PDA

View Full Version : Is ''Monkey'' a Racial Slur??

10-31-2006, 09:25 PM
" ORLANDO (AP) -- The fan who allegedly directed a racial slur at Houston Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo was banned for the season Monday by the NBA and Orlando Magic.

Season-ticket holder Hooman Hamzehloui allegedly called Mutombo a "monkey" Thursday at a preseason game between the Rockets and the Magic. Mutombo -- a native of Zaire, which is now called the Democratic Republic of Congo -- yelled back at Hamzehloui and gestured from the court.

Hamzehloui was ejected from the game. The league said Hamzehloui is also barred from attending games at any NBA arena this season. Orlando said it will refund his season-ticket payment."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/specials/preview/2006/10/30/mutombo.ap/index.html

Deberg_1990
10-31-2006, 09:27 PM
Yes

Miles
10-31-2006, 09:29 PM
A tough lesson learned by Howard Cosell is it depends on the context. In the way it was directed towards Mutumbo there is no question.

RealSNR
You can make a racial slur out of just about anything these days.

For instance, "My neighborhood has a squirrel problem" of course translates to "There are too many black people in my neighborhood"

ChiefaRoo
macaca

Brock
10-31-2006, 09:30 PM
Does Mutombo look like a monkey?

Does Mutombo look like a monkey?
ROFL

ChiefaRoo
macoocoo

ChiefaRoo
10-31-2006, 09:31 PM
mocha

mikey23545
10-31-2006, 09:32 PM
It's only a racial slur to chimpanzees or humans who are such unbelievable pussies that they let words that come out of some dumb ass's mouth bother them.

Ultra Peanut
10-31-2006, 09:34 PM
Context is key.

Is "coon" a racial slur?

Skip Towne
10-31-2006, 09:43 PM
While in Korea, in 1968, one of my buddies called our houseboy a monkey. (Wonswingee) The houseboy "lost so much face" he didn't come to work for the next two days. It depends on the culture and the situation. Black people call each other the "N" word all the time. But whitey better damn well not do it.

B2chiefsfan
10-31-2006, 09:45 PM
You know "Crackers" can't make comments like that!!!!:cuss:

Adept Havelock
10-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Depends. In this case, I'd say yes.

CoMoChief
10-31-2006, 09:50 PM
up down left right up down left right a,b,b,a, start

Ultra Peanut
10-31-2006, 09:52 PM
You know "Crackers" can't make comments like that!!!!:cuss:Poor, downtrodden white people. Someone should really speak up for them and lend a helping hand.

Miles
10-31-2006, 09:53 PM
up down left right up down left right a,b,b,a, start

Good luck geting any extra lives with that code.

Brock
10-31-2006, 09:55 PM
Poor, downtrodden white people. Someone should really speak up for them and lend a helping hand.

Yeah, Mutombo might have had to roll around in 100 dollar bills for an extra half hour to get his head straightened back out after this traumatic experience.

CoMoChief
10-31-2006, 09:55 PM
Good luck geting any extra lives with that code.

Ah Shit!!!!

Ultra Peanut
10-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah, Mutombo might have had to roll around in 100 dollar bills for an extra half hour to get his head straightened back out after this traumatic experience.ima be all like, 'no moira kelly your ass has to learn compromise or we'll never win romantic gold'

Brock
10-31-2006, 10:17 PM
ima be all like, 'no moira kelly your ass has to learn compromise or we'll never win romantic gold'

Okay, Weezy.

Bob Dole
10-31-2006, 10:21 PM
You know "Crackers" can't make comments like that!!!!:cuss:

Odd thing in this instance was that the person making the comments was not a Cracker.

ChiefaRoo
10-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Odd thing in this instance was that the person making the comments was not a Cracker.

Isn't it spelled cracka?

Simplex3
10-31-2006, 10:26 PM
All I want to know is if Hooman Hamzehloui apologized or not.

Brock
10-31-2006, 10:29 PM

Why yes. Yes, he did.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=sports&id=4709748

Brock
10-31-2006, 10:30 PM
http://www.mastersrealtyorlando.com/team_hh.cfm

Goddam realtors. You know how "they" are.

Skip Towne
10-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Poor, downtrodden white people. Someone should really speak up for them and lend a helping hand.
That's right. We need a National Organization of Men. And a National Association for the Advancement of White People. WASPS are waaay underrepresented. Especially the men. We have no representation at all.

Simplex3
10-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Yes, the poor, poor, downtrodden non-Asain minorities who have preferential treatment legally enforced.

Simplex3
10-31-2006, 10:34 PM
http://www.mastersrealtyorlando.com/team_hh.cfm

Goddam realtors. You know how "they" are.
Hehe. I'll bet this isn't good for business.

Miles
10-31-2006, 10:35 PM

Yep. Seems like they made a bit of an example out of him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6117032

Miles
10-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Maybe he just wanted to sex Mutombo?

Simplex3
10-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Yep. Seems like they made a bit of an example out of him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6117032
Damnit people. See, here's how I handle this:

"What? Yeah, I called him a monkey. I was trying to get under his skin. Guess it worked. Say, when are you going to ban HIM from all NBA games for giving me the finger? Oh, you're not? Yeah, f**k you Stern. You're a bunch of frauds parading as street thugs."

Something like that.

boogblaster
10-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Was Mutombo eating a bannana..or just throwing feeces at the crowd.....

