PDA

View Full Version : AP: Chiefs lineman happy to be back (Welbourn)

DaFace
11-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Chiefs lineman happy to be back
BY DOUG TUCKER
Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Back from his second suspension in two years, there is a great deal that John Welbourn does not want to talk about.

After stiff-arming reporters for a week since he rejoined the Kansas City Chiefs, Welbourn answered "no comment" Thursday to all questions concerning his retirement, unretirement and subsequent six-game suspension.

Welbourn is now working out daily with the Chiefs, playing mostly at backup left tackle. He is only 30 and could have several years left on what's been a productive career if the Chiefs decide to reinstate him. They have another week to make up their mind.

"This is going to go around and around in circles," Welbourn said when a throng of media representatives kept peppering him with suspension-related questions and he kept replying with no comment.

"I just don't want to be a distraction to the team," he said. "I want to come back and be a contributor."

After being suspended four games at the start of the 2005 season for violation of NFL drug policy, Welbourn started nine games and played well. He was suspended the first six games this year for another league policy violation.

In June, he announced his retirement and plans to go to law school. After he was suspended, he applied for reinstatement.

"I'm excited to play some football," he said. "I hope the coaches make a good decision, but I feel pretty good."

So why retire in the first place?

"I think sometimes you make decisions you may regret later on," he said. "But football's always been fun, always been a good time, and you definitely miss playing if you're not playing."

No one doubted Welbourn's long-range goal of law school. He has a degree in rhetoric from Cal-Berkeley and is respected by teammates for a high degree of intelligence. There has been no sign of resentment toward a player who was never a problem or a troublemaker.

"The guys have been incredible. The coaches have been great. I felt very fortunate, very blessed that people have treated me the way they have," he said. "Everybody's excited to see me. Hopefully, I can come back and still contribute."

He said he worked out diligently while out of the game, and that his 9-to-5 job in the insurance business lost its luster rather quickly.

"It's definitely an interesting thing when you get up at 5 in the morning, lift weights from 6 to 8, are at the office by 9, sit in the office 'til 6 or 7 o'clock at night working, then you go home, make dinner. It's like everybody else, a normal Joe driving to work. And you start realizing that playing football is a great gift and it's an incredible opportunity and if you can still do it..."

Being out for a while provided a fresh perspective, he said.

"Stepping out and seeing (football) from the outside looking in has been an enlightening thing," he said. "It's something I think everybody should have to do."

Redrum_69
11-03-2006, 09:57 AM
"This is going to go around and around in circles," Welbourn said when a throng of media representatives kept peppering him with suspension-related questions and he kept replying with no comment."

Yeah, 610 played the audio from Rhonda Moss asking him several times if the retirement had anything to do with the suspension last night on the way home.

Am I the only one that finds Rhonda annoying as hell?

StcChief
11-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Attitude adjustment, not taking it for granted.

Some of the 'mouths' in the league ought to run a garbage truck in the off season.. put a fresh perspective on how lucky the have it to play in NFL.

chiefsfan1963
11-03-2006, 10:01 AM
so he's active for Sunday?

DaFace
11-03-2006, 10:03 AM

She's got her own doll out now:

http://www.morethings.com/fan/south_park/photo_gallery/crabtree_doll.jpg

Warrior5
11-03-2006, 10:08 AM

no.

Rain Man
11-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Did you bring Willie with you, John?

Fish
11-03-2006, 10:13 AM
So why retire in the first place?

"I think sometimes you make decisions you may regret later on," he said.

Uhhh huh.....

phisherman
11-03-2006, 10:25 AM
no, you're not the only one..

it seems to me that she asks questions intentionally to stir the pot...i find myself usually more upset after hearing her talk on the radio

bp

58-4ever
11-03-2006, 10:26 AM
You mean selling insurance isn't as fun as playing right tackle in the NFL? Son of a bitch!

CoMoChief
11-03-2006, 10:34 AM
I wonder if there are any updates on Priest?

vailpass
11-03-2006, 10:47 AM
You mean selling insurance isn't as fun as playing right tackle in the NFL? Son of a bitch!
LMAO

boogblaster
11-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Well he should count his blessings..lots of good talent is sent home every year never to be heard of again.....

R&GHomer
11-03-2006, 02:13 PM
"This is going to go around and around in circles," Welbourn said when a throng of media representatives kept peppering him with suspension-related questions and he kept replying with no comment."

Yeah, 610 played the audio from Rhonda Moss asking him several times if the retirement had anything to do with the suspension last night on the way home.

Nope I can't stand that ditch pig. Most of the time I just change the station when she comes on.

Easy 6
11-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Attitude adjustment, not taking it for granted.

Some of the 'mouths' in the league ought to run a garbage truck in the off season.. put a fresh perspective on how lucky the have it to play in NFL.
Exactly. You know there would be a LOT less bitching & moaning. I'm just real happy to have him back clean & re-focused, same thing for Chris Terry...all of a sudden we have some viable options at backup.