PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Rate my new Friday's SPICY JACK campaign

TinyEvel
11-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Alright, I'm gonna pull a "GoChiefs" here, and put myself out there.
We just created a new ad campaign for TGI Friday's for their SPICY Jