PDA

View Full Version : Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.

Molitoth
11-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Calling all beta testers. Can we get some of your thoughts/opinions/reviews?

kcxiv
11-04-2006, 01:02 AM
So far it seems ok, but you need a supercomputer to run it. Graphics are pretty damn nice, you will get stuck just staring at the sky its so damn impressive.

listopencil
11-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Beta testers are not allowed to discuss the game. Beta testers are not allowed to identify themselves. You have been warned.

Basileus777
11-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Beta testers are not allowed to discuss the game. Beta testers are not allowed to identify themselves. You have been warned.

:harumph: Who cares about non-disclosure agreements?

kcxiv
11-05-2006, 12:44 AM
who ever said i was in beta? Maybe i know someone in beta, or maybe i have someone's beta info? hmm.... or maybe i dont even have acess to it at all.

Molitoth
01-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Its out soon, who's buying?

I'm playing now and I think its the only game thats going to keep me away from EQ.

SWG didn't
WoW didn't
DaoC didn't
EQ2 didn't

Basically Vanguard is what EQ1 should have become after they sold to SOE.

wilas101
01-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Basically Vanguard is what EQ1 should have become after they sold to SOE.

This is one of those games that I've been watching with curiosity. There has been nothing like EQ1. I've played anarchy online, daoc, wow, D&D online, swg, ww2 online, eq2 just to name a few and none of them grabbed me like eq1. To hear that vanguard is the next step from eq1 is really exciting but also makes me want to avoid it just to stay clear of the timesink that EQ1 was.

For what its worth though I think I've learned a little bit since then and won't let myself get sucked in quite like I did with eq. My wife certainly won't let me. Hell, I can't even get her to shut up long enough for me to play oblivion now. An mmo is probably completely out of the question. :)

ChiefFripp
01-19-2007, 11:56 AM
And you think WoW has laggy servers? Vanguard will run like crap on moderately populated servers, even with a decent rig.

Redrum_69
01-19-2007, 01:43 PM
I played on Everquest for over 5 freakin years

Vallon Zek

then Brell Serellis

Redrum_69
01-19-2007, 01:48 PM
During that five years I played DAOC, Shadowbane, Planetside, and the only game that really turned into a timesink was WOW. I was a griefer in DAOC by staying on noob island forever, training mobs of ogres from the stockade onto parties already fighting other mobs. Since you could loot everyones corpse, most people did run back and forth to bank...needless to say I made enough on noob island to support a city of my own.

When the fabled gear came out in Everquest, I sat in the bottom of that froglok cavern...waiting for the Fabled Flowing Black Silk Sash to drop for over 36 hours. I'll never forget that loser moment. Friday night I made it down there with my barbarian warrior, was #29 on the list..and waited all friday night...saturday...saturday night...and finally Sunday morning around 6:00am it finally dropped.

TrickyNicky
01-19-2007, 03:00 PM
I played EQ from '99 to 2002 on the E'Ci Server, then Zebuxurok (sp?). Luclin ruined it, ****ing cats in space...

Now when I get the itch, I play on Shards of Dalaya which is basically free EQ1 tweaked (for the better, IMO) with different mob sets in areas and different level ranges.

I'm never going to pay for an online game again though.

wilas101
01-19-2007, 03:25 PM
I played on 7th hammer for about 5 years. Tried everything else at times but always went back just because thats where everyone I knew was.

I'm sure I'll end up paying to play something else one of these days. Doesn't really bother me to do it as long as its entertaining.

Valiant
01-20-2007, 02:17 AM
During that five years I played DAOC, Shadowbane, Planetside, and the only game that really turned into a timesink was WOW. I was a griefer in DAOC by staying on noob island forever, training mobs of ogres from the stockade onto parties already fighting other mobs. Since you could loot everyones corpse, most people did run back and forth to bank...needless to say I made enough on noob island to support a city of my own.

When the fabled gear came out in Everquest, I sat in the bottom of that froglok cavern...waiting for the Fabled Flowing Black Silk Sash to drop for over 36 hours. I'll never forget that loser moment. Friday night I made it down there with my barbarian warrior, was #29 on the list..and waited all friday night...saturday...saturday night...and finally Sunday morning around 6:00am it finally dropped.

Assume you meant Shadowbane when being a griefer.. When I played our whole guild griefed, we were all rogues and never made our own city just destroyed others...

kcxiv
01-20-2007, 02:43 AM
I played on Everquest for over 5 freakin years

Vallon Zek

then Brell Serellis
I still play EQ. Bertoxxulous baby! lol To me is still the best MMO out there. I tried a few others, and i just cannot get into it like i can EQ.

I got quite a few old EQ friends that are going to form a guild in Vanguard they are looking for folks. They will be pretty hardcore though. http://www.virusguild.net/forums/ thats their website if anyone is going to play. Just tell em kcxiv sent ya. I may play on release. I am not sure yet. If not in a few months i will.

SCChief
01-21-2007, 06:01 PM
I played on 7th hammer for about 5 years. Tried everything else at times but always went back just because thats where everyone I knew was.

I'm sure I'll end up paying to play something else one of these days. Doesn't really bother me to do it as long as its entertaining.

7th Hammer, huh? That's the server I played on when I played EQ1.

Vanguard looks intriguing. But at the moment, I am thoroughly enjoying a combination of DDO (a ton of soloable content) and WoW. And I am still watching Middle Earth Online to see how that is going to pan out.

wilas101
01-22-2007, 12:47 PM
7th Hammer, huh? That's the server I played on when I played EQ1.

Vanguard looks intriguing. But at the moment, I am thoroughly enjoying a combination of DDO (a ton of soloable content) and WoW. And I am still watching Middle Earth Online to see how that is going to pan out.

yeah, played a gnome rogue named Finbika on 7th.

I tried DDO but had a hard time solo'ing. Everything I saw in it made it very unfriendly toward the solo player.

or I just sucked at it. lol

SCChief
01-22-2007, 05:11 PM
yeah, played a gnome rogue named Finbika on 7th.

I tried DDO but had a hard time solo'ing. Everything I saw in it made it very unfriendly toward the solo player.

or I just sucked at it. lol

Dark elf Wizard named Derassa on 7th. Used to run a guild named Emerald Flame.

My DDO character is a 5/1 Ranger/Rogue. Pretty self-sufficient in the fact that Rangers and Paladins can use healing wands. Hehe. But I have always been good at stealth games.

kaplin42
01-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Meh, who would have thought so many MMOers on the planet. I play DDO too, im on the Mabaar server. Although, I will be switching to Vanguard when it comes out, unless I absolutely hate it.

KcMizzou
01-22-2007, 06:30 PM
A buddy of mine is playing Vanguard. It does look pretty cool, but between the expantion and the time I've already invested, I'll be sticking to WoW.

I'll make a character on his account after release. One monthly fee is plenty, I think.

wilas101
01-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Dark elf Wizard named Derassa on 7th. Used to run a guild named Emerald Flame.

My DDO character is a 5/1 Ranger/Rogue. Pretty self-sufficient in the fact that Rangers and Paladins can use healing wands. Hehe. But I have always been good at stealth games.

emerald flame?

I'm trying to remember the tie in there. I was in Convergence from the day it started until it collapsed. I know there were EF members there but I'm trying to remember who they were.

Did you guys have a guy that played a couple different toons... druid named Calian and a bard named Gelad?

Also, I seem to recall an Erudite SK that was a former EF member that came to Convergence but I can't remember his friggin name to save me.

SCChief
01-23-2007, 05:53 PM
emerald flame?

I'm trying to remember the tie in there. I was in Convergence from the day it started until it collapsed. I know there were EF members there but I'm trying to remember who they were.

Did you guys have a guy that played a couple different toons... druid named Calian and a bard named Gelad?

Also, I seem to recall an Erudite SK that was a former EF member that came to Convergence but I can't remember his friggin name to save me.

Yes, I believe so. Name sounds familiar. And I know that we lost several members to Convergence, as well as several to Forged Souls (we raided quite a bit, but not hard-core... more of a family guild). My EQ years were a lot of fun, and as far as socializing, I haven't found that level of maturity and socialization in any of the games I have played since. But I do not miss the long lines waiting for raid targets and such. Not one bit. I still remember my epic *twitch*.

After hearing some discussion among old friends, I have decided to try Vanguard.

wilas101
01-24-2007, 09:35 AM
rofl. I had it easy with my epic as a rogue.

I am still on the fence about vanguard. I woudln't mind trying it but I know how I am with MMOs anymore.

Who am I kidding though? I'll end up seeing it on the shelf and I'll start shaking until I get it. It'll be great for a week or a month then baseball season will start and I'll never touch it again.

Fezzic
01-24-2007, 11:32 AM
wow, wilas...small world. I was a gnome enchanter named Faspus that joined Convergence about a year before the merge into Lunacy Unbound...leveled up from scratch with some of those guys after getting sick and tired of pvp on Vallon Zek (only took 3+ years) :)

Convergence was a lot of fun, and some of my best times in EQ were getting schooled in the art o' chantin by Idazen and getting killed over and over trying shit with Scrab. Good stuff!

wilas101
01-24-2007, 04:19 PM
I remember you dude. How's it going?

You missed the bbq o' geeks here a couple years back. :)

Molitoth
01-25-2007, 12:30 PM
I played EQ for a long ass time in a powerguild on Tribunal.

I've joined up with Blades of Wrath (Torv) for Vanguard on the Shidreth server... if you guys pick that server, see you there.

My name will be Molitoth.

wilas101
01-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Is this another guild of power gamers you're in?

I'm too lazy and/or unmotivated for such things. :)

Redrum_69
01-25-2007, 01:59 PM
What are some race/class combinations in Vanguard?

Everquest was by far the best mmorpg...it allowed griefing on many different scales. Even when I joined in November 2000, it had been going strong for a year or so and alot of the bugs/cheats were gone. Shortly after I joined, they got rid of the SK bug where you could harmtouch (i think thats what its called) then die and run back and do it again.

Sometimes I'd like to go back to playing EQ again, but then I think about the hours and hours that I would dump on it...that and the wife said she would divorce me.

wilas101
01-25-2007, 02:40 PM
EQ was the best. I miss playing it at times but mostly I just miss being awed by it like I was at first.

and I really hate the time sink part of all MMOs but I can justify playing them with my son as we're spending valuable father/son time together.

We were playing WW2 online. Some guys play football with their sons but we prefer killing the French.

Redrum_69
01-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Some guys play football with their sons but we prefer killing the French.

Are you German too?

wilas101
01-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Am I german in real life? :shrug:

I'm just me.

German in the game? Yeah. We played as Nazi's just so I could kill frenchmen.

Redrum_69
01-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Am I german in real life? :shrug:

I'm just me.

German in the game? Yeah. We played as Nazi's just so I could kill frenchmen.

Not in real life, i meant in game, sorry for not making that clear.

I played german side in return to castle wolfenstein....that game was classic griefing fun online

wilas101
01-25-2007, 04:10 PM
ah.. yeah. ended up playing German just because it said they were outnumbered when I logged in the first time.

Far be it from me to ensure the end of the Reich so I enlisted, they gave me a rifle and a couple grenades and sent me off to fight.

