PDA

View Full Version : Eddie got his new contract

BigRock
11-02-2006, 02:45 AM
Was this reported before? I don't remember hearing about it.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15906578.htm

The Chiefs recently rewarded Kennison with the new contract he wanted since the end of last season. The key terms are incentives that will probably provide him with an extra $950,000 this season and about $1.5 million next year.

Then comes this part...

Next year’s money would come in the form of a roster bonus due in March. It also will force the Chiefs to think about how much they really want Kennison.

Coach Herm Edwards wouldn’t commit to Kennison for next season but the Chiefs have no other dependable wide receiver.

“He’s a very dependable guy,” Edwards said. “You can trust him. When Dante (Hall) was down, he went in there and caught punts and it wasn’t a problem. He knows what he’s supposed to do. He knows how to find the holes, especially in zones. He still had the speed to run by guys.”

Barring some major FA addition at WR, if they cut Eddie they're absolutely insane. Hell, if they do make a major addition at WR, they should still keep Eddie as the #2.

Tribal Warfare
11-02-2006, 02:51 AM
Jeff Samaria here we come

Flustrated
11-02-2006, 03:07 AM
Randy Moss!~ ROFL

Guru
11-02-2006, 03:15 AM
Randy Moss!~ ROFL
But....

Randy Moss makes you play better
Randy Moss makes your Offense better
Randy Moss makes your Defense better
Randy Moss will take you to a Super Bowl.
Randy moss will......

the Talking Can
11-02-2006, 06:12 AM
that's cool....interesting solution

jjjayb
11-02-2006, 06:37 AM
But....

Randy Moss makes you play better
Randy Moss makes your Offense better
Randy Moss makes your Defense better
Randy Moss will take you to a Super Bowl.
Randy moss will......

Heck with Randy Moss. We should get Rhonda Moss. She could would eat opposing defenses alive.

greg63
11-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Here comes the drop off in play making ability.

John_Wayne
11-02-2006, 06:54 AM
1. Keep Kennison
2. Let Parker walk
3. Sign or draft a #1 WR
4. Move up Rod Gardner to #3 WR
5. Move up Jeff Webb to #4 WR
6. Move down Dante to #5 WR

Kyle401
11-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Kennison is now making too much money to be a #2 WR.

John_Wayne
11-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Kennison is now making too much money to be a #2 WR. I too have thought of him as a #2 WR for the last few years. But, I think we fans need to start to realize that he really is a #1 WR. He's put up back to back 1000 yd seasons and he is having another good year. He's somewhat underrated. He's not and elite #1 WR, but he is as good as many other #1 WRs in the NFL. He deserves more respect from us.

bkkcoh
11-02-2006, 07:22 AM
I too have thought of him as a #2 WR for the last few years. But, I think we fans need to start to realize that he really is a #1 WR. He's put up back to back 1000 yd seasons and he is having another good year. He's somewhat underrated. He's not and elite #1 WR, but he is as good as many other #1 WRs in the NFL. He deserves more respect from us.

EK usually gets the job done and I agree, initially he did seem like a #2, but he has performed as a #1 WR. :toast: Not too bad for a quitter....

Kyle401
11-02-2006, 07:23 AM
I too have thought of him as a #2 WR for the last few years. But, I think we fans need to start to realize that he really is a #1 WR. He's put up back to back 1000 yd seasons and he is having another good year. He's somewhat underrated. He's not and elite #1 WR, but he is as good as many other #1 WRs in the NFL. He deserves more respect from us.

In your previous post (#8), you advocate signing or drafting a #1 WR. In order to do this, we would likely have to opt out on Kennison's roster bonus. It's unlikely that the Chiefs are going to pay #1 money to 2 WR's.

NJ Chief Fan
11-02-2006, 07:24 AM
i honestly believe he is a top 15 wr maybe even top 10. hes like wine, gets better with age

bkkcoh
11-02-2006, 07:29 AM
In your previous post (#8), you advocate signing or drafting a #1 WR. In order to do this, we would likely have to opt out on Kennison's roster bonus. It's unlikely that the Chiefs are going to pay #1 money to 2 WR's.

Wouldn't that depend on how the contract is done, if there is more money on the back-end, but a decent signing bonus. I think they would be able to co-exist and the draft choice would be able to learn from EK also. I would only think that would be a nice benefit.

But, I really don't think the Chiefs will be drafting a WR in the 1st round unless there is someone that is absolutely lights-out. I can't see a top WR falling that far in the draft because I see the Chiefs drafting at or later then they did last year.

htismaqe
11-02-2006, 07:54 AM
They won't get rid of Eddie. They're just being creative...

StcChief
11-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Seems good. Depending on incentives that was the right move Carl.

