PDA

View Full Version : Q/A with Herm 11/2 (A prominent member of the team injured today!)

KCChiefsFan88
11-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Herm is injured!

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/11/02/qa_with_herm_edwards__112/

Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - 11/2
Nov 02, 2006, 2:57:22 PM

HERM EDWARDS: ďTrent Green practiced today, did seven-on-seven, but obviously is still out this week.Ē

Q: Nobody was hurt today?

EDWARDS: ďI kinda hurt my foot but I donít count. Iím probable. (laughs) No one was hurt.Ē

Q: Everybody talks about how well Damon Huard is playing but when Trent is ready heís going to be your starter. Taking them out of the equation, what is your philosophy regarding a player getting his job back when he returns from injury? Is it different for different positions?

EDWARDS: ďItís different at times. Iíve done it a lot of different ways but I donít think a guy loses his starting job due to injury. I donít believe in that. I believe you let the guy try to work his way back into the lineup other than the quarterback. The quarterback is a little bit different.Ē

Q: Why is the quarterback different?

EDWARDS: ďFirst of all, he is the pilot of the plane. You understand that different quarterbacks bring different mindsets to your football team. Trent is not only a very good quarterback, but he is a very good leader. Thatís one thing you like in your quarterbacks: the ability to lead in the huddle. Heís been that type of player here along with all his credentials of playing quarterback in this system. Thatís not saying Damon hasnít done a good job. As we all know, Damonís done a great job. Itís good to see that. Without his play right now we probably wouldnít have the record we have.

ďBut I think you look at every position a little bit different. This one just happens to be the quarterback and thatís one of talk and controversy and itís always one in our league that itís a controversy and that the second is always better than the first, especially when he doesnít play.

ďBut then all of a sudden when he plays and plays pretty good it really becomes exciting. It becomes a juicy story. But both guys understand Ė Damon understands his role and has done a good job and will continue to have to play well for us going on the road playing in a loud stadium and playing against a very fast defense. So, our work is cut out for us.Ē

Q: Has Damon had to continue to get any kind of treatment or is he just gone back to practicing as he has before?

EDWARDS: ďHe and about 50 other guys are constantly getting treatment on something.Ē

Q: Have you thought about bringing Trent back at home or away or does it matter?

EDWARDS: ďI donít know. Weíll just sort of wait and itíll be a surprise. First of all heís got to get cleared. That has something to do with it too. You generally like to bring a quarterback back in a home venue. Damonís first start had to be on the road. Generally you like to bring a guy back when youíre at home. Thatís generally a little more comfortable for a guy, but Trentís played a lot of football games. When he comes back heíll come back.Ē

Q: What do you know about the Governorís Cup?

EDWARDS: ďI know itís a big cup and was sitting out in the front (lobby). At first it was brought to my attention that it was done in the preseason, but it goes for the regular season too. We have the Cup and we have to try and keep the Cup. I know Lamar (Hunt) likes that. Heís a traditional guy and itís kind of unique to have something like that, like in college football and (winning the) Jug and all that other stuff. I know at Cal it was the Axe and we were always trying to take the Axe away from Stanford. We took the Axe away a lot. Now itís the Governorís Cup.Ē

siberian khatru
11-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Are we sure that wasn't really LJ pretending to be Herm, and admitting that he hurt his foot? WE'RE DOOMED.

Iowanian
11-02-2006, 02:11 PM
I've been thinking about something regarding Green.

As bad as its been that he was injured, even with as well as Huard has done in his absense, this much time off might have a benefit in the long stretch of the season.....Green being out, he's rested his body, and he should have a very fresh-live arm for the remainder of the season.

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 02:13 PM

As bad as its been that he was injured, even with as well as Huard has done in his absense, this much time off might have a benefit in the long stretch of the season.....Green being out, he's rested his body, and he should have a very fresh-live arm for the remainder of the season.

Or he's forgotten everything he knew about the offense because that hit erased it.

I hear they are loading his brain with the playbook just like they did to Keanu in "The Matirx".

NewChief
11-02-2006, 02:16 PM

Yeah, that's true. The only problem is that, as most of us know, Trent has traditionally been a slow starter. That being said, he might have been a slow starter as much from the receivers being slow starters as him (in other words, the supporting cast started off slow as well, but it appeared that he was the slow one more than the others). Anyway, hopefully he comes back and immediately lights it up.

Iowanian
11-02-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm reasoned enough not to expect him to come back and be very, very sharp. I can't imagine there won't be a little rust, however he should have a very good grasp of the playbook and while he might not physically be in great shape due to the layoff....I'd think a couple of weeks of practice would get his timing back.

CHENZ A!
11-02-2006, 03:53 PM
I hope that Trent doesn't lose his scrambling ability altogether when he comes back. He has made some very important plays with his legs over the yrs. I just hope he's not too quick to throw it away now. Noone would ever call the guy fast, but is very elusive.

dtebbe
11-02-2006, 04:52 PM
I hope that Trent doesn't lose his scrambling ability altogether when he comes back. He has made some very important plays with his legs over the yrs. I just hope he's not too quick to throw it away now. Noone would ever call the guy fast, but is very elusive.

Well he knows for sure he can't count on the NFL or the officials to protect him when he slides, so I don't expect him to be nearly as effective running.

DT

penchief
11-02-2006, 05:51 PM
....gotta keep the cup!

milkman
11-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Yeah, that's true. The only problem is that, as most of us know, Trent has traditionally been a slow starter. That being said, he might have been a slow starter as much from the receivers being slow starters as him (in other words, the supporting cast started off slow as well, but it appeared that he was the slow one more than the others). Anyway, hopefully he comes back and immediately lights it up.

The receivers are not running the same timing routes now, that they have in the past with Green at the helm, so they are still in the equation as far as the slow starts are concerned.

The Chiefs, under Dick, didn't give Trent and the first string offense a lot of snaps in preseason, so it took some time at the start of the season to get that timing down on those routes.