PDA

View Full Version : Trent Green Will Suit Up As "5th String" QB

Direckshun
11-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Let Herm be perfectly clear: Trent is not going to play this week. He would sooner have Dee Brown quarterback if Huard, Croyle, and Printers go down.

But according to Herm himself today, Green will suit up this week for St. Louis.

He'll have the pads on. He'll go through warm-ups. And so on and so forth -- but he absolutely will not play unless "dire, dire, dire, DIRE" circumstances arrive, Herm says.

I think it's a small but pretty good move. Dressing up with the team, going through the warm-ups, throwing in front of a huge (albeit pre-game) crowd... These are some things that Trent can re-initiate himself on now so he won't have to later.

Basileus777
11-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Wouldn't he be the 4th stringer now that Printers is back on the practice squad?

Chiefs Pantalones
11-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Good. Now all Trent has to do is learn how to chew food on his own and he'll be all set.

DaFace
11-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Good. Now all Trent has to do is learn how to chew food on his own and he'll be all set.

Do you think he'll have to wear a bib when he's playing to keep the drool off of his uniform?

dj56dt58
11-03-2006, 06:28 PM
unless "dire, dire, dire, DIRE" circumstances arrive

You mean like having Jordan Black as your tackle?

siberian khatru
11-03-2006, 06:33 PM
This cinches it: He's finished.

Frazod
11-03-2006, 06:42 PM
It'll just be nice to see him in uniform again.

FAX
11-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Isn't this move a tad absurd? Not on the "I eat skunk intestine chowder" level of absurd, but just a little?

I mean, he's not going to play, but it costs us a roster spot.

FAX

DaFace
11-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Wouldn't he be the 4th stringer now that Printers is back on the practice squad?

Yep. Herm made it pretty clear that there was basically no way in hell Trent takes a snap this week, though, so his actual place in line really doesn't matter. Officially, he's the 3rd guy, but that doesn't mean much.

DaFace
11-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Isn't this move a tad absurd? Not on the "I eat skunk intestine chowder" level of absurd, but just a little?

I mean, he's not going to play, but it costs us a roster spot.

FAX

The "3rd quarterback" does not take up a roster spot. It's a weird rule. In exchange for that, the 3rd QB is not allowed to enter the game before the 4th quarter. If he does, the other two are not allowed to reenter the game. Basically, it's a way for teams to have a 3rd option "just in case", while keeping that player out of the game unless all hell breaks loose.

FAX
11-03-2006, 07:03 PM
The "3rd quarterback" does not take up a roster spot.

We are only allowed to suit up a certain number, correct, Mr. DaFace? Is the third QB such a stupid position that it doesn't count against the limit?

EDIT: Already answered by the eloquent and amazingly well informed, Mr. DaFace.

FAX

DaFace
11-03-2006, 07:03 PM
We are only allowed to suit up a certain number, correct, Mr. DaFace? Is the third QB such a stupid position that it doesn't count against the limit?

FAX

Sorry, I edited my post. But yes, that's basically correct.

FAX
11-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Another great example of why ChiefsPlanet is my preferred source for NFL information and news.

Thanks, Mr. DaFace.

FAX

DaFace
11-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Here's a better explanation than mine:

"Each team is allowed to dress 45 players for each game, plus, a 46th man, providing he is designated as the third quarterback only. If this third quarterback enters the game during the first, second or third quarter, the first and second string quarterbacks are not allowed to return for the rest of the game. If the third quarterback enters during the fourth quarter, the other two quarterbacks may return to the game. This is a special rule that was put in about 10 years ago, and gives each team an insurance policy for quarterback injury."

FAX
11-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Here's a better explanation than mine:

"Each team is allowed to dress 45 players for each game, plus, a 46th man, providing he is designated as the third quarterback only. If this third quarterback enters the game during the first, second or third quarter, the first and second string quarterbacks are not allowed to return for the rest of the game. If the third quarterback enters during the fourth quarter, the other two quarterbacks may return to the game. This is a special rule that was put in about 10 years ago, and gives each team an insurance policy for quarterback injury."

Never knew that, Mr. DaFace.

I'm now beginning to think that there may be other rules of which the NFL has failed to notify me.

FAX

DaFace
11-03-2006, 07:17 PM
I've always wondered how big the NFL rulebook actually is. It's got to be absolutely enormous.

FAX
11-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I've always wondered how big the NFL rulebook actually is. It's got to be absolutely enormous.

I lost my copy, Mr. DaFace. But, I think most of the officials have, too.

But, I agree. I think they may have over-legislated the game at this point.

FAX

Skip Towne
11-03-2006, 07:40 PM
I lost my copy, Mr. DaFace. But, I think most of the officials have, too.

But, I agree. I think they may have over-legislated the game at this point.

FAX
The NFL has become a government unto itself. It isn't a democracy though. More of a benevolent dictatorship.

KC Jones
11-03-2006, 07:45 PM
I take it the NFL has made an exception to the rules to allow his headswitch controlled motorized wheelchair onto the playing field then.

Basileus777
11-03-2006, 07:46 PM
The NFL has become a government unto itself. It isn't a democracy though. More of a benevolent dictatorship.

It could be worse, David Stern could be the dictator.

Guru
11-03-2006, 08:07 PM
He's done.

BigOlChiefsfan
11-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I don't mind of Trent suits up as the 5th string quarterback. So long as he's not the G string Quarterback. Herm and I are lobbying for Jessica Alba in that role.

cdcox
11-03-2006, 09:28 PM
And so on and so forth -- but he absolutely will not play unless "dire, dire, dire, DIRE" circumstances arrive, Herm says.

So you're saying there is a chance that he'll start.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-03-2006, 09:35 PM
In doing this, Herm is getting Green acquainted with the backup roll since he hasn't been a backup in so long.

--GoChiefs/Hootie

J Diddy
11-03-2006, 10:35 PM
I think he's either gonna play or herm's trying to get into St. Louis head by making them think he's gonna play.