment industry has somehow managed to do the impossible. They've found a way to suck their own d**k WHILE their head is in their own ass.

Thanks for that laugh man. Outstanding post. ROFL

kc rush
11-01-2006, 08:43 AM

Gene Simmons is Jewish too :hmmm:

Dark Horse
11-01-2006, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't put much stock in it, kind of like the AMA. Music is too subjective a topic for some clown to tell me whats good.

Halfcan
11-01-2006, 02:39 PM
I think they have a lot of resentment from the Industry in the whole, because they did it all on their own. Rush owns their own label and the Masters of everyone of their songs. They have never cared about the Press-and were inventing Prog Rock when lame-ass bands like Chic where getting force feed down the Publics throat in the Disco Fever days.

Braincase
11-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Gene Simmons is Jewish too :hmmm:

So is Paul Stanley. They're like the William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy of Hard Rock.

Brock
11-01-2006, 03:28 PM

Either that or because he can't sing.

Halfcan
11-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Either that or because he can't sing.

He is no David Lee Roth that is for sure-maybe they will put Daves Spandex crotchless tights in a glass case to preserve forever.

Brock
11-01-2006, 03:38 PM
He is no David Lee Roth that is for sure-maybe they will put Daves Spandex crotchless tights in a glass case to preserve forever.

Yeah. But at least Dave didn't turn into a potted plant on stage.

siberian khatru
11-01-2006, 04:02 PM
and were inventing Prog Rock

Uh, no.

The roots of progressive rock date back to the late 1960s. It blossomed with Yes, Genesis, ELP, etc. in the early to mid-1970s. In fact, Neil Peart was influenced by Mike Giles, the original drummer for King Crimson, whose 1969 debut album "In the Court of the Crimson King" is widely credited as starting the prog-rock movement (you could also make an argument for the Moody Blues' "Days of Future Passed" and even some Beatles stuff).

I like Rush. I'm a fan. But don't oversell them. They don't need to be oversold.

JBucc
11-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Who cares. The Rock and Roll HOF is stupid.

Halfcan
11-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Uh, no.

The roots of progressive rock date back to the late 1960s. It blossomed with Yes, Genesis, ELP, etc. in the early to mid-1970s. In fact, Neil Peart was influenced by Mike Giles, the original drummer for King Crimson, whose 1969 debut album "In the Court of the Crimson King" is widely credited as starting the prog-rock movement (you could also make an argument for the Moody Blues' "Days of Future Passed" and even some Beatles stuff).

I like Rush. I'm a fan. But don't oversell them. They don't need to be oversold.

2112-enough said.

kc rush
11-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Uh, no.

Rush was the first or one of the first to fuse progressive music with hard rock/metal. They were admittedly influenced by Yes, Genesis, and other prog bands.

siberian khatru
11-01-2006, 04:50 PM
2112-enough said.

Which came out 2 years after "Tales From Topographic Oceans" and "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway."

Like I said, you don't need to oversell the band. But you don't do yourself or Rush any favors by pimping them as somehow carrying the Prog tablets down from Mount Rock.

siberian khatru
11-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Rush was the first or one of the first to fuse progressive music with hard rock/metal. They were admittedly influenced by Yes, Genesis, and other prog bands.

I'm more sympathetic to the Prog Metal argument. Groups like Dream Theater were influenced by Rush. But I also think you see adventurous hard rock from the likes of Led Zep and The Who prior to Rush.

listopencil
11-01-2006, 05:10 PM
At this point I think Rush fans are just going to have to accept the fact that Rush just isn't that good.

Reaper16
11-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Uh, no.

:clap:

Halfcan
11-01-2006, 05:27 PM
At this point I think Rush fans are just going to have to accept the fact that Rush just isn't that good.

There are about 25 million fans around the world that would disagree with ya.

Halfcan
11-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Which came out 2 years after "Tales From Topographic Oceans" and "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway."

Like I said, you don't need to oversell the band. But you don't do yourself or Rush any favors by pimping them as somehow carrying the Prog tablets down from Mount Rock.

Oh yes can't forget lamb lies down on Broadway- ROFL probably is already in the Hall of Shame!

I liked Silance of the Lambs better.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2006, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't put much stock in it, kind of like the AMA. Music is too subjective a topic for some clown to tell me whats good.