Killed a frenchman about 3 days later (I never was very good at first person shooters) and the rest was history.

I spent the next month looking for frenchmen. Didn't care if the british were looting Berlin I was waiting for a frenchman to show his face.

There was just something so gratifying about getting a good sight picture on one, squeezing the trigger and hearing the report of the round followed by a "le ouch!"

or some facsimile of that. whatever it is those dirty frenchmen say when they get shot.

kcxiv
01-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Anyone in game yet? its almost done downloading for me, then i should be playing later this evening i hope. downloading 22 gigs with a DSL takes a while. The download servers are being hammered so their bandwidth kind of sucks right now.

ChiefFripp
01-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Anyone in game yet? its almost done downloading for me, then i should be playing later this evening i hope. downloading 22 gigs with a DSL takes a while. The download servers are being hammered so their bandwidth kind of sucks right now.
Tell me the recommended system requirements and I may pick this game up tonight. I'm already bored of Burning Crusades.

kcxiv
01-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Required

* Windows® 2000/XP
* 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible computer
* 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible keyboard or input device
* Processor 2.4 GHz Intel processor or 2400+ or higher model AMD processor
* 512 MB RAM
* Vertex and Pixel Shader 2.0 compatible hardware with 128MB of texture memory
* 100% DirectX compatible sound card
* 56K + Internet Connection
* 16X Speed DVD-ROM
* 20 Gigabytes Hard Drive Space

Recommended Specs:

* Windows® 2000/XP/Vista
* 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible computer
* 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible keyboard or input device
* Processor 3.0 GHz Intel or 3500+ AMD processor
* 2 GB RAM
* Vertex and Pixel Shader 2.0 compatible hardware with 256MB of texture memory
* DirectX compatible audio hardware
* Broadband Internet Connection
* 16X Speed DVD-ROM
* 20 Gigabytes Hard Drive Space

I am a little below them recommended spec's. I seriously need to get more ram though.

ChiefFripp
01-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I have 2 gigs or Corsair ram sitting in a box becasue my motherboard only supports one gig. Time to upgrade yet again I guess.

kcxiv
01-29-2007, 12:36 PM
I am going to need more ram as well, but even with what i got on highest performance, its running fairly smooth. Having fun so far.

htismaqe
01-29-2007, 04:21 PM
I can't believe how many Griefers we have here. Kinda sad really.

kaplin42
01-29-2007, 04:51 PM
played all weekend. The game is awesome and beautiful. Diplomacy is a blast, crafting is a lot of fun, and adventuring is great. If you on the Shildreth server, send Ferra a tell.

KcMizzou
01-29-2007, 04:59 PM
I can't believe how many Griefers we have here. Kinda sad really.Yeah, that's not my thing either. I don't get a lot of enjoyment out of ruining the game for other players.

kcxiv
01-29-2007, 08:02 PM
played all weekend. The game is awesome and beautiful. Diplomacy is a blast, crafting is a lot of fun, and adventuring is great. If you on the Shildreth server, send Ferra a tell.
Thats the Server i play on. Friends should be on tomorrow, then we wil get our guild going on. So far i am level 7 DE Dread Knight. name Kcxiv

wilas101
01-30-2007, 08:16 AM

Griefers in Vanguard or this thread?

Redrum_69
01-30-2007, 09:15 AM

Griefing players is a blast...

Especially in a game like Everquest. Where you could charm a rat, stand outside the city gates at Qeynos...then when the random noob comes along and kills the rat...the guards chase down said rat killer...and end up one shotting him...or drawing agro from other guards and getting killed tenfold.

Also, being an enchanter you could disguise yourself as surrounding objects...a lamp on the wall..etc etc so basically you could be working with a rogue, cast a spell on the random person that runs by..and then have the rogue jump out and kill said person in the dark alley..robbing his gold. This was especially effective right near the bank. I picked up so much gear and plat from doing this.

Griefing....its great....it provides neverending hours of enjoyment..knowing how many hours that person had been working on getting that plat from killing mobs...only to lose it all.

before they got rid of it, a person could drop down single coins...so you could exploit the system...and pile a line of coins in an area and wait for a noob to come around and pick them up...then gank his ass.

Another favorite was charming a person...then making them walk into the lava pools and putting their corpse way out in the middle where they couldnt get it LOL

you could also charm them and make them walk off cliffs etc.

My favorite spot was unrest...at 65 I would through the zone, into the old haunted house. the zone was a big area, with a tunnel at the entrance. If you get enough trains of mobs in there, it could be a fun situation. So I would run to the bottom, wait until the zone was full of people..like 20+ people running around killing mobs, mostly noobies, then I'd go to the basement and bring up the tentacle mobs...and draw agro from every mob in the house..go upstairs and draw agro from the hand mobs...and then run to the entrance of the zone. Sometimes you could get a solid train of 30+ mobs...at some point I would yell "TRAIN TO THE ZONE" and then watch the carnage...as these mobs would take down everything in their way trying to get to me..

THis was also effective at City of Mist....

htismaqe
01-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Griefers in Vanguard or this thread?

On this thread, or ChiefsPlanet in general.

I'd guess 75% of the MMORPG players here that have posted on threads about EQ, WoW, or whatever say they are primarily Griefers...

htismaqe
01-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Griefing players is a blast...

Gaining enjoyment out of RUINING someone else's enjoyment is pathetic and sad. Plain and simple.

wilas101
01-30-2007, 09:39 AM
On this thread, or ChiefsPlanet in general.

I'd guess 75% of the MMORPG players here that have posted on threads about EQ, WoW, or whatever say they are primarily Griefers...

ah.... I really haven't paid that much attention to the mmo posts in the past. Red is the only one that I had seen express that attitude.

I guess I'll have to live in the 25% of non-griefers.

and for the record... if my earliers comments about killing frenchmen seemed to be the actions of a griefer, WW2 online is 100% pvp. No names or identifying marks beyond the uniforms display on enemy troops so no way of singling out a specific player. They've done a good job eliminating griefing from a system you'd think would be ripe with possibilities.

htismaqe
01-30-2007, 09:55 AM
ah.... I really haven't paid that much attention to the mmo posts in the past. Red is the only one that I had seen express that attitude.

I guess I'll have to live in the 25% of non-griefers.

and for the record... if my earliers comments about killing frenchmen seemed to be the actions of a griefer, WW2 online is 100% pvp. No names or identifying marks beyond the uniforms display on enemy troops so no way of singling out a specific player. They've done a good job eliminating griefing from a system you'd think would be ripe with possibilities.

100% PvP games are exempt IMO. If you don't want to get PvP-killed, don't play PvP games. But when you're playing a true RPG and people follow you around to kill you, that's just sad.

wilas101
01-30-2007, 10:01 AM
100% PvP games are exempt IMO. If you don't want to get PvP-killed, don't play PvP games. But when you're playing a true RPG and people follow you around to kill you, that's just sad.

I agree. My first experience with that was in EQ when some friggin Bard on one of the pvp servers keep me locked unconscious using his damage and healing songs.

Really pissed me off and I never went back. Had he just killed me and sent me on my way I could have understood but I guess that wouldn't have been cool.

htismaqe
01-30-2007, 10:20 AM
I agree. My first experience with that was in EQ when some friggin Bard on one of the pvp servers keep me locked unconscious using his damage and healing songs.

Really pissed me off and I never went back. Had he just killed me and sent me on my way I could have understood but I guess that wouldn't have been cool.

To me, it's just another example of behavior in the virtual world that would not be tolerated in the real world.

Tormenting someone on a MMORPG to gain enjoyment is no less pathological than torturing a small animal in your garage...

kcxiv
01-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Greifing suck ass. I wont take part in it. I mean i will PVP but i wont go try to follow some low level around and corpse camp him.

Redrum_69
01-30-2007, 10:37 AM
To me, it's just another example of behavior in the virtual world that would not be tolerated in the real world.

Tormenting someone on a MMORPG to gain enjoyment is no less pathological than torturing a small animal in your garage...

oh bullshit

I played on Vallon zek..all pvp server..for three years.

If you didnt like it, you moved to another server.

THe same with any mmorpg.

Comparing torturing an animal in the garage to playing a fuggin game is the most ignorant comparison of all time. Did you ever play EQ? Did you ever play EQ on a pvp server?

htismaqe
01-30-2007, 11:31 AM
oh bullshit

Comparing torturing an animal in the garage to playing a fuggin game is the most ignorant comparison of all time. Did you ever play EQ? Did you ever play EQ on a pvp server?

I don't play online games because people online, in general, are morons.

It's like playing Madden on XBox Live and listening to them whine like 4-year olds about how you must be cheating when you beat them by 5 TD's...

keg in kc
01-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Griefers are the reason I've always played PvE servers.

Hell, in WoW I usually play on RP servers because of the naming conventions and the generally more mature playerbase.

Which is really what I think about griefing...immature. But it's something you can avoid generally, so not that big a deal anymore.

wilas101
01-30-2007, 11:45 AM
oh bullshit

It's funny but every bit of "griefing" I could think of was stuff that happened to either myself or someone I know in EQ. The more I think about it, I can't come up with any instances of what I would consider griefing in any other game.

It could be that most games are designed with a pvp aspect to them where EQ's pvp aspect was more along the lines of "oh, I guess they wanna kill each other... um.... turn it on I guess" without any thought of balance.

Training zone ins, corpse camping, luring noobs to the arena. I guess it all made for interesting reading on the various boards in the EQ circle.

I am actually guilty of one instance of griefing in my EQ days. I discovered that you could stand at the top of the hole in Blackburrow and shoot the gnolls down at the bottom. If you were like lvl 5 or 6 they would drag everything else along with them and the chaos ensued. I did it a couple times then found myself on the other end of the train situation in unrest so I changed my opinions on causing trains.

I have to admit it did make me laugh though.

htismaqe
01-30-2007, 11:55 AM
immature

Yep.

keg in kc
01-30-2007, 12:02 PM
It's funny but every bit of "griefing" I could think of was stuff that happened to either myself or someone I know in EQ. The more I think about it, I can't come up with any instances of what I would consider griefing in any other game.My first server in WoW post-release was Illidan (PvP server...). What got me fed up with that server was players (alliance and horde alike) camping the griffons in neutral cities. You'd land, and be dead before you could move, if you were under level, say, 50.

It wasn't as bad as EQ, more difficult to corpse camp and being instanced was very difficult to train, but it was still annoying...

Redrum_69
01-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Ok fine...heres the worst thing I ever did in EQ

Before it was fixed, you could kill people on the boats..like from freeport to the dwarf city and through timourous deep to overthere...

So there you were...a druid or warrior combo...going from dock to dock...waiting for a hapless victim or victims to board the boat. Hiding in the lower decks, peeking up top at each stop...and then appearing when you are out in the middle of nowhere...and then jumping out to kill them. Their corpse drops on the boat...then when the boat zones through..the corpse stays and drops to the bottom of the ocean. No way for it to get retrieved unless a GM was called...and nine times out of ten...the corpse would disappear before you had time to retrieve it.

SOme of those boat rides would take 20-40 minutes to get from one zone to another lol...oh this would piss people off something terrible.

htismaqe
01-30-2007, 12:09 PM

Before it was fixed, you could kill people on the boats..like from freeport to the dwarf city and through timourous deep to overthere...

