PDA

View Full Version : We've had a thread about Stull Cemetary, how about the Hornet Spook Light? Stories?

JimNasium
10-31-2006, 05:21 PM
I think Jenny and I are going to make the drive down to check it out on Friday. I went once in college but we didn't see a thing.

Discuss Thrower
10-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Lived here all my life... Never have seen the Hornet Spook Light, even though it's literally minutes away.

JimNasium
10-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Lived here all my life... Never have seen the Hornet Spook Light, even though it's literally minutes away.From what I've read it seems like some folks have seen it dozens of times while others haven't had much luck. Maybe we will get lucky.

KChiefs1
10-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Hornet Spook Light? Is it in Emporia?

JimNasium
10-31-2006, 05:27 PM
Hornet Spook Light? Is it in Emporia?
Nah, right on the Missouri/Oklahoma border just west of Joplin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooklight

CosmicPal
10-31-2006, 05:29 PM
This is the index for Springfield, MO

Springfield - Springlawn Farm - aka - Albino Farm Bridge - it's said that if you pull to the middle of the bridge at night, turn off your headlights and put it in neutral, your car will move on it's own to the end of the bridge. To see pictures of this site, check out http://www.geocities.com/imaphysicist/SpringfieldMyths.html

Springfield - Bass Country Inn (old Howard Johnson's) - Carl a former bus person, still haunts the grounds. He has been seen in the kitchen and in the halls. Things fall off the shelves. You see legs on the other side of the work table, but when you crouch down to see who it is and no one is there. Out of the corner of your eye you see someone go into the office, but the door is locked and no one is inside, you can be walking down the hall and see someone coming towards you and then they are not there. Also, a female haunts the site but nothing is known about her except that her spirit isn't as nice as Carl's.

Springfield - Bloody Hill - Cold spots and apparitions have been reported.

Springfield - Brooks Phelps Grove Park Bridge - Off of National on Bennett is Phelps Grove Park under the third bridge late at night you can see a woman in a wedding dress known as "Bride under the Bridge" that was killed on her wedding day. This is a bridge made out of concrete and medium to small sized rocks. At night, it was somewhat cloudy and when the moon would break through the clouds and hit the rocks, you can definitely see the shape of bride's head and veil in the rocks.

Springfield - Central High School - The first high school in Springfield was built in the late 1800s. Old room 311 is supposedly haunted by sounds and a door that locks itself, but renovations of the school have renumbered the rooms and straightened out the hallway. Many places in the basement have been said to be haunted as well as the fourth floor attic. Again, renovations have made these places harder to find. There are also tunnels under the school that are said to have a presence occupying them.

Springfield - Drury University - Clara Thompson Hall - The origin is not known of this ghost, but many people have seen pianos playing by themselves and doors closing.

Springfield - Drury University - Soccer Field - The soccer field off of Bennett street was built over sacred Native American ground. There have been reports of a presence there.

Springfield - Drury University - Smith Hall - Before Smith Hall was built, there used to be lots of old Victorian houses. One house had a little girl in it. That house caught on fire one day, but the girl stayed in the house so she could retrieve her teddy bear. Some days the girls that live in Smith Hall find their locked doors opened, all their drawers opened, and a teddy bear sitting in the center of their room because the little girl is looking for hers. She has been seen roaming the halls and photos of her have been taken.

Springfield - Drury University - Wilhoit Theatre - Light flickered at night. Some said it was the ghost of "Bob". Strangely the theatre was dedicated to Bob Wilhoit

Springfield - Old "houn dawg" rendering plant - A former employee of the plant who was killed in a workplace accident is known to turn lights on and off, and is a nuisance to the businesses that occupy the building now by tossing paper and rubbish around.

Springfield - Landers Theatre - Little Theatre - Along with the spirit of the stage manager who comitted suicide and the baby, there are, in addition, some 100 other ghosts haunting the theatre. For example, there are the spirits of two secretaries in the box office that like to throw things. There is even the spirit of a little dog that is rarely seen. Lander's Theatre is by far the most haunted spot in Springfield.

