PDA

View Full Version : Holmes to see neurosurgeon this week

C-Mac
11-01-2006, 07:40 AM
Holmes to see neurosurgeon this week
Team announcement planned after running back visits doctor.
By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

Priest Holmes may be hundreds of miles away from his teammates, but he still watches every game. And apparently he knows as much about the Chiefs’ offense as he did before the head and neck injuries that knocked him out of football a year ago.

“When I talked to him two weeks ago,” Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said, “he saw the game when Larry (Johnson) got hurt and he asked how he was doing.

“He said he still has the itch (to play).”

Holmes, a Pro Bowl running back who’s still on the physically-unable-to-perform list, will see a neurosurgeon in Miami at the end of the week. Peterson said the Chiefs will have an announcement on his playing status after the doctor’s visit.

Holmes has stayed at home in San Antonio while Kansas City’s 4-3 season has unfolded. Peterson said that was the agreement, in part because Holmes didn’t want to create a media circus. Peterson said that Holmes has been training and that the Chiefs have until the 12th week of the season to decide whether to activate him.

The club took steps to prepare for life after Holmes this summer when it signed Michael Bennett to be Johnson’s backup. Johnson put together a Pro Bowl season after Holmes was knocked out in the San Diego game last year and has solidified himself as the Chiefs’ No. 1 running back.

Holmes turned 33 last month. Peterson declined to speculate whether Holmes’ career would be over if he can’t play this season.

“I would never make that prediction with Priest Holmes,” he said. “I’ve said it a hundred times before — there were a lot of media and a lot of fans who said he would never ever play football again after he had his hip surgery. And he came back.”

Lzen
11-01-2006, 07:46 AM
I loved Priest for what he gave to the Chiefs during his time in KC. But of all the Chiefs I would ever want to retire, he is the one. He may have come back from injuries before, but this one is some serious stuff. Thanks for the memories, Priest.

boogblaster
11-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Second that..thanks..but your health has to come first.....

Kyle401
11-01-2006, 07:54 AM
If there is any doubt about his health, he should retire. However, if he's 100% in shape and healthy, I'd love to have him back for the rest of the season. Bennett hasn't been healthy and there is no one behind him. LJ can't keep getting 35-40.

alpha_omega
11-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Who?

Hog Farmer
11-01-2006, 08:00 AM
He makes way too much money to worry about his health. We need him to back up LJ.

Mr. Laz
11-01-2006, 08:01 AM
just looking for a Docter somewhere to tell him that he CAN'T play again so he can keep all his bonus money.

Anyong Bluth
11-01-2006, 08:07 AM
He redid his contract in the offseason so help our cap situation in return he got some $ that would come to him regardless of if he played or not. It helped our cap situation quite a bit and he's not making all that much. Don't bash him for taking a paycheck w/out working- the dude busted his ass to get back and produce for us. You can't fault someone for having a spinal injury- thats just plain dick

HemiEd
11-01-2006, 08:10 AM
just looking for a Docter somewhere to tell him that he CAN'T play again so he can keep all his bonus money.

Probably true,

Hope he can't find one.

Mr. Laz
11-01-2006, 08:16 AM
He redid his contract in the offseason so help our cap situation in return he got some $ that would come to him regardless of if he played or not. It helped our cap situation quite a bit and he's not making all that much. Don't bash him for taking a paycheck w/out working- the dude busted his ass to get back and produce for us. You can't fault someone for having a spinal injury- thats just plain dick
link?

John_Wayne
11-01-2006, 08:25 AM
If there is any doubt about his health, he should retire. However, if he's 100% in shape and healthy, I'd love to have him back for the rest of the season. Bennett hasn't been healthy and there is no one behind him. LJ can't keep getting 35-40. Yep. I'd love to have him back too. He'd be a good 3rd down and specialty RB. LJ has a hard time catching swing passes out of the backfield. He'd be a great asset to the offense. He'd be an insurance policy if LJ were to get injured.

jynni
11-01-2006, 08:30 AM
It would be nice to get LJ, Priest & Bennett all in at the same time...

ROYC75
11-01-2006, 08:32 AM
PH to IR, watch for his return next year...............

Braincase
11-01-2006, 08:57 AM
It would be nice to get LJ, Priest & Bennett all in at the same time...

Wishbone!

Bob Dole
11-01-2006, 09:35 AM
If there is any doubt about his health, he should retire. However, if he's 100% in shape and healthy, I'd love to have him back for the rest of the season. Bennett hasn't been healthy and there is no one behind him. LJ can't keep getting 35-40.