So there you were...a druid or warrior combo...going from dock to dock...waiting for a hapless victim or victims to board the boat. Hiding in the lower decks, peeking up top at each stop...and then appearing when you are out in the middle of nowhere...and then jumping out to kill them. Their corpse drops on the boat...then when the boat zones through..the corpse stays and drops to the bottom of the ocean. No way for it to get retrieved unless a GM was called...and nine times out of ten...the corpse would disappear before you had time to retrieve it.

SOme of those boat rides would take 20-40 minutes to get from one zone to another lol...oh this would piss people off something terrible.

There's nothign even remotely funny about that.

This is sociopathic behavior at it's finest. You're just shielded from the real world by a computer network.

Redrum_69
01-30-2007, 12:20 PM
There's nothign even remotely funny about that.

This is sociopathic behavior at it's finest. You're just shielded from the real world by a computer network.

oh bullshit again.

you just want to argue

besides, that was in 2000-2002. When I switched servers, I made a troll warrior and played a blue server from that point on.

when you get it done to you a few times, your whole holier than thou view changes and you realize its fun just dishing it right back. The only reason I left was to follow friends over to the other server...and I also got banned for life on one of my accounts. My wife threatened divorce because of the time I spent on EQ. So....I quit for good...logged in and destoryed all the gear that was no-drop, gave away all my other gear, and spammed the auction area. The GM finally took me to the Depths of Qeynos...which was a jail cell...only accessible to the GMs. Well this one was a dwarf female with a bear, and gave me a warning, so I asked her if this was where the "prison sex would start and if it was I would be the pitcher and she'll be the catcher" she disabled my keyboard, and then when I tried to log on, it kept telling me I was banned. Even when I tried to log on to my account on the boards, it kept telling me i was banned from the game.

I took a year off from the game and then bought all the cd's again. I made a new account around the time the fabled gear came out and played that damn addiction for a few more years.

kaplin42
01-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Thats the Server i play on. Friends should be on tomorrow, then we wil get our guild going on. So far i am level 7 DE Dread Knight. name Kcxiv

Sweet!!!

I'm a half-elf (all though might switch to high elf) Psionicist, just made lvl 8 last night. My DDO guild came over to vanguard, at least some of the players did. My name is Ferra in game or if I switch it will be Proctor or Adraesta.

htismaqe
01-30-2007, 12:25 PM
oh bullshit again.

you just want to argue

besides, that was in 2000-2002. When I switched servers, I made a troll warrior and played a blue server from that point on.

when you get it done to you a few times, your whole holier than thou view changes and you realize its fun just dishing it right back. The only reason I left was to follow friends over to the other server...and I also got banned for life on one of my accounts. My wife threatened divorce because of the time I spent on EQ. So....I quit for good...logged in and destoryed all the gear that was no-drop, gave away all my other gear, and spammed the auction area. The GM finally took me to the Depths of Qeynos...which was a jail cell...only accessible to the GMs. Well this one was a dwarf female with a bear, and gave me a warning, so I asked her if this was where the "prison sex would start and if it was I would be the pitcher and she'll be the catcher" she disabled my keyboard, and then when I tried to log on, it kept telling me I was banned. Even when I tried to log on to my account on the boards, it kept telling me i was banned from the game.

I took a year off from the game and then bought all the cd's again. I made a new account around the time the fabled gear came out and played that damn addiction for a few more years.

No, I don't want to argue.

I want to point out how pathetic griefers are.

Taking PLEASURE in someone else's pain/frustration/failure IS sociopathic. There's no way around it.

My "holier than thou" attitude won't change. I've been victimized by more than a few griefers. And I've given it back to several of them in FAIR PvP. So you're wrong, I don't find it fun to dish it right back. I just leave. I don't play with immature children in real life, why should I play with them online?

keg in kc
01-30-2007, 12:26 PM
when you get it done to you a few times, your whole holier than thou view changes and you realize its fun just dishing it right back. I've been in MMOs since EQ went live. I've probably been griefed a few hundred times now. I have yet to grief anyone. I don't see the "fun" in it.

Sorry.

It's just immature. [/shrug]

htismaqe
01-30-2007, 12:32 PM
I've been in MMOs since EQ went live. I've probably been griefed a few hundred times now. I have yet to grief anyone. I don't see the "fun" in it.

Sorry.

Self-righteous bastard.

Redrum_69
01-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Wow, then you two should both be playing videogames that allow you to go around and just hug people....drawing faces on the beach...and watching the sunsets on hills.

keg in kc
01-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Self-righteous bastard.F*ck me and the white horse I rode in on.

htismaqe
01-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Wow, then you two should both be playing videogames that allow you to go around and just hug people....drawing faces on the beach...and watching the sunsets on hills.

ROFL

So now you're suggesting that people that don't grief are somehow not "tough enough" to play online games? I think I've heard it all.

keg in kc
01-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Wow, then you two should both be playing videogames that allow you to go around and just hug people....drawing faces on the beach...and watching the sunsets on hills.I bet you're one of those people that throws out the word "carebear" like some kind of an invective.

You rock.

Keep griefing, though. I don't have a problem with it, and I know it's saving you therapy bills, so it's all good.

KcMizzou
01-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Sorry.

That would explain why my 15 yr old brother is still terrorizing Darkshore on his rogue at level 65.

:shake:

keg in kc
01-30-2007, 12:41 PM
So now you're suggesting that people that don't grief are somehow not "tough enough" to play online games? I think I've heard it all.That's usually the kind of stuff you hear pro-PvP players throwing at people who prefer PvE. You're a wuss if you play the environment, real men play each other.

I go both ways.

Did I just say that?

PvP is great if it's the right environment. I dug the battlefields when I played WoW.

keg in kc
01-30-2007, 12:42 PM
That would explain why my 15 yr old brother is still terrorizing Darkshore on his rogue at level 65.How are you enjoying the expansion?

I haven't played for almost a year, now. I'm feeling the itch again. Think I'm going to try to get my girlfriend into it, but it'll be a while yet.

Redrum_69
01-30-2007, 12:43 PM
I go both ways.

O RLY?

keg in kc
01-30-2007, 12:45 PM
O RLY?Only if money changes hand.

htismaqe
01-30-2007, 12:46 PM
That's usually the kind of stuff you hear pro-PvP players throwing at people who prefer PvE. You're a wuss if you play the environment, real men play each other.

I go both ways.

Did I just say that?

PvP is great if it's the right environment. I dug the battlefields when I played WoW.

What's really funny is how it comes full circle, especially with sports games.

I play NCAA 2007 online, and when the 12-year olds see that I've only played 6 games online and spend the majority of my time in Dynasty mode, they talk shit.

And then when I take control of my DB's and WR's and don't let the CPU do it all for me, they accuse me of being a cheeser.

NewChief
01-30-2007, 12:49 PM
The griefing discussion is funny. The only graphical online game I've played was Diablo, and there were griefers on there. I spent years on text-based muds dealing with the griefers, though. Some of them are funny, others are disturbing. I've done some pk'ing (player killing) in the past on muds, but it was always justified. I've never done it just to screw with someone.

KcMizzou
01-30-2007, 12:51 PM
How are you enjoying the expansion?

I haven't played for almost a year, now. I'm feeling the itch again. Think I'm going to try to get my girlfriend into it, but it'll be a while yet.I love it... It's nice to have some new mobs (not just different sized and colored versions of things you've killed before)

At first I didn't like replacing my raiding gear so quickly. (had full teir 1 on my mage, and a couple warlord pvp pieces) But getting frequent upgrades again is really nice. My undead mage looks like he's been hit by a paint truck though... nothing goes together.

They've added some different styles of quests too... bombing runs from atop a wyvern, "The Ring of Blood" where you fight escalating mobs gladiator style... etc.

Also the first few instances only take like 30-45 minutes to run, so you can easily run them multiple times to get the drops you're hoping to find.

The nice thing is that if you do decide to come back, you've missed the huge rush on Hellfire Penninsula... everyone's pretty spread out by now.

keg in kc
01-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Well, if I do come back, I'll be starting all over. My level 60 warrior with Tier 2 gear is going to stay in cold storage. But I'm definitely not in a hurry, I want the rush of newbies due to the expansion to wear off, then we'll be able to play in less crowded starting zones. Hopefully we'll find a good server, too.

It really does look cool, though. I followed the week 1 blog on gamespy and I'm having the craving again. It'll be different to play it with someone this time, though. If she gets into it (which I bet she will).

kcxiv
01-30-2007, 01:26 PM

Some of those boat rides would take 20-40 minutes to get from one zone to another lol...oh this would piss people off something terrible.
**** the boat rides shit took me forever to get from Neriak to the Overthere. 30 min just 1 way. Then i had to hope to god i didnt get knocked of the boat and get stuck in the Middle of the ocean and had to find my way back. This was before maps. So you could be literally swimming for 2 hours before you found any kind of land.

TrickyNicky
01-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Training the docks in Oasis or the Orc Highway with Sand Giants or Specs (Go, Go Good Team)... Funny a few times but it does get old.

I'd equate griefing to wall-hacking in an FPS; Some people don't need to do it to be good or get enjoyment out of it, some thats the only way they will get enjoyment out of it, and some do it just because they can even if they don't enjoy it that much.

It definitely doesn't ruin anything for people that play a lot, you just have to find a heavily modded server and problem solved. In the old days when you could just force command a hacker to unbind all, couldn't even exit the game and had to hard boot just to get back to desktop, ahhh good times.

EVE Online was an absolute haven for griefers and scammers too.

kcxiv
01-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Training the docks in Oasis or the Orc Highway with Sand Giants or Specs (Go, Go Good Team)... Funny a few times but it does get old.

hahaha, Fancy the Famous Bard.

http://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm

wilas101
01-30-2007, 03:34 PM
alright... I'm going to go pick up vanguard after work.

gotta drive a friggin hour but I'm bored and want something to play.

Everyone is on Shildreth? I may see if I can catch up with you guys there.

Molitoth
01-31-2007, 10:43 AM
I'll send you guys a tell sometime soon, maybe we can group up.

wilas101
01-31-2007, 10:49 AM
I'll send you guys a tell sometime soon, maybe we can group up.

cool but I can't tell you the name of my character yet because I don't remember it.

I can remember he's a monk but thats about all I remember. I've also got the requisite month of making new toons until I find something I think I wanna play. :P

But anyway, as soon as I can remember a name I'll post it.

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 10:53 AM
So is Vanguard developed by EQ and EQ2 programmers?

Whats the story?

level cap?

classes? races?

whats the monetary system...copper/silver/gold/plat?

quests like WOW?

whats the end game set up like?

etc etc...i cant access the game sites at work anymore...

If this game is as good as eq1...i may have to buy a new system and get this game

htismaqe
01-31-2007, 10:56 AM

Whats the story?

level cap?

classes? races?

quests like WOW?

If this game is as good as eq1...i may have to buy a new system and get this game

Man, I hear ya. I have the same questions.

Unfortunately, all of those questions add up to the same thing for me:

TIME SINK

I just can't do it anymore, I've got kids...

