PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

chiefwidow
11-05-2006, 10:27 AM
I think it's the processor.... but not totally sure.
Went to reformat a harddrive and install win xp home edition. Computer won't boot. Took the harddrive out and hooked it up to another computer. Formatted and installed windows. Updated and replaced it in the original computer. Wouldn't boot pass verifying DMI pool... went to safe mode and won't go pass gagp30kx.sys If you go to normal windows... it's a blank screen for more than an hour.

Original has a p3 processor and I've noticed that the fan sticks
I have only hooked up the KVM and still the same. Replaced ram, still nothing. Hooked up a pc analyzer...and code 23 for award bios comes up. The booklet says Enable slots 3:initalize slot 3:Test protective mode.
Put the harddrive back into another computer and works just fine.
Any ideas??

DaFace
11-05-2006, 10:43 AM
I think it's the processor.... but not totally sure.
Went to reformat a harddrive and install win xp home edition. Computer won't boot. Took the harddrive out and hooked it up to another computer. Formatted and installed windows. Updated and replaced it in the original computer. Wouldn't boot pass verifying DMI pool... went to safe mode and won't go pass gagp30kx.sys If you go to normal windows... it's a blank screen for more than an hour.

Original has a p3 processor and I've noticed that the fan sticks
I have only hooked up the KVM and still the same. Replaced ram, still nothing. Hooked up a pc analyzer...and code 23 for award bios comes up. The booklet says Enable slots 3:initalize slot 3:Test protective mode.
Put the harddrive back into another computer and works just fine.
Any ideas??

You can't install Windows on one computer and then transplant the drive into another computer. You have to install Windows with the drive in the computer you're actually going to use.

ChiefsLV
11-05-2006, 01:24 PM
You can't install Windows on one computer and then transplant the drive into another computer. You have to install Windows with the drive in the computer you're actually going to use.

Or...

Install on different computer, transfer the drive to the original computer, then boot off the windows XP CD on the original computer and repair the installation.

Simplex3
11-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Generally when you have a bad CPU the machine won't even POST.

CrazyPhuD
11-05-2006, 04:22 PM
There are a couple options here.

If the cpu fan has failed you may not be properly cooling the CPU. If the CPU gets too hot it'll lock up, however it will take some time to heat up before, it may be that it takes until that file is being loaded to overheat and lock up. Can you boot from a CDROM? If you can boot from a CDROM(i.e. the winXP CD) then it probably isn't the CPU.

In this case it probably is the drive. If it is the drive what may be the case is that you have a few bad sectors on that drive and those bad sectors will prevent you from reading certain files. Since the whole drive isn't dead you can still read and write to it for the majority of files. One thing you can do is plug the drive back into the other computer and scan for errors.

chiefwidow
11-05-2006, 07:18 PM
I can put the drive in the installing computer and it works just fine. I can't even get the original computer to boot from CD.... to install from that computer. Going to swap out CD Roms and hopefully that will help.
Thanks for all the help!

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 07:41 AM
gagp30kx.sys looks like something to do with video (AGP)?

Like simplex said, if the CPU had a problem, it probably wouldn't even post.

Fish
11-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Do you have a VIA motherboard?

chiefwidow
11-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Not sure what motherboard it is, getting to old to see the writing. I formatted the harddrive even started with a fresh one to install windows. Installed a CDrom I know that works. Even installed a video card. Same thing can't even get it to boot to CD.
What I can tell you about the motherboard is... bios shows it as a pentium III @550E MHZ. Bios are Award from 1989-1999 Has a two CPU slots or no CPU cause the socket 370 has nothing on it. Didn't know if P3 came out with a dual processor motherboard.
When you go to bios boot order.... first showing is Floppy, HDD-0 then SCSI....
I switched it to CD then hdd.....
First screen shows up it finding IDE's... then down to IRQ's with SMBus and multimedia sharing IRQ's...Then verify's DMI pool and stops....

DaFace
11-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Does there seem to be any variability, or does it stop every single time it reaches "verifying dmi pool"?

You might also try switching out your memory with another PC if you have that option available. Faulty memory can cause a huge variety of problems.

DaFace
11-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Here are a couple resources that might help:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/win98/verify_dmi_data.htm

Fish
11-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Hooked up a pc analyzer...and code 23 for award bios comes up. The booklet says Enable slots 3:initalize slot 3:Test protective mode.

This is kinda confusing, and sounds like maybe the BIOS isn't configured correctly. Or something in slot 3 has hardware issues. Have you tried taking out all the cards except the video card, and removing all but one stick of RAM? Or have you tried different CD-ROMs?

went to safe mode and won't go pass gagp30kx.sys

This is a file specifically for VIA motherboards. It's something to do with CPU->AGP transfer. Otherwise it would load an agp440.sys file. It could be that the system you installed XP on had a VIA motherboad, so Windows loaded the gagp30kx.sys file. And when you put the HD back into the broken PC, it hangs cause it's a different motherboard. Without using sysprep, you can't expect to be able to swap out an installed copy of XP to a different computer.

I would focus on getting the broken computer working so that XP can be loaded fresh from it. Could you load a Win98 startup floppy and enable CD-ROM support and copy the install files from the XP install CD to the HD and run setup directly from the HD?

chiefwidow
11-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks DaFace....after reading your links, I'm beginning to think it is the bios.....Only video there was, is on the motherboard. I added a PCI one with no change. I switched and swapped all Dimms I had. Got beeped at and when it didn't... I left them and switched them around. Far as I know they all could be bad. No working computers around here use that kind. Don't know the make to find a manual to see if jumpers are correct.
Thanks anyways!!

wolfpack0735
11-08-2006, 09:59 AM
I've had the similar problem... but now I can't get any kind of video. Could motherboard have anything to do with this... slowly shutting down? But kids were working fine... now they are without video, but thier sound went out a few months back and I haven't been even able to get a sound card to work on it. Going to install a new motherboard and see... if anything to get them off my computer to listen to thier music!

morphius
11-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Generally when you have a bad CPU the machine won't even POST.
Or the computer will freeze randomly.