Simplex3
10-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Was Mutombo eating a bannana..or just throwing feeces at the crowd.....
You should stick to the word "s**t" until you can learn to spell "feces" correctly.

Bugeater
10-31-2006, 11:36 PM
You should stick to the word "s**t" until you can learn to spell "feces" correctly.
He should stick to shit anyway because shit isn't filtered.

11-01-2006, 07:20 AM
That's right. We need a National Organization of Men. WASPS are waaay underrepresented. Especially the men. We have no representation at all.
:clap: :clap:

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Skip, you damned n00b, there already is an NAAWP.

Dammit Skip :cuss:

MichaelH
11-01-2006, 07:28 AM
I don't think calling a human a monkey is a racial slur. It may be inappropriate calling someone an animal but how can it be a slur? I've heard of men refered to as "dogs", women as "kittens". My 2 year old sometimes acts like a monkey the way he climbs the furniture inside and trees outside. Should I be offended if someone calls him a monkey? The world needs to lighten up.

Bwana
11-01-2006, 07:30 AM
It depends. About the only time I use it is when talkng about meth freaks.

"Gee, that house down the road is full of useless shitbag meth monkeys."

chagrin
11-01-2006, 07:32 AM
I don't think calling a human a monkey is a racial slur. It may be inappropriate calling someone an animal but how can it be a slur? I've heard of men refered to as "dogs", women as "kittens". My 2 year old sometimes acts like a monkey the way he climbs the furniture inside and trees outside. Should I be offended if someone calls him a monkey? The world needs to lighten up.

Some dighead years ago said that blacks are like monkeys or something, therefore it is a sensitive word to use, when said towards a person of color

Lonewolf Ed
11-01-2006, 07:38 AM
Context is key.

Is "coon" a racial slur?

Well, it *can* be and it can also be grossly misunderstood. Such as when I was in Scouts and at summer camp. We had a guy in the troop named Gary Coon, and he was always sneaking off into the woods and pissing off the scoutmasters. One afternoon, the scoutmasters were rounding us up for some activity and soon discovered that Gary was missing. One called out his name, "Gary!" No response. Again, but louder. Then there was a thump heard from in the latrine. "Gary, come up here now!" No reply from the latrine. Now the scoutmaster was really hot. "COON!! Get out of that latrine!!" Out comes this black kid from another troop and yells at the scoutmaster, "Fugg you!"

We all fell about laughing except for the scoutmaster, who babbled incoherently, "No, not, um, it wasn't, uh, no!"

MichaelH
11-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Some dighead years ago said that blacks are like monkeys or something, therefore it is a sensitive word to use, when said towards a person of color

I know that and understand. Like I said, it may be inappropriate to refer to an individual as an animal if they looked or acted like that animal. But why is it a racial slur? If someone refered to Larry Johnson as a bull the way he plows through the pile, should people get upset?

chagrin
11-01-2006, 08:03 AM
I know that and understand. Like I said, it may be inappropriate to refer to an individual as an animal if they looked or acted like that animal. But why is it a racial slur? If someone refered to Larry Johnson as a bull the way he plows through the pile, should people get upset?

Dude, you got me, you got me.

StcChief
11-01-2006, 08:19 AM
I guess calling someone a cool Cat is a slur too?
or hey Dawg

This PC business has run it's course long ago.

Duck Dog
11-01-2006, 08:26 AM
I guess calling someone a cool Cat is a slur too?
or hey Dawg

This PC business has run it's course long ago.

Can't use the word 'boy' or say the color black.

Simplex3
11-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Can't use the word 'boy' or say the color black.
Yeah, I was dumbstruck when the NAACP was bitching about the term "black ice" because it's bad and bad things shouldn't be associated with the word black. Guess we're going to have to throw away all film and literature ever written.

Baby Lee
11-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Because there is an element of evolutionary linkage between monkeys and humans.
If you call a tall guy a giraffe, or a strong guy a bull, it's generally OK because you're not suggesting he is genetically somewhere between human and giraffe or bull.
But if you call someone a monkey, there is the suggestion that the person is some kind of 'missing link.' That, because he exhibits characteristics of a monkey, he's not quite as human, not quite as evolved.
It's the twin strains of;
coming out of the civil war era when blacks were considered subhuman, and
coming out of the era when the Evolution of Species was penned, when there was a suggestion that humans evolved from primates.

chagrin
11-01-2006, 09:24 AM
If you call a tall guy a giraffe, or a strong guy a bull, it's generally OK because you're not suggesting he is genetically somewhere between human and giraffe or bull.
But if you call someone a monkey, there is the suggestion that the person is some kind of 'missing link.' That, because he exhibits characteristics of a monkey, he's not quite as human, not quite as evolved.
coming out of the era when the Evolution of Species was penned, when there was a suggestion that humans evolved from primates.

Thank you, Mr. Science

MichaelH
11-01-2006, 10:33 AM

Again, I understand and agree. My point from the start was it's all petty and maybe people of all colors should move on into the 21st century and not be so freaking uptight.

Ultra Peanut
11-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Again, I understand and agree. My point from the start was it's all petty and maybe people of all colors should move on into the 21st century and not be so freaking uptight.Maybe people should stop being douchebags and insulting other people first.

chagrin
11-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Maybe should stop being douchebags and insulting other people first.

I assume that post was irony?