At least not until they're a couple years older. :evil:

wilas101
01-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Man, I hear ya. I have the same questions.

Unfortunately, all of those questions add up to the same thing for me:

TIME SINK

I just can't do it anymore, I've got kids...

At least not until they're a couple years older. :evil:

I wish I could tell you guys more. All I can tell you thus far is that sony is involved somehow. This was reaffirmed last night when their subscription server was down for like 3 hours. It was reassuring to know some things never change. I don't know that its EQ/EQ2 programmers though. I do know that vanguard can be played as part of the station access thing they came up with a couple years back.

Like I said... i only got to see about an hour and I had to get to bed. The only coin I saw was copper and I didn't pay much attention to what else was listed in my inventory.

Classes and races: there are like 15 classes and 19 races. The classes are pretty much your standard fare but I'll look around after this and try and find some info that I can copy/paste. The races again are relatively standard with your various elves, dwarves, humans, orcs, goblins, lesser giants, some kind of dog people, some kind of cat people, barbarians. There are like 5 or 6 variations on humans. A human breed or two on each continent from what I remember. Differnt skin colors and some innate abilities separate them.

I have no idea what the level cap is.

The quests are designed a lot like WoW or any other mmo to hit recently. The npc that has one is marked overhead and the few I did led me in the general direction of what I needed. So far its been really simple but like I said... only got to lvl 5. Unlike eq1 the xp for quests seems to be significant.

System requirements leave you needing a fairly stout comp to run it. I have an athlon xp64 3200+ with 1GB ram, 256 video and I had to move to the 'high performance' setting. Even there its still choppy at times. I'm gonna try adding another gig of ram and see what that does for me. It also requires 20gig of hard drive space which isn't a big deal unless you've got a wife and kids like mine who want to store every picture known to mankind on your computer.

wilas101
01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
can you hit wikipedia from work?

Here's the wiki page on vanguard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard:_Saga_of_Heroes

kcxiv
01-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Sony is the publisher of the game. Brad Mquad has the rights to the game. Its his game. Sony doesnt tell him what to do with the actual game.

So far i am having a blast with the game. its Freaking HUGE. i mean insanely huge.

For the questions for other people. Yes, its going to be a little time sink, its not going to be easy to level like say in WoW. Its not as much of a grind as the Original Everquest. There is just so much to do in the game other then actually leveling.

You do need a nice computer to run it smoothly.

kcxiv
01-31-2007, 12:07 PM
So is Vanguard developed by EQ and EQ2 programmers? The Original Creator of Everquest, Brad McQuad is the Owner of the game.

Like i said in the previous post. Soe just handles the Publishing, Customer Service and the Servers.

Whats the story? Same old MMO story i guess.

level cap? 60.

classes? races?
Like 4 different human races. Black, White, Azians, Hispanics. 2 different kinda Barbarians. Dark, High, Wood Elves. Orcs, Goblins, Vulmane, Gnomes, Dwarfs, Haflings. I am sure i am missing a few.

Paladins, Warriors, Dread Knights, Rogues, Bards, Rangers, Shaman, Cleric, Disciple, Monks, Blood Mage, Necromancers, Pysonists, Sorcerers. I may be missing 1 or 2.

whats the monetary system...copper/silver/gold/plat? Exactly as you said.

quests like WOW?More or less yes. All quests in every game are kinda the same.

No idea on the end game yet. I do know there is other stuff to do besides end gaming. Like buying a boat, i think even actually building it. You can be the captain of your own boat. Build Houses, Neighborhoods. Shit like that.

kaplin42
01-31-2007, 12:27 PM

Whats the story?

level cap?

classes? races?

quests like WOW?

Kcxiv pretty much got it on the head. The game has a very eq1 feel to it in being that awe and wonder of playing it for the first time. Crafting, Harvesting and Diplomacy are great additions and done very nicely, they offer a nice break from the hack and slash.

The one differance I will say from EQ1 is the orientation of the philosophy. It is GROUP orientated. Yes there will be solo stuff, and yes there will be raid stuff, but Group activities will be where it is at. The best gear in the game will come from crafters. Raids will drop nice gear, but you will be able to get comparable stuff from group quests and crafters. So in that sense this is not a second job where you have to raid 40 hours a week just to get some DKP's so you can have a shot at the leet item you want.

wilas101
01-31-2007, 12:42 PM
The one differance I will say from EQ1 is the orientation of the philosophy. It is GROUP orientated. Yes there will be solo stuff, and yes there will be raid stuff, but Group activities will be where it is at. The best gear in the game will come from crafters. Raids will drop nice gear, but you will be able to get comparable stuff from group quests and crafters. So in that sense this is not a second job where you have to raid 40 hours a week just to get some DKP's so you can have a shot at the leet item you want.

I hope they're right about this but I don't believe it for a minute. Unless I'm mistaken, WoW was supposed to be the same but the cool crap there comes from the big raids doesn't it?

I think they'll cave in and institute some high end shit in the next expansion just to keep the power gamers and big guilds happy.

I do hope I'm wrong though.

GoTrav
01-31-2007, 01:25 PM
wow, wilas...small world. I was a gnome enchanter named Faspus that joined Convergence about a year before the merge into Lunacy Unbound...leveled up from scratch with some of those guys after getting sick and tired of pvp on Vallon Zek (only took 3+ years) :)

Convergence was a lot of fun, and some of my best times in EQ were getting schooled in the art o' chantin by Idazen and getting killed over and over trying shit with Scrab. Good stuff!

I was on Vallon Zek too...played and Ogre Warrior with a Guise named Caziel. I was in Xanit K'Ven and still play WoW with some of the Bashin' Iggles if any of you remember those...I ended up moving off Vallon and onto Legends to get away from Vallon.

Molitoth
01-31-2007, 01:28 PM
level cap? 60.

I'm pretty sure its 50.

I hope they're right about this but I don't believe it for a minute. Unless I'm mistaken, WoW was supposed to be the same but the cool crap there comes from the big raids doesn't it?

I think they'll cave in and institute some high end shit in the next expansion just to keep the power gamers and big guilds happy.

Guilds who do stuff that nobody else does, and spend days beating thier heads against the wall coming up with strats, dedication, and teamwork should deffintly get better loot then the part-timers who log in for an hour a day to fart around. Wanting maximum reward without putting forth effort is a stupid idea imo.

GoTrav
01-31-2007, 01:32 PM
I was on Vallon Zek too...played and Ogre Warrior with a Guise named Caziel. I was in Xanit K'Ven and still play WoW with some of the Bashin' Iggles if any of you remember those...I ended up moving off Vallon and onto Legends to get away from Vallon.

For the Vallonites, some of the best times on that server was during the peak of The Twelve Prophets.

kcxiv
01-31-2007, 03:30 PM
My bad i hit 60 instead of 50.

kcxiv
01-31-2007, 03:32 PM

The best stuff will ALWAYS come from raids. Brad's a firm believer in that. Not to say he wont through people who dont raid a few bones here n there.

wilas101
01-31-2007, 04:14 PM
The best stuff will ALWAYS come from raids. Brad's a firm believer in that. Not to say he wont through people who dont raid a few bones here n there.

but why say one thing if you believe another?

I don't actually mind having the best crap come out of high end, very tough encounters. never have. Would I be happy if, like mono said, you could get the same rewards for less hassle? Hell yeah. The rest of you would too. :)

I was a "light" raider in my day. I enjoyed it but couldn't spend every night doing so. Family life was part of it but the biggest reason is my own kindergarten level attention span. I might be leveled up but some days I just gotta sit in the window of emperor crush's tower and watch people get killed. It's who I am. lol

kaplin42
01-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Guilds who do stuff that nobody else does, and spend days beating thier heads against the wall coming up with strats, dedication, and teamwork should deffintly get better loot then the part-timers who log in for an hour a day to fart around. Wanting maximum reward without putting forth effort is a stupid idea imo.

I see your point of effort for the reward, but I can't get around the whole "raiding is the only way to ever get anything worthwhile" concept. What if you could do a quest that was HARD (remember effort, just in a differant form) and long to complete that maybe involved crafting, adventuring and diplomacy that could get you a similar item to that of what the raiders get.

The problem is this. Raiders think that "part-timers who log in for an hour a day to fart around" is everyone who doesn't raid for 40 hours a week. And they think that if you don't do this, then you want stuff just handed to you, with no effort and no risk. This is false. But by making it so you can only get the really good gear by raiding, you end up ruining the game in the long run for anyone who can't raid everynight. Because what happens is you have the raiders running around in this uber gear killing group content. Well then the Devs have to up the group content so the raiders are challenged, but in this process the normal players are left in the dust because they don't have this uber gear and can't compete with the new and improved group content.

No one is asking for handouts, just an alternative to raiding. Yes, raids should drop some pretty uber rewards, but there is no law saying that raiding is the only way that you should ever be able to get an uber reward.

And before you say anything, yes I do raid, no I don't spend 40 hours a week in game raiding, I average anywhere between 20 and 25 hours a week, but can never guarantee a schedule so I don't join big raiding guilds where you have to be there or you are kicked from the guild.

kcxiv
01-31-2007, 05:11 PM
I see your point of effort for the reward, but I can't get around the whole "raiding is the only way to ever get anything worthwhile" concept. What if you could do a quest that was HARD (remember effort, just in a differant form) and long to complete that maybe involved crafting, adventuring and diplomacy that could get you a similar item to that of what the raiders get.

The problem is this. Raiders think that "part-timers who log in for an hour a day to fart around" is everyone who doesn't raid for 40 hours a week. And they think that if you don't do this, then you want stuff just handed to you, with no effort and no risk. This is false. But by making it so you can only get the really good gear by raiding, you end up ruining the game in the long run for anyone who can't raid everynight. Because what happens is you have the raiders running around in this uber gear killing group content. Well then the Devs have to up the group content so the raiders are challenged, but in this process the normal players are left in the dust because they don't have this uber gear and can't compete with the new and improved group content.

No one is asking for handouts, just an alternative to raiding. Yes, raids should drop some pretty uber rewards, but there is no law saying that raiding is the only way that you should ever be able to get an uber reward.

And before you say anything, yes I do raid, no I don't spend 40 hours a week in game raiding, I average anywhere between 20 and 25 hours a week, but can never guarantee a schedule so I don't join big raiding guilds where you have to be there or you are kicked from the guild.
Raiding wont be the only way to get nice loot. Raiding will be the way to get the best loot. They will throw a few bones to people who are into tradeskills and diplomacy. There are epic quests that start at level 20 that upgrade as you go along and fine items in dungeons.

In a MMo you have to put in some kinda decent time into a game in order to achieve anything.

EQ has been out 7 years and there is people that play casually and still have fun. In wow Its the same. only about 5 percent of the WoW population have even raids the high end, yet people still find ways to enjoy it as well.

Molitoth
01-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Well I agree with you on the "Epic" quest type of reward. If they have Epic quests in VG for more then just the weapon slot that will be great. But ONLY if they were hard enough to be unique for quite sometime. Things are not epic when everybody is running around with them.