Kerberos
11-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Good News on EK

Now get down to BRASS TAX and get Gonzo' contract DONE...

Dammit Carl ... :cuss:

dtebbe
11-02-2006, 08:27 AM
He's still a steal at that price. The guy has bee a solid producer, and the only real big play threat we have at WR.

And you've just gotta love it every time he drops a big play on the donkeys.

DT

DaFace
11-02-2006, 08:32 AM
I'm perplexed by the line about Herm "not committing" to Eddie. I don't really know what that means. It's not a quote from Herm or anything, just a statement. I can't imagine Herm actually considering cutting Eddie. :shrug:

Brock
11-02-2006, 08:33 AM

Possibly depends on whether they decide to keep Gonzalez around or not.

Kyle401
11-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Possibly depends on whether they decide to keep Gonzalez around or not.

I suppose if Gonzo is gone it's possible... But, I think Tony will retire in red and gold.

boogblaster
11-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Hope both stay if not there goes the O.. cant win with running only .....

noa
11-02-2006, 08:59 AM
I like how EK worked this out. He only made a little noise in the preseason, made his point, and then acted like a professional and prepared for the season. This wasn't a distraction at all and we rewarded him for it. I hope TonyG learns from this, but his agent is Tom Condon so I'm skeptical.

Fish
11-02-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm perplexed by the line about Herm "not committing" to Eddie. I don't really know what that means. It's not a quote from Herm or anything, just a statement. I can't imagine Herm actually considering cutting Eddie. :shrug:

I agree. This sounds uncharacteristic of Herm. Somethin fishy here....

FAX
11-02-2006, 09:07 AM
I approve of the fact that Herm seems to want to put the best players on the field. Why would he commit to EK at this point?

I'm glad Eddie got his deal done, though. All he does is put up 1000 plus yards a year. He's made some money plays this season, as usual.

FAX

Mr. Laz
11-02-2006, 09:16 AM
1. Keep Kennison
2. Let Parker walk
3. Sign or draft a #1 WR

1. Keep Kennison
2. Keep Parker (he's still cheap)
3. Sign or draft a #1 WR
4. Rod Gardner
5. Jeff Webb
6. Dante

let all of them fight it out to see who gets time. No reason i can see to commit to cutting someone until you have to.

i think Dante is on borrowed time myself. I believe that Edwards is gonna want bigger wide receivers going forward, and if Hall slips anymore at returning kicks he's gone.

recxjake
11-02-2006, 09:55 AM
The weird thing about Eddie is that he keeps on getting better!

cdcox
11-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Kennison is now making too much money to be a #2 WR.

An extra million or so doesn't make his pay anywhere near elite #1 money. The pay is fair without being outrageous.

Bob Dole
11-02-2006, 10:03 AM
i think Dante is on borrowed time myself. I believe that Edwards is gonna want bigger wide receivers going forward, and if Hall slips anymore at returning kicks he's gone.

Yeah. It really sucks having the guy with only 1 return for TD and the 5th best punt return average in the league. Let's cut his ass now and move on.

Mr. Laz
11-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Yeah. It really sucks having the guy with only 1 return for TD and the 5th best punt return average in the league. Let's cut his ass now and move on.
talk about a "selective" response

wutamess
11-02-2006, 10:09 AM
1. Keep Kennison
2. Let Parker walk
3. Sign or draft a #1 WR

This is the best thing I've ever read from you.
:thumb:

John_Wayne
11-02-2006, 10:12 AM
In your previous post (#8), you advocate signing or drafting a #1 WR. In order to do this, we would likely have to opt out on Kennison's roster bonus. It's unlikely that the Chiefs are going to pay #1 money to 2 WR's. Although he got a new contract, I don't think he's being paid like an elite #1 WR. If we draft a #1 WR, we'll have the money in the salary cap available. We have to allot that much money for our #1 draft pick no matter what position we draft. So, it will work out. Also, it would be nice if Rod Gardner would develop into something. He has all of the "measureables". He was a 1st round pick, right?

vailpass
11-02-2006, 10:22 AM
i honestly believe he is a top 15 wr maybe even top 10. hes like wine, gets better with age

Would you take EK over any of the WRs listed below? Over 8 of them (if EK is top 15)? )Over 13 of them (if EK is top 10)?

Johnson, Andre WR HOU
Wayne, Reggie WR IND
Smith, Steve WR CAR
Boldin, Anquan WR ARI
Coles, Laveranues WR NYJ
Jackson, Darrell WR SEA
Williams, Roy WR DET
Colston, Marques WR NO
Holt, Torry WR STL
Harrison, Marvin WR IND
Walker, Javon WR DEN
Burress, Plaxico WR NYG
Horn, Joe WR NO
Brown, Reggie WR PHI
Bruce, Isaac WR STL
Berrian, Bernard WR CHI
Driver, Donald WR GB
Owens, Terrell WR DAL
Johnson, Keyshawn WR CAR
Bryant, Antonio WR SF
Cotchery, Jerricho WR NYJ
Ward, Hines WR PIT
Fitzgerald, Larry WR AZ

Kerberos
11-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Would you take EK over any of the WRs listed below? Over 8 of them (if EK is top 15)? )Over 13 of them (if EK is top 10)?

