PDA

View Full Version : Harold Reynolds Sues ESPN

Bill Parcells
10-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Reynolds sues ESPN
By DAVE COLLINS, Associated Press Writer
October 31, 2006

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Former ESPN baseball analyst Harold Reynolds sued the network for at least $5 million Tuesday, saying he was wrongly fired after a female intern complained about what he called a "brief and innocuous" hug.

Reynolds joined the sports network in 1996 after a dozen seasons as a major leaguer and was fired July 24. According to his lawsuit, filed in New Britain Superior Court, ESPN terminated his new six-year, $6 million contract without specific reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
"I have tried everything possible to handle this situation quietly behind the scenes," Reynolds said in a statement released Tuesday. "After numerous conversations and multiple mediation discussions with ESPN executives it is clear that ESPN had no intention of solving this problem amicably."

Reynolds is seeking the money owed to him under the remainder of his contract, including interest and lost earnings. He is also asking the court for damages for lost future opportunities.

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said Tuesday that Reynolds' allegations are without merit and the network stands by its decision to terminate his contract.

"We have no further comment now that litigation has begun," Krulewitz said.

According to the lawsuit, ESPN terminated Reynolds' contract "for cause," but gave no further explanation or specific reasons. It also alleges that ESPN has refused to give Reynolds or state labor officials a copy of his personnel file.

His contract, according to the lawsuit, said he could only be fired for "failure to perform," which required "intentional or continual activities" contrary to ESPN's instructions, or else required "willful or egregious action ... which would constitute an act of moral turpitude."

"Mr. Reynolds has never, in his career as a baseball player or with ESPN, intentionally engaged in a 'failure to perform' his duties in any material respect," the lawsuit said. "For example, he was punctual, well-prepared, professional, creative and personable, both in the studio and on remote assignments."

Joseph Garrison, a New Haven-based lawyer for Reynolds, said, "Moral turpitude, in my opinion, is not reflected by an innocuous hug. I think the case is very strong."

The lawsuit said Reynolds hugged a female intern in July and the two had dinner later the same night. Reynolds has not seen the intern since, and she made no complaints about his actions until three weeks later, the lawsuit said.

"For 11 years I served ESPN with enthusiasm and dedication," Reynolds said. "It is unfortunate that ESPN has handled this process in an unprofessional manner. At the end of the day my integrity, reputation and family are my top priorities, and for those reasons I need to set the record straight and clear my name."

Reynolds played for the Seattle Mariners, Baltimore Orioles and the California Angels before joining ESPN. He won three Gold Glove awards and one stolen base title and was a two-time All-Star.

Molitoth
10-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Harold Reynolds was one of the smartest analysts on espn... stupid bitch ass intern. Over a damn hug.

chief52
10-31-2006, 09:11 PM
I hope he wins.

Simply Red
10-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Harold Reynolds was one of the smartest analysts on espn... stupid bitch ass intern. Over a damn hug.

Yeah. What he said....

CoMoChief
10-31-2006, 09:15 PM
I dislike most ESPN personalities. However he was one of the very very few that I liked.

Deberg_1990
10-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Reynolds gets fired but they allow Michael Irvin to continue to spew his nonsense every week???

ESPN should be ashamed...

Bill Parcells
10-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Reynolds gets fired but they allow Michael Irvin to continue to spew his nonsense every week???

:clap: :clap:

chubychecker
10-31-2006, 09:19 PM

Agreed, listening to him and Stephen A. Smith makes me want to cancel my cable.

carlos3652
10-31-2006, 09:36 PM
I hope HR wins this one... I really liked him...

stevieray
10-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Estrogen Sports Network

Miles
10-31-2006, 10:12 PM

I guess a hug is more serious than getting caught with a crack pipe in your car.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-31-2006, 10:36 PM
I guess a hug is more serious than getting caught with a crack pipe in your car.

Jeez, everyone knows it was a friend's.... DA' U

boogblaster
10-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Reynolds was one of the few that actucally knew what was going on in baseball..the rest just kiss ass and blow everything up three times its worth.....

Thig Lyfe
10-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Reynolds was one of the few good ones... come on now.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-31-2006, 11:19 PM
Reynolds was one of the few that actucally knew what was going on in baseball..the rest just kiss ass and blow everything up three times its worth.....

Like that piece of shit Jeff Brantly :shrug:

skye22f
11-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Looks like the gossip that came out right after his firing seems to say that this was an ongoing thing...

Thirdhand info, but I'm told it's sexual harassment. There were allegations of inappropriate actions between him and female PAs on a couple different occasions, so I'm not entirely shocked.

It's apparently sexual harassment, but no one knows who the victim was. It went down over the course of the weekend.

I have on good authority that HR was fired for all things, hitting on girls. Allegedly, this has been going on for a while. The last straw was when a new PA was having none of what Harold had to offer and turned him in.

Harold Reynolds was fired more or less for copious amounts of sexual harassment. Apparently, he brazenly hits on female employees constantly, despite the fact that his wife just had a kid six months ago. He was warned by the big-wigs on numerous occasions to cool it with the ladies, but someone finally lodged a complaint, and he was canned immediately.

It's very difficult to get fired from ESPN. It takes multiple offenses ... they're usually so worried about getting sued for unlawful termination that people are suspended multiple times for the same repeated behavior before it finally comes to getting fired. Within the walls of the campus, there are only a few on-air talent guys that had an honest reputation as being overly friendly with the ladies, and HR was one of them.

Guru
11-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Ain't that America!

Short Leash Hootie
11-01-2006, 04:18 AM
Ain't that America!
hahahahhaah

StcChief
11-01-2006, 08:25 AM
And women wonder why they get dissed in the work place.