Bennett just tweaked a hamstring while reading your post.

Chieftain58
11-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Trade him, the Chiefs can't afford the salary cap hit they will take if they straight out cut him. They would like some of their signing bonus money back if he retires, so it's in a stalemate and a wait and see approach that the team and Priest are both taking.

milkman
11-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Trade him, the Chiefs can't afford the salary cap hit they will take if they straight out cut him. They would like some of their signing bonus money back if he retires, so it's in a stalemate and a wait and see approach that the team and Priest are both taking.

LMAO

Do you know how any of this works?

I don't know what his cap numbers are, but even if the Chiefs could trade him (highly, highly doubtful) the cap hit would be exactly the same as it would be if he retires.

R&GHomer
11-01-2006, 10:36 AM
If Priest retires because of injury the Chiefs wouldn't take a big cap hit... would they? You would think he would keep a good portion of his signing bonus and the rest of the contract would be null and void.

Chieftain58
11-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Ricky Williams retired so that is what I was going off of(Since the Dolphins got back his signing bonus or part of it not the Saints). The Signing Bonus is transferred to the team he goes to is the way I understand it.

milkman
11-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Ricky Williams retired so that is what I was going off of(Since the Dolphins got back his signing bonus or part of it not the Saints). The Signing Bonus is transferred to the team he goes to is the way I understand it.

If Priest retires as the result of injury (the only reason he would retire at this point), any remaining signing pro-rated bonus accelerates to the cap.

If he's traded, the same happens, which is one of the reasons player movement via trade is so rare now.

Logical
11-01-2006, 11:21 AM

As far as I know he keeps all his signing bonus money anyway. All a Doctor saying he can't play would do would give him his insurance money on top of that.

Logical
11-01-2006, 11:24 AM

Not the same type of situation and they were going to have to sue him to get the money back. It would not have helped them with the salary cap.

Calcountry
11-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Yep. I'd love to have him back too. He'd be a good 3rd down and specialty RB. LJ has a hard time catching swing passes out of the backfield. He'd be a great asset to the offense. He'd be an insurance policy if LJ were to get injured.LJ caught the one in Arizona. LJ caught the one against the Raiders last year.

The foo, just needs to learn to catch it first, basic, fundamental, and he knows it.

It's not like any other receiver on the team, who gets PAID to do that, hasn't consistently dropped the ball.

Priest could set blocks on the stretch sweep play as masterfully as any back I have seen. LJ has trouble with when to down shift on that play, but that is life. He is getting better at making a quick side step and then burning rubber to get through the hole though, that is just him, his style.

KC-TBB
11-01-2006, 11:39 AM
DON'T JACK WITH LJ...

TEX
11-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Yep. I'd love to have him back too. He'd be a good 3rd down and specialty RB. LJ has a hard time catching swing passes out of the backfield. He'd be a great asset to the offense. He'd be an insurance policy if LJ were to get injured.

Yep.

htismaqe
11-01-2006, 11:53 AM
LJ drops a couple of swing passes and suddenly he can't catch. I love this place.

tk13
11-01-2006, 12:53 PM
link?
He definitely restructured his contract already... a lot of people have forgotten that though. It was never really announced I don't believe. People just picked up on it from the NFLPA site. He surely got some bonus money up front for doing this but chopped $14-15 million off the rest of the contract. He's now only due just over $3.5 million in base salary over the next four years. Admittedly I haven't checked the NFLPA site to see if these numbers are still true, somebody can do that if they want.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=136653

Gravedigger
11-01-2006, 01:16 PM
I really don't know if Priest would fit in with Herm's offense. Priest is a perimeter runner who loves sweeps and screens but Herm loves Larry's up the gut and off tackle running. It could work but I dunno

Halfcan
11-01-2006, 01:23 PM
I loved Priest for what he gave to the Chiefs during his time in KC. But of all the Chiefs I would ever want to retire, he is the one. He may have come back from injuries before, but this one is some serious stuff. Thanks for the memories, Priest.
yep

Calcountry
11-01-2006, 03:43 PM
LJ drops a couple of swing passes and suddenly he can't catch. I love this place.Its like, we should telegraph our plays by running Priest out there to take the swing passes.

Valiant
11-01-2006, 05:21 PM
The key to him playing is it would be his tenth year and would be eligible for the nflplayers benefits after he retires... Same for Faulk I believe...

sedated
11-01-2006, 05:23 PM
has anyone heard ANY result from ANY of Priest's doctor visits?

Deberg_1990
11-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Wishbone!

God that would be brutal if some genious O-coordinator could get it to work??