Baby Lee
11-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Again, I understand and agree. My point from the start was it's all petty and maybe people of all colors should move on into the 21st century and not be so freaking uptight.
You AGREE with the assessment, but consider the matter PETTY?
I can't quite wrap my mind around that.
You consider intoning that a black man's classification resides somewhere BETWEEN man and ape is petty?

Ultra Peanut
11-01-2006, 11:01 AM
I assume that post was irony?Wow, nice timing on that typo (I left out the first "people").

My point was that it's not Mutombo's fault somebody insulted him, and I fail to see what the big deal is that he might feel, gasp, insulted. I merely suggested that rather than attacking the victim, as it were, perhaps we should focus on the root problem (some people acting like total douchebags to other people).

You consider intoning that a black man's classification resides somewhere BETWEEN man and ape is petty?Oh, come on, BL! It's no big deal to imply that someone is subhuman! This is just another way of keeping the white man down!

MichaelH
11-01-2006, 11:11 AM
You consider intoning that a black man's classification resides somewhere BETWEEN man and ape is petty?

NO, I do not consider that petty. However, I think it's ridiculous that due to political correctness, the smallest statement can be twisted and turned into racially insensitive comments. I agree that people need to act less like douchbags and more civil to each other. I also think that mountains should not be made out of mole hills. Let it go and move on.

chagrin
11-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Yeah man, I was messin with ya, I got it - just playing along

cadmonkey
11-01-2006, 11:13 AM
I guess no worse then Spook. Imean a spook is only a ghost right?

go bo
11-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Some dighead years ago said that blacks are like monkeys or something, therefore it is a sensitive word to use, when said towards a person of colormonkey can be a racial slur (e.g. howard cosell), but it's a pretty mild one here in america...

however, in north africa and in france, the word is a racial slur first used against algerians and other arabs from former french colonies, then it became a generalized slur referfing to any dark skinned people...

now senator allen says he didn't know what the word meant: Reached Monday evening, Allen said that the word had no derogatory meaning for him and that he was sorry. "I would never want to demean him as an individual. I do apologize if he's offended by that. That was no way the point."
Asked what macaca means, Allen said: "I don't know what it means." He said the word sounds similar to "mohawk," a term that his campaign staff had nicknamed Sidarth because of his haircut. Sidarth said his hairstyle is a mullet -- tight on top, long in the back.
but allen's mother is from tunisia...Hardball[/i], Lizza noted: "[T]he interesting twist on all of this is his mom is French Tunisian, and this is a word that's used in North Africa." so, i'm not buying that allen didn't know what the word meant, or that he was coining a new word that referred to the guy's haircut (MOHAWK) + caca = shithead? (read the whole article linked to for the shithead explanation)...

macaca is a racial slur and allen screwed up by using it to refer to the only dark skinned person in sight...

Ebolapox
11-01-2006, 12:24 PM
porch monkey... I'm taking it back

Pitt Gorilla
11-01-2006, 12:34 PM
I also think that mountains should not be made out of mole hills. Let it go and move on.You should see some of the discussion over on the DC board (and, well, politics in general).

Braincase
11-01-2006, 12:36 PM

Bob Dole is such a cracker, the damn Keebler elves call him "Zesta".

alanm
11-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Has anyone asked Striped assed baboons how they feel about this?

Baby Lee
11-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Has anyone asked Striped assed baboons how they feel about this?
I tried to get a statement from the red-assed contingent, but Mr. Gannon could not be reached for comment.

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 01:30 PM

Random thoughts.

1. What if the person is a creationist and doesn't believe in evolution?

2. If a person is an evolutionist, I wonder if it's more of an insult to call them a single-celled organism. Or a fish with leglike fins.

3. On the topic of apes and monkeys, I'm a big fan of the coloration of mandrills, but I'm not sure if they're really monkeys. They look baboon-like. Are baboons monkeys?

http://zing.ncsl.nist.gov/~gseidman/vrml/mandrill.jpg

Simplex3
11-01-2006, 01:34 PM
2. If a person is an evolutionist, I wonder if it's more of an insult to call them a single-celled organism. Or a fish with leglike fins.
This cuts to the core of why this whole deal is simply reactionary. If you think the thing through you realize that none of it matters and the entire situation is absurd. Then we can all just move on.

HolmeZz
11-01-2006, 01:50 PM
GITCHO BLACK BANANA PEELIN' HANDS OFF OF MEH.

Frankie
11-01-2006, 02:41 PM
"Hooman Hamzehloui!" Ha ha! Stupid Iranian American dude gets himself in hot water

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 03:08 PM
GITCHO BLACK BANANA PEELIN' HANDS OFF OF MEH.

Stop that racist talk, you fish-with-leglike-fins.

Ultra Peanut
11-01-2006, 04:42 PM
GITCHO BLACK BANANA PEELIN' HANDS OFF OF MEH.Ronald Reagan standing beside White Jesus in White Heaven.

