PDA

View Full Version : Wine question

luv
11-04-2006, 12:58 AM
A friend of mine read somewhere that having one glass of wine (red wine in particular) to help you unwind at the end of the day has health benefits such as being good for your heart, lowering blood pressure, etc.

She asked me if I knew of a good, inexpensive, red wine that she could try. She typically prefers white wine, and something very dry. I, of course, suggested the wine that comes in the box or Strawberry Hill (kidding, of course).

Any suggestions from someone who knows anything about wine?

How much for a bottle? Is it available in the liquor department of the grocery store, or would she need to go to Brown Derby?

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-04-2006, 12:59 AM
Night Train.

Guru
11-04-2006, 01:00 AM
Riunite Lambrusco
Red wine
$15 for the big bottle.

luv
11-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Night Train.
How much for a bottle? Is it available in the liquor department of the grocery store, or will I need to go to Brown Derby?

Hey, those are good question for the topic starter.

EDIT: And I should say would she need to go to the Brown Derby. I was thinking of buying a bottle for her, though.

L.A. Chieffan
11-04-2006, 01:02 AM
ALIZE
BOONES FARMS

Easy 6
11-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Riunite Lambrusco
I'm not a big wine lover but that stuff is pretty damn good.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-04-2006, 01:04 AM
How much for a bottle? Is it available in the liquor department of the grocery store, or will I need to go to Brown Derby?

Hey those are good question for the topic starter.

Should be able to pick it up for about 3 bucks :thumb:

http://www.bumwine.com/nighttrain.html

Guru
11-04-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm not a big wine lover but that stuff is pretty damn good.

I used to drink a glass everyday until I got married. Wife always frowned on it.

I am back though. Told her to get over it.

Easy 6
11-04-2006, 01:06 AM
I used to drink a glass everyday until I got married. Wife always frowned on it.

Man Law!!!

luv
11-04-2006, 01:10 AM

How much for a bottle?

Guru
11-04-2006, 01:10 AM
Man Law!!!
ROFL
amen to that.

Guru
11-04-2006, 01:11 AM
How much for a bottle?
I updated my post above.

It isn't as cheap as the $3 bottle earlier but it will be better.

around $8 for a standard bottle. $15 for the big bottle.

luv
11-04-2006, 01:12 AM
I updated my post above.

It isn't as cheap as the $3 bottle earlier but it will be better.

around $8 for a standard bottle. $15 for the big bottle.
That's not bad at all.

greg63
11-04-2006, 01:14 AM
Man Law!!!

When my wife and I argue; I always get the last word.

"Yes dear, yes dear...."

...But, I say it real sternly. :p

Guru
11-04-2006, 01:16 AM

"Yes dear, yes dear...."

:shake:

Easy 6
11-04-2006, 01:16 AM

"Yes dear, yes dear...."

:LOL: , i'm familiar with that "stern argument".

Guru
11-04-2006, 01:18 AM
That's not bad at all.
It is arguably the best of the affordable wines. The Kangaroo wines are pretty good too for a couple bucks more. I still prefer the Lambrusco though.

luv
11-04-2006, 01:26 AM

"Yes dear, yes dear...."

Someday, whenever I have a husband, I hope I'm able to train him as well as your wife trained you. :p

|Zach|
11-04-2006, 01:31 AM
$3 bottle of wine? Tell me nobody hates themselves enough to drink something of that nature.

As an aside the last time I saw a group of people "ride" the Night Train they were drunk and playing tether ball in their front yard facing National St. Damn those guys were fun.

pr_capone
11-04-2006, 01:39 AM
A friend of mine read somewhere that having one glass of wine (red wine in particular) to help you unwind at the end of the day has health benefits such as being good for your heart, lowering blood pressure, etc.

She asked me if I knew of a good, inexpensive, red wine that she could try. She typically prefers white wine, and something very dry. I, of course, suggested the wine that comes in the box or Strawberry Hill (kidding, of course).

Any suggestions from someone who knows anything about wine?

How much for a bottle? Is it available in the liquor department of the grocery store, or would she need to go to Brown Derby?

If she likes her wine dry she might try a shiraz or syrah (same thing, shiraz comes from australia, syrah from Cali). Yellow Tail makes a decent cheap Shiraz and is widely available.

