PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Gunther working in his laboratory again...

Count Zarth
11-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Did anyone see Allen's first sack?

The Chiefs lined up in his weird-ass formation with Allen and Hali RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER on the left side of the D-line. It worked. Heh.

Props to Gunther. He called a good game today.

ChiefsFanatic
11-05-2006, 02:41 PM

The Chiefs lined up in his weird-ass formation with Allen and Hali RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER on the left side of the D-line. It worked. Heh.

I don't know what the final stats are, but it seemed like the D was on the field all day long. So, only giving up 17 points wasn't bad.

DaWolf
11-05-2006, 02:42 PM
This was the same Gunter whose defense couldn't stop the forward pass and allowed 133 rushing on 13 carries by Steven Jackson?

Same old Gunther, living and dying by the big play.

Major props to the Lambs for shooting themselves in the foot and getting Gunther off the hook...

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-05-2006, 02:42 PM

Eggggh...

Allen was all over the place, wreaking havoc and our players were stripping and falling on loose balls. Our blitzes were still too predictable (save for Wesley's one shot), and we gave up huge yardage in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

I think our players did well today, but we continue to have horrible safety play which allows us to get gashed over the deep middle.

Count Zarth
11-05-2006, 02:44 PM
This was the same Gunter whose defense couldn't stop the forward pass and allowed 133 rushing on 13 carries by Steven Jackson?

Major props to the Lambs for shooting themselves in the foot and getting Gunther off the hook...

I don't think you realize how good that offense is. You have to pick your poision with these guys.

I'll take 17 points on the road any day.

Count Zarth
11-05-2006, 02:45 PM
The other thing....he was missing two of his best playmakers for huge chunks of the game. DJ and Hali's injuries didn't help at all.

I'm giving credit where it's due.

BigRock
11-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Holding the Rams to 17 on the road is impressive. Doing it with injuries to DJ, Hali, and Wesley is downright amazing.

ChiefsFanatic
11-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Holding the Rams to 17 on the road is impressive. Doing it with injuries to DJ, Hali, and Wesley is downright amazing.

And think about the start of the third quarter. 3 posessions and 11 plays for the offense. That is ridiculous.

Direckshun
11-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Brilliant, patient playcalling by Cunningham.

Patiently denying the big play all game, allowing the Rams to chew up those countless 7-to-10 yard gains. Bulger took them all day and ignored tossing it down the field for the most part.

Great defense today, all things considered. A deserved win.

7-3, baby! It can be done!

DaWolf
11-05-2006, 02:50 PM
I don't think you realize how good that offense is. You have to pick your poision with these guys.

I'll take 17 points on the road any day.

Believe me, it's nice to only give up 17, but they were moving it up and down the field in the 2nd half, and if they didn't hurt themselves with some penalties, it could have been worse. 28 first downs, 460 total yards, 72 plays, that's the same stuff we've been seeing here for the last 6 years...

Anyong Bluth
11-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Don't know how you can sh!t out Gun on this one... you lose that many guys and only give up 17 to a top O on the road... = you're just being a dick and refuse to give credit

beer bacon
11-05-2006, 02:51 PM

Steven Jackson - 19 carries for 86 yards. Get your facts straight before you spout off.

Also, the Rams could not move the ball on the ground at all until after we got a big lead and half our starting defense got hurt.

beer bacon
11-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Don't know how you can sh!t out Gun on this one... you lose that many guys and only give up 17 to a top O on the road... = you're just being a dick and refuse to give credit

Kris Griffin, Hicks, Pollard, and Page all out on the field we only gave up 17 points. FU Gunther!! :cuss:

Also, Hicks is still incredibly. He had an easy cleanup sack on Bulger, and Bulger juked him out of his jock.

milkman
11-05-2006, 02:52 PM
What was the TOP in this game?

Had to be close to 2:1 in favor of the Rams.

The early turnovers cost the Rams this game.

Gunt didn't do anything that won this game defensively.

KurtCobain
11-05-2006, 02:53 PM
gunther is the man

Bob Dole
I don't know what the final stats are, but it seemed like the D was on the field all day long. So, only giving up 17 points wasn't bad.

The Rams ran 79 plays.

