PDA

View Full Version : Losing Faith In Dante Every Game

petegz28
11-05-2006, 12:52 PM
WTF is up with him?

I think he spends too much time being a receiver and not enough focusing on returns.

Either way we can get this kind of play out of anyone

recxjake
11-05-2006, 12:56 PM
you are an idiot.

Basileus777
11-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Dante Hall's 15 second returns that end up going for -1 yard are fun to watch.

GoHuge
11-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Dante Hall's 15 second returns that end up going for -1 yard are fun to watch.I'm just holding my breathe every time he starts running backwards.

Bwana
11-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Dante Hall's 15 second returns that end up going for -1 yard are fun to watch.

*Snicker* I don't know about fun, but interesting and pointless.

leviw
11-05-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm just holding my breathe every time he starts running backwards.

His most notorious touchdown return ever came after he started going backwards.

petegz28
11-05-2006, 03:10 PM
His most notorious touchdown return ever came after he started going backwards.

Yeah..those happen how often?

He does better whn he just runs foward

Cochise
11-05-2006, 03:12 PM
:rolleyes:

rocks
11-05-2006, 03:13 PM
He has not returned well at all. Sorry to say but IMO he has lost it. Try Webb and see what happens.

chiefbowe82
11-05-2006, 03:13 PM
They really should limit him to punt returns

leviw
11-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Yeah..those happen how often?

He does better whn he just runs foward

What do you want from him?

A TD return every week?

L.A. Chieffan
11-05-2006, 03:15 PM
is that too much to ask? :)

DaWolf
Dante will be fine, he's a proven playmaker...

petegz28
They really should limit him to punt returns

Just get him out of the offense..punt returns and kick returns fine. But I think he gets too beat up and lacks focus when he is involved with the offense too much

petegz28
11-05-2006, 03:17 PM

A TD return every week?

Consistent retruns of 20-30 yards would be fine.

That is 20-30 yards FORWARD not sideways

carlos3652
11-05-2006, 03:42 PM
He averages 22 yds per kickoff... and he is #5 in the NFL in Punt returns with a 11.7 yds per return...

My goodness... throw him under a bus since he only had 1td this year...

jspchief
11-05-2006, 03:45 PM
He averages 22 yds per kickoff... and he is #5 in the NFL in Punt returns with a 11.7 yds per return...

My goodness... throw him under a bus since he only had 1td this year...And he's had a lot of returns negated by penalties, including that 50 yarder last week.

Basileus777
11-05-2006, 03:49 PM
And he's had a lot of returns negated by penalties, including that 50 yarder last week.

Thats true for alot of returners, its not something unique to Dante.

L.A. Chieffan
11-05-2006, 03:50 PM
i would like to see webb maybe get a little work. I think dante's lost his burst

carlos3652
11-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Thats true for alot of returners, its not something unique to Dante.

ok, that doesnt negate the fact that he is still producing... people are out of there mind by saying he has lost his burst... for all those -1 yards-5 yards pickups (20-30 yds left and right)... he makes up for it...

petegz28
11-05-2006, 03:51 PM
And he's had a lot of returns negated by penalties, including that 50 yarder last week.

Of course he only got the 50 yards because of the penalty.

carlos3652
11-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Consistent retruns of 20-30 yards would be fine.

That is 20-30 yards FORWARD not sideways

Thats what he does... check the stats...

leviw
11-05-2006, 03:53 PM
i would like to see webb maybe get a little work. I think dante's lost his burst

This is stupid. This thread comes up after every game. Fans were spoiled in 2003, witnessing the best stretch by any returner in NFL history.

It won't ever happen again, but he's still an elite returner.

Tinlar
11-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Most rats wait for the ship to take on water before jumping overboard...

petegz28
11-05-2006, 03:54 PM
This is stupid. This thread comes up after every game. Fans were spoiled in 2003, witnessing the best stretch by any returner in NFL history.

I still think he gets too beat up being in the offnse too much. He does better when he plays less on ofense I think.

carlos3652
11-05-2006, 03:56 PM
There is only 2 players with more tds in the return game... geez if people look at the stats it would save a lot of energy...

leviw
11-05-2006, 03:57 PM
I still think he gets too beat up being in the offnse too much. He does better when he plays less on ofense I think.