Springfield - Little Theater - A janitor is believed to have died in this theater during a fire in the early twentieth century. His ghost has been seen in the upper balcony by lone actors on the stage. There is also a story about a baby that was accidentally dropped from the upper balcony one evening. It is said to repeat its fall for actors while they are practicing.

Springfield - Phelps Grove Park Bridge - Off of National on Bennett is Phelps Grove Park under the third bridge late at night you can see a woman in a wedding dress known as "Bride under the Bridge" that was killed on her wedding day

Springfield - Reed Middle School - On the 4th floor balcony, if you are very quiet and still you can hear footsteps. And even low murmurs sometimes.

Springfield - State Offices Buildings - In the main building, at night, a presence can be felt following you. Also, there is an elevator shaft no longer in use where one can feel cold spots and a presence watching them. Presence can be felt in the basement and also on the roof. The building was once a bank and there is an old vault in the basement and a blocked off tunnel that runs between buildings under the entire square. Hangings were once done in the square. Also, at night in the Department of Family Services building, a presence can be felt throughout the building, particularly in the basement where strange noises can be heard.

Springfield - Winoka Lodge - May 2005 correction: Formerly stated as a Girl Scout Camp. it is Belived to be haunted due to the sounds heard and such but it's not by girl scouts. Now due to trespassing the property is watched by the police. It was the site of an old hunting Club located just outside of Springfield Mo next to the old hwy 65 bridge.

Springfield - Wilson's Creek - People have seen ghosts and heard strange noises like guns and cannons. Apparitions of Confederate soldiers are seen more often.

Springfield - Wilson's Creek Battle field - Site of the civil war battle in south west Missouri. At nighttime you can hear solders walking and talking in the woods at the site.

Springfield - University Plaza Hotel - "The Colonel" has been seen by almost all the hotel staff that works in the Convention Center. He is seen late at night between midnight and 4am. Staff will see him in the ballroom and in the back hallways. He is an older man dressed all in black. The most infamous sighting was by a new employee that asked another employee who the man dressed all in black was that he just saw walking down the hall. The Colonel is thought to have been a well-decorated civil war hero and the owner of a large plantation that once stood on the ground where the University Plaza Hotel now stands. These sightings have not been made public because of the hotel not wanting it to hurt business

CosmicPal
10-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Nah, right on the Missouri/Oklahoma border just west of Joplin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooklight

Well, in that case, this is the index for Joplin, Missouri

Joplin - Joplin High School - The Gym - a janitor that had died on the floor and now when you walk across the floor you can hear this sound in the distance that says don't walk on me.

Joplin - Joplin High School - The Band Room - Its is said that one night someone heard drums playing and when they walked into the band room there was no one there. People have also claimed to see strange glowing lights, and there's even one report about a janitor who saw a young boy in the band room....but then disappeared.

Joplin - Main St. (private residence) - an ex-tenant reports faucets turning on by themselves in the bathroom when she was alone in the house, only to turn back on when she would shut them off. Hearing her record player playing.

Joplin - Old Freeman Hospital Bldg. - Feelings of dread, and not being alone and watched. None of the maintenance crew wanted to go to that floor by themselves.

Joplin - Peace Church cemetary - The body of a murderer named Billy Cooke was buried in the back of the cemetary on the south end. The grave site is tended to and cared for by someone. However no one has ever been seen there caring for it. The majority of the cemetary is unkempt. Also Eyes and a mysterious figure has been seen in the area of his grave.

Easy 6
10-31-2006, 05:38 PM
I'd MUCH rather discuss rep & politics :harumph: .......seriously though, the thing about any kind of well documented paranormal phenomenon is that even if 90% are lying or just plain misidentifying explainable stuff what about the 10% that arent lying or who's testimony cant be explained away??? I truly believe that truth is ALWAYS stranger than fiction, and would never call someone an idiot or kook just because i havent witnessed something personally.

I could care LESS if i sound like some goofy mystic, we are magical creatures wandering around on a rock that floats in the middle of ENDLESS nothing, i think once a person starts from that fact anything is possible.

