PDA

View Full Version : Reducing File Size of Digital Images

jspchief
11-04-2006, 05:46 PM
My wife has some digital photos that she's trying to e-mail from work to home, but the file size on them is ridiculously large.

How do I go about reducing the file size?

Douche Baggins
11-04-2006, 05:59 PM
I just use Adobe Photoshop. Open the image, resave as JPEG and then you can slide the quality lower to reduce the filesize. You can also reduce the resolution of course.

DaFace
11-04-2006, 06:15 PM
If you're just wanting to look at them, you could always upload them to imageshack and have it reduce the resolution for you. That won't work if you want to print them at home, though.

listopencil
11-04-2006, 06:17 PM
My wife has some digital photos that she's trying to e-mail from work to home, but the file size on them is ridiculously large.

How do I go about reducing the file size?

What program do you use for images? I think resizing is a basic function in all of them.

jspchief
11-04-2006, 06:34 PM
What program do you use for images? I think resizing is a basic function in all of them.I'm not sure what she uses. Probably a basic microsoft program or something. I haven't even seen what she's talking about yet, I just posted this here to get a head start on getting answers.

listopencil
11-04-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure what she uses. Probably a basic microsoft program or something. I haven't even seen what she's talking about yet, I just posted this here to get a head start on getting answers.

I would check the drop-down menu at the top of whatever program is available. "File" or "Format" is a good place to start. Then look for "Resize".

icepick64
11-04-2006, 06:39 PM
One thing you can do is package them in a zip/rar archive, this will reduce the transfer size. Or you can open up word, insert all the images, then save it as a doc, will also reduce the total size.

DaFace
11-04-2006, 06:45 PM
One thing you can do is package them in a zip/rar archive, this will reduce the transfer size. Or you can open up word, insert all the images, then save it as a doc, will also reduce the total size.

You could try zipping or raring them, but you'd be lucky to get more than a 5% compression. JPGs are already compressed, so it's unlikely you'll see a significant improvement.

Also, the only reason pictures end up smaller in Word is because it reduces the resolution. The other problem is that it's a major pain in the arse to get your pictures out in JPG format after you've converted them to a DOC.

chagrin
11-04-2006, 08:19 PM
standard program on windows is imaging preview, simply go to resize image and reduce it to 500 or 80 or 100 or whatever, also you can "right click" on the image and "open with" paint, do the same thing.
Isn't there a program that came with the digital camera?

chagrin
11-04-2006, 08:20 PM
dude, just reading your post, just right click on the image and do it that way - should be fine