Well then find a proven, consistent thrid and fourth receiver, and problem solved.

L.A. Chieffan
11-05-2006, 03:57 PM

it was a joke. pills are GOOOD

carlos3652
11-05-2006, 03:58 PM
WTF is up with him?

I think he spends too much time being a receiver and not enough focusing on returns.

Either way we can get this kind of play out of anyone

I agree that he might spend too much time on the offense... but the rest of your comment is :shake:

leviw
11-05-2006, 04:01 PM
it was a joke. pills are GOOOD

Umm...ok.

ClevelandChief
11-05-2006, 04:02 PM
all of you that are complaining need to change your tampons, bunch of women always wanting something to complain about. 2 games over .500 midway through the season and you're whining because Dante doesn't return every kick for a touchdown?

petegz28
11-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Well then find a proven, consistent thrid and fourth receiver, and problem solved.

I'd like to see Webb in there personally. You want to run Hall as a #4 fine. But we need a slot guy that can go over the middle

Sure-Oz
11-05-2006, 04:25 PM
He returned one awesome return when he went backwards. Since then he thinks he can do that all the damn time, sorry it don't happen. He needs to focus going upfield and straight not ****in sideways or backwards. You think the bastard would listen to his mom, who told him to just go straight on through like he used to.

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 08:47 PM
all of you that are complaining need to change your tampons, bunch of women always wanting something to complain about. 2 games over .500 midway through the season and you're whining because Dante doesn't return every kick for a touchdown?

Hey n00b..I'll be your Huckleberry....show me what Dante has done for this team this year....

I'll tell you what he hasn't done...and it isn't even the lack of a Return TD. It's that he has cost this team YARDS!!!!! Dante has spent more time running horizontally than he has vertically....

Act horrified all you want, but quite frankly Dante has lost it.

mmaddog

KcMizzou
11-05-2006, 08:48 PM
I'll tell you what he hasn't done...and it isn't even the lack of a Return TD.Good, because... he's done that.

Adept Havelock
11-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Dante is having some issues, but the wedge in front of him isn't helping things, IMO.

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 08:50 PM

My goodness... throw him under a bus since he only had 1td this year...

Sorry...but being 5th in the league with 11 yards per return isn't all that impressive. And as for 22 yards per KO return, that isn't impressive either considering he gets to the 10 yard line before anyone gets close to him.

I'm not throwing him under the bus for having only 1 TD...I'm throwing him there because he's too busy juking to do what he used to do best.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Good, because... he's done that.

I realize that he isn't going to get a TD everytime he touches the ball. But I would like him to realize that the good returner runs vertically, not horizontally.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 08:54 PM
you are an idiot.

Great rebuttal....how about something of substance. Otherwise, "you're and idiot"...(CP spelling)

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 08:55 PM

A TD return every week?

Positive yardage when the team needs it....not juking around trying to relive history.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Dante will be fine, he's a proven playmaker...

He's not a "proven playmaker" lately...

mmaddog

carlos3652
11-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Sorry...but being 5th in the league with 11 yards per return isn't all that impressive. And as for 22 yards per KO return, that isn't impressive either considering he gets to the 10 yard line before anyone gets close to him.

I'm not throwing him under the bus for having only 1 TD...I'm throwing him there because he's too busy juking to do what he used to do best.

mmaddog

I guess when the #1 punt returner is having a 14 yds per return, thats a huge difference.... :rolleyes:

He has to juke because the people in front of him arent creating the lanes... and then he tries to do something... also, I've heard that teams now have a "soft" return making it harder for him to break out like he did in 03...

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 09:00 PM

Last time I checked 2003 was 3 seasons ago....and he has gone downhill ever since. Some of it is the fact that the talent he had with him has disappeared...but it is just as much the eroding of his skills.

mmaddog

milkman
11-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Great rebuttal....how about something of substance. Otherwise, "you're and idiot"...(CP spelling)

mmaddog

It's "Your and idiot"

Damn lurkers! :)

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 09:03 PM
I guess when the #1 punt returner is having a 14 yds per return, thats a huge difference.... :rolleyes:

He has to juke because the people in front of him arent creating the lanes... and then he tries to do something... also, I've heard that teams now have a "soft" return making it harder for him to break out like he did in 03...