Lbedrock1
11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
While in Korea, in 1968, one of my buddies called our houseboy a monkey. (Wonswingee) The houseboy "lost so much face" he didn't come to work for the next two days. It depends on the culture and the situation. Black people call each other the "N" word all the time. But whitey better damn well not do it.
Let me help you with this so you have a clear understanding about it.
N*I*G*G*E*R* is what is used by a white racist who wants to degrade or put down a black, african american, or someone of african decent.
N*I*G*G*E*R*:
—Usage note The term N*I*G*G*E*R* is now probably the most offensive word in English. Its degree of offensiveness has increased markedly in recent years, although it has been used in a derogatory manner since at least the Revolutionary War. Definitions 1a, 1b, and 2 represent meanings that are deeply disparaging and are used when the speaker deliberately wishes to cause great offense. Definition 1a, however, is sometimes used among African-Americans in a neutral or familiar way. Definition 3 is not normally considered disparaging—as in “The Irish are the N*I*G*G*E*R*s of Europe” from Roddy Doyle's The Commitments—but the other uses are considered contemptuous and hostile.
Now what black males call each other is N*I*G*G*A*, notice the absences of the er. Strangely the word has taken on another meaning which means my good friend. The reason a white guy can't use the word is because when it is used by a white guy the intention is not always clear, so it is best not to use the word just call him your good friend. Besides you may accidently put the er at the end and then it becomes a fight.

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 06:35 PM
N*I*G*G*E*R* is what is used by a white racist who wants to degrade or put down a black, african american, or someone of african decent.
N*I*G*G*E*R*:
—Usage note The term N*I*G*G*E*R* is now probably the most offensive word in English. Its degree of offensiveness has increased markedly in recent years, although it has been used in a derogatory manner since at least the Revolutionary War. Definitions 1a, 1b, and 2 represent meanings that are deeply disparaging and are used when the speaker deliberately wishes to cause great offense. Definition 1a, however, is sometimes used among African-Americans in a neutral or familiar way. Definition 3 is not normally considered disparaging—as in “The Irish are the N*I*G*G*E*R*s of Europe” from Roddy Doyle's The Commitments—but the other uses are considered contemptuous and hostile.
Now what black males call each other is N*I*G*G*A*, notice the absences of the er. Strangely the word has taken on another meaning which means my good friend. The reason a white guy can't use the word is because when it is used by a white guy the intention is not always clear, so it is best not to use the word just call him your good friend. Besides you may accidently put the er at the end and then it becomes a fight.

We need a new term that can be used when we white people want to be friendly to African Americans, and which won't exclude us from the brotherhood of words that start with N*I*G*G. If "er" is taken and "a" is taken, and since we don't want any sound that could be mistaken for "er", may I propose "ie"? Can N*I*G*G*I*E become part of the American lexicon to signify friendliness from a white to an African American?

Calcountry
11-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Context is key.

Is "coon" a racial slur?May I help you boy. Is a racial slur.

Sure-Oz
11-01-2006, 06:50 PM
better question....is "honkey" considered a racial slur?? lol

Easy 6
11-01-2006, 06:53 PM
I think it would be constructive to hear from the black folks on the board, from what i can tell they are oddly silent on this issue. My guess for the reason is that they think it would turn ugly, but i have every reason to believe any BS would be quickly squashed.

Calcountry
11-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Poor, downtrodden white people. Someone should really speak up for them and lend a helping hand.Sorry, that would be a violation of equal opportunity or affirmative action.

Calcountry
11-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Ronald Reagan standing beside White Jesus in White Heaven.Jesus died for my sins, if he is black, then I am fine with that.

I am sure, that when he died for my sins, that he didn't do it only for the white sinners.

Definitely, he was an equal opportunity sacrifice.

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 07:07 PM
I think it would be constructive to hear from the black folks on the board, from what i can tell they are oddly silent on this issue. My guess for the reason is that they think it would turn ugly, but i have every reason to believe any BS would be quickly squashed.

I think at least one of our African American population has spoken up. I consider him to be a good N*I*G*G*I*E of mine.

Boy, it's going to take some work to get used to that word. It scares me every time I use it.

Easy 6
11-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Jesus died for my sins, if he is black, then I am fine with that.

I am sure, that when he died for my sins, that he didn't do it only for the white sinners.

Definitely, he was an equal opportunity sacrifice.
Jesus looked like a middle eastern Jew from all i've gathered.

Calcountry
11-01-2006, 07:10 PM
N*I*G*G*E*R*:
Now what black males call each other is N*I*G*G*A*, notice the absences of the er. Strangely the word has taken on another meaning which means my good friend. The reason a white guy can't use the word is because when it is used by a white guy the intention is not always clear, so it is best not to use the word just call him your good friend. Besides you may accidently put the er at the end and then it becomes a fight.I have seen blacks on a basketball court throwing that iggAH back and forth up and down the court and it eventually wasn't friendly anymore. Funny, they weren't sayin iggUR, but still iggAh, but the facial expressions were more violent and angry. Perhaps, only in the inner soul of a black man, through Extra Sensory Perception, can they, and they alone tell with which intent the word is being used. It is in the sole discretion of the listener(who must be black) to determine the value of the word. No other arbiters can offer a valid opinion on the subject, to which I will now exit quietly.

Calcountry
11-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Jesus looked like a middle eastern Jew from all i've gathered.I'm cool with whatever my Savior looked like.

Ultra Peanut
11-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Jesus died for my sins, if he is black, then I am fine with that.

Definitely, he was an equal opportunity sacrifice.Very well, then.

That was a reference to a previously-quoted television show.

Tribal Warfare
11-02-2006, 01:02 AM
I'm cool with whatever my Savior looked like.