Count Zarth
The gameplan was to make Bulger throw it short all day long. It worked.

Count Zarth
11-05-2006, 02:54 PM
The Rams ran 79 plays.

BINGO.

Our offense strung the D out to dry several times.

DaWolf
Steven Jackson - 19 carries for 86 yards. Get your facts straight before you spout off.
Sorry, those were his recieving stats. Which doesn't really make it much better...

beer bacon
The gameplan was to make Bulger throw it short all day long. It worked.

Argh we gave up 17 points with multiple starters and two of our best defenders out for most of the game!!

Fruit Ninja

I'll take 17 points on the road any day.yep, i agree, i think the Safties did well, they never had a pass that beat them, THey kept everything in front of them, thats what you do in a cover 2. When your Dline gives you 5 seconds to throw the ball. Someone is ging to be open up the middle.

Count Zarth
What was the TOP in this game?

We only had the ball for 25 minutes.

DaWolf
11-05-2006, 02:55 PM
BINGO.

St Huard? How could he do such a thing?

How bout the defense actually forcing a 3 and out and getting the offense back on the field?

beer bacon
11-05-2006, 02:55 PM
BINGO.

The offensive playcalling for most of the second half hung our defense out to dry - 11 plays, 3 punts, and 0 points.

ChiefsFanatic
11-05-2006, 02:56 PM
The Rams ran 79 plays.

That is insane. wonder when the last time a team had that many offensive plays.

ChiefsFanatic
We only had the ball for 25 minutes.

It really seemed more lopsided than that.

Fruit Ninja
giving up 17points to The Rams in ST louis, i would take that every single time.

Count Zarth
Argh we gave up 17 points with multiple starters and two of our best defenders out for most of the game!!

Heck, we were ranked 9th but giving up over 20 points a game due to turnovers.

I'll take the opposite any day.

stevieray
Sorry, those were his recieving stats. Which doesn't really make it much better...

He caught 19 passes?

beer bacon

How bout the defense actually forcing a 3 and out and getting the offense back on the field?

I know man, our defense let the Rams move the ball in the air in St. Louis. Welcome back career day defense!!

ChiefsFanatic
11-05-2006, 02:58 PM
He caught 19 passes?

It was 13 for 133. I didn't realize that he had that many catches or yards, but I bet a lot of it was in the last couple of drives.

DaWolf
11-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Guys, you can be satisfied with this all you want. All I've been asking for the last five years is a defense that will get other teams off the field, IE a strong defense, not Gunther's typical bend but don't break defenses which I am all too familiar with. Cause sometimes teams don't break, and that causes us to break.

But props to the guys, we won...

chiefbowe82
11-05-2006, 03:00 PM
gunther needs to stop calling the soft zones to let them drive down the field and make the game way scarier then it needed to be

beer bacon
11-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Guys, you can be satisfied with this all you want. All I've been asking for the last five years is a defense that will get other teams off the field, IE a strong defense, not Gunther's typical bend but don't break defenses which I am all too familiar with. Cause sometimes teams don't break, and that causes us to break.

I am asking for you to stop shitting all over a 31-17 win against a winning team in their own house. Also a win with our backup QB starting, where our best O-linemen, best LB, second best D-linemen, and plenty of other players got injured.

ChiefsFanatic
11-05-2006, 03:02 PM
gunther needs to stop calling the soft zones to let them drive down the field and make the game way scarier then it needed to be

Yeah, if he could just run a defense that the head coach didn't approve or want, then he would be a great defensive coordinator.

He has to run the type of defense Herm wants.

beer bacon
11-05-2006, 03:04 PM
At the end of the game we had Kris Griffin out there getting stops, Page and Pollard stoppng the Rams from converting a 4th and goal, and Hicks falling on his ass when he should have an easy cleanup sack. Way to win with all you've got Gunther.

Fruit Ninja
11-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Welcome to the Cover 2 defense with a crappy Dlinel

DaWolf
11-05-2006, 03:05 PM
I am asking for you to stop shitting all over a 31-17 win against a winning team in their own house.