Exactly.....music, like movies are waaay to subjective to try and determine who is deserving and who isnt. Sort of like the Oscars.

Alot of these bands in the HoF never won Grammy Awards as well.

I dont need some elitist organization to try and tell me whats good music and what isnt. I think most of us can judge on our own.

tk13
11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Oh yes can't forget lamb lies down on Broadway- ROFL probably is already in the Hall of Shame!

I liked Silance of the Lambs better.
Okay, halfbrain. Now it's on. I don't sit here trying to sell everyone on Genesis, but at least they never had a lead singer who sounded like his nuts were permanently vice gripped in a Foreman Grill.

siberian khatru
11-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Okay, halfbrain. Now it's on. I don't sit here trying to sell everyone on Genesis, but at least they never had a lead singer who sounded like his nuts were permanently vice gripped in a Foreman Grill.

Thanks, I was hoping you had my back.

kc rush
11-01-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm more sympathetic to the Prog Metal argument. Groups like Dream Theater were influenced by Rush. But I also think you see adventurous hard rock from the likes of Led Zep and The Who prior to Rush.

Pre-Peart Rush definitely shows a Zep influence, and they have all mentioned how much they were influenced by The Who. I would say that Rush did take prog metal to the forefront.

Reaper16
11-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Pre-Peart Rush definitely shows a Zep influence, and they have all mentioned how much they were influenced by The Who. I would say that Rush did take prog metal to the forefront.
I don't think they ever achieved prog metal, though they flirted with it big time and were huge influences on it.

Halfcan
11-02-2006, 04:27 PM

Funny how morons on here make fun of Geddy and Rush, calling them faggots and other shit-but when I slight an album most folks have never heard of-you resort to name calling??

With all the shitty so called music out there and with Rappers that shoot and kill people to get their "street rep" it never fails to surprise me that the media and other small minded idiots make fun of the greatest band ever.

Halfcan
11-02-2006, 04:31 PM

Anyone that buys the incredible CD Feedback can hear their influences. Rush has their own sound that can never be put in a category-Prog metal, hard rock, new wave, punk, ect... then there is RUSH!

As far as the Hall of Shame-those racist c#cksuckers don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Rush.

Reaper16
11-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Funny how morons on here make fun of Geddy and Rush, calling them pillowbiters and other shit-but when I slight an album most folks have never heard of-you resort to name calling??

With all the shitty so called music out there and with Rappers that shoot and kill people to get their "street rep" it never fails to surprise me that the media and other small minded idiots make fun of the greatest band ever.
I haven't seen anyone make fun of the greatest band ever.

And really, who hasn't heard of Genesis? If "most folks" have never heard of Genesis, then "most folks" haven't heard of Rush, either.

memyselfI
11-02-2006, 07:30 PM
YES needs to go before Rush. Without YES, Rush could not have existed in the same form.

FTR, YES is one of my favorite bands and Rush one of my least. Jon Anderson's high pitch is beautiful while Getty Lee's is fingernails on a chalkboard.

Halfcan
11-02-2006, 07:41 PM
YES needs to go before Rush. Without YES, Rush could not have existed in the same form.

FTR, YES is one of my favorite bands and Rush one of my least. Jon Anderson's high pitch is beautiful while Getty Lee's is fingernails on a chalkboard.

ROFL

Halfcan
11-02-2006, 07:50 PM
All of you Rush haters including the HOSHIT can kiss my ass-you talk shit about Geddys voice but probably have only heard one or two songs that the radio deems okay to play. Meanwhile they will continue to put out Gold and Platinum CD's, continue to sell millions of DVD's and will sell out everywhere they play. Go hate on another band for awhile-there are plenty of shitty bands and artist out there.

Reaper16
11-02-2006, 08:02 PM
All of you Rush haters including the HOSHIT can kiss my ass-you talk shit about Geddys voice but probably have only heard one or two songs that the radio deems okay to play. Meanwhile they will continue to put out Gold and Platinum CD's, continue to sell millions of DVD's and will sell out everywhere they play. Go hate on another band for awhile-there are plenty of shitty bands and artist out there.
The ONLY reason there is so much Rush hate is because you talk about them so much, and with so much hyperbole. Even I feel the need to talk ish on them a little, and I'm a fan. Not just a radio fan either; my fav album by them is "Hemispheres."