Okay where are the Rich Scanlon pictures damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are slipping

Lbedrock1
11-02-2006, 05:13 AM
I have seen blacks on a basketball court throwing that iggAH back and forth up and down the court and it eventually wasn't friendly anymore. Funny, they weren't sayin iggUR, but still iggAh, but the facial expressions were more violent and angry. Perhaps, only in the inner soul of a black man, through Extra Sensory Perception, can they, and they alone tell with which intent the word is being used. It is in the sole discretion of the listener(who must be black) to determine the value of the word. No other arbiters can offer a valid opinion on the subject, to which I will now exit quietly.
It doesn't count while basketball is being played. That is when competitive juices are flowing and anger can pop up for other reason which then leads to the other intent of the word. Think about it can the pot really call the kettle black?

Lbedrock1
11-02-2006, 05:24 AM
We need a new term that can be used when we white people want to be friendly to African Americans, and which won't exclude us from the brotherhood of words that start with N*I*G*G. If "er" is taken and "a" is taken, and since we don't want any sound that could be mistaken for "er", may I propose "ie"? Can N*I*G*G*I*E become part of the American lexicon to signify friendliness from a white to an African American?
Only if "My" is used right before it and you don't mind being called a niggie. So it would sound like this: "Man Lbedrock you are are my niggie".
Don't ever say it like Lbedrock is a niggie then it has the intent that it is bad and you would never want to be that. But you would have to except first that "Rain Man? That's my niggie". You would have to be a close friends of that person first because either a niggie is your friend or he is a enemy. Are you confused yet?

chagrin
11-02-2006, 06:00 AM
Spin it anyway you want, the whole things is ridiculous

SLAG
11-02-2006, 06:04 AM
Spin it anyway you want, the whole things is ridiculous

Why cant people just take it ouside any more..

beat the shit out of eachother then go have a beer together

instead they get their vagina's all sandy and love to sniff their own farts

chagrin
11-02-2006, 06:13 AM

nod, agreed - I can't believe they are still going on about it.

greg63
11-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Is ''Monkey'' a Racial Slur??
In itself: no, however, like all other nouns it depends on how the term is used.

greg63
11-02-2006, 07:38 AM

LMAO

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Only if "My" is used right before it and you don't mind being called a niggie. So it would sound like this: "Man Lbedrock you are are my niggie".
Don't ever say it like Lbedrock is a niggie then it has the intent that it is bad and you would never want to be that. But you would have to except first that "Rain Man? That's my niggie". You would have to be a close friends of that person first because either a niggie is your friend or he is a enemy. Are you confused yet?

This is all so complicated. Is there some sort of program I can buy for my Palm Pilot that would help me out in live situations?

kcfan88
11-02-2006, 10:27 AM
"they get their vagina's all sandy and love to sniff their own farts"...
Now that's funny! i don't care who you are!!

kcfan88
11-02-2006, 10:29 AM
This is all so complicated. Is there some sort of program I can buy for my Palm Pilot that would help me out in live situations?

I suggest you just RUN every time you see someone who is a different color/race than yourself!

Ultra Peanut
11-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Now that's funny! i don't care who you are!!Die in a fire.

Predarat
11-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Now days just about everything is a racial slur.

KChiefsQT
11-02-2006, 11:22 AM
I call my niece monkey all the time, she loves it.

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 01:01 PM

Is she really hairy or something?

chagrin
11-02-2006, 01:05 PM

Gosh, I hope she's not black, I mean, nevermind - that totally did not come out like I meant it to. :shake:

jspchief
11-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Is the word "monkey" a racial slur? No.

Is calling a black person a monkey in an insulting tone racist? Yea, it is.

NewChief
11-02-2006, 01:18 PM

Heh. I was just going to post that I call my son "monkey" all the time as well.

Otter
11-02-2006, 01:29 PM
People are ****ing ridiculous. Let's all focus on the bullshit things in life so we don't have face what's really killing and haunting us. It's a more benign form of hiding at the bottom of a bottle to avoid the real problems.

If it makes you feel better call me a grease ball guinie, goomba wop, shiney white ass, cracker. Seriously, it's OK.

I'll get over it.

J Diddy
11-02-2006, 01:53 PM
People are ****ing ridiculous. Let's all focus on the bullshit things in life so we don't have face what's really killing and haunting us. It's a more benign form of hiding at the bottom of a bottle to avoid the real problems.

If it makes you feel better call me a grease ball guinie, goomba wop, shiney white ass, cracker. Seriously, it's OK.

I'll get over it.

grease ball guinie, goomba wop, shiney white ass, cracker

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Grease ball guinie, goomba wop, shiney white ass, cracker.

Hey, this is kind of therapeutic.

11-02-2006, 01:55 PM
I want to thank everybody who contributed their thoughts in this thread..and I will post the 100th post :drool:

go bo
11-02-2006, 05:38 PM
I want to thank everybody who contributed their thoughts in this thread..and I will post the 100th post :drool:i don't want to disappoint you, but your post was not #100...

it's 102 on my screen...

do you have somebody on iggie?

greg63
11-03-2006, 12:50 AM

Yep.

DanT
11-03-2006, 03:37 AM
Here's a paragraph that refers to the "little monkey" incident from the Wikipedia.org entry on Howard Cosell:

The "little monkey" incident

Cosell drew criticism during one Monday Night Football telecast in September 1983, for calling a wide receiver for the Washington Redskins, Alvin Garrett, a "little monkey." While some saw the term as having a racial connotation, many who knew Cosell were quick to point out that he used this term routinely in an approving way to describe quicker, smaller players of all ethnicities. Among the evidence to support this claim is video footage of a 1972 preseason game, between the New York Giants and the Kansas City Chiefs, that features Cosell referring to Mike Adamle, a 5-foot-9-inch, 197-pound Caucasian, as a "little monkey."