And you're impressed with the #1 having an average of 14 yards? :shake: ROFL

Juking doesn't do anything but allow everyone to catch up to you. And that "soft" return talk is urban legend.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 09:04 PM
It's "Your and idiot"

Damn lurkers! :)

I stand corrected.... :banghead:

Thanks milkman.....I'm losing my burst...

mmaddog

Gaz
11-05-2006, 09:05 PM
I had the same discussion with the lovely Mrs Gaz whilst we watched the TiVo’ed game.

Dante is going to break one once in a while. Do you forbid him from running backwards [and risking a loss a yardage] or do you realize that he is going to lose yardage on occasion and accept that as a cost of doing business?

Personally [even though I rage frothingly when he loses yards], I am willing to accept the occasional loss of yardage for the possibility of a BIG return. If, at some time in the future, it becomes evident that Dante is more of liability than an asset, I quietly retire his @ss and put Webb in as kick returner.

Until that time, Dante has license to lose a yard or two on the return in exchange for the possible return on my investment should he break one wide open.

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking the good with the bad…

carlos3652
11-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Last time I checked 2003 was 3 seasons ago....and he has gone downhill ever since. Some of it is the fact that the talent he had with him has disappeared...but it is just as much the eroding of his skills.

mmaddog

Umm 2003 was incredible... he broke NFL records, no one has come close to repeat that... and he or anyone for that matter would have a hard time doing that ever again...

We have also had to use him in our freaking offense because we have no WR's... If I remember correctly he had over 100+ plays for him in 2004 with the DV offense in that playbook...

Gravedigger
11-05-2006, 09:06 PM
He dances around too much he tries to be Barry Sanders but IMO Jeff Webb could do a better job of just running through the damn wedge. He was so popular that ONE year where he tied for 4 returns for TD's in one season but he hasn't gotten close since then.

Randy Moser
11-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Very good point. Actually, he's spoiled us. He hasn't had the fumble problem that he's been showing over the last few years which to me, says he's concentrating better. He's still a top 5 field position return guy and to me still shows burst signs. No...right now, he's now doing what he did a few years ago.

Randy Moser
11-05-2006, 09:09 PM
But still, he's productive.

Simply Red
11-05-2006, 09:12 PM
He is indecisive quite a bit.

ChiTown
11-05-2006, 09:13 PM
..I'm losing my burst...

mmaddog

As if you ever had one. Please!

What's your 40 time?

carlos3652
11-05-2006, 09:14 PM
He dances around too much he tries to be Barry Sanders but IMO Jeff Webb could do a better job of just running through the damn wedge. He was so popular that ONE year where he tied for 4 returns for TD's in one season but he hasn't gotten close since then.

Webb had what, 1, 2 good returns... so lets throw dante under the bus... man,

Not only do we have Huard/Green controversy (sp?)... now we have Dante/Webb contraversy (sp?)... :rolleyes:

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 09:14 PM
I had the same discussion with the lovely Mrs Gaz whilst we watched the TiVo’ed game.

Dante is going to break one once in a while. Do you forbid him from running backwards [and risking a loss a yardage] or do you realize that he is going to lose yardage on occasion and accept that as a cost of doing business?

Personally [even though I rage frothingly when he loses yards], I am willing to accept the occasional loss of yardage for the possibility of a BIG return. If, at some time in the future, it becomes evident that Dante is more of liability than an asset, I quietly retire his @ss and put Webb in as kick returner.

Until that time, Dante has license to lose a yard or two on the return in exchange for the possible return on my investment should he break one wide open.

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking the good with the bad…

Gaz:

I was wondering when you would come out of hiding.....I was assuming you were too giddy at this new defense and not wanting to jinx it.

It's just my opinion, but I think Dante has already become a liability....he spends way too much time juking and running backwards. The times he has been successful this year he has hit the hole and kept running.

Once again, I'm not looking for TD's every time he touches the ball, just some consistency.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 09:17 PM
As if you ever had one. Please!