Because you inundate the board with your flood of Rush-tinged man-splooge, people feel the need to hate just to get at you a bit.

ChiefFripp
11-02-2006, 08:16 PM
The ONLY reason there is so much Rush hate is because you talk about them so much, and with so much hyperbole. Even I feel the need to talk ish on them a little, and I'm a fan. Not just a radio fan either; my fav album by them is "Hemispheres."

Because you inundate the board with your flood of Rush-tinged man-splooge, people feel the need to hate just to get at you a bit.

Peart is going to F* you up by doing a trot on your forehead to the beat of YYZ.

Rush is good to listen to every now and then. Witch Hunt and Subdivisions are probably my two favorite Rush tunes. I can definately understand why most people either love or hate Rush though.

Halfcan
11-02-2006, 08:17 PM

I did not start this thread-matter of fact, I have not even started a Rush thread in ages. Most of the time if I respond it is because some nutsack is calling me out. But if you want I can start a thread everyday talking about their many awards and Millions of albums sold worldwide.

Rush has been hated since the early days by the media and Record ex-so you think it really matters to the real fans??

tk13
11-02-2006, 08:24 PM
I didn't insult anyone. You were the one throwing crap at my favorite band, so I was flinging some crap back in your direction. If you're going to freak out over it then don't start it. Not too difficult there buddy. I don't really have a problem with Rush, they're very talented musicians. You just go way overboard with it.

Reaper16
11-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Peart is going to F* you up by doing a trot on your forehead to the beat of YYZ.

He's got severe anger management issues then. Why would he "F* me up" when I said I was a fan that went deeper than radio singles? Makes no sense to me.

siberian khatru
11-02-2006, 08:48 PM
My band can beat up your band! Nyah!

http://xad.xanga.com/3aca2b5412d3559091587/b39605507.jpg

Archie F. Swin
11-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Rush has their own sound ...

Devo has their own sound too

gosh, playing with Halfcan is fun!

KcMizzou
11-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Devo has their own sound too

gosh, playing with Halfcan is fun!Isn't it though?

Being a fan is one thing, but damn!

ChiefFripp
11-05-2006, 07:52 PM
He's got severe anger management issues then. Why would he "F* me up" when I said I was a fan that went deeper than radio singles? Makes no sense to me.
Ok, I called Neil, everything is cool.

tk13
11-07-2006, 01:43 PM
I didn't see Rush announcing a tour with a concert at the Roman Coliseum today for 300,000 screaming fans.. oh wait, that was Genesis. :)

Sorry, I had to do that.

siberian khatru
11-07-2006, 01:49 PM
I didn't see Rush announcing a tour with a concert at the Roman Coliseum today for 300,000 screaming fans.. oh wait, that was Genesis. :)

Sorry, I had to do that.

Unfortunately, it's all European dates. :cuss:

chagrin
11-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Chic? LMAO puhleease

tk13
11-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Yeah, that was a bummer. Phil said they're planning 20 US dates... but they won't be until after the European tour, so they haven't announced them yet. That's pretty far off. We're probably talking around September next year. Daryl Stuermer supposedly said in a different radio interview they're probably going to tour Europe, take a month off, then hit US/Canada, among other things. I'm confident they'll be here. They probably aren't going to be playing giant 70,000 capacity soccer stadiums like over there, but I imagine they'll hit some arenas.

siberian khatru
11-07-2006, 02:49 PM
They probably aren't going to be playing giant 70,000 capacity soccer stadiums like over there, but I imagine they'll hit some arenas.

Last time I saw them, it was at a packed Hoosier Dome.

I wonder what their draw is here anymore. They cancelled the Calling All Stations U.S. tour because it wasn't selling nearly as well as the European gigs. Phil's back now, but I wonder how many casual fans today really care?

This is my selfish side talking, but I wish they'd "reward" the die-hard fans with some more old-school stuff -- not just Gabriel-era, but "Trick," "Wind" and "Three" stuff. Or if they do "Duke," don't just do "Misunderstanding," but do "Behind the Lines" or "Duke's End/Duke's Travels." I'd rather see a 1978 or 1980 kind of show than a 1986 or 1992 show.

siberian khatru
11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Just to continue that thought:

Yes the last few tours "rewarded" their base by dusting off some chestnuts they rarely played -- and in at least one case, hadn't played live since 1972. I loved that. They know what their support is, and it's not the "Owner of a Lonely Heart" crowd.

kc rush
11-07-2006, 02:53 PM

Sorry, I had to do that.