If she wants to treat herself, Peter Lehman Shiraz (02 or 03) is some KILLER stuff.

luv
11-04-2006, 02:36 AM
There's a Price Cutter Plus down the road from me. They have a pretty good selection of wine (I'm guessing). I thought about just cruising down the isles, but I don't want to look like an idiot.

CHIEF4EVER
11-04-2006, 02:38 AM
The best dry wines IMO are as follows:

Red Wines

Chianti
Valpolicella
Cabernet Sauvignon

White Wines

Soave

Just my humble opinion.

luv
11-04-2006, 02:39 AM
The best dry wines IMO are as follows:

Red Wines

Chianti
Valpolicella
Cabernet Sauvignon

Reasonably priced? Hell, what is considered reasonable for a bottle of wine, anyway?

Guru
11-04-2006, 02:42 AM
There's a Price Cutter Plus down the road from me. They have a pretty good selection of wine (I'm guessing). I thought about just cruising down the isles, but I don't want to look like an idiot.

Talk about the perfect setup. :)

luv
11-04-2006, 02:44 AM
Talk about the perfect setup. :)
Thinking maybe I can find more of the "reasonably priced" wine there. I really should go to the Brown Derby International. I've heard that they're really helpful in finding a taste that suits you. I've also heard they're expensive as hell, though.

Guru
11-04-2006, 02:47 AM
Thinking maybe I can find more of the "reasonably priced" wine there. I really should go to the Brown Derby International. I've heard that they're really helpful in finding a taste that suits you. I've also heard they're expensive as hell, though.

Actually, I was referring to the "idiot" statement. Bey hey, that works too.

:)

luv
11-04-2006, 02:50 AM
Actually, I was referring to the "idiot" statement. Bey hey, that works too.

:)
I know. It doesn't take much, does it?

CHIEF4EVER
11-04-2006, 02:54 AM
Reasonably priced? Hell, what is considered reasonable for a bottle of wine, anyway?

I suppose it depends on what you classify as reasonable. I am willing to pay 10 or 12 bucks for a quality bottle of wine but that is just my opinion. I won't drink swill just because it is cheap.

ENDelt260
11-04-2006, 02:59 AM
Do they have Trader Joe's in Springfield?

ENDelt260
11-04-2006, 03:01 AM
$3 bottle of wine? Tell me nobody hates themselves enough to drink something of that nature.

I'm gonna assume from this post that Trader Joe's doesn't exist in Springfield. 3 Buck Chuck is actually pretty okay wine.

ENDelt260
11-04-2006, 03:03 AM
I suppose it depends on what you classify as reasonable. I am willing to pay 10 or 12 bucks for a quality bottle of wine but that is just my opinion. I won't drink swill just because it is cheap.
Willing to spend 10 or 12 bucks for quality? You don't set a high bar, do ya? I assume twenty bucks at a random grocery store to snag something at roughly equal quality to three buck chuck. If I were the sort to know anything about wine, I assume I'd pay more than 20 per bottle and consider it reasonable.

luv
11-04-2006, 03:10 AM
Willing to spend 10 or 12 bucks for quality? You don't set a high bar, do ya? I assume twenty bucks at a random grocery store to snag something at roughly equal quality to three buck chuck. If I were the sort to know anything about wine, I assume I'd pay more than 20 per bottle and consider it reasonable.
I was expecting reasonable to be considered about $50 for a bottle. I was going to be willing to go a little subpar. I'd be willing to spend up to about $30 for a bottle.

Guru
11-04-2006, 03:14 AM
I was expecting reasonable to be considered about $50 for a bottle. I was going to be willing to go a little subpar. I'd be willing to spend up to about $30 for a bottle.

You will be able to get some pretty good wine at that level. Don't really have anything to refer for ya at that price level though. $15 is my limit right now.

CHIEF4EVER
11-04-2006, 03:21 AM

No. But I don't have to. I can get a QUALITY 750 ml bottle of Valpolicella for 12 bucks and am perfectly content with it. I also make my own wine but that is another story altogether. 1 more month and my Blackberry and Peach wines will be ready for bottling. Around late December.....pahty time!