Yeah, cause that's what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

I'm just not going to start handing out props to ever single person or coach on this team just because we won. I'm thinking long term here, I'm thinking what it will take for us to get to the playoffs and win a superbowl, not beating the Lambs in St. Loser. Major props to Herm Edwards on this game, but I'm not seeing anything out there yet this year that's making me think keeping Gunther is really paying much in terms of dividends. We need a helluva lot more improvement...

stevieray
11-05-2006, 03:06 PM
style points are important when you've won your first road game against a winning team in nov/dec since 1998.

it doesn't have to be pretty to work.

beer bacon
11-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Yeah, cause that's what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

I'm just not going to start handing out props to ever single person or coach on this team just because we won. I'm thinking long term here, I'm thinking what it will take for us to get to the playoffs and win a superbowl, not beating the Lambs in St. Loser. Major props to Herm Edwards on this game, but I'm not seeing anything out there yet this year that's making me think keeping Gunther is really paying much in terms of dividends. We need a helluva lot more improvement...

If only we could do stuff like holding elite offenses to less then 20 points in their own house, even when half of our starters are out of the game to due to injury. Now that would be a good defense.

Count Zarth
11-05-2006, 03:07 PM

We've been getting guys off the field up until today, for the most part. We had to get a little more conservative this week, or risk giving up huge gains. That offense is scary.

BTW, St. Louis was 4 out of 11 on third down. That's what I call getting off the field.

Rausch
11-05-2006, 03:09 PM
style points are important when you've won your first road game against a winning team in nov/dec since 1998.

it doesn't have to be pretty to work.

Silly n00b.

What's important is the way you win, when you call passing plays, how much your team looks like the one run by DV/Marty, and if your team is sexy or not.

Wins are secondary...

beer bacon
11-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Silly n00b.

What's important is the way you win, when you call passing plays, how much your team looks like the one run by DV/Marty, and if your team is sexy or not.

Wins are secondary...

I just hope that at the end of the regular season when they divide yards given up per game by total wins to the Nth* power, we are still near the top so we can finally make the playoffs again.

*N = style points

DaWolf
11-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Guys, look, I love the fact that we won this game, I love the fact that we are winning the games the way we are, because this is what Herm Edwards football is, and I think we are a much grittier team because of it.

This is not about being sexy or winning a certain way. This is about certain standards that should be expected. You think Bill Bellichik sits around making excuses when he has to play wide recievers at cornerback and is still shutting teams down?

I highly doubt that Gunther is satisfied with the standard of defense we've been playing, and I certainly am not. If you are, great. Let me know how we're gonna do in January...

the Talking Can
11-05-2006, 03:16 PM
BINGO.

Huard has never strung out a D...YOU LIE

the Talking Can
11-05-2006, 03:17 PM
I think our safties are the suck.

The biggest weakness on our team, even more than the OL.

If our CBs make a mistake there is never any help.

FringeNC
11-05-2006, 03:32 PM
The defense sucked today. Recovering fumbles is pure luck. Statistically speaking, a team recovers about 50%. There were four fumbles in the game, and we got all four. That's the big reason we won today.

Luck plays a large role in close games. We had bad luck in Denver, and good luck today.

keg in kc
11-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Losing as many players as we did is nothing like "making excuses when he has to play wide receivers at CB and still shutting teams down".

You lose starters before a game, you can adjust the roster to work with it. You lose starters during a game and you're putting lesser players out there and losing depth to give eveyrone a breather. You don't play as well and you wear out faster.

Not an excuse. A fact.

We did well today with what we had to work with. Just like we have throughout the season so far. Good teams find a way to win when they face that kind of adversity, and we did.

End of story.

dj56dt58
11-05-2006, 03:47 PM
We were winning on the road and our gameplan was to make them throw short and avoid the big play that bulger is so accustom to..they fumbled several times on offense because of all the plays they had to run to get yards. that's the purpose of a cover 2..make them throw short passes and hope they make mistakes on the drive rather than give up big plays

Direckshun
11-05-2006, 03:51 PM
The defense sucked today. Recovering fumbles is pure luck. Statistically speaking, a team recovers about 50%. There were four fumbles in the game, and we got all four. That's the big reason we won today.
...What?

We caused three of those fumbles. And they screwed up on their own account, and we didn't do it once.