Yeah, but they will be touring next Spring/Summer and I canít wait. No 300,000 dates but always a great live show with enthusiastic fans.

Glad your Genesis fans have something to look forward to. Too bad Gabriel and Hackett aren't with them, that would be quite the show.

siberian khatru
11-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Glad your Genesis fans have something to look forward to. Too bad Gabriel and Hackett aren't with them, that would be quite the show.

I could see them doing a one-off somewhere. I thought I read Gabriel saying he just couldn't devote the time to a tour, and wished them luck. Hackett stays very busy with recording and touring.

I'd kill -- KILL -- to see such a one-off in the U.S. I'd seriously think about flying to New York or Chicago or L.A. or wherever they'd have it.

tk13
11-07-2006, 03:12 PM
I think they'll play some older stuff. They apparently got Daryl to admit on the radio that he's looking forward to playing Carpet Crawlers with the band. And apparently Los Endos is being planned as well as some other things. Nothing's set in stone yet. I don't think it'll be quite like the last tours where you got album tracks like Dreaming While You Sleep.

I'm pretty happy, but I just want balance, I don't really defer to one side of the band like a lot of people. The way they've been talking I think I'll be happy with the setlist... but I personally want to hear things like Los Endos, Abacab, Home By the Sea. That's the problem with Genesis, you ask 10 different fans what they want and you get 10 different answers.

siberian khatru
11-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I think they'll play some older stuff. They apparently got Daryl to admit on the radio that he's looking forward to playing Carpet Crawlers with the band. And apparently Los Endos is being planned as well as some other things. Nothing's set in stone yet. I don't think it'll be quite like the last tours where you got album tracks like Dreaming While You Sleep.

I'm pretty happy, but I just want balance, I don't really defer to one side of the band like a lot of people. The way they've been talking I think I'll be happy with the setlist... but I personally want to hear things like Los Endos, Abacab, Home By the Sea. That's the problem with Genesis, you ask 10 different fans what they want and you get 10 different answers.

They've played Los Endos a lot in the 80s and 90s. I love it, but it's nothing new or special. Same with Abacab and Home by the Sea -- like 'em a lot, but nothing new.

I want to see something I haven't been able to see in a long time. And I don't mean snippets in a 10-minute medley, like they did in '92. Carpet Crawlers works for me. That's what I'm talking about.

tk13
11-07-2006, 03:20 PM
I could see them doing a one-off somewhere. I thought I read Gabriel saying he just couldn't devote the time to a tour, and wished them luck. Hackett stays very busy with recording and touring.

I'd kill -- KILL -- to see such a one-off in the U.S. I'd seriously think about flying to New York or Chicago or L.A. or wherever they'd have it.
Yeah, I think Tony Banks even said at the press conference today, he thought Peter was going to join, and they were going to tour the Lamb again. But it just kinda fell through, Peter wanted to work on his own stuff, which will probably take another 10 years to release. So the guys said what the hey and decided to tour by themselves. Some fans seem to be upset at the three guys but whatever. If Peter doesn't want to he doesn't want to, that's just kinda how he is anyway... that's life, no hard feelings from me.

tk13
11-07-2006, 03:24 PM
They've played Los Endos a lot in the 80s and 90s. I love it, but it's nothing new or special. Same with Abacab and Home by the Sea -- like 'em a lot, but nothing new.

I want to see something I haven't been able to see in a long time. And I don't mean snippets in a 10-minute medley, like they did in '92. Carpet Crawlers works for me. That's what I'm talking about.
Yeah I understand, but I haven't seen it live. So that's purely selfish on my part. :) I was like 11 years old last time they toured, haha. I really want see Los Endos with the lights and everything. Like I said, everybody's got a different viewpoint and they're all valid, they did so many different things.

siberian khatru
11-07-2006, 04:57 PM
I was like 11 years old last time they toured, haha.

OMG, are you really that young? Have you never seen them live? That would certainly change your perspective.