You don't have to put in 40 hours a week to be in a raiding guild either... you just need to do some research on what raiding guild is for you. There are some great guilds out there that raid only 3 days a week and keep up with those guilds who raid 5-6 because they are full of skilled people who don't take as long to figure out strats and such.

kaplin42
01-31-2007, 05:24 PM
Raiding wont be the only way to get nice loot. Raiding will be the way to get the best loot. They will throw a few bones to people who are into tradeskills and diplomacy. There are epic quests that start at level 20 that upgrade as you go along and fine items in dungeons.

In a MMo you have to put in some kinda decent time into a game in order to achieve anything.

EQ has been out 7 years and there is people that play casually and still have fun. In wow Its the same. only about 5 percent of the WoW population have even raids the high end, yet people still find ways to enjoy it as well.

I don't mean to be offensive, or rude, but re-read my post. I think you missed the alternative suggestion that I put in there. Yes you are right, there needs to be a reward for time put in and effort, raiding is not the only way to do that.

kcxiv
01-31-2007, 05:39 PM
I don't mean to be offensive, or rude, but re-read my post. I think you missed the alternative suggestion that I put in there. Yes you are right, there needs to be a reward for time put in and effort, raiding is not the only way to do that.
Maybe i mis read it, but there will be other ways to reward people. They just wont see the uberest of gear.

Then again, we really dont know yet, because no one is at the end game yet or even close.

Redrum_69
02-01-2007, 12:30 PM
So yeah, you guys are horrible

I'm going to go out and buy a new pc to run this and pick up a copy, but only after i get the tax return

I think I know what class/race I am going with...

wilas101
02-01-2007, 12:34 PM
rofl red.

really took some arm twisting, didn't it?

Redrum_69
02-01-2007, 12:37 PM
After reading the wikipedia link, i got hooked

also....forwarded that link to my friend that used to play eq1 and all the other mmorpgs with me...looks like hes going over to vanguard as well. He had been playing eq2 for the last year ever since leaving WOW

htismaqe
02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Told ya so! I'm gonna avoid this game like heroin.

ROFL

kaplin42
02-01-2007, 01:12 PM

ROFL

They used to call EQ1 Ever Crack. This game has many of the same addictive features to it. Hell im at work looking at differant web sites about the game trying to figure out what I am going to do once I get home.

I keep picturing the scene in the movie Hackers where the kid is in an AA type of meeting drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes like a fiend and saying something like "No, Im not addicted, I don't know what you're talking about"

Redrum_69
02-01-2007, 04:30 PM

ROFL

Imagine...all the planeteers who play vanguard on one server....how cool would that be...youd never have to worry about me saying /shout and /occ concerning your moms...

All we would need is a teamspeak server to help coordinate groups/raids for quests etc...or for the pvp action.

htismaqe
02-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Imagine...all the planeteers who play vanguard on one server....how cool would that be...youd never have to worry about me saying /shout and /occ concerning your moms...

All we would need is a teamspeak server to help coordinate groups/raids for quests etc...or for the pvp action.

ROFL

kcxiv
02-01-2007, 10:10 PM
They nerfed exp by 30 percent. I dont really mind though, not in a real rush to get max level. I wanna do some lower to mid level dungeons.

wilas101
02-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Hell im at work looking at differant web sites about the game trying to figure out what I am going to do once I get home.

I hear ya there. I have been pretty good the last couple days but I had a lot of work that needed done.

Today though I HAVE to learn more about monks. I'm starting to get pissed off.

wilas101
02-02-2007, 08:14 AM
oh... and I'm on Shidreth as well, monks name is Teshin. I hadn't given out any names because I have a real affinity for making one of everything until I find my niche but it just isn't working that way here.

I made the monk, started trying other stuff and always ended up back on the monk.

I am gonna try a blood mage though, I think. :)

Redrum_69
02-02-2007, 09:02 AM
so are you guys just on one server or scattered among them...

have you started a guild yet?

is the world as big as eq?

is there "zoning" from one area to the next?

what are the dungeons like?

do mobs have a chance of dropping "blue" or "epic" type of items/weapons/armor like there was in WOW?

what are the cities like?

is the server you are on a pvp or pve?

how fast are you guys earning exp? for example...the rumor was that going from 60-70 in wow was going to take as long or longer compared to going 1-60. IN the first eq..the "hell" levels took FOREVER to get that exp bar/blue bubbles to go up..killing over and over and chain pulling mobs all day...to just get a few blues....some people liked the exp grind while tohers hated it. But with the right group makeup, a person could zoom through the mobs...it just all depended on where you were levelling at. In EQ when I rolled a troll warrior, I spent all my time in Overthere, at tiger corner, chain pulling mobs.

Whats the highest level player on the servers so far?

Redrum_69
02-02-2007, 09:03 AM
What kind of PC do you guys have and how is the lag with your PC?

Molitoth
02-02-2007, 09:26 AM

have you started a guild yet?

what are the dungeons like?

do mobs have a chance of dropping "blue" or "epic" type of items/weapons/armor like there was in WOW?

how fast are you guys earning exp? for example...the rumor was that going from 60-70 in wow was going to take as long or longer compared to going 1-60. IN the first eq..the "hell" levels took FOREVER to get that exp bar/blue bubbles to go up..killing over and over and chain pulling mobs all day...to just get a few blues....some people liked the exp grind while tohers hated it. But with the right group makeup, a person could zoom through the mobs...it just all depended on where you were levelling at. In EQ when I rolled a troll warrior, I spent all my time in Overthere, at tiger corner, chain pulling mobs.

- I'm in the guild "Blades of Wrath"
- The world is as big as EQ1, if not bigger. (Not including EQ1 expansions)
- Zones are now called "Chunks". You can zone into a different chunk, but there is no loading times like in EQ1. Mobs will follow you through chunks.
- Dungeons are amazing, I was inside of "The Tomb of Lord Tsang" last night and it was pretty damn scary.
- Nameds always drop the better armor, but there is plenty of random dropped armor by normal mobs. Nothing of epic nature.
- Cities are a lot bigger then EQ, but not too big where you can't learnt hem pretty fast.
- PVE server
- XP is going just about like EQ1 did. Levels 1 - 10 go pretty quick, then you will notice each level gets considerably harder. It turns into a grind at around level 15. Quests give a great amount of XP, but not so much that you could just do quests... besides a lot of quests are group content at around level 15.

wilas101
02-02-2007, 09:31 AM
I think there are 2 or 3 of us, at least, on Shidreth but I haven't spoken with anyone yet. The world seems pretty big to me at the moment but I haven't seen much of it. I thought the continent i was on looked relatively small but I've ran my ass off the last couple nights and not covered it all.

There is no zoning that I have found. I believe I read somewhere there is no zoning at all.

what are the dungeons like? Haven't seen one so I can't say.

I was wondering about this myself. I've yet to see anything like that drop but its still early in the game (lvl 9) so not having an epic powered weapon isn't a big surprise. :)

I've only been to one and it was pretty good sized. Kind of the standard city fare that I saw. Merchants, trainers, crafting stuff, etc.

Shidreth is a pve server.

I have no idea. I thought about looking that up yesterday but said piss on it. All I know is it ain't me. :)

The exp in the first 6 or 7 levels was as fast as WoW but that can be said for any MMO. I can see that its slowing down but I believe its mainly because I have a bunch of quests that I haven't done yet. I figured I would do as much as I could solo while I learned what I liked and didn't like.

I'm running an AMD XP 3200+, 2GB RAM, SATA hard drive (RAID 0), 256MB GeForce 6800 video card.

Lag has been tolerable in the wilds with teh setting on performance. I went into the town, proper, for the first time last night and I think someone kicked me in the nuts because the world started jerking around and acting all crazy.

I'm wondering now if my lag issues are related to the cpu or video (or both)? I meet their "recommended" stats on everything but the processor so I'm leaning toward the cpu being my hold up right now. It's still under investigation though. I'm going to wipe shit out this weekend and reinstall the OS and game so I can rule out a tired system as the culprit. I haven't done anything for maintenance on this machine in 2 years so its probably due anyway.

Molitoth
02-02-2007, 09:34 AM

In beta i was playing with a...
P4 2.8 @ 3.15
1GB Ram
512 MB ATI 1600pro AGP
1 HD @ 5400 rpm IDE

I could play on balanced settings with Shadows turned off decently, averaging around 15 FPS. I blew my power supply and instead of buying a new one for that piece of crap I upgraded to...

Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 $200
2GB Dual Channel GSkill DDR Ram $180
512 MB ATI 1950pro PCI-E $200
Raid 0 @ 10,000 RPM Raptors x 2 SATA $240

Keep in mind those are NewEgg open box or Ebay prices. brand new retail is quite a bit more expensive. If you can build your own PC, always do that because its a lot cheaper.

Now I'm playing on High Quality with shadows (on low) with abosolutly no lag, averaging about 65-70 FPS. In the first PC I had doubled my ram to 2GB and I did not notice a difference. The biggest difference is in the Video card.. (DONT CHEAP THIS PART!) Go with a 1950 pro or a nvidia 8800gts if you can afford it.

Other hints:

-delete the bullshit from your hard drive and then do a Defrag after you install Vanguard.

Molitoth
02-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Oh ya, highest level on Shidreth atm is 26 or 27.

Redrum_69
02-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info.

I'm going to see what DELL can offer me this weekend at Independence Center...I should have around $1400-2k for an upgrade

The last three systems I had some help custom building it, but its about 3 years over due.

Molitoth
02-02-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm going to see what DELL can offer me this weekend at Independence Center

I'm gonna see what your mom has to offer me this weekend...

:p

GoTrav
02-02-2007, 10:12 AM
They nerfed exp by 30 percent. I dont really mind though, not in a real rush to get max level. I wanna do some lower to mid level dungeons.

I've heard advancing is Vanguard is extremely slow. A coworker is level 8 and can already feel the "grind". I'd like to play, and may in a few months, but screw the mindless grinds related to "The Vision".

GoTrav
02-02-2007, 10:15 AM
I think there are 2 or 3 of us, at least, on Shidreth but I haven't spoken with anyone yet. The world seems pretty big to me at the moment but I haven't seen much of it. I thought the continent i was on looked relatively small but I've ran my ass off the last couple nights and not covered it all.

There is no zoning that I have found. I believe I read somewhere there is no zoning at all.

what are the dungeons like? Haven't seen one so I can't say.

I was wondering about this myself. I've yet to see anything like that drop but its still early in the game (lvl 9) so not having an epic powered weapon isn't a big surprise. :)

I've only been to one and it was pretty good sized. Kind of the standard city fare that I saw. Merchants, trainers, crafting stuff, etc.

Shidreth is a pve server.

I have no idea. I thought about looking that up yesterday but said piss on it. All I know is it ain't me. :)

The exp in the first 6 or 7 levels was as fast as WoW but that can be said for any MMO. I can see that its slowing down but I believe its mainly because I have a bunch of quests that I haven't done yet. I figured I would do as much as I could solo while I learned what I liked and didn't like.

I'm running an AMD XP 3200+, 2GB RAM, SATA hard drive (RAID 0), 256MB GeForce 6800 video card.

Lag has been tolerable in the wilds with teh setting on performance. I went into the town, proper, for the first time last night and I think someone kicked me in the nuts because the world started jerking around and acting all crazy.