Guru
11-04-2006, 03:22 AM
No. But I don't have to. I can get a QUALITY 750 ml bottle of Valpolicella for 12 bucks and am perfectly content with it. I also make my own wine but that is another story altogether. 1 more month and my Blackberry and Peach wines will be ready for bottling. Around late December.....pahty time!
Samples? :hmmm:

sedated
11-04-2006, 03:22 AM
.....pahty time!

was that panty or party?

luv
11-04-2006, 03:26 AM
was that panty or party?
And just what do you have on the brain, young man?

Drinking brings out the best in people.

CHIEF4EVER
11-04-2006, 03:28 AM
was that panty or party?
Both. LMAO

Guru
11-04-2006, 03:29 AM
And just what do you have on the brain, young man?

Drinking brings out the best in people.
http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/drink.gif

CHIEF4EVER
11-04-2006, 03:31 AM
Samples? :hmmm:

If we have a 'get together' that I can attend anytime soon, I am more than willing to share a few bottles of my wine with fellow Planeteers. Not to mention a few bottles of my Hefeweizen.

sedated
11-04-2006, 03:48 AM
If we have a 'get together' that I can attend anytime soon, I am more than willing to share a few bottles of my wine with fellow Planeteers. Not to mention a few bottles of my Hefeweizen.

my door is always open to anyone with beer

that's how those hobos took my wife

CHIEF4EVER
11-04-2006, 03:57 AM
that's how those hobos took my wife

I don't know the story but am sorry to hear that nevertheless. That has to suck horribly. My condolences.

patteeu
11-04-2006, 05:55 AM

Wow, you can find wine that will be just fine for your purposes (or for any purpose I can think of short of a really special occasion) for much less than that. If you spend that much on a bottle of wine, you better be getting some hot sex to go with it. ;)

Kendall Jackson Cabernet Sauvignon is one of my favorites for $15-$18. But I agree with CHIEF4EVER that you can find good wine in the $10-$12 range at your local grocery store. Your friend just needs to try different brands/grapes and see what she likes.

BTW, in case no one has explained it to you, post #22 was referring to the type of grapes being recommended:

Chianti
Valpolicella
Cabernet Sauvignon

Different wineries use different grapes meaning that you can get a wine made from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes from various wineries including Kendall Jackson, Beringer (which btw is another brand of Cabernet Sauvignon that I like for a little less $ than the Kendall Jackson), Clos du Val, OnTheEdge (Vermeil's partners), etc.

Each winery may produce wine from several different grapes so read the label. Different geographical regions tend to have different grape varieties, but even when they use the same variety the flavor can be different because of the different growing climate. Also, there is year to year variation in flavor because of the different weather in each growing season. The point is that it's hard for those of us who don't really study this stuff like a hobby to tell you exactly what to buy because there is so much variation. It's probably just best to pick a price point, pick a grape variety, and then just try one.

Based on what you describe as your goal (one glass per day of a relatively inexpensive red wine), I'd give kcchiefsguru's Riunite Lambrusco a try to begin with. That $15 bottle is bigger than the Kendall Jackson and Beringer bottles I mentioned above so it's significantly cheaper and since a couple of people recommend it, it's worth a shot. If you don't like that one, try something else.

One last thing. Some wines are made from a blend of grapes (e.g. Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot blend). I generally stay away from these because I haven't tasted one that I like. That might just be me, but if I were you I'd pick a single-grape wine to begin with.

Good luck. :toast:

DanT
11-04-2006, 06:15 AM
I'm gonna assume from this post that Trader Joe's doesn't exist in Springfield. 3 Buck Chuck is actually pretty okay wine.

Here's the text from the Wikipedia article on "3 Buck Chuck":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Shaw_wine
Charles Shaw is an American brand of "extreme value" wine produced in California.

These wines are currently Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and most recently Shiraz varietals and Beaujolais, all from California vineyards. They are distributed exclusively by Trader Joe's grocery stores, and in California sell for $1.99. Because of this, the Charles Shaw wines are affectionately known as Two Buck Chuck.

Due to the three-tier system, in other states the price can go up to around $4. As such, the wine is often referred to as "Three Buck Chuck" or "Four Buck Chuck" relative to the price.

Charles Shaw is an example of the recent trend of economy-minded wine drinkers seeking the greatest value. In particular the brand stands out not only for the low cost, but also for the respectable packaging and semi-frequent high ratings at wine tasting events; at the 28th Annual International Eastern Wine Competition, for example, Shaw's 2002 Shiraz received the double gold medal, besting the roughly 2,300 other wines in the competition.