If my memory is correct, at the time of the 1983 controversy Cosell's defenders were also able to point to a recent baseball telecast in which Cosell called white Atlanta Braves second baseman Glenn Hubbard a monkey while praising his fielding skills, saying something along the lines of 'that little monkey can really pick it.' The Cosell incident caught my attention at the time because not long before then I had myself gotten into a scrape in junior high when I had used "monkey" to refer to some misbehaving classmates who were following the lead of a single guy in class who was giving a substitute teacher a hard time. My intention was to demean the classmates for their "monkey see, monkey do" stupidity, and I hadn't even known that "monkey" was a racist slur until soon afterward. Remarkably, I had eluded that knowledge while growing up in a neighborhood that was over 90% black.

11-03-2006, 07:30 AM
i don't want to disappoint you, but your post was not #100...

it's 102 on my screen...

do you have somebody on iggie?
No..when I clicked on the reply button it was only up to 99 posts..but with the tremendous amount of traffic on the planet..2 posts were made with lightning speed..

I am not disappointed..but I would like to personally thank you for pointing that out to me!!!

Fairplay
11-03-2006, 07:34 AM
One day on a visit to the St.Louis zoo we were at the ape cages.

This african american couple was next to us. His wife/girlfriend kept makeing fun of him for looking just like that ape.

"You look just like that ape...look..look..you look just like that ape!"
She kept saying and laughing.

I should have reported her to the racist police.

TrebMaxx
11-04-2006, 10:33 PM
I like monkeys.

The pet store was selling them for five cents a piece. I thought that
odd since they were normally a couple thousand each. I decided not to
look a gift horse in the mouth. I bought 200. I like monkeys.

I took my 200 monkeys home. I have a big car. I let one drive. His
name was Sigmund. He was retarded. In fact, none of them were really
bright. They kept punching themselves in their genitals. I laughed.
Then they punched my genitals. I stopped laughing.

I herded them into my room. They didn't adapt very well to their new
environment. They would screech, hurl themselves off of the couch at
high speeds and slam into the wall. Although humorous at first, the
spectacle lost its novelty halfway into its third hour.

Two hours later I found out why all the monkeys were so inexpensive:
they all died. No apparent reason. They all just sorta' dropped dead.
Kinda' like when you buy a goldfish and it dies five hours later. Damn
cheap monkeys.

I didn't know what to do. There were 200 dead monkeys lying all over my
room, on the bed, in the dresser, hanging from my bookcase. It looked
like I had 200 throw rugs.

I tried to flush one down the toilet. It didn't work. It got stuck.
Then I had one dead, wet monkey and 199 dead, dry monkeys.

I tried pretending that they were just stuffed animals. That worked for
a while, that is until they began to decompose. It started to smell real
bad.

I had to pee but there was a dead monkey in the toilet and I didn't want
to call the plumber. I was embarrassed.

I tried to slow down the decomposition by freezing them. Unfortunately
there was only enough room for two monkeys at a time so I had to change
them every 30 seconds. I also had to eat all the food in the freezer so
it didn't all go bad.

I tried burning them. Little did I know my bed was flammable. I had to
extinguish the fire.

Then I had one dead, wet monkey in my toilet, two dead, frozen monkeys in
my freezer, and 197 dead, charred monkeys in a pile on my bed. The odor
wasn't improving.

I became agitated at my inability to dispose of my monkeys and to use the
bathroom. I severely beat one of my monkeys. I felt better.

I tried throwing them way but the garbage man said that the city wasn't
allowed to dispose of charred primates. I told him that I had a wet
one. He couldn't take that one either. I didn't bother asking about the
frozen ones.

I finally arrived at a solution. I gave them out as Christmas gifts. My
friends didn't know quite what to say. They pretended that they like
them but I could tell they were lying. Ingrates. So I punched them in
the genitals.

I like monkeys

greg63
11-04-2006, 11:37 PM
I wonder if monkeys dislike being called people.

11-04-2006, 11:40 PM
I wonder if monkeys dislike being called people.
Lets ask them :D
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z8ORtVg3o8A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z8ORtVg3o8A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

greg63
11-04-2006, 11:58 PM
I wonderd how long it would take for a Planet of the Apes reference. LMAO

Oxford
11-05-2006, 06:33 AM

Mutumbo is in a public venue, performing for the spectators who paid a price to see him. In that venue, no it is not a slur.

Calling me "crackah", "cracker" or whatever other "street-cred-gangsta" insult of the day is not racial because I'm white. You can't even use the word "N*gg*rdly" anymore. Blacks can use the word "N*gg*r" with impunity but I can't. Why is that? Because they are just as racist as anyone else is. They are just as hate filled as anyone else is. But to apply that rule would make them open to criticism, and that would not be PC. So at the end of the day, what do we have? A populace creating code words/phrases to express the hate they feel. And everyone gets a little more cynical.

And the beat goes on..... and the beat goes on.

By the way, porch monkey is a slur.
A spade is something you dig with
A cracker is something you eat
A monkey is a term to describe a class of primates

ClevelandBronco
01-28-2008, 01:14 AM
I like monkeys.

