PDA

View Full Version : How many of you think Carl's friendship with Vermeil affected his judgement on this?

gh4chiefs
01-11-2001, 06:20 AM
I for one do. I'm not sure Vermeil is worth it. I guess if he takes us all the way, he'll be worth it, but just because he's done it before doesn't mean he'll do it again.

BUT as some of you are posting on another thread, if it's this deal, or Gun and the Stooges, then I don't feel so bad. However, I just think we could have found a good HC that wouldn't have cost us the draft picks. That's why I think Peterson's judgement is flawed.

[Edited by gh4chiefs on 01-11-2001 at 09:05 AM]

Rick Stephens
01-11-2001, 07:50 AM
If Vermeil does a good job and can take us to the next I think we got off cheap. Also, with Al Saunders coming to run the offense and then taking over as head coach in a couple of years it is even a bigger bargain.

ansonsdad
01-11-2001, 08:52 AM
gh-You say if DV takes us all the way he is worth it.It seems that is what he'll have to do to justify his hiring to some folks.But let me ask this,What 2nd round draft pick is going to take us all the way? None.What 2nd round pick is going to improve this team more than a complete makeover in the coaching staff? None.Come on Chiefs fans,this could be a Great day for the Chiefs.

HC_Chief
01-11-2001, 08:57 AM
I agree. Vermeil is a good coach - he has turned two <i>horrible</i> franchises around (Philly in the 80s, St Louis in the 90s).

Carl respects DV tremendously - his word will be law - we will actually have a HC that is 'allowed' to make all of his own coaching decisions.

ROYC75
01-11-2001, 09:08 AM
CP feelings for DV push Gun and the stooges out the door! No DV.....we have GUN! I hope DV works out,have my reservations on this one...only time will tell!

Now StL says it will not let Kc have permission to talk to Saunders! Bad blood is in the air!

gh4chiefs
01-11-2001, 09:39 AM
First of all let me say, I have nothing against Vermeil. I'm happy that he's going to be our head coach next year. I expect good things from.

BUT I still think the way this whole thing was handled was one big cluster fuck. It's as if it was DV or Gun and there were no other possibilities. Ok, I don't follow other teams that much and I watch zero college ball. So I can't name another HC possibility. But just because I can't do it, doesn't mean there aren't some other good HC candidates out there. Ones that wouldn't have cost us squat in the way of draft picks or bad blood with other NFL teams.

As for a 2nd round draft pick having an impact on the team? Well odds are, probably they would not have the impact Vermeil will have, but one never knows. Wasn't Terrel Davis a 6th round pick? So it is possible to pick up a draft choice in a later round that can have a huge impact on the team. Vermeil is 64, how long will he be around?

flowergirl
01-11-2001, 09:45 AM
Bottom line is Gunther is gone....thank god.

58Forever
01-11-2001, 10:06 AM
Tracy, where've you been?...doing okay?...good to hear from you again...

of course friendship played a big part...Vermeil doesn't coach for anyone if not for Carl's friendship...can you see
Vermeil sharing duties with Carl?

Like Tracy said...regardless, we are finally rid of th Stooges...yea!!!!!....:D

Alton deFlat
01-11-2001, 10:31 AM
Bottom line is, Vermeil has been around coaching long enough to know that you have to surround yourself with good assistants. I kinda compare Gunther's head coaching reign with Jimmy Carter's stint as President. I think both of them were good ole boys that knew their stuff, they just surrounded themselves with idiots.

flowergirl
01-11-2001, 01:05 PM
58 Forever.....I've been horribly busy!!!Trying to adjust to being back in the work force now that my youngest is in school...it has not been easy!!My stepdaughter moved in with us for her senior year so I now have my life run by 3 teenagers and a 7 year old who knows everything!!Have missed you all tho and have been enjoying my twin son's football season and wrestling season...seems like I"m never home.I'll be back on more in the summer as when the kids are out of school I will take off work to be home with them in the summer....great job allows me to do that.Take care 58.

Joe Seahawk
01-11-2001, 01:10 PM
I think your coaching staff is 1,000 times better than it was last year..
One thing I dont understand though is, everyone keeps saying it was Vermeil or nobody(retain Gunther) Surely these weren't your only options were they?

flowergirl
01-11-2001, 01:42 PM
Joe that is a sickening thought isn't it...our only option is Gunther if we couldn't have gotten Vermeil....I couldn't believe that statement....our only option my a$$...someone needs to pull their head out:)