PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights 2

keg in kc
11-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Should be getting my copy from UPS in the next few hours.

See you guys in 2007. *chuckle*

Mr. Laz
11-03-2006, 09:17 AM
i played NWN 1 .... but it never really hooked me. :shrug:

dunno why

keep us informed about whether 2 it's any good.

keg in kc
11-03-2006, 11:20 AM
I was sort of the same way with NWN. I bought it when it came out, played it for a few days and then lost interest. A year or two later, in the middle of one of those times when there weren't any good RPG's out, I reloaded it, grabbed the two expansions and found myself liking it a lot more, for whatever reason. Particularly Hordes of the Underdark.

As for the new one, it's good so far. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play yet, but so far it seems to be sort of an amalgamum of NWN and KotOR, with party control more like Baldur's Gate than the first NWN. It looks good graphically, and there's voice acting and cutscenes out the wazoo so far.

I'll let you know more as I go along, but I'm really digging it so far.

I just started over, as a Drow Wizard. Should be interesting.

htismaqe
11-03-2006, 11:46 AM
i played NWN 1 .... but it never really hooked me. :shrug:

dunno why

keep us informed about whether 2 it's any good.

I know why.

Because NWN is about customization, creation, and an open-ended game. Those types of games don't tend to draw you in like a more linear, story-driven game.

KC Jones
11-04-2006, 08:45 AM
For those that weren't hooked by NWN1...

The main campaigns pale in comparison to some of the user created campaigns. It's as simple as downloading some files, unziping them, and dropping them in a directory. Just go here and browse for one with a high rating that sounds good:

http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/TopRated.php?content=modules

KC Jones
11-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Oh... and as of yet I haven't purchased NWN2. I'm pissed at the lack of a Linux server install. The client I can understand - they went with DX9 since OpenGL2 wasn't ready yet. However, in this day and age to not have a Linux server install is ridiculous. I was planning to host a server to play MP with some friends, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna make my server dual boot and direct incoming traffic to a windows box.

TrickyNicky
11-04-2006, 09:21 AM
About a few hours into my first build which is a 6 Paladin/ 1 fighter. So far it's been pretty fun. I agree that Obsidian borrowed a few things from KOTOR to improve the RP aspects of speech within NWN2. I'm probably going to try a Warlock or Sorceror build at some point.

Basileus777
11-04-2006, 02:13 PM
I know why.

Because NWN is about customization, creation, and an open-ended game. Those types of games don't tend to draw you in like a more linear, story-driven game.

Thats not unnecessarily the reason. I can't stand NVN because the gameplay isn't very good, the storyline is nonexistent, and I don't like CRPGs that don't let you have a party. I'm a big fan of open-ended games, especially the Elder Scrolls games, but NVN just doesn't appeal to me.

keg in kc
11-04-2006, 04:17 PM
I love the Elder Scrolls games, but it's odd that you'd list that series after talking about gameplay that isn't very good, a nonexistant storyline and CRPG's that don't let you have a party...

Basileus777
11-04-2006, 06:36 PM
I love the Elder Scrolls games, but it's odd that you'd list that series after talking about gameplay that isn't very good, a nonexistant storyline and CRPG's that don't let you have a party...

That was kind of my point, though i didn't really express it clearly. Its not that I dislike open games like that on principle, but I just don't like NVN. NVN's gameplay isn't as good as the Elder Scrolls games and doesn't do the open-ended atmosphere all that well. That might be ok, but it doesn't have the storyline that other CRPGs have either.

patteeu
11-05-2006, 06:08 AM
About a few hours into my first build which is a 6 Paladin/ 1 fighter. So far it's been pretty fun. I agree that Obsidian borrowed a few things from KOTOR to improve the RP aspects of speech within NWN2. I'm probably going to try a Warlock or Sorceror build at some point.

What is your thinking behind the "1 fighter" part of your character?

TrickyNicky
11-05-2006, 07:59 AM
First level was fighter and then I decided to get six in Paladin and switch over to Divine Champion from there. Probably should have planned it out a little better instead of wasting a level. That's why I'm more than likely to start over, but it's been too fun to just scrap him.

Are Monkees any good in D&D? I loved playing one in EQ.

keg in kc
11-21-2007, 09:20 PM
In order to temporarily stem the Mass Effect desire I'm dealing with, I picked up Mask of the Betrayer earlier. So far, so good.

MavKC
11-22-2007, 01:10 AM
Good luck stemming that tide hehe...

I picked up MoTB the week it came out. I played just a few minutes into it to see what it's like.

I still haven't got back yet. I'm about to go through a couple of NWN epic modules.

I'll think I'll go back to it NWN2 when my new video cards get here. Give'em a good break in with that game.

I wanna know if anyone has started playing The Witcher yet and what they think of it.

KC Jones
11-22-2007, 01:40 PM
I take it MoTB is an expansion for NWN2?

Somewhere along the way I stopped playing NWN2. I liked it well enough, just didn't have the time. I seriously doubt I'll fire it up again just to go through the same exact storyline. I'm guessing I was about halfway through.

MavKC
11-22-2007, 11:14 PM
I take it MoTB is an expansion for NWN2?

Somewhere along the way I stopped playing NWN2. I liked it well enough, just didn't have the time. I seriously doubt I'll fire it up again just to go through the same exact storyline. I'm guessing I was about halfway through.

Yes MoTB is Mask of The Betrayer expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2. It came out in October of this year.

You only go through games once? I've done the NWN2 Campaign 3 times all the way through. Not in a row mind you.

For a lot a games, you don't get see or do everything in it only one time through. For some game it takes several time through to do it all. For example I've gone through the game Deus Ex probably more times than I've see Star Wars. So many different ways to do it, I like trying them all. That way I get my money's worth.

Do you ever read a book more than once?

keg in kc
11-23-2007, 04:15 PM
It's been pretty good so far, although I don't like the camera controls or the character/strategy mode stuff.

It's a little weird, setting-wise.