What's your 40 time?

Are we talking 40 to the dinner table...or 40 to the photo shoot of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue?

mmaddog

Randy Moser
11-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Let's take a vote....Dante has to run for 15 positive yards, then is given license to juke or whatever.......MAN LAW?

carlos3652
11-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Gaz:

I was wondering when you would come out of hiding.....I was assuming you were too giddy at this new defense and not wanting to jinx it.

It's just my opinion, but I think Dante has already become a liability....he spends way too much time juking and running backwards. The times he has been successful this year he has hit the hole and kept running.

Once again, I'm not looking for TD's every time he touches the ball, just some consistency.

mmaddog

So what do you want his average to be on Punt returns and KO's?

He had one really bad game this year... as long as he doesnt turn the ball over, if he gets negative yardage, but breaks to have 40-50 yd gains as well... its all good with me...

when he becomes a liability and turns the ball over, or consistenly gets less than 20 yds on KO and less than 5 yds on punts... and 0 tds... fine... replace him... until then...

carlos3652
11-05-2006, 09:21 PM
dog... do you have me on iggy? just wondering... hope I didnt piss you off sometime in the past?

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Let's take a vote....Dante has to run for 15 positive yards, then is given license to juke or whatever.......MAN LAW?

LOL....for a n00b that's pretty funny. ROFL

mmaddog

ChiTown
11-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Are we talking 40 to the dinner table...or 40 to the photo shoot of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue?

mmaddog

I was thinking more like how long it takes you to leave your recliner during a timeout of a Chiefs game, throw a wiz and get back...........without peeing on yourself.

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 09:25 PM
dog... do you have me on iggy? just wondering... hope I didnt piss you off sometime in the past?

Carlos.....there are only 2 or 3 people who I have ever put on iggy, although Hootie is bordering on heading there too.

Nah...you didn't piss me off....I see our discussion as one of distinct opinions. I figure not everyone is going to agree with me...and I am wrong just as many times as I am right.

If I came across as pissed....it was not my intent. :toast:

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 09:26 PM
I was thinking more like how long it takes you to leave your recliner during a timeout of a Chiefs game, throw a wiz and get back...........without peeing on yourself.

Haven't had to time myself for that since I bought me some Depends.

mmaddog

ChiTown
11-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Haven't had to time myself for that since I bought me some Depends.

mmaddog

I hate quitters...........

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 09:32 PM
IMO, the whole point of Dante at the KR position is the [I am SO sorry to drag this cliché out] is the X-Factor he brings to the party.

Despite the Predominantly Orange wails of “block in the back,” Dante brings a HUGE upside to kickoff/punt returns that eclipses what Webb brings to the mix. Sure, Dante is going to lose a couple of yards now and again, but that is cost of doing business, IMO. On the other hand, the losses he brings to the kick/punt return business is minimal compared to the psychological impact of a big return [even when it is brought back by a penalty, as is too often the case]. IMO, the psychological impact of a MAJOR LEAGUE KICK RETURNER offsets the occasional lost yardage on a kick/punt return.

Rest assured that when Dante becomes a [I]bone fide[/] liability to the team, I will howl just as loudly for his head and for Webb to take over kick return duties.

At this point, however, I find that call to be premature.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water [at least not yet].

Gaz:

But do you really think that they respect Dante any more? I think teams aren't afraid of him like they used to be. In fact, the kicks to the corner do cut out some of his effectiveness.

mmaddog

Gaz
11-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Gaz:

mmaddog

IMO, the whole point of Dante at the KR position is the is the X-Factor he brings to the party.

Despite the Predominantly Orange wails of “block in the back,” Dante brings a HUGE upside to kickoff/punt returns that eclipses what Webb brings to the mix. Sure, Dante is going to lose a couple of yards now and again, but that is cost of doing business, IMO. On the other hand, the losses he brings to the kick/punt return business is minimal compared to the psychological impact of a big return [even when it is brought back by a penalty, as is too often the case]. IMO, the psychological impact of a MAJOR LEAGUE KICK RETURNER offsets the occasional lost yardage on a kick/punt return.

Rest assured that when Dante becomes a [I]bone fide liability to the team, I will howl just as loudly for his head and for Webb to take over kick return duties.