JimNasium
10-31-2006, 05:40 PM
I'd MUCH rather discuss rep & politics :harumph: .......seriously though, the thing about any kind of well documented paranormal phenomenon is that even if 90% are lying or just plain misidentifying explainable stuff what about the 10% that arent lying or who's testimony cant be explained away??? I truly believe that truth is ALWAYS stranger than fiction, and would never call someone an idiot or kook just because i havent witnessed something personally.

I could care LESS if i sound like some goofy mystic, we are magical creatures wandering around on a rock that floats in the middle of ENDLESS nothing, i think once a person starts from that fact anything is possible.I guess I difer with you about something like the Spooklight being paranormal in nature. I'm of the opinion that there is a logical/natural explanation for these events. It's the human element that ends up making us believe that they are supernatural.

boogblaster
10-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Been told by lots of old timers that the Spook-lights are there..Ive never seen them myself..but did live in a old farm house that had something walking around upstairs at nite....

Discuss Thrower
10-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Concord Cemetary

* History: Back in 1860's there was Preacher whom lived with his wife and a slave family consisting of a pregant women, man, and a young boy. The preacher is said to have worship a witch and once he married his wife she conivenced him to become a christian and build a church. The preacher was also the care taker of the cemetary located next to the church. However, the preacher still continued to worship the witch. One night the Preacher's slave family tried to escape. So that evening the Preacher chase his slaves into woods and killed the woman with a sludge hammer and hung man. Once he found the boy he choked him to death. The next day the Preacher's wife found out that he was still worshiping the witch and she left him. So the preacher went to the body of the pregant slave women and cut out the unborn baby. He then placed the fetus on the witches grave to awake her. Once she was awke he sold his sole to the devil in return for his wifes return. However, the witch was unhappy that she had been awaken and killed the preacher in revenge.
* It has been said ...that there are 4 spirits often seen in and around the cemetary ... one of the young boy calling for his mother, the man riding a horse painted in blood, a women, and the preacher throwing rocks with a hayfork. It is also said that if you go around touch every stone and kiss the witches grave.. you can see the church and even enter it. Inside you will 2 jars full of eyes, 1 jar with a head in it and a bloody sludge hammer. If you go up to the top floor and if you can make it past th preacher and the grave keeper you can see dead bodies of people hanging by hooks from the ceiling ripped bibles. If you look out the top of the church steeple you can see a giant burning cross form a kkk ritual that dates back to 186.7 If you iritate the witch enough you will awaken a fully physical poultergeist and nanny nun will tell you to leave. People have been found dead there and there is no known record of any one spending the night in the church and surviving and it.

I wanna go see that and....

# Mt. Hope Cemetery

* Location: on Rangeline Road between Joplin & Webb City across from Big Lots, Webb City, MO. (As you drive into the cemetery there is a road that turns north towards the bulk of the cemetery. After a drive of approximately 300 feet there is a large statue of an Angel)
* It has been said ... that at nights, especially when it is overcast or little moonlight, you can hear the sound of weeping, it is the sound of an adult female, as you face the Angel statue ask the Angel "What is wrong?" and the Angel will say "Nothing." Some have seen an old man in an old overcoat that is there one minute and gone the next in the center of the cemetery.

Easy 6
10-31-2006, 05:55 PM
I guess I difer with you about something like the Spooklight being paranormal in nature. I'm of the opinion that there is a logical/natural explanation for these events. It's the human element that ends up making us believe that they are supernatural.
I really do agree that atleast 9/10 strange occurences can be explained through geological conditions, atmospheric disturbances etc. But some of it IMO just cant be. A few good examples are the numerous reports by US and Russian astronauts of UFO's, Church sanctified excorcism's in which the possessed levitates off the bed, levitates the whole bed or speak fluently in languages they've never studied, actually there are 2 specials on that subject on tonight, 1 on the History channel. When i see men of the cloth describe this kind of stuff i tend to believe them.

Some things just dont have a physiological explanation. But i dont want to preach at you or try to convince you by sheer argumentative force. So many people swear up n down that they didnt believe in (fill in blank) until they personally witnessed it. Anyhow i hope you & Jenny see something cool & good luck.