Yeah, recovering them requires a degree of luck, but you've got to get the ball on the ground in the first place. Talent. Then you've got to hold your own ball, talent.

You're taking credit away unjustly.

ClevelandChief
11-05-2006, 04:13 PM

How about you shutting up. Gunther has pulled his weight fine this year, just because you have a personal vendetta against the man doesn't make you shit.

He's called some good games holding a team to 17 points in their home with the talent the rams have is something to be proud of. And it wasn't because Gun had 7 pro-bowlers on the field like the 90's it's because he changed his schemes to fit his personnel and did so well.

You aren't fit to take a bath in Guns piss.

the Talking Can
11-05-2006, 04:17 PM
You aren't fit to take a bath in Guns piss.

and what makes a person "fit" to bathe in Gun's pee?

Rain Man
11-05-2006, 04:31 PM
The best thing I saw on defense today - other than Jared Allen, of course - was when Gunther called a blitz and also had his CBs playing close to the line of scrimmage. It drives me nuts when we blitz and then have the CBs 8 yards off the line of scrimmage so the QB can safely run a checkoff.

Gaz
11-05-2006, 08:15 PM

Luck plays a large role in close games. We had bad luck in Denver, and good luck today.

I have not been around as much lately [for reasons that need not be expounded in this venue], but this kind of blatant foolishness [I am MUCH too civilized to call it stupidity although it is over-qualified for such an epithet] simply MUST be challenged, lest it take hold and infect reasoned conversation with the fetid stench of complete and utter ignorance.

Feh.

And feh, again.

The Chiefs Defense was awesome [in the correct usage of that term, as in creating awe] today. Not only did they hold Bulger, Bruce, Holt & Curtis to 17 points, but they did it with several starters out of the game. They held the Rams to 17 points and had a totally magnificent goal-line stand to preserve the win.

In addition to those amazing endeavors, they spotted the suddenly somnabulent Chiefs Offense to 17 points.

By any measure, that is a heroic effort and FringeNCís opinion is, by any reasonable measure, blatantly foolish at best.

xoxo~
Gaz
Roused from his stupor to berate ignorance when it rears its ugly, UGLY, head.

Reaper16
11-05-2006, 08:22 PM
I have not been around as much lately [for reasons that need not be expounded in this venue], but this kind of blatant foolishness [I am MUCH too civilized to call it stupidity although it is over-qualified for such an epithet] simply MUST be challenged, lest it take hold and infect reasoned conversation with the fetid stench of compete and utter ignorance.

Feh.

And feh, again.

The Chiefs Defense was awesome [in the correct usage of that term, as in creating awe] today. Not only did they hold Bulger, Bruce, Holt & Curtis to 17 points, but they did it with several starters out of the game. They held the Rams to 17 points and had a totally magnificent goal-line stand to preserve the win.

In addition to those amazing endeavors, they spotted the suddenly somnabulent Chiefs Offense to 17 points.

By any measure, that is a heroic effort and FringeNCís opinion is, by any reasonable measure, blatantly foolish at best.

xoxo~
Gaz
Roused from his stupor to berate ignorance when it rears its ugly, UGLY, head.

IT'S GAZ!

Gaz
11-05-2006, 08:55 PM
IT'S GAZ!

It HAD to be said when such crap is being pawned off as legitimate analysis.

xoxo~
Gaz
Back under his rock.

jidar
11-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Believe me, it's nice to only give up 17, but they were moving it up and down the field in the 2nd half, and if they didn't hurt themselves with some penalties, it could have been worse. 28 first downs, 460 total yards, 72 plays, that's the same stuff we've been seeing here for the last 6 years...

****IN-A IT'S CAPTAIN CLUELESS COMING DOWN FROM CLUELESS TOWN, SPREADING DUMBASSERY ALL AROUND. HOORAY HOORAY FOR THE CLUELESS CLOWN!

Fruit Ninja
11-05-2006, 09:19 PM
****IN-A IT'S CAPTAIN CLUELESS COMING DOWN FROM CLUELESS TOWN, SPREADING DUMBASSERY ALL AROUND. HOORAY HOORAY FOR THE CLUELESS CLOWN!
I am going to steal that one. I heard and like Captain Obvious, But Captain Clueless is a great one too.