At this point, however, I find that call to be premature.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water [at least not yet].

Gaz
11-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Gaz:

But do you really think that they respect Dante any more? I think teams aren't afraid of him like they used to be. In fact, the kicks to the corner do cut out some of his effectiveness.

mmaddog

Seems to me that the fact that they kick to the corner is de facto proof of the fact that they “fear” him.

xoxo~
Gaz
Holds this truth to be self-evident.

Gaz
11-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Wow.

I really messed up the formatting, didn’t I?

xoxo~
Gaz
Clumsy clod.

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Seems to me that the fact that they kick to the corner is de facto proof of the fact that they “fear” him.

xoxo~
Gaz
Holds this truth to be self-evident.

gaz

But everyone is starting to kick to the corner not just on Dante but several others....it cuts off half of the field.

It's JMO...but I think Dante has "lost his burst"...

mmaddog

carlos3652
11-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Carlos.....there are only 2 or 3 people who I have ever put on iggy, although Hootie is bordering on heading there too.

Nah...you didn't piss me off....I see our discussion as one of distinct opinions. I figure not everyone is going to agree with me...and I am wrong just as many times as I am right.

If I came across as pissed....it was not my intent. :toast:

mmaddog

Ok, I just wanted to make sure... You have been on here from from the start, and I value your opinion on a lot of subjects... you just never know if you are on iggy by pissing people off... (i know you weren't mad because of this thread, but I didnt know if I had pissed you off in the past...) You didnt come across pissed on this thread... :)

Mosbonian
11-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Wow.

I really messed up the formatting, didn’t I?

xoxo~
Gaz
Clumsy clod.

I think you are giddy from watching our Defense rise from the ashes.

mmaddog

Drew
11-05-2006, 09:41 PM
they miss gary stills

Mecca
11-05-2006, 09:43 PM

They need to find a 2nd one before a 3rd and 4th one.......

Gaz
11-05-2006, 09:43 PM
I think you are giddy from watching our Defense rise from the ashes.

mmaddog

That was a thing of joy, was it not?

xoxo~
Gaz
Afterglowing and needing a cigarette [even though he doesn't even smoke].

milkman
11-05-2006, 09:47 PM
they miss gary stills

They've been missing Stills since '04.

Direckshun
11-05-2006, 09:53 PM
There was a gorgeous play when we were backed up in our own endzone where Solari called for Huard to throw a quick dart to Dante on the side. One receiver came across and landed one block.

Dante gets the ball with a blocker in the open field. Only good things can happen. He gained ten+ yards and a first down.

I'd like to see Solari work more of these plays in. He's an inconsistent returner but a proven playmaker, and he can ignite a team with his talent in the open field.

There is simply no substitute for the guts and electricity Dante brings to the Chiefs. I always think it's an asset we could exploit more.

Gaz
11-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Good night, y’all.

I have to be at work at 07:00 tomorrow [I have a class and get to sleep in an extra hour in the morning...WOO HOO!] and must go to bed.

Great win, IMO. We beat a potent Offense mostly by the effort of our Defense. What more could a long-time Chiefs fan ask, eh?

xoxo~
Gaz
Has not been able to say that for a long, LONG time.

KCBOSS1
11-05-2006, 09:58 PM
LOL....for a n00b that's pretty funny. ROFL

mmaddog

Actually, I'm not a noob, I just logged in under the first name that I registered under over a year ago. I've never logged out and forgot my password. Now that's more like a noob, eh?

TRR
11-05-2006, 10:15 PM
I knew this was going to be a hot topic when he ran backwards on the punt return today. I'm with Gaz in that a lot of Hall's success comes with the change of direction. He WILL bust a couple of big returns the same way he lost yardage today. As someone said earlier, that is how his biggest return happened against Denver.

As long as Hall isn't putting the ball on the turf, I definitely wouldn't sub in Webb for one of the best returners in the game. He is definitely NOT a liability in the return game. He just hasn't broken the big one yet, at a crucial time.

I know everyone on this board thought about a returned TD when he cut back, and made the first guy miss. If he slipped the next tackle, he may have been gone.