PDA

View Full Version : VInce Tobin??

gonzo88
01-12-2001, 04:06 PM
So, what is the scoop on this Vince Tobin guy? Did he used to be a good DC, or what? Any record setting defenses?

AJKCFAN
01-12-2001, 04:12 PM
Vince Tobin:

Chicago D Coordinator Late 1980's

Headed Bears D to at least three playoff appearances (may have also been there for the 1990 & 1991 playoff teams).

1986 Bears team had NFL record for fewest points allowed until Ravens broke the record this year.

Went to Indianapolis. Was Defensive Coordinator with the 1995 Colts team which went to the AFC Championship Game, knocking off the Chiefs along the way.

Became Head Coach of Arizona in 1996. In 1998, coached Cardinals to only playoff appearance in the last 18 seasons and their only playoff win since 1947! Fired midway through the 2000 season.

One more thing. Began coaching career in Philadelphia under Vermeil and Peterson and was on the 1980 Eagles NFC Championship Team.

gonzo88
01-12-2001, 04:23 PM
DC for the 86' Bears, Huh. That doesn't sound to shabby. Sounds like he would be worth a shot.

HC_Chief
01-12-2001, 04:25 PM
He was not the DC in Chicago in 85/86! That was Buddy Ryan.

Cannibal
01-12-2001, 04:27 PM
The 86 Bears D had All World talent.

That doesn't mean Tobin is a bad coordinator, but it's something to consider.

Baby Lee
Buddy was there in 85, but Tobin took over in 86.

gh4chiefs
The KC Star reports that he will be our new DC. His credentials impress me more than Vermeil's. Imagine if somehow we can keep this year's passing offense, add a running game, and have Tobin have a strong impact on our defense.

Looks promising although I realize that's a lot "if's" in there.

DaWolf
01-12-2001, 05:52 PM
Tobin impressed me in '95, and it was a major reason he got the HC job in Zona. Should be a good pickup, major major major improvement over Kurt.

Wonder if we're going to switch to a 3-4 though...

hawaiianboy
01-12-2001, 06:59 PM
Crap.... good hire.

Chieficus
01-12-2001, 08:37 PM
I'm still not sure exactly whether I should be jumping up and down with the hiring of Vermil, or leaning back in my chair holding a skeptic's pause...

But start with Tobin heading the D, and bring in a good OC...

That would truly be something to get excited about...

Dave Lane
01-13-2001, 12:10 AM
I like it already! Hiring good support staff VERY cool. Of course after the three stooges, I would be an improvement. Add Saunders as OC and lets rock and roll boys! God I'm excited in January, sure didn't think that was going to happen!

alanm
01-13-2001, 07:25 AM
Tobin wasn't the DC for the Bears in 86 it was Ryan. If you remember after their win over the Pats, Ryan was carried off on the shoulders of his Defensive players. Then was hired by Philly as HC shortly thereafter.

Brock
01-13-2001, 08:41 AM
The Bears won the SB in January '86. Ryan left, Tobin took over for the '86 season.

AZChief
01-13-2001, 11:04 AM
Tobin most certainly was the Bears defensive coordinator in 1986 as well as The Colt most responsible for bouncing our '95 squad to the golf courses (The Chiefs most responsible were obviously Elliot and Bono).

Tobin did perform a miracle out here in the dersert. He took the Cards to the playoffs and beat Dallas on the road. If you take away from his accomplishments in '86 because of talent than you should add double for his Arizona accomplishments. The Cardinals are simply horrible from owner to the guy who sews the names on the jerseys (just ask Pitmann! (sic)). Tobin is a great guy, our media affectionately referred to him as Mr. Beige. He's not a great quote but he'll make a fine DC. We were all happy for him when he was allowed to leave.

In addition, when I was preparing to take the bar exam, I bartended. Tobin and his sons (adult) would often come in for a quick bite to eat and a margarita or two. Yes, he's a pretty good tipper. You can learn a lot about a person from the tip they leave! :)

I'd love him in KC.

[Edited by AZChief on 01-13-2001 at 11:08 AM]

AJKCFAN
01-13-2001, 09:46 PM
AZ Chief:

You're the perfect person to ask this question.

With Aeneus Williams and Michael Pittman as free agents this year, how was their relationship with Vince Tobin?

Not that I want to bulk up on Cardinals, but both players could definitely help the Chiefs. Pittman may not be the answer at RB, but I do love the fact that he not only runs, but catches the ball very well. Williams goes without saying as to how great he is...

How about Wadsworth and/or Rice? Did they get along with Tobin too? (Just for future reference)

"37 Forever"

AZChief
01-14-2001, 02:43 AM
Each of those players is really quite different...

A. Williams is a coach's dream. He practices hard, never gets hurt and is an all pro, year in and year out. He's a little undersized and a little old but he is SOLID. Tobin and Williams seemed to have nothing but respect for each other...

M. Pittman was written off for dead after the red birds drafted Thomas Jones. Trust me, there were no Pittman jeresys, shirts, commercials, posters, etc. For all purposes he had no future on the Cards team. His confidence never waned and he always gave 110%...always. He is without a doubt the Card with the biggest heart. He's a player and I'd love to see him in KC just to see what he could do. He's a great guy in a BAD situation (see V. Tobin). I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that Pitt was happy with Tobin considering he was giving the starting TB position around week 3 or 4.

Wadsworth and Rice are both whinners, not to be confused with winners. Rice is the most one dimensional player I've ever seen in my life. The sad thing is he isn't that dominate at the one dimension. Teams run right over the top of him for four quarters. Once every game or so he'll get a sack. He's not as bad as Erica Swann (the most overrated sideliner ever) but he's close. Our Derrick was also a tad weak against the run but he more than mad up for it against the pass. Rice is not close to that league...

Wadsworth, apparently has the pain threshold of Penny Hardaway. I can't tell you I've ever seen him play... When he's on the field he's invisible, however, he's usally wearing a Kenneth Cole "outfit" standing on the sideline. I hope this can all be attributed to his knee injuries but he's looking like another terrible pick in a long line of terrrible first picks (see Tommy Knight). The best thing Wadsworth brought to town was his attractive wife...

AZ

AJKCFAN
01-14-2001, 07:11 PM
AZ Chief:

Thanks for the response!

"37 Forever"