PDA

View Full Version : Internet Problems???

schneider221
11-01-2006, 03:07 PM
I am hooked up to a land line that has worked perfect for awhile now and all of a sudden when i reattached my laptop up to the ethernet cord it won't work anymore. it says i am connected but the speed is only 100.0 Mbps which apparently isnt anything because it won't connect to the internet using any of my programs. i can't go wireless bc where i live in the building the signal fades in and out. anyone know what would cause this problem, did i put some sort of restriction on my internet?

this is my college internet im using and they do have a pretty tight firewall but it had been working all year so im not sure what could be the problem.

DMAC
11-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Sometimes all it takes is for you to unplug router and modem, shut down pc..plug router/modem back in..and restart pc.

Beyond that, :shrug:

ChiefsFan4Life
11-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Sometimes all it takes is for you to unplug router and modem, shut down pc..plug router/modem back in..and restart pc.

Beyond that, :shrug:

That works 95% of the time for me. Just unplug your router/modem plug back in and restart

DaFace
11-01-2006, 03:30 PM
I am hooked up to a land line that has worked perfect for awhile now and all of a sudden when i reattached my laptop up to the ethernet cord it won't work anymore. it says i am connected but the speed is only 100.0 Mbps which apparently isnt anything because it won't connect to the internet using any of my programs. i can't go wireless bc where i live in the building the signal fades in and out. anyone know what would cause this problem, did i put some sort of restriction on my internet?

this is my college internet im using and they do have a pretty tight firewall but it had been working all year so im not sure what could be the problem.

100 Mbps is the "standard" Ethernet connection rate, so there's no problem there. Seems like you're getting a connection just fine. If other people on your network aren't having the same problem as you, I'd try disabling your firewall to see if it's blocking your internet connections. If that still doesn't help, you might try using WinSock Fix (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html), which will reset a bunch of your PC's network files.

One thing you might try:
1. Go to start and select "Run" near the bottom of the list.
2. Type "cmd" without the quotes and then hit OK.
3. When you get to the command prompt, type in "ping www.yahoo.com" without the quotes in the box. Let me know what it says. Exact words aren't necessary. Just let me know if it says something like "reply," "not found," or "timed out."

schneider221
11-01-2006, 04:41 PM
thanks for the tips.... daface i did what you said and it came back as request timed out 4 times. then it says sent 4, recieved 0, lost 4

schneider221
11-01-2006, 04:43 PM
i have tried going through a router and unpluggin it and rebooting and it didnt work so now i am plugged straight to the internet wall outlet and i have the same problem

phisherman
11-01-2006, 04:44 PM
am i the only one that's wondering how he's posting on a message board w/ no connectivity?
bp

schneider221
11-01-2006, 04:49 PM
its a college campus there is wireless internet everywhere.... except for my room of course.

DaFace
11-01-2006, 06:18 PM
its a college campus there is wireless internet everywhere.... except for my room of course.

So your wireless works, but your wired connection does not? If that's the case, check check your TCP/IP settings. Go to Start, Control Panel, Network Connections and double-click your "Local Area Connection" and hit "Properties." Find "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in the list and hit Properties. In most cases, everything should be set to "obtain xxx automatically" unless your school gave you instructions otherwise.

If you do all that and still aren't on, go back to the command prompt (see my last post) and type in "ipconfig" without the quotes. Look for the "Default Gateway" address. Now type "ping (address)" and see what happens. For example, a common gateway is 192.168.1.1, so you would type "ping 192.168.1.1". Let me know what happens.