Ownership

The Charles Shaw label is owned by the Bronco Wine Company, headed by Fred Franzia (no business relationship to Franzia wines). There once was an actual, eponymous winery owned by Charles F. Shaw, dedicated to producing Beaujolais-style wines in the Napa Valley, but it went out of business and the name was sold to Bronco. Bronco achieves its low prices in part by taking advantage of the overplanting of wine grapes in California in the 1990s, but also by growing huge quantities of its own at extremely low cost. The result is put in a respectable, 750mL package, sealed with real cork. People who might shy away from box wine, screwcap, and jug wine can drink equally inexpensive wine without the stigma attached to its usual packaging. Shaw's wines are generally unexceptional but unobjectionable, quite suitable for use as a cooking or table wine.

Bwana
11-04-2006, 07:03 AM
Night Train.

OMG

ROFL

BigOlChiefsfan
11-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Here are a couple of my fave dry red wines under $12:

http://terrarosawine.com/reds.html
Laurel Glen REDS is a zinfandel 'field blend' . I think it tastes great. Made by a really good winemaker, it's rated a perennial 'best buy' in the magazines, etc. I find it available all over K.C. for $7.50-$8. Decent by itself as a 'cocktail' pour, great with grilled foods or anything containing garlic. My red 'house wine'.

Bonny Doon 'Big House Red' is another California blend that I like. $8-9 locally. Has a modern 'Stilven' screwtop, you'll see more and more of these. Washington State produces a lot of tasty and affordable red wine, too. I like Hedges CSM.

Beaujolais comes from just north of Paris, and is an 'everyday' table wine at a lot of French cafes. Those wily cheese eating surrender monkeys may be on to something. It's a great 'food' wine, I drink a lot of Jadot Beaujolais-Villages @ $8 (a step up in quality from the 'normal' $7 grade) I pass up the Beaujolais Noveau, which I consider to be Welchs grape juice with a marketing dept. behind it. Try the 'Cru' Beaujolais as well, Morgon and Fleurie are a couple I like. 2003 was a great year for these.

I like Syrah/Shiraz. Oz plonk or Rhone, I'm easy going. I buy a lot of St. Joseph, not 'fashionable' but tasty and affordable ($9-20) A lot of Cotes du Rhone/Cotes du Ventoux as well ($6-10), usually a syrah/grenache blend.

Speaking of grenache, look for Spanish garnacha(grenache) like Vina Alarba, or rosado (dry rose') - tasty & cheap ($6 up). Again, good with anything that includes garlic.

Finally...the movie Sideways made Pinot Noir popular, and drove the price sky high (it was already high, the grape is hard to grow/won't grow just anywhere). Before Hollywood screwed the pooch I drank a lot of Rodet or Jadot Bourgogne. This is 'generic' Burgundy in their weirdsville rating system. Tasty as heck @ $12-15. Used to be $7-12. Try it with grilled lamb, beef or roast turkey.

RedandGold
11-04-2006, 07:55 AM
Here are some good, inexpensive red wines that you should be able to find in a grocery store liquor department for $15 or less:

Pinot Noir:
Robert Mondavi Private Selection
Beringer Founders Estate
Meridian

Merlot:
Gallo of Sonoma (the best inexpensive merlot that I've found)
Wild Horse (generally around $20, but sometimes you catch it on sale)
Hahn
Bogle

Cabernet Sauvignon:
Hahn
Columbia Crest Grand Estates
Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve

Chianti:
Ecco Domani

These are all wines that are easy to find, and I consider them to be very good values.

the Talking Can
11-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Here are a couple of my fave dry red wines under $12:

http://terrarosawine.com/reds.html
Laurel Glen REDS is a zinfandel 'field blend' . I think it tastes great. Made by a really good winemaker, it's rated a perennial 'best buy' in the magazines, etc. I find it available all over K.C. for $7.50-$8. Decent by itself as a 'cocktail' pour, great with grilled foods or anything containing garlic. My red 'house wine'.

Bonny Doon 'Big House Red' is another California blend that I like. $8-9 locally. Has a modern 'Stilven' screwtop, you'll see more and more of these. Washington State produces a lot of tasty and affordable red wine, too. I like Hedges CSM.