I'm wondering now if my lag issues are related to the cpu or video (or both)? I meet their "recommended" stats on everything but the processor so I'm leaning toward the cpu being my hold up right now. It's still under investigation though. I'm going to wipe shit out this weekend and reinstall the OS and game so I can rule out a tired system as the culprit. I haven't done anything for maintenance on this machine in 2 years so its probably due anyway.

How big is the install? I got invited to beta and it was around 20 gig...WTF

wilas101
02-02-2007, 10:43 AM
The box said to have 20 gig free and I think it was something like 17 gig or so that actually installed.

pretty friggin big.

kaplin42
02-02-2007, 11:56 AM

Yay, I love this questions cause I just got a new PC last week.

Dell XPS 710

Quad-Core 6700 2.66 GHZ with 1064 FSB
2 Gigs duel channel RAM
500 GB SATA HD x2
7900 GS 256 MB x2 (SLI Config)

My only choke points are the Vcards which I will be upgrading to an 8800 GTX and my DSL connection which I am contemplating getting the 5 MB down stream.

Molitoth
02-02-2007, 12:09 PM
BRAGGGGGGG

Im jelous of your PC.

kcxiv
02-02-2007, 01:46 PM
I've heard advancing is Vanguard is extremely slow. A coworker is level 8 and can already feel the "grind". I'd like to play, and may in a few months, but screw the mindless grinds related to "The Vision".
I honestly like it better this way, i have not once grinded. I go out and i do quests, and i explore while killing random shit. It lets you enjoy the whole game rather then just speeding through to get to level 50. YOur forced to grp, it forces community which a MMO should have. I hated the fact that in WoW i soloed til 60, i dispised that shit til no end.

I am not saying Vanguard is the best MMO ever. I still have a long ways to go. It does bring back that old school EQ feeling thats for damn sure. i for one am really enjoying it at the moment.

In this game you get TONS less 12 year olds playing. I have had grps already with pretty level headed mature players. Of all the grps i had, not once did i say, i want the **** out, because they cant play or they are annoying as hell.

TrickyNicky
02-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Man, I'm getting the itch... I don't think I'll be able to play on anything but minimum settings. I want to be a Goblin Necromancer badly. No particular reason, except that I was a Necro in EQ (I'm sure the two will play differently) and Goblins sound kind of fun RP-wise.

keg in kc
02-02-2007, 08:34 PM
In this game you get TONS less 12 year olds playing. I have had grps already with pretty level headed mature players. Of all the grps i had, not once did i say, i want the **** out, because they cant play or they are annoying as hell.I'd say give it some time. Vangard released right on the heels of WoW's expansion. That might have had some impact on the initial population.

kcxiv
02-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Man, I'm getting the itch... I don't think I'll be able to play on anything but minimum settings. I want to be a Goblin Necromancer badly. No particular reason, except that I was a Necro in EQ (I'm sure the two will play differently) and Goblins sound kind of fun RP-wise.
I think they play kind of the same. Snare, dots, fear, pets. I am a necro in EQ. Well i have been for the past 5 years. From what i have seen, they do much of the same stuff.

TrickyNicky
02-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Necro's in EQ were a lot of fun, its just that they ended up being Mana Batteries in most raids, if they were brought along at all...

I hope this game does a better job of making all classes useful throughout.

kcxiv
02-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Necro's in EQ were a lot of fun, its just that they ended up being Mana Batteries in most raids, if they were brought along at all...

Necros arent even like that anymore. I am the class leader for my everquest guild. I just tell them **** you! i wont dump mana unless i feel we may wipe due to clerics going out of mana and that is a HUGE rarity.

Anyways. Vanguard is alot of fun.

GoTrav
02-02-2007, 11:48 PM

in a group heavy game I'd have a hard time not going warrior, healer or a class with crowd control. It's tough enough getting groups as a necro which I played up to 50 in EQ...nothing sucks more than sitting on your ass waiting for a group..

Redrum_69
02-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Checked out the Dell kiosk at Independence center over the weeked....one of the many highlights was it was located right out front of Victorias secret. Eye candy festival 2007. Theres nothing better than strolling through Victorias Secret, digging through the panty bins right next to some blond bombshell...shes checking me out wondering what I am doing...then my wife comes up to me and I show her a stack of panties and bras that she needs to get. Then we both just oggle all the hot women walking around. My wife then grabs the bras and goes into the dressing rooms, I tell her I'll be at the kiosk outside.

20 minutes later she comes out and tells me she and three other women were in the dressing rooms trying on the bras. TO make a long story short, she ends up in the dressing room with three other women comparing bras, topless, trying all these different ones on and deciding which ones to get from the reactions of the other women. I grab a brochure from Dell and head back into the store...i have to see these three women she was in there with. She points them out and they all look at her, wave, and smile....thats when I had to leave...two redheads and a brunette...all way out of my league. Gotta love Victorias Secret...

So yeah, this week I'll be ordering a Dell. I'll post the specs later to see if I am getting a good deal...or if I should have someone build me one for less...

wilas101
02-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Yay, I love this questions cause I just got a new PC last week.

Dell XPS 710

Quad-Core 6700 2.66 GHZ with 1064 FSB
2 Gigs duel channel RAM
500 GB SATA HD x2
7900 GS 256 MB x2 (SLI Config)

My only choke points are the Vcards which I will be upgrading to an 8800 GTX and my DSL connection which I am contemplating getting the 5 MB down stream.

Personally, i don't think it'll matter. The performance issues that I'm seeing strike me as being completely server side.

over the weekend I added another gig of ram to put me at 2GB, cleaned up my hard drive so I've got about 50% free, defragged after the clean up, set my game settings to highest performance, set my game settings to balanced, went in and did some custom settings (clip plane to zero and shit like that that are sure to make a system run better) and not a single one of them made the game run any better for me.

I decided to just suffer through for lack of any better ideas.

kaplin42
02-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Personally, i don't think it'll matter. The performance issues that I'm seeing strike me as being completely server side.

over the weekend I added another gig of ram to put me at 2GB, cleaned up my hard drive so I've got about 50% free, defragged after the clean up, set my game settings to highest performance, set my game settings to balanced, went in and did some custom settings (clip plane to zero and shit like that that are sure to make a system run better) and not a single one of them made the game run any better for me.

I decided to just suffer through for lack of any better ideas.

Im sure you did this, but did you turn on the simple terrain, and make sure the resolution is no better than 1024 x 768? Also check what your roundtrip ping is and your network FRS is? That could be a big indicator of whats going on.

Molitoth
02-05-2007, 03:48 PM
over the weekend I added another gig of ram to put me at 2GB

I posted earlier this would not make a difference. You may see a quicker game loading speed.

The biggest difference is going to be a Video card upgrade.

Recommended by me If you are....

Rich = Nvidia 8800
Medium = ATI x1950 Pro
Poor = ATI x1600 Pro

TrickyNicky
02-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Installing now.

*sigh* I am so weak...

kcxiv
02-06-2007, 11:00 AM
I posted earlier this would not make a difference. You may see a quicker game loading speed.

The biggest difference is going to be a Video card upgrade.

Recommended by me If you are....

Rich = Nvidia 8800
Medium = ATI x1950 Pro
Poor = ATI x1600 Pro
I have the 1600 pro and it runs it ok, but i need a better one to turn the graphics up some. Hell Video cards cost more then the rest of the damn computer.

wilas101
02-06-2007, 11:07 AM
I have the 1600 pro and it runs it ok, but i need a better one to turn the graphics up some. Hell Video cards cost more then the rest of the damn computer.

By "runs ok" does that mean you can play the game as long as there are no people around or does that mean you can group up with some people and not feel like you're running in slow motion the entire time?

I am running a 256MB card right now and I can play fine alone and the other night I was grouped and managed but it was kind of annoying. There was just no responsiveness to anything but it wasn't unplayable.

wilas101
02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Installing now.

*sigh* I am so weak...

lol

join the crowd. misery loves company.

I still haven't talked with any planeteers on Shidreth.

What are some character names?

I've got a monk named Teshin and a Dread Knight named Morshex. Still in the experimenting phase at the moment though. :)

kcxiv
02-06-2007, 11:13 AM
By "runs ok" does that mean you can play the game as long as there are no people around or does that mean you can group up with some people and not feel like you're running in slow motion the entire time?

I am running a 256MB card right now and I can play fine alone and the other night I was grouped and managed but it was kind of annoying. There was just no responsiveness to anything but it wasn't unplayable.
I went into Ahgram last night, and it was laggy as hell, but most major cities are regardless of video card right now. With that card you can play the game in groups with minimal lag as long as you have the settings to high performance. One HUGE thing about this game is the sound makes you laggy. One of the devs posted about this on the fires of heaven board, and said he was working with creative to figure out why its doing it. So if you play turn the sound off for now. It really sucks that you have to do that, but for now it helps a ton.

kcxiv
02-06-2007, 11:15 AM
lol

join the crowd. misery loves company.

I still haven't talked with any planeteers on Shidreth.

What are some character names?

I've got a monk named Teshin and a Dread Knight named Morshex. Still in the experimenting phase at the moment though. :)
I talked witht he Original poster in game a few times. Name is kcxiv in game 15 dread knight. Loggingi n in a few hours myself.

wilas101
02-06-2007, 11:26 AM
I went into Ahgram last night, and it was laggy as hell, but most major cities are regardless of video card right now. With that card you can play the game in groups with minimal lag as long as you have the settings to high performance. One HUGE thing about this game is the sound makes you laggy. One of the devs posted about this on the fires of heaven board, and said he was working with creative to figure out why its doing it. So if you play turn the sound off for now. It really sucks that you have to do that, but for now it helps a ton.

I hadn't heard that about the sound. I'm gonna try it tonight. I'm getting a little tired of all the people around halgarad sounding like lurch anyway. Those are some deep voiced mf'ers.

Molitoth
02-06-2007, 11:59 AM
My name is Molitoth in game also.

playing with a 1600pro is playable, but you probably have to turn down to high performance, no shaders or shadows, low clip plane and no grass.
So basically the graphics look like EQ, --- which isn't that bad.

Playing with a 1950 or 8800 is a different story. The game looks amazing, and I can play with no lag on almost full graphics, yes even in cities.

TrickyNicky
02-06-2007, 12:09 PM
My name is Jorry Stubblefoots, 6 Halfling Cleric in or around Tursh. I'll be on later tonight if anyone wants to meet up, send me a tell.

kaplin42
02-06-2007, 12:15 PM
I havent played with it, but I believe you can create a private chat channel. I will try and look into it tonight a bit. If so I will leave the channel and the password here on this thread.

Only a brief 7 hours till im home and playing my 10 Psionicist :deevee:

Dammit Work!!! :cuss:

kcxiv
02-06-2007, 12:16 PM

playing with a 1600pro is playable, but you probably have to turn down to high performance, no shaders or shadows, low clip plane and no grass.

Playing with a 1950 or 8800 is a different story. The game looks amazing, and I can play with no lag on almost full graphics, yes even in cities. I am looking into the 1950 card. I dont have pcie though. When i bought this cpu and MB i thought it had one, buti guess i didnt check well enough. Oh well, i will get a dual core hopefully by the summer.