JimNasium
10-31-2006, 05:57 PM
I really do agree that atleast 9/10 strange occurences can be explained through geological conditions, atmospheric disturbances etc. But some of it IMO just cant be. A few good examples are the numerous reports by US and Russian astronauts of UFO's, Church sanctified excorcism's in which the possessed levitates off the bed, levitates the whole bed or speak fluently in languages they've never studied, actually there are 2 specials on that subject on tonight, 1 on the History channel. When i see men of the cloth describe this kind of stuff i tend to believe them.

Some things just dont have a physiological explanation. But i dont want to preach at you or try to convince you by sheer argumentative force. So many people swear up n down that they didnt believe in (fill in blank) until they personally witnessed it. Anyhow i hope you & Jenny see something cool & good luck.
I hope we see something that freaks me out too. I'd love to be left wondering about something. I'd rather be a believer than a skeptic.

Skip Towne
10-31-2006, 05:58 PM
After that are you taking Jenny to the submarine races? I didn't think she still fell for that stuff.

JimNasium
10-31-2006, 05:59 PM
After that are you taking Jenny to the submarine races? I didn't think she still fell for that stuff.
Nah, I'm taking her on a pony ride.

Count Zarth
10-31-2006, 05:59 PM
That sounds about as un-scary as you can get.

JimNasium
10-31-2006, 06:26 PM
That sounds about as un-scary as you can get.
It seems that the orb has entered people's cars and has chased people back to their cars so I think it can get kind of scary.
http://www.missourighosts.net/hornet.html
http://www.prairieghosts.com/devprom.html

Count Zarth
10-31-2006, 06:36 PM
Sorry. That sounds like a six-foot turkey.

Simply Red
10-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Yep my father knew some people who claim to have seen it. My father was born and raised in Carthage outside of Joplin. Those people claim to have seen it on there way to Grand Lake.

HemiEd
10-31-2006, 06:42 PM
I was in a Bar in Joplin once, did not see 'em.

Easy 6
10-31-2006, 06:45 PM
For anyone who didnt see Dartgod mention it in the Stull thread, there is a Sci-Fi special on the Stanley hotel in Colorado. I really recommend it, the last time they were there the craziest chit i've ever seen on a ghost show happened. All sorts of "upstanding" folk have reported stuff going on there going back decades. 10 o'clock here, check your listings. :reaper:

"Bob" Dobbs
10-31-2006, 06:54 PM
I tend to lean to the skeptical side, but one time I DID see the spooklight, it DID dance around quite a bit, and it still gives me chills to think about it.

Pitt Gorilla
10-31-2006, 07:06 PM
I went to see the light once with three other guys and we saw it. We waited for around an hour and there were a bunch of cars there that night. It was pretty crazy. It appeared to move to about a half mile in front of us and then moved toward us. We jumped in the car and got out of town.

Actually, when we left, it appeared to be on the car in front of us. Crazy.

tommykat
10-31-2006, 07:06 PM
I think Jenny and I are going to make the drive down to check it out on Friday. I went once in college but we didn't see a thing.

Have fun~

I went with my ex and 2 other people what? maybe 27 years ago...We did see the light and honest no way close to the highway nothing around....Truely was odd and spooked the chit out of us all!

Pitt Gorilla
10-31-2006, 07:07 PM
I guess I difer with you about something like the Spooklight being paranormal in nature. I'm of the opinion that there is a logical/natural explanation for these events. It's the human element that ends up making us believe that they are supernatural.Honestly, it looked somewhat like concentrated aurora borealis that moved in a large ball.

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-31-2006, 07:18 PM
For anyone who didnt see Dartgod mention it in the Stull thread, there is a Sci-Fi special on the Stanley hotel in Colorado. I really recommend it, the last time they were there the craziest chit i've ever seen on a ghost show happened. All sorts of "upstanding" folk have reported stuff going on there going back decades. 10 o'clock here, check your listings. :reaper:
I saw that place when I was in Estes Park last year. I heard it was the inspiration for Stephen King to write "The Shining".
http://hometown.aol.com/wahl1024/images/col%205.jpg

Anyway, about the Spook Light, I have friends in SW Mo that have seen it. Never have looked for it myself, although I'd like to check it out someday.