The pet store was selling them for five cents a piece. I thought that
odd since they were normally a couple thousand each. I decided not to
look a gift horse in the mouth. I bought 200. I like monkeys.

I took my 200 monkeys home. I have a big car. I let one drive. His
name was Sigmund. He was retarded. In fact, none of them were really
bright. They kept punching themselves in their genitals. I laughed.
Then they punched my genitals. I stopped laughing.

I herded them into my room. They didn't adapt very well to their new
environment. They would screech, hurl themselves off of the couch at
high speeds and slam into the wall. Although humorous at first, the
spectacle lost its novelty halfway into its third hour.

Two hours later I found out why all the monkeys were so inexpensive:
they all died. No apparent reason. They all just sorta' dropped dead.
Kinda' like when you buy a goldfish and it dies five hours later. Damn
cheap monkeys.

I didn't know what to do. There were 200 dead monkeys lying all over my
room, on the bed, in the dresser, hanging from my bookcase. It looked
like I had 200 throw rugs.

I tried to flush one down the toilet. It didn't work. It got stuck.
Then I had one dead, wet monkey and 199 dead, dry monkeys.

I tried pretending that they were just stuffed animals. That worked for
a while, that is until they began to decompose. It started to smell real
bad.

I had to pee but there was a dead monkey in the toilet and I didn't want
to call the plumber. I was embarrassed.

I tried to slow down the decomposition by freezing them. Unfortunately
there was only enough room for two monkeys at a time so I had to change
them every 30 seconds. I also had to eat all the food in the freezer so
it didn't all go bad.

I tried burning them. Little did I know my bed was flammable. I had to
extinguish the fire.

Then I had one dead, wet monkey in my toilet, two dead, frozen monkeys in
my freezer, and 197 dead, charred monkeys in a pile on my bed. The odor
wasn't improving.

I became agitated at my inability to dispose of my monkeys and to use the
bathroom. I severely beat one of my monkeys. I felt better.

I tried throwing them way but the garbage man said that the city wasn't
allowed to dispose of charred primates. I told him that I had a wet
one. He couldn't take that one either. I didn't bother asking about the
frozen ones.

I finally arrived at a solution. I gave them out as Christmas gifts. My
friends didn't know quite what to say. They pretended that they like
them but I could tell they were lying. Ingrates. So I punched them in
the genitals.

I like monkeys

Where did this guy go? I just read his stuff for the first time and I already miss him.

ClevelandBronco
01-28-2008, 01:17 AM
No, monkey is perfectly acceptable.

I think I've heard about you.

Ultra Peanut
01-28-2008, 01:24 AM
YOU AIN'T HEARD NOTHIN' WHITE BOY

ClevelandBronco
01-28-2008, 01:26 AM
YOU AIN'T HEARD NOTHIN' WHITE BOY

Then preach to me, white girl.

Ultra Peanut
01-28-2008, 01:51 AM
In Mexico, Spanish American priest Miguel Hidalgo rallied a powerful mob in 1810 before making a fatal error -- turning away from Mexico City and towards Guadalajara -- which eventually cost him his life. He was succeeded by mestizo priest José María Morelos, who adopted guerilla tactics against the Spanish. This managed to make their troops miserable and forced the government to collect larger taxes to support the counterinsurgency effort, leading to resentment among the upper class locals. Morelos was defeated and executed in 1815.

ClevelandBronco
01-28-2008, 02:10 AM
In Mexico, Spanish American priest Miguel Hidalgo rallied a powerful mob in 1810 before making a fatal error -- turning away from Mexico City and towards Guadalajara -- which eventually cost him his life. He was succeeded by mestizo priest José María Morelos, who adopted guerilla tactics against the Spanish. This managed to make their troops miserable and forced the government to collect larger taxes to support the counterinsurgency effort, leading to resentment among the upper class locals. Morelos was defeated and executed in 1815.

That ain't going to do it. I know more about Mexican history that my wife who left Mexico at the age of 20.

Preach to me about Portugal or something. I have no clue about those guys.

Ultra Peanut
01-28-2008, 02:13 AM
Portugal is known for two things, my good man: Docks and Cocks.

ClevelandBronco
01-28-2008, 02:48 AM
Portugal is known for two things, my good man: Docks and Cocks.

Y'see? That's new to me.

Ultra Peanut
01-28-2008, 03:09 AM
An ancient Portuguese proverb: Throwing money into your toilet is bad, because if you throw money in your toilet, you won't be able to use it to buy food, or furniture. Instead, you should set it on fire, and toss the ashes into the toilet. That way, the toilet won't clog.

teedubya
01-28-2008, 03:21 AM
wow.

TEX
01-28-2008, 07:14 AM
I wonder what a monkey would feel like if you called it a Mutombo ?

01-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Where did this guy go? I just read his stuff for the first time and I already miss him.
Dude, what made you bump this old thread? :spock:

el borracho
01-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Not inherently, no.

ClevelandBronco
01-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Dude, what made you bump this old thread? :spock:

I didn't. Marlboro Chief showed up again and bumped it. Then all evidence of his reincarnation was wiped off the Planet.

I'm innocent.

Well, that's BS. I'm not guilty, which can be far removed from innocent.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 12:42 PM
I didn't. Marlboro Chief showed up again and bumped it. Then all evidence of his reincarnation was wiped off the Planet.

I'm innocent.

Well, that's BS. I'm not guilty, which can be far removed from innocent.

