View Full Version : Richard Nixon would be so proud of Shawne

Mr. Laz
11-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Merriman insists he's 'not a cheater'

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/1429/coverclipdontknowmuchko4.jpg

By Kevin Acee
STAFF WRITER

November 2, 2006

It was time to look ahead yesterday, as the Chargers try to figure out what to do for four games without Shawne Merriman.

Merriman spoke to the media in the morning, addressed his teammates afterward and then walked away from the Chargers' facility, the last time he will be there until Nov. 27.

I'm not a cheater, said Merriman, who tested positive for the steroid nandrolone in August and dropped the appeal of his suspension Tuesday. I don't believe in cheating the game, I don't condone cheating the game and I have no reason to cheat the game. I'm about playing football, and I'm a great football player. I will continue to go out and prove that. Maybe over time people will see I'm a terrific football player and a terrific person, that I don't condone cheating. I will go out and be the best player possible and be known as one of the best to ever play.

Merriman reiterated yesterday that nandrolone got in his body because of his taking a tainted over-the-counter supplement. He said he had taken the supplement for 18 months and tested clean numerous times.

He has not identified the manufacturer, but said the FDA is investigating the company. Merriman's advisers also have been in contact with several lawmakers who are pushing for stricter regulation of the supplement industry.

The Chargers will try to replace Merriman, who is tied for the NFL lead with 8 sacks, primarily with Carlos Polk. However, the rotation at outside linebacker largely depends on the health of Shaun Phillips.

Phillips, who strained his calf Oct. 22, did not practice yesterday and is listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the Cleveland Browns. Marques Harris played in his place last week and would start there again if Phillips is unable to go.

Also listed as questionable and missing practice yesterday was defensive end Igor Olshansky, who has missed the past two games after knee surgery.

noa
11-02-2006, 09:36 AM
"I have no reason to cheat the game," and yet somehow Merriman did it anyway. Just say sorry and shut up. Don't tell us how great of a person you "really" are.

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Luis Castillo today gave his whole-hearted support to Merriman. Then he went into a rage and destroyed a small Chinese-run grocery store.

OnTheWarpath58
11-02-2006, 09:53 AM
I don't believe in cheating the game, I don't condone cheating the game and I have no reason to cheat the game.

Then why did you cheat, jackass?

LIGHTS OUT!

Mr. Laz
11-06-2006, 12:51 PM
MERRIMAN UPDATE

Chris Mortensen of ESPN offered up on Sunday morning some interesting tidbits regarding Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman, who'll commence his four-game suspension today, missing the team's home game against the Browns.

Per Mortensen, Merriman has been urged by the NFLPA to submit the supposedly tainted supplement he consumed for testing.

But Merriman says he can't find the bottle.

Perhaps more telling is the refusal of Merriman to identify the manufacturer. Earlier this week, Merriman said that he couldn't do so because of pending litigation. In our view, he's not naming the manufacturer because the pending litigation could be against him, if he incorrectly proclaims to the world that a company that is in the business of selling supplements has been putting nandrolone-laced product on the shelves.

Defamation claims are not limited to individuals about whom lies are told. If someone spreads untrue facts about a company and, in so doing, causes the company to lose money, the person who tells the tales is responsible for the financial harm, and possibly other damages.

So if Merriman can't find the bottle of the supplement he took, how in the hell can he prove that he even took it? Does he have the receipt? (That reminds us of the late Mitch Hedberg's bit about being offered a receipt upon buying a donut.)

Our guess? Merriman plans no action against the manufacturer, and the vague sword rattling regarding a lawsuit generally is aimed at getting folks in the media to presume that he didn't intentionally take steroids.

Oh and if that's the strategy, it's generally working.

StcChief
11-06-2006, 12:53 PM
and Bill Clinton didn't cheat on his wife, He didn't have sex with that woman.

vailpass
11-06-2006, 12:53 PM
He should have just taken his lumps like Welbourn. And then if he decided he wanted to hit the roids a second time he could take his lumps again.

HemiEd
11-06-2006, 01:43 PM
He should have just taken his lumps like Welbourn. And then if he decided he wanted to hit the roids a second time he could take his lumps again.

Welbourn did all of that as an Eagle, KC players are not cheaters.

Bill Parcells
11-06-2006, 01:48 PM
We need G.Gordon Liddy and his investigative team to get to work on this matter!!!

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/5815/liddygirls2gh.jpg