Molitoth
02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I am looking into the 1950 card. I dont have pcie though. When i bought this cpu and MB i thought it had one, buti guess i didnt check well enough. Oh well, i will get a dual core hopefully by the summer.

You can purchase a 1950 as an AGP version.

Also to make a private chat channel just type.. /join name(colon)password

so if you wanted to automatically join Chiefsplanet chat everytime you log in you would type...

/autojoin CHIEFS:PLANET

This sets the channel name as "CHIEFS" and the password as "PLANET"

kaplin42
02-06-2007, 12:25 PM
So then let that be our private chat channel. we can shoot the shiat, and LFG and all that happyness through there.

good job Mol.

wilas101
02-06-2007, 03:05 PM

Playing with a 1950 or 8800 is a different story. The game looks amazing, and I can play with no lag on almost full graphics, yes even in cities.

wonder how it'd do with a geforce 7600 512mb? the 1950 is about 50 bucks higher... not sure my wife will let me spend 150 let alone 200 on a new video card.

Fishpicker
02-06-2007, 08:57 PM
servers are down for maintenance ATM. I just bought this game yesterday. I like it so far. This is the only MMO I have played other than Star Wars: Galaxies.

I haven't grouped up yet because SW:G was notorious for anonymous looting and griefing. Does SOE still allow that kind of BS?

I didnt hear any chatter on the C:P channel while I played all day. I have 3 characters on Shedrith. Olestra (shmn) Liefella (rngr) Juzel (ncro)

i usually play from 9 pm - 3 am. If anyone on Qalail wants to group; just /t me

kcxiv
02-07-2007, 01:34 AM
servers are down for maintenance ATM. I just bought this game yesterday. I like it so far. This is the only MMO I have played other than Star Wars: Galaxies.

I haven't grouped up yet because SW:G was notorious for anonymous looting and griefing. Does SOE still allow that kind of BS?

I didnt hear any chatter on the C:P channel while I played all day. I have 3 characters on Shedrith. Olestra (shmn) Liefella (rngr) Juzel (ncro)

i usually play from 9 pm - 3 am. If anyone on Qalail wants to group; just /t me
They never did allow it, I been playing Everquest for years, and they always handled Greifing and Ninja Looting pretty harshly. Well, at least from my experiences.

wilas101
02-07-2007, 08:46 AM
wonder how it'd do with a geforce 7600 512mb? the 1950 is about 50 bucks higher... not sure my wife will let me spend 150 let alone 200 on a new video card.

I was wrong there... the agp version of the 1950 is about 150 bucks higher than a geforce 7600.

I could have probably managed the 50 bucks but this might be pushing it. lol

TrickyNicky
02-07-2007, 02:00 PM
I wasn't impressed with the Highest Performance's actual performance (FPS-wise around 30 outside of town around 10 inside) so I messed with the sliders a little and actually got it to look a lot better with some bump-mapping, bloom lighting and 30-40% shaders. Right now I'm sitting at 25 fps outdoors and still 10 inside of town.

My specs are:

3.0 GHz Dual Core Pentium Processor
1 GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce 6800 256 MB gfx card

Its a year old computer that I bought for $1200. I should upgrade the memory and card around next year.

wilas101
02-07-2007, 02:45 PM

I tried this last night and it does make quite a noticeable difference in performance.

We'll see how long I can stand having no sound now. lol

wilas101
02-07-2007, 02:47 PM
oh yeah, I almost forgot this.

I tried to get on the planet channel last night but couldn't.

I tried CHIEFS:PLANET and it told me the password was invalid so I tried chiefsplanet with no password but that just created a new channel.

Did someone fire up the planet channel and use a different password?

kaplin42
02-08-2007, 11:34 AM
I wasn't impressed with the Highest Performance's actual performance (FPS-wise around 30 outside of town around 10 inside) so I messed with the sliders a little and actually got it to look a lot better with some bump-mapping, bloom lighting and 30-40% shaders. Right now I'm sitting at 25 fps outdoors and still 10 inside of town.

My specs are:

3.0 GHz Dual Core Pentium Processor
1 GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce 6800 256 MB gfx card

Its a year old computer that I bought for $1200. I should upgrade the memory and card around next year.

In order to get performance out of VG, you will need to add another gig of RAM and a new vcard. Which just those two items can end up being a nice chunk of change.

Fishpicker
02-08-2007, 01:00 PM

you're right about that. I turned off the sound and I suffer zero lag in the cities. walking across the city of khal used to take 10 whole minutes. now I can run across without a single jitter.

kcxiv
02-09-2007, 12:28 PM
you're right about that. I turned off the sound and I suffer zero lag in the cities. walking across the city of khal used to take 10 whole minutes. now I can run across without a single jitter.
Just read a post from the Dev's about the game, They said in another month after they get the shit more stable and little bugs fixed, that the game will be running even better. They are still optimizing the client. THey said just to be patient, its incomming. hell i will post it in mynext post.

kcxiv
02-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Vanguard News Update – Thursday

State of the Game
From Ryan Elam, Director of Technology:

I’m going to answer some questions here, in typical FAQ style. It’s going to be very informal, and you MAY find yourself laughing at some point… don’t worry, this is normal.

1. Why do you have to patch so much after launch? Shouldn’t you be done?

I often say, “We will continue to make mistakes because we’re made almost entirely out of humans.” Yes, I’m just crazy enough to admit it.

Let’s say you live in an absolutely huge house. We’re talking 50 rooms, built-in theatre, the works. You want to invite over a bunch of people to enjoy your house, but first you need to get it ready. You clean, and you scrub, and you fix every little thing you possibly can before your guests arrive. You think to yourself, “Okay, there are a few more pieces of furniture that need to be polished, and yes even some dirt shoved under the rugs, and maybe that 80’s picture of Flock of Seagulls is a little out of place, but heck other than that, I don’t think anyone is going to have a problem!”

Then come oh… lets say… a few hundred thousand of your closest friends. You will be shocked and amazed at the little blemishes they find!

That is why. No matter how hard we try, we just won’t catch everything, nor will we catch everything in time.

Another thing to remember about Vanguard and games like Vanguard is a very old adage in development, and that is that complexity is an N-squared problem. The more complex a system is, the disproportionably greater the likelihood it catches the attention of old man Murphy and his Law. Vanguard is a very, very complex system, made up of dozens of complex systems, each of which is made up of hundreds of complex systems, each of which is written by a bleary-eyed human being doing his or her best to make an entertaining experience for you and your friends.

2. Why did you fix Bug03 but you still haven’t fixed Bug01?!

The most humbly simple reason is that we are a company of a hundred people, each of which has certain talents, and not all of which share those talents. Trust me, if I have spare time in the next six months, you don’t want me fixing the look of your dark elf’s hair! Nor would you want Jeff Butler jumping into the code to increase the speed of your rogue attack. There IS a prioritized list of tasks to be done, and those tasks are handed out to people to fix, and those people fix them as fast as possible, because if they don’t they have to sleep in the Llama pen.

3. Why is my client performance so bad?

Honest answer is because we made a game with a ton of graphics. Check your hard drive; it’s got a lot of Vanguard on it! Almost any given area of the game has potentially several gigabytes of geometry and textures to render, and we use every trick in the book to manage that memory and get it to your video card as fast as we possibly can. We also did our best to make sure that when the game came out, you could spend $150 on a video card that would run the game, and I think we did pretty good. We certainly don’t run at the same frame rates as some MMOGs that have 1/16th the graphics to render that we do, but with a few more weeks we should be able to run on most machines fairly well.

I can promise you, we will continue to optimize the client. You will see frame rates improve over time, and at the same time you’ll be exposed to less and less expensive hardware to run the game. If you are seeing Vanguard in low performance, do yourself a favor and look at the game on a system that runs it in Highest Quality. THAT is where we think people will be in another year, and we want the graphics environment of Vanguard to be your home for many years to come.

Item Loss Bugs

As of 5am PST Thursday morning, the item loss bugs revolving around bags should be resolved. While the fixes should prevent any new cases from arising, many instances where an item was already lost may be unresolved. We are still looking into a fix for this and will post updates as we have them.

Disciple Balance

Disciples were given some balance updates with the last patch to get them more in line with where they should be. Prior to yesterday’s patch, disciples could sometimes score critical hits upwards of 60% of the time. Obviously, that was not intended and it has been brought to a more appropriate percentage. We apologize that this did not make it into the patch notes.

Thats from Vanguard Developers.

wilas101
02-12-2007, 09:48 AM
ok. Is anyone using the CHIEFS:PLANET channel?

I tried again to get one the stupid thing and it says the password is invalid.

I'm starting to feel like an outsider. :)

Molitoth
02-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I havn't been using it, but I will tonight.

wilas101
02-12-2007, 01:20 PM
If I make it online tonight I'll try it. If it doesn't work I'll give you a yell and see if you have any luck with it.

Molitoth
02-12-2007, 05:00 PM
I was able to log into it during my lunch break.

/join CHIEFS:PLANET

wilas101
02-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I couldn't even get that far.

I logged in and ended up under the world 5 times, died to lag twice, for some reason still can't get the second part of my horse quest and was swimming across the bay in tanvu, was ran over by a boat which snagged my head and dragged me around for a while.

I logged out amidst much cursing and logged into LOTRO.

Redrum_69
02-14-2007, 12:37 PM
So is the game still great for everyone here?

Are you guys all on the same server?

Made a guild yet?

what classes are you guys lacking? I've always played a tank or dps warrior...or a shadowknight.

kaplin42
02-14-2007, 12:45 PM
still on shildreth.

Not sure about CP guild or classes.

Rogues are awesome for high DPS tanks.

A nice read if interested in rogues (http://www.thesafehouse.org/articles/interviews/article_42.php)

And yes, this game still rocks. Very much worth it.

wilas101
02-14-2007, 01:07 PM
well, I didn't log onto to vg last night because they pissed me off the night before.

Since I'm still in the hunting for what I like stage (which can last for years. :p ) I might log on tonight and make a rogue because they sound pretty cool. Plus I was a rogue in EQ and just really like doing lots of damage and being sneaky and shit like that.

To answer the other question... yeah, still on shidreth but haven't spoken with a soul from cp. I think they all hate me. :(

kaplin42
02-14-2007, 01:28 PM
I think they all hate me. :(

It's a conspiracy to keep you out :p

kcxiv
02-14-2007, 05:47 PM
well, I didn't log onto to vg last night because they pissed me off the night before.

Since I'm still in the hunting for what I like stage (which can last for years. :p ) I might log on tonight and make a rogue because they sound pretty cool. Plus I was a rogue in EQ and just really like doing lots of damage and being sneaky and shit like that.

To answer the other question... yeah, still on shidreth but haven't spoken with a soul from cp. I think they all hate me. :(I would advise against a rogue right now. They are broken, and the Devs have confirmed it. they are being worked on, but they suck as of right now.

I have only talked to Mol from CP. I need to visit Thestra one day. shit takes forever to travel being a Dark Elf. No one likes me lol

kaplin42
02-14-2007, 05:52 PM
I would advise against a rogue right now. They are broken, and the Devs have confirmed it. they are being worked on, but they suck as of right now.