Beaujolais comes from just north of Paris, and is an 'everyday' table wine at a lot of French cafes. Those wily cheese eating surrender monkeys may be on to something. It's a great 'food' wine, I drink a lot of Jadot Beaujolais-Villages @ $8 (a step up in quality from the 'normal' $7 grade) I pass up the Beaujolais Noveau, which I consider to be Welchs grape juice with a marketing dept. behind it. Try the 'Cru' Beaujolais as well, Morgon and Fleurie are a couple I like. 2003 was a great year for these.

I like Syrah/Shiraz. Oz plonk or Rhone, I'm easy going. I buy a lot of St. Joseph, not 'fashionable' but tasty and affordable ($9-20) A lot of Cotes du Rhone/Cotes du Ventoux as well ($6-10), usually a syrah/grenache blend.

[B]Speaking of grenache, look for Spanish garnacha(grenache) like Vina Alarba, or rosado (dry rose') - tasty & cheap ($6 up). Again, good with anything that includes garlic.[B]

Finally...the movie Sideways made Pinot Noir popular, and drove the price sky high (it was already high, the grape is hard to grow/won't grow just anywhere). Before Hollywood screwed the pooch I drank a lot of Rodet or Jadot Bourgogne. This is 'generic' Burgundy in their weirdsville rating system. Tasty as heck @ $12-15. Used to be $7-12. Try it with grilled lamb, beef or roast turkey.

nice post....I drank a bottle of garnacha last night for the first time...$9 and it was delicious...lots of fruit, but not real sweet (if that makes sense)...I picked it at random and enjoyed it much more then several $12-15 bottles I've drank recently..."Castillo de Monseran" 2003

is garnacha a grape, a region?

BigOlChiefsfan
11-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Garnacha is a grape, it's the spanish word for the grape we usually call Grenache. They grow a lot of it in the Navarra region in Spain, and in S. France. We grow a lot of Grenache in California, but it's always been a 'blending' grape over here, (except at Bonny Doon, he makes some interesting stuff from it).
Keep trying those 'cheap' Garnacha bottles you find, price on these has more to do with popularity/rate of exchange than it does with quality. You'll sometimes find good cheap grenache from the S. of France as well. Not everyone's cuppa, but it's good stuff in my opinion.

Hog Rider
11-04-2006, 08:12 AM
BigOlChiefsfan is spot on with Bonny Doon "Big House Red". Very inexpensive for the quality. I have been to the winery, and all his reds are in the Old World Style. Much less fruit-forward than typical American wines. The bottle labels are a real kick too. Great artwork.

If you go up in price Bonny Doon "Le Cigar Volante" is also very good in the earthy tradition, as is "Heart of Darkness". I do not remember the specific blends for each wine, but the quality is definitely there. They are one of the early crusaders for screw caps on high quality wines. I love corks, but I hate spending big bucks and getting a "corked" wine.

Geyser Peak's Cabernet Sauvignon is also typically dryer than most, with a very nice touch of oak. Even the less expensive bottle shows well, but not near as well as their mid priced "Block Collection" (that may only be available at the winery).

Most wine stores are happy to help and are usually knowledgeable about most of their stock.

Good Luck LUV,

JP

BigOlChiefsfan
11-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Randall (the Bonny Doon owner) is a hooty guy, and those labels are by the same fellow (Steadman) who illustrated all the Hunter S. Thompson books.

Heart of Darkness is Madiran, rare over here. So dark it'll stain your teeth if you're not careful. "Le Cigare" is an American version of "Chateauneuf du Pape"...Grenache/Syrah + about 12 other grapes. I have half a dozen of these squirrelled away in the cellar, bring 'em out when I have wild game or a leg o' lamb. I drink it's 'little brother' the Vin Gris du Cigare a LOT. This is a $12 dry pink wine, great with seafood. When Randall has a good year this is one of the best wines you can buy for less than $20, and always a good buy.

Hog Rider
11-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Randall (the Bonny Doon owner) is a hooty guy, and those labels are by the same fellow (Steadman) who illustrated all the Hunter S. Thompson books.

Heart of Darkness is Madiran, rare over here. So dark it'll stain your teeth if you're not careful. "Le Cigare" is an American version of "Chateauneuf du Pape"...Grenache/Syrah + about 12 other grapes. I have half a dozen of these squirrelled away in the cellar, bring 'em out when I have wild game or a leg o' lamb. I drink it's 'little brother' the Vin Gris du Cigare a LOT. This is a $12 dry pink wine, great with seafood. When Randall has a good year this is one of the best wines you can buy for less than $20, and always a good buy.