Simply Red
10-31-2006, 07:22 PM
It was always my understanding that it wasn't an apparation but rather an atmosphere reflection of some kind. Perhaps, Northern Lights-esque.

Yellowbutter72
10-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Maybe you didn't see them because you were in the bar! LOL

Chiefs_Fan_n_64081
10-31-2006, 07:59 PM
The wife and I went to see it earlier this year.
We pulled onto the road and drove the suggested distance in, then prepared to wait a good while for it to show. Within 5 minutes it appeared and put on quite a display.
At first, it seemed to be a small point of light. It then grew to be a very bright ball that split into two parts, then after a few minutes into three separate parts.
Almost as if it were doing an impression of a planetary system, it appeared as if the two parts that splintered from the main ball were doing a lazy orbit about the center.
I am a scientifically minded person and can usually find a rational explaination for supposed supernatural events, but I have to admit I was scratching my head after taking this in.
Within the few minutes we were waiting for it to appear, I felt a slight case of vertigo, and a sensation of moving (even though the car was off and in park) that I assumed was just happening to me. After having called it a night, we were on our way back to the hotel when I asked my wife if she had felt anything just before the light showed. To my surprise she said she felt slightly dizzy and as if the car was moving. She then asked me if I had put the car in neutral and was leting it roll slowly.

Easy 6
10-31-2006, 08:04 PM
I saw that place when I was in Estes Park last year. I heard it was the inspiration for Stephen King to write "The Shining".
http://hometown.aol.com/wahl1024/images/col%205.jpg

Anyway, about the Spook Light, I have friends in SW Mo that have seen it. Never have looked for it myself, although I'd like to check it out someday.
Yep, thats where King got the idea & why Kubrick shot it there.

Valiant
10-31-2006, 08:52 PM
I guess I difer with you about something like the Spooklight being paranormal in nature. I'm of the opinion that there is a logical/natural explanation for these events. It's the human element that ends up making us believe that they are supernatural.

I will have to find it but they figured out what the light was on some investigation...

Supposably...

Pitt Gorilla
10-31-2006, 09:00 PM
I will have to find it but they figured out what the light was on some investigation...

Supposably...From what I can tell, people still aren't quite sure. Heck, even the Army Corp of Engineers has studied it and not concluded anything.

jynni
10-31-2006, 09:37 PM

Supposably...
From what I read, it seemed like they concluded that it had something to do with atmospheric gas reflecting off cars on a nearby highway/road or something. The problem with that is there there are recorded sightings of the light going back into the mid 1800's.

I've seen it before. I was dating a guy who went to school down in Joplin. We drove out to the road and when we got there, several cars were already parked. The spook light was already visible - a small orb at the top of the hill. It looked like the glow of a lantern - swayed back and forth like someone was carrying it. It moved closer and closer and just when it looked like it was about to come down the hill, it would all of a sudden be back at the top of the hill.

After about thirty minutes, we got bored and decided to drive up the hill to get a closer look. The other people watching told us "it likes brake lights". Once we turned around at the top of the hill, we flashed the brake lights. The light appeared about thirty feet behind the car. We repeated - the light appeared a little closer. After the third flash, the light appeared on the bumper of the car. At this point we freaked out and drove off.

Count Zarth
10-31-2006, 09:40 PM
How far is this spook light from Springfield? Next time I am in town I want to check it out.

dj56dt58
10-31-2006, 09:58 PM
How far is this spook light from Springfield? Next time I am in town I want to check it out.
77.25 miles

The Dude Abides
10-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Went with my friend, his wife and her friend a few years ago. Got really drunk on that dirt road, never did see the lights but had doggystyle on the trunk with the wifes friend.

JimNasium
11-01-2006, 07:54 AM
This is a pretty cool link. I hope we get to see it.

http://www.ghostresearch.org/Investigations/Joplin.html