Owens, Terrell WR DAL
Johnson, Keyshawn WR CAR

You can have both of these as I would take EK over both of them.

Brock
11-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Horn, Joe WR NO
Brown, Reggie WR PHI
Bruce, Isaac WR STL
Berrian, Bernard WR CHI
Driver, Donald WR GB
Owens, Terrell WR DAL
Johnson, Keyshawn WR CAR
Bryant, Antonio WR SF
Cotchery, Jerricho WR NYJ

I'd take him over these guys for sure.

htismaqe
11-02-2006, 10:30 AM

no - Johnson, Andre WR HOU
no - Wayne, Reggie WR IND
no - Smith, Steve WR CAR
no - Boldin, Anquan WR ARI
no - Coles, Laveranues WR NYJ
yes - Jackson, Darrell WR SEA
no - Williams, Roy WR DET
yes - Colston, Marques WR NO
no - Holt, Torry WR STL
no - Harrison, Marvin WR IND
no - Walker, Javon WR DEN
no - Burress, Plaxico WR NYG
yes - Horn, Joe WR NO
yes - Brown, Reggie WR PHI
yes - Bruce, Isaac WR STL
no - Berrian, Bernard WR CHI
no - Driver, Donald WR GB
yes - Owens, Terrell WR DAL
yes - Johnson, Keyshawn WR CAR
yes - Bryant, Antonio WR SF
yes - Cotchery, Jerricho WR NYJ
no - Ward, Hines WR PIT
no - Fitzgerald, Larry WR AZ

Nice...that's what I get for trying to cut and paste...

vailpass
11-02-2006, 10:44 AM
no - Johnson, Andre WR HOU
no - Wayne, Reggie WR IND
no - Smith, Steve WR CAR
no - Boldin, Anquan WR ARI
no - Coles, Laveranues WR NYJ
yes - Jackson, Darrell WR SEA
no - Williams, Roy WR DET
yes - Colston, Marques WR NO
no - Holt, Torry WR STL
no - Harrison, Marvin WR IND
no - Walker, Javon WR DEN
no - Burress, Plaxico WR NYG
yes - Horn, Joe WR NO
yes - Brown, Reggie WR PHI
yes - Bruce, Isaac WR STL
no - Berrian, Bernard WR CHI
no - Driver, Donald WR GB
yes - Owens, Terrell WR DAL
yes - Johnson, Keyshawn WR CAR
yes - Bryant, Antonio WR SF
yes - Cotchery, Jerricho WR NYJ
no - Ward, Hines WR PIT
no - Fitzgerald, Larry WR AZ

Nice...that's what I get for trying to cut and paste...

Interesting. How about:

Johnson, Chad WR CIN
Moss, Santana WR WAS
Furrey, Mike WR DET
Glenn, Terry WR Dallas
Evans, Lee WR BUF
Houshmandzadeh, T.J. WR CIN

PastorMikH
11-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Here comes the drop off in play making ability.

This the "Edwards won't commit to him for next season" bit.

;)

htismaqe
11-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Interesting. How about:

no - Johnson, Chad WR CIN
no - Moss, Santana WR WAS
yes - Furrey, Mike WR DET
no - Glenn, Terry WR Dallas
yes - Evans, Lee WR BUF
no - Houshmandzadeh, T.J. WR CIN

vailpass
11-02-2006, 11:05 AM
no - Johnson, Chad WR CIN
no - Moss, Santana WR WAS
yes - Furrey, Mike WR DET
no - Glenn, Terry WR Dallas
yes - Evans, Lee WR BUF
no - Houshmandzadeh, T.J. WR CIN

The WRs I listed are those ranked ahead of EK on the Sportsline FF site in receiving yards (Gonzo was also ranked ahead of EK). NJ Chiefs Fan's statement about EK being a top 15 or top 10 back made me curious to see who you guys would/wouldn't take over EK.

FWIW with one or two exceptions I agree with your evaluations.

greg63
11-02-2006, 11:43 PM
This the "Edwards won't commit to him for next season" bit.

;)

Yep.

Halfcan
11-03-2006, 12:00 AM
EK will retire a Chief IMO.

Skip Towne
11-03-2006, 06:54 AM
Might as well cut him. He just hasn't been the same since Blaylock left.