Tell Marlboro Chief that it's still a slur.

BigRock
01-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Mutumbo is in a public venue, performing for the spectators who paid a price to see him. In that venue, no it is not a slur.
Boy, this thread is just chock full of gold. If gold was embarrassing and made you weep for humanity.

teedubya
01-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Here is a story that popped up on Digg a couple days ago.

http://www.nationalpost.com/most_popular/story.html?id=261254

It was a routine e-mail from the boss sent to congratulate a junior prosecutor in Houston, Tex., who had won manslaughter convictions against an intoxicated driver.

"He convicted Mr. Sosa of a double intoxication manslaughter, got a weak jury to give him 12 years in each, and then convinced Judge Wallace to stack the sentences," Harris County assistant district attorney Mike Trent wrote in an office-wide memo. Then came the odd part: "He overcame a subversively good defence by Matt Hennessey that had some Canadians on the jury feeling sorry for the defendant and forced them to do the right thing."

The e-mail was sent in 2003 but came to light only this month as part of an unrelated controversy with his office, forcing Mr. Trent to defend himself against accusations of bigotry -- not because he offended the people of Canada, but because "Canadian" has apparently become a code word for blacks among American racists.

"There is a double meaning to that word and I didn't know it. I was horrified when I learned what it was, and I immediately addressed the issue with the people who brought it up," Mr. Trent told a local Fox News reporter in a recent interview.

"I'd never heard of Canadian being used as a term for a black person or for a racial slur," he said.

"If I had, I would never send that out in an office-wide e-mail that's going to go to people who are going to be offended if they recognize it as such. That would be crazy.... I'm not a racist. I'm not a bigot," Mr. Trent said.

Mark Vinson, who was a chief prosecutor in the Harris County office at the time, said he was puzzled by the reference to Canadians when he got the e-mail but was too busy to give it much thought. Then some colleagues informed him about the slang meaning of Canadian, and he felt crushed.

"So much has been accomplished in terms of equal opportunities, and the office had a super reputation," Mr. Vinson, who is black, told the National Post. "I just couldn't imagine someone in the office who would engage in that conduct."

He said he believes Mr. Trent's assurance that he had simply repeated a term used by the prosecutor on the case, Rob Freyer. Mr. Freyer did not return a message left yesterday.

"I know Mike. We laugh and talk about the [Dallas] Cowboys," Mr. Vinson said. "I truly don't believe that Mike knew what he was saying."

It is unusual that a seasoned attorney like Mr. Trent would not have wondered how a Harris County jury came to be stacked with Canadians. (There were no Canadians on the jury but there were some black members.) "The only way that there could have been Canadians on the jury, was if they were born in Canada and then became U.S. citizens, and then became citizens of the county in which the case was tried," Mr. Vinson noted.

Mr. Trent told Fox News that was not out of the question. "It would not be impossible or unusual for people from other countries to be on our juries," he said. "That's what I was told, and I took it as the literal meaning."

The bigger mystery is how "Canadian" came to be code for black. An online directory of racial slurs defines Canadian as a "masked replacement" for black.

Last August, a blogger in Cincinnati going by the name CincyBlurg reported that a black friend from the southeastern U.S. had recently discovered that she was being called a Canadian. "She told me a story of when she was working in a shop in the South and she overheard some of her customers complaining that they were always waited on by a Canadian at that place. She didn't understand what they were talking about and assumed they must be talking about someone else," the blogger wrote.

"After this happened several times with different patrons, she mentioned it to one of her co-workers. He told her that ‘Canadian' was the new derogatory term that racist Southerners were using to describe persons they would have previously referred to [with the N-word.]"

A similar case in Kansas City was reported last year on a Listserv, or electronic mailing list, used by linguistics experts. A University of Kansas linguist said that a waitress friend reported that "fellow workers used to use a name for inner-city families that were known to not leave a tip: Canadians. ‘Hey, we have a table of Canadians.... They're all yours.' "

Stefan Dollinger, a postdoctoral fellow in linguistics at University of British Columbia and director of the university's Canadian English lab, speculated that the slur reflects a sense of Canadians as the other.

"This ‘code' word, is the replacement of a no-longer tolerated label for one outsider group, with, from the U.S. view, another outsider group: Canadians. It could have been terms for Mexicans, Latinos etc. but this would have been too obvious," he said. "What's left? Right, the guys to the north."

teedubya
01-28-2008, 12:59 PM
I have used the code word, Canadians, in relationship to a black family that didn't tip, which in the restaurant industry is quite frequent for some reason.

This was circa 1995. So, take it for what its worth.

ClevelandBronco
01-28-2008, 01:06 PM
He is Marlboro Chief. He is legion. He does not forgive or forget.

MahiMike
01-28-2008, 01:26 PM
no but banana is.

acesn8s
01-28-2008, 03:22 PM
I can hear Randall with his Porch Monkey 4 Life uniform
"There you go little porch monkey. It's OK. I'm taking it back"

munkey
01-28-2008, 04:50 PM
NO... ;-)

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Then what do you call we Canadians when you don't want us to know?

Don417
01-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Jim Rome told me a monkey is a program director at a radio station. How is this racial?

blueballs
01-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Grease monkey
monkey wrench
monkey bread

Extra Point
01-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Look at this little thread go!

greg63
01-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Any term depending on how it's used and with what sentiment can be construed as a racial slur.

...PC run amuck.