The Vin Gris then is made from the same blend, or does he change that around to get the result he wants? We don't drink too many "pinks", but have found a few that definitely are not stereotypical. I will make an effort to find it and give it a try.

JP

BigOlChiefsfan
11-04-2006, 08:37 AM
Some of the same grapes, but not exactly the same blend. Try the Vin Gris with some garlicky shrimp or fettucine and white clam sauce. A lot of people drink dry rose' only in the summer, I like this one any old time. Think of it as a Bonny Doon Tavel.

BigOlChiefsfan
11-04-2006, 01:52 PM
One more red I forgot to mention. Malbec from Argentina. Great wine with beef. Here's a malbec from one of my favorite winemakers. I consider it a best buy at $9-10 locally.

http://www.laurelglen.com/laurelglen/catalog/view_product.jsp?product_id=1010&cat_id=1008

luv
11-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Okay. I'm gonna jot down some of this info and head out on my quest!

Dartgod
11-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Champagne + Ripple = Champipple!

http://www.americanclassics.bz/images/SAN514_L.gif

Easy 6
11-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Champagne + Ripple = Champipple!

http://www.americanclassics.bz/images/SAN514_L.gif

ROFL ROFL ROFL , that episode is one of my VERY favorites, the Blind Melon Jelly one is another classic. I would never pass that shirt up if i saw it somewhere. TV isnt what it used to be.......*sigh*

DenverDanChiefsFan
11-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Pick up a copy of the November edition of Wine Enthusiast. They have their annual bargain edition. 50 wines for $15 or under.
Also, most stores are now posting wine ratings from the different wine magazines. Generally anything with a rating of 85 or higher you can't go wrong. Best thing to do is try a couple. Regardless of what other people think of wine, the best wine is the wine you like the best.

sd4chiefs
11-04-2006, 05:43 PM

I drink wine all the time and (Charles Shaw) 3 Buck Chuck is pretty good. I also like Meridian ($6 when on sale) and Clos Du Bois ($9 when on sale).

runnercyclist
11-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Silver Oak
and any good Port.

My favs.

Fire Me Boy!
11-04-2006, 07:16 PM
My drink of choice right now is Coppola Claret. The Rosso is good, too. $11-13 a bottle.

Hog Rider
11-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Silver Oak
and any good Port.

My favs.

Alexander Valley, Napa or both? I've never had the more expensive Napa Cab'. The Alexander is typically very good though. Had one on my wife's birthday this year.

Agree with the Port! Any Port in a storm! :thumb:

Hog Rider
11-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Coppola Cask (cab) is on par with the Silver Oak Alexander Valley, but with more oak on the finish. I think a little more complex because of that - still, the Silver Oaks just buckle my knees on the first sip.

dtebbe
11-04-2006, 07:52 PM
2 favs of mine, under $20

BV Coastal 2002 Cabernet

Clos Du Bois 2003 Pinot Noir

If she likes whites, the BV coastal should tickle her fancy.

DT

Dartgod
11-04-2006, 08:25 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL , that episode is one of my VERY favorites, the Blind Melon Jelly one is another classic. I would never pass that shirt up if i saw it somewhere. TV isnt what it used to be.......*sigh*http://www.80stees.com/products/Sanford-Son-shirt-champipple.asp

Simply Red
11-04-2006, 08:30 PM
You can't go wrong with the Black Labeled Ruffino Chianti (15)
-or- on special occasion the Gold Labeled Ruffino Chianti (35)

greg63
11-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Someday, whenever I have a husband, I hope I'm able to train him as well as your wife trained you. :p

Eh, it's just easier that way.

luv
11-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Riunite Lambrusco
Red wine
$15 for the big bottle.
I found this at Wal-Mart tonight. I got a 4-pack of little bottles for 4-something. I got a bottle of Red Rose as well.

Phobia
11-05-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm rather partial to most Pinot Noir.

My wife likes an abundance of Shiraz selections.

Simplex3
11-05-2006, 12:55 AM
The most expensive wine I've ever had was $60/bottle. Most of what I drink is $15 or less. There are plenty of good wines for under $15, and if you work at it even a little you can find one you like for under $8.