How are they broken, I have not heard this?

kcxiv
02-15-2007, 01:23 AM
How are they broken, I have not heard this?
They have very poor DPS right now. Rogues are supposed to be a top DPS Class and they are probably the worst right now.

anyways, here is the shedrith Server forums.

http://www.vanguardservers.com/forums/140-shidreth/

NewChief
02-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Saw this on another forum. I don't play Vanguard or any MMORPG, so I have no idea if it's funny or not.
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070214

kaplin42
02-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Saw this on another forum. I don't play Vanguard or any MMORPG, so I have no idea if it's funny or not.
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070214

yup, thats pretty funny. thanks for the link.

Molitoth
02-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Heh kcxiv, I just noticed that you recruited all my friends from work that I got to play Vanguard.

kcxiv
02-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Heh kcxiv, I just noticed that you recruited all my friends from work that I got to play Vanguard.
haha, yeah pretty wierd huh? Well hopefully your parnters are good guys. They seem like it so far. I just hope they have a wierd sometimes sick sense of humor. Kinda like this board, maybe worse at times. Anyways, the core of the guild all played Everquest together, so we have known one another for a few years now.

Redrum_69
02-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I went back to World of Warcraft.

I played Vanguard for about 2 hours and I just didnt care for it.

kaplin42
02-20-2007, 11:42 AM
sorry you didnt like the game. I personally think its the best mmo that I have played to date.

In fact out of loyalty to my guild I still keep my DDO account open. I have to admit, when I sign on to play that game, I rather dislike it now. VG is 10 times better even with some of the bugs it has.

Redrum_69
02-20-2007, 11:47 AM
I played a wolf-man dreadknight. Dinged him to level 4. THe thing that got me was the animation of my guy, too much like EQ. I've read about the background of the developers etc but dang, couldnt they have made the characters a little more animated?

My friend is playing it all the time though and I told him I would give burning crusade a month, see what the level 70 game is like and then chose between the two. Right now, tanks are in high demand on my server, so I'm getting groups left and right.

wilas101
02-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I think one of the cool things about vanguard is the animations change with different weapons. A special with a longsword looks like "this" but the same special with daggers may look completely different.

I had a vulmane ranger and just couldn't dig him. I think its just the fact that its a dog. pure and simple. they have dog people and cat people. I'll give them a D- for creativity there but most animals have been covered. Maybe they should have done a half monkey and half fish.... looks like a fish but with legs and a tail and eats bananas or something. /shrug

I really do like the game myself. I would be playing it exclusively but my wife got a LOTRO beta invite so my 10 y/o son plays it and wants me to run around Middle Earth with him.

I can't say no because it won't be too long before he's too cool to do stuff like play stupid video games with his dad.

NewChief
02-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Sucks that they went with dog and cat people. I suspect you all will be over run with Furries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom) before long.

kcxiv
02-20-2007, 03:00 PM
sorry you didnt like the game. I personally think its the best mmo that I have played to date.

In fact out of loyalty to my guild I still keep my DDO account open. I have to admit, when I sign on to play that game, I rather dislike it now. VG is 10 times better even with some of the bugs it has.
i Feel the same, i quit everquest after 6 years becuase of Vangaurd, well not the main reason, but it was part of it. I am having a total blast, I just finished my CiS cloak quest, IT was pretty damn fun.

Now i need to put up one of my everquest accounts up for auction. I bet i can get about 500 bucks for it lol.

Edit- the patch this week will implement more animations, and even more bug fixes, as well as help performance, I can actually up my settings to high performance now and get the same FPS as when the game first came out. So they are definitely going in the right directions.

KcMizzou
02-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Sucks that they went with dog and cat people. I suspect you all will be over run with Furries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom) before long.
LMAO

Oh, dear God.

NewChief
02-20-2007, 07:18 PM
LMAO

Oh, dear God.

Heh. You think I'm kidding, but a hobbyist text-based RPG that I have consulted on had a huge discussion when they were redesigning the game about whether to include cat/dog people or not in the new version. They basically decided against it in the end for fear of attracting furries. They went with a sort of bestial race instead. Of course, this isn't a profit game, so they can be selective. Vanguard might have actually been trying to attract those people.

wilas101
02-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Heh. You think I'm kidding, but a hobbyist text-based RPG that I have consulted on had a huge discussion when they were redesigning the game about whether to include cat/dog people or not in the new version. They basically decided against it in the end for fear of attracting furries. They went with a sort of bestial race instead. Of course, this isn't a profit game, so they can be selective. Vanguard might have actually been trying to attract those people.

Who knows. I'd rather have seen goatboy or something.

kcxiv
02-22-2007, 03:14 PM
nice big patch today. Alot of good fixes.

wilas101
02-22-2007, 04:03 PM
yeah, I read the patch notes.... I want to go play now. :)

Molitoth
03-16-2007, 11:32 AM
So who has all quit?

Kc hurry and catch up to me!!! the lvl 40's are a grind fest.

kcxiv
03-16-2007, 11:36 AM
So who has all quit?

Kc hurry and catch up to me!!! the lvl 40's are a grind fest.I only play a few hours a day. I am not going to play alot of hours. MY Everquest days like that are over. I may do a few long days here and there.

I am more then halfway through 35 though. Shit is SLOW leveling. I am by River Palace right now. Soon as i hit 36 going to head to the Arena of Zaraj. Some nice Quest items there.

Hammock Parties
03-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Vanguard blows. It looks like ass and runs like crap. LOTRO is beauty incarnate by comparison.

kcxiv
03-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Vanguard blows. It looks like ass and runs like crap. LOTRO is beauty incarnate by comparison.
LoTR is getting pretty bad reviews from hardcore gamers. Them are the kind i roll with. Plus it looks to much liek WoW. no thx.

Hammock Parties
03-16-2007, 11:50 AM
LoTR is getting pretty bad reviews from hardcore gamers. Them are the kind i roll with. Plus it looks to much liek WoW. no thx.

LOTR is STILL IN CLOSED BETA.

Huge, huge difference.

And it looks nothing like WoW.

kcxiv
03-16-2007, 12:00 PM
LOTR is STILL IN CLOSED BETA.

Huge, huge difference.

And it looks nothing like WoW.
Yes it does, it uses the same kinda world. same engine. Its a Wow clone. Closed beta or not, you can still get info. I been playing these types of games for years. I know whats going on with the game. I will say it again, i pass.

Hammock Parties
03-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Yes it does, it uses the same kinda world. same engine. Its a Wow clone. Closed beta or not, you can still get info. I been playing these types of games for years. I know whats going on with the game. I will say it again, i pass.

Dude, obviously you can get info, but the game ISN'T FINISHED. It's not a final product. Are there problems with the game? YES. Will they be fixed? MORE THAN LIKELY.

And it looks NOTHING like WoW. And thankfully, nothing like the eyesore that is Vanguard.

kcxiv
03-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Dude, obviously you can get info, but the game ISN'T FINISHED. It's not a final product. Are there problems with the game? YES. Will they be fixed? MORE THAN LIKELY.

And it looks NOTHING like WoW. And thankfully, nothing like the eyesore that is Vanguard.
I am not saying anything about the bugs. I am talking about Game mechanics Its to much like WoW for me. Hell, Vanguard has quite a few bugs and its not an eyesore. some of the scenery for a MMO is just down right awesome.

P.S i dont know how you think that is an eyesore. See attachment

Hammock Parties
03-16-2007, 12:18 PM
some of the scenery for a MMO is just down right awesome.

Let's see your favorite screenshot. I just can't get past how ugly Vanguard is. It's almost as if the designers thought it would look good if they just cranked up the texture resolution.

kcxiv
03-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Thats just a screenshot i took of a buyable palace lastnight.

kcxiv
03-16-2007, 12:26 PM
http://www.keithparkinson.com/main.php

In 2000, Keith began devoting more time to writing and moved the focus of his commercial artwork into the software industry, producing art for the hugely popular EverQuest online game by Sony Online Entertainment, and THQ's Summoner. He also painted an EverQuest piece that appeared on the cover of TV GUIDE magazine.

In April of 2002, Keith was eager for a change in scenery and moved to San Diego to -- along with several EverQuest colleagues -- found Sigil Games Online, Inc. Among his many responsibilities as Art Director for Sigil Games Online, Keith created and maintained the overall style of the game, contribute to in-house concept art, in-game art, posters, promotional material, and more.

thats the guy who did the artwork. He's pretty well respected in the fantasy art world. He recently died though due to cancer.

kaplin42
03-16-2007, 01:38 PM
GoChiefs its not our fault your system sucks and you had to play the VG on the lowest graphics setting. Personally I think VG is beautifull. The graphics are pretty damn amazing actually. You should look up into the sky over trengal keep sometime. Looks pretty damn sweet.

Molitoth
03-16-2007, 04:21 PM

The exact same thing can be said for Vanguard, the only downside is that it is already released. Still, I'm having the most fun since original EQ. DaoC, SWG, EQ2, and WoW havn't even compared to EQ1 or VG.

Molitoth
03-16-2007, 04:22 PM
I'll try and find some good screens to post when I get home tonight.

Mr. Laz
03-16-2007, 04:58 PM
so what's the verdict ..... any good?

is it a WOW wannebe?

kcxiv
03-16-2007, 05:20 PM
so what's the verdict ..... any good?

is it a WOW wannebe?
Its not a Wow Wannabe. It's in the Mold of Everquest, as Devloper of the game is the same lead Developer of Everquest. It has some bugs and you need a damn good computer to run it. It wont run on you 800 dollar dell computer.

The core of the game is good. once they iron everything out. Fix memory leak's and fix the rest of the features so people cant exploit them, its going to be a damn good game.

kcxiv
03-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Click this link for some damn good screenshots of the game. If you have a beefy computer, your game too can look like this.

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/687186-post1254.html

if GoChiefs still think them SS's suck, then you need a new taste in graphics for MMO's

Hammock Parties
03-16-2007, 09:05 PM
GoChiefs its not our fault your system sucks and you had to play the VG on the lowest graphics setting.

My system doesn't suck. I've seen plenty of screenshots of Vanguard on the HIGHEST settings. It's bland, uninspired. LOTRO is a work of art in comparison.

Hammock Parties
03-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Look at how awesome this looks. It's stunning.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7548/screenshot00082gr2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Hammock Parties
03-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Gorgeous. Puts anything LOTRO can crank out to shame:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5123/screenshot00058al6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

kcxiv
03-16-2007, 10:11 PM
http://www.fohguild.org/forums/673908-post119.html

There is some pictures that arent doctored. While it still looks good, its not nearly as good as them pictures you got from their website probably. That look exactly like WoW but with a tad better graphics as its a slightly newer game.

Hammock Parties
03-16-2007, 10:22 PM
I took those screenshots myself. And I don't even have the graphics cranked up!

Vangarud's art direction just sucks. They put zero thought into anything. They figured they could just get away with high poly counts and large textures. Guess again!

kcxiv
03-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Well, to each their own, you can play LOTR online, n i will play VG with my friends. You win, i win. have funi

Hammock Parties
03-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Have you even TRIED LOTR?

kcxiv
03-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Have you even TRIED LOTR?
nope, i ha e no reason too. All my buds are playing VG. I am enjoying it, they are, actually playing right now just running in the back ground. lol