PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Larry Johnson - "I donít get hit, I give hits."

Count Zarth
11-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Q: Did you have the Herm Edwards Halloween costume planned out in advance?

JOHNSON: ďIt was just a spur of the moment thing. I was just hanging out in the Public Relations Department and I just thought the idea would be cool to dress up as Herm and kind of mimic him. That would be my little fun for the year.Ē

Q: What did Herm say about it?

JOHNSON: ďWhen he came down he just wanted to look at me and see what I looked like and then he said, Ďgo on in there, youíve got me down pat. Go in there and see what you can do.í Then he just sat in the back of the room and laughed.Ē

Q: Can you imitate Joe Paterno also?

JOHNSON: ďI could do Joe, but that would be hard. I can definitely do Herm easily, though. Heís easy to do.Ē

Q: How does your body feel after getting 39 carries last Sunday?

JOHNSON: ďMy body feels fine. I donít get hit, I give hits. Thatís the difference that people donít understand. This is what we do. This is what Big Ten backs and Penn State backs do. We are not quick and slashing-type guys that run out of bounds. Thatís not how my body was conditioned. My body was conditioned to take blows. When people ask, ĎAre you sore?í Iím not really sore. I practiced today and I had fun jumping around. My body wasnít aching and I had fun.Ē

Q: Are you having input on how is the offense growing?

JOHNSON: ďIím having a little bit more input on what we do as far as the running plays and things I like and things I donít like. Iím having more input now than Iíve have since Iíve been here, talking it over with the offensive lineman and finding out what they like and what they donít like. I think thatís whatís making this thing work.Ē

Q: Has there been a transition for you with two new tackles?

JOHNSON: ďTheir job is to block and block their man. All I have to do is run and anticipate where the hole is going to be and if itís not there then I have to have my second option trying to find out where the hole is going to be after the point of impact. Iím not going to gauge what one new guy does or what another new guy does. We all block the same scheme and weíre all running the same scheme. Thatís how we get things done.Ē

Q: What do you think of the Rams defense?

JOHNSON: ďThose guys run to the ball. They play well together and they remind me of the defense that weíve played every year in the preseason. Weíve seen them before. Theyíre going to be the same team at home that they were out in San Diego. I anticipate a whole different mindset as far as their defense playing at home.Ē

Q: Has the transition to Herm Edwards been easier than some transitions of the past?

JOHNSON: ďPeople just had to get used to what Iím about and what Iím trying to do as far as my career goes. If theyíre not on the same page as me then I canít be on the same page with them. Thatís how that transition goes. Herm came in and was on the same page as me and is trying to get done the same things that Iím trying to get done. Thatís how everything gelled together and worked. Thatís how we can have little skits where Iím making fun of him or heís making fun of me because weíre on the same page.Ē

Q: What do think of Damon Huardís play thus far?

JOHNSON: ďHeís done an awesome job. Heís hitting the guys that need to be getting the ball. Heís putting the ball in the hands of the playmakers. Heís going through his reads and heís doing things a lot better than he did at the end of the Cincinnati game and the Denver game. Heís gotten 100 times better as each game goes on because heís getting more comfortable.Ē

Q: Can you tell us about the upholstery in your truck?

JOHNSON: ďI just have jerseys of different guys who are in the Hall of Fame or are about to be in the Hall of Fame stitched into the seats of my truck. Iíve got Walter Payton, Lenny Moore, D.J. Dozier, Ernie Ladd, Ed Sprinkle, Tony Dorsett, Eric Dickerson, Jim BrownÖ the list goes on and on.Ē

Q: Were all of those guys your childhood heroes?

JOHNSON: ďThey couldnít be my childhood heroes because I wasnít around when those guys were done playing. Basically, NFL Films made it possible for me to learn more about NFL history than I have in other aspect of the sport. There was so much that NFL Films did, like Steve Sabol putting those tapes out there. Without those tapes I donít think I would have known Tony Dorsett or Dickie Post or anybody who played before me. I think a lot of players need to go back and take a look at that history.Ē

Q: Do you have a whole library of NFL Films highlight tapes?

JOHNSON: ďI donít have a whole library, but I have the things that I want to see and I watch them periodically. I canít really watch a tape on defensive lineman or defensive backs because thatís not my position. I watch some of the best runners and stuff like that.Ē

Q: Who were the guys you liked watching when you were younger?

JOHNSON: ďIt was more Walter Payton and Jim Brown when I used to watch tape. Other than that I hadnít really watched anybody else as far as football because I really didnít watch football games since I was playing all the time. When my dad sat me down to watch tape it was of those two guys.Ē

Count Zarth
11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Q: Were all of those guys your childhood heroes?

Who asked that? Rhonda Moss?

Crashride
11-01-2006, 05:06 PM

JOHNSON: ďMy body feels fine. I donít get hit, I give hits. Thatís the difference that people donít understand. This is what we do. This is what Big Ten backs and Penn State backs do. We are not quick and slashing-type guys that run out of bounds. Thatís not how my body was conditioned. My body was conditioned to take blows. When people ask, ĎAre you sore?í Iím not really sore. I practiced today and I had fun jumping around. My body wasnít aching and I had fun.Ē

Thats for all the people complaining about him getting 39 carries in one game of the season

Direckshun
11-01-2006, 05:56 PM

That's a pretty bad ass answer.

CosmicPal
11-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Q: Can you tell us about the upholstery in your truck?

JOHNSON: ďWhat the ***** were you doing looking in my truck, huh? Damn reporters. Good lord, what's next? Ya got a peephole in the men's room and you're peeking at the players as we do our duties? Huh? Was that you tripping over my rake in the backyard the other night? Goddamn son of bitches.Ē

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 06:05 PM
D.J. Dozier? Ed Sprinkle?

milkman
11-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Regardless of who is doing the actual hitting, it's still a physical sport that takes a toll on the body.

ZootedGranny
11-01-2006, 06:20 PM
"I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man! Let me handle my business; damn."
http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/11/27/1133122792_9762.jpg

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Regardless of who is doing the actual hitting, it's still a physical sport that takes a toll on the body.

Except for our defense from 2002 through 2004, of course.

milkman
11-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Except for our defense from 2002 through 2004, of course.

Yeah.
Those guys tried, and accomplished, to take hitting out of the equation.

Ari Chi3fs
11-01-2006, 06:42 PM
I wonder if the other 31 NFL teams GMs are kicking themselves for not trading for him when he was trade fodder back in 2004. heh.

stevieray
11-01-2006, 06:50 PM

only started one year in college...he's got looooooow mileage.

Tribal Warfare
11-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Regardless of who is doing the actual hitting, it's still a physical sport that takes a toll on the body.at the sametime some guys are just built to take this too. Earl Campbell was the same way, but unlike Campbell Larry will have Trent Green coming back soon which will cut his carries to 20-25 again. Earl didn't have a great QB around him, LJ does and that's his saving grace.Now if the damn O-Tackles learn how to F*CKIN block in general we'll be Okay.

Easy 6
11-01-2006, 06:56 PM
"I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man! Let me handle my business; damn."
http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/11/27/1133122792_9762.jpg
Not sure that i've EVER seen a cooler pic of Larry, looks like a ton of bricks blastin' through bruschi......... Superman

milkman
11-01-2006, 07:02 PM
at the sametime some guys are just built to take this too. Earl Campbell was the same way, but unlike Campbell Larry will have Trent Green coming back soon which will cut his carries to 20-25 again. Earl didn't have a great QB around him, LJ does and that's his saving grace.Now if the damn O-Tackles learn how to F*CKIN block in general we'll be Okay.

Earl Campbell played for, what, 8, 9 years?

And his last 2 or 3 years, he was injured, and not nearly as productive.

Tribal Warfare
11-01-2006, 07:34 PM

In those 8 years may of been the most feared RB ever by the players and DCs. Earl Campbell had noone around him that could produce that man was the Houston Oilers offense. Once Trent comes back with the "new" tackles coming in it will lessen the load for LJ to 20-25 carries.

milkman
11-01-2006, 07:39 PM
In those 8 years may of been the most feared RB ever by the players and DCs. Earl Campbell had noone around him that could produce that man was the Houston Oilers offense. Once Trent comes back with the "new" tackles coming in it will lessen the load for LJ to 20-25 carries.

The fact remains that he only had 5 full healthy productive years.
The rest of his career was marred by injury.

Jim Brown is the only physical back that produced consistently over an extended period.
But he was a 230 lb runner in the days of 260-270 lb linemen.

Tribal Warfare
11-01-2006, 07:43 PM

Jim Brown is the only physical back that produced consistently over an extended period.

The point being unlike Campbell LJ has a great QB in Trent Green to share the load in offensive production.

milkman
11-01-2006, 07:49 PM
The point being unlike Campbell LJ has a great QB in Trent Green to share the load in offensive production.

LJ had 339 carries last year, with Green at the helm, with only 9 starts.
Cambell only had 3 seasons with more.

Your point isn't valid.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/CampEa00.htm

Tribal Warfare
11-01-2006, 07:56 PM
LJ had 339 carries last year, with Green at the helm, with only 9 starts.
Cambell only had 3 seasons with more.

Your point isn't valid.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/CampEa00.htmand how many times with the same carries he had great running lanes due to Roaf leading the charge, and hence untouched. Campbell didn't have that, and yes my point is valid since LJ doesn't have to it by himself since he has Green and Gonzo backing him up. He won't see constantly being keyed on with a 8 or 9 man fronts. If the do that they'll get burned badly by Green, and unlike Huard DCs respect Green QBing abilities.

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 08:00 PM

That's the big worry for me. GMs love to draft big, strong running backs, but almost all of the best backs in NFL history were the ones who avoided the hits.

milkman
11-01-2006, 08:04 PM
and how many times with the same carries he had great running lanes due to Roaf leading the charge, and hence untouched. Campbell didn't have that, and yes my point is valid since LJ doesn't have to it by himself since he has Green and Gonzo backing him up. He won't see constantly being keyed on with a 8 or 9 man fronts. If the do that they'll get burned badly by Green, and unlike Huard DCs respect Green QBing abilities.

The fact still remains, if he carries the ball 330 times or more, he's going to take a lot of pounding, and that takes a toll on the body, regardless of the QB situation.

So, no, your point still isn't valid.

OldTownChief
11-01-2006, 08:10 PM
ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-01-2006, 08:12 PM
ROFL

Donger
11-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Man. That's one hairy beaver.

OldTownChief
11-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Man. That's one hairy beaver.

LMAO

Ebolapox
11-01-2006, 08:30 PM
ROFL... hamms... that's brilliant

Ebolapox
11-01-2006, 08:31 PM
I know this is a somewhat PC board--but removing that post by hamms... NTTAWWT

HemiEd
11-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I seem to remember Dan Pastorini having some pretty good years with the Oilers about that time. Probably not in Trent's class, but he was fun to watch.

milkman
11-01-2006, 09:09 PM
I seem to remember Dan Pastorini having some pretty good years with the Oilers about that time. Probably not in Trent's class, but he was fun to watch.

Pastorini was OK, but he never lived up to his draft status.

His big problem is that he was inclined to poor decision making.

boogblaster
11-01-2006, 09:13 PM
LJ reminds me more of a Chuck Munchie who played for the Bolts years ago..Also a back at Atlanta William Andrews..big bruising backs with speed....

HemiEd
11-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Pastorini was OK, but he never lived up to his draft status.

His big problem is that he was inclined to poor decision making.

Was Earl Campbell on the team when Warren Moon set the passing record against the Chiefs? I remember that "run and shoot", they carved us up for like 560 yards. It was very difficult to watch.

milkman
11-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Was Earl Campbell on the team when Warren Moon set the passing record against the Chiefs? I remember that "run and shoot", they carved us up for like 560 yards. It was very difficult to watch.

Campbell retired after the '83 season, Moon was signed in '84.

Tribal Warfare
11-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Warren Moon set the passing record against the Chiefs? I remember that "run and shoot", they carved us up for like 560 yards. It was very difficult to watch.

that was in 1991 , and therefore no dude

HemiEd
11-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Campbell retired after the '83 season, Moon was signed in '84.

I thought it was pretty close. Wasn't Bum Phillips the Coach?

that was in 1991 , and therefore no dude

I thought it happened before Marty, Neil and Derrick. Memory comes and goes.

milkman
11-01-2006, 09:29 PM
I thought it was pretty close. Wasn't Bum Phillips the Coach?.

Yeah, he was the HC for most of the Campbell era.

Thig Lyfe
11-01-2006, 11:29 PM
"My little fun for the year."

Hah.

Demonpenz
11-02-2006, 01:13 AM
That's the big worry for me. GMs love to draft big, strong running backs, but almost all of the best backs in NFL history were the ones who avoided the hits.

Walter peyton never went out of bounds and flat out knocked linebackers on their asses. Jerome bettis was a big back too.

trndobrd
11-02-2006, 07:37 AM

Campbell bounced back and forth between Houston and New Orleans his last few years, didn't he. Playing on artificial turf certainly didn't help him stay in the game.

I'm still not sure the fixation with comparing LJ to Campbell. LJ is big and physical, but not to the degree of Campbell. Campbell never had the speed of LJ, or the weapons around him. I am much more concerned about a game where LJ gets 28 carries and crushed every time he runs up the gut, than 39 times where he is getting the ball in space and breaking arm tackles.

FAX
11-02-2006, 07:46 AM
I don't get diapers. I give diapers.

FAX

Rausch
11-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Walter peyton never went out of bounds and flat out knocked linebackers on their asses. Jerome bettis was a big back too.

One of the top 5 most productive backs in NFL history.

Calcountry
11-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Yeah.
Those guys tried, and accomplished, to take hitting out of the equation.They would have been great if it were 2 hand touch.

Calcountry
11-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Walter peyton never went out of bounds and flat out knocked linebackers on their asses. Jerome bettis was a big back too.Between Walter, and Jim Brown, I believe LJ is more like Jim. He hates people that try to tackle him, he really trys to hurt them sumbitches. LJ is definitely a dark side of the force runner. I like that in a running back.

Walter, was SWEETNESS. He had style. He was tough, one of the toughest and most durable backs I have ever seen, but he had style points. Other than that, there is no difference between the two, both pure animals.

Calcountry
11-02-2006, 10:49 AM

But he was a 230 lb runner in the days of 260-270 lb linemen.He hurt them dudes too. They didn't want to tackle him.

Calcountry
11-02-2006, 10:51 AM
The fact still remains, if he carries the ball 330 times or more, he's going to take a lot of pounding, and that takes a toll on the body, regardless of the QB situation.

So, no, your point still isn't valid.He may not feel it today, when his body still has plenty of growth hormone repairing it, but he will wake up when he is 40 and wonder, "Where did that pain come from".

milkman
11-02-2006, 08:37 PM

That's true about Payton, but he also was elusive, as well.

He didn't take the pounding that LJ has been taking thus far.

Bettis, on the other hand, was a physical back that punished would be tacklers.
However, he only had three seasons in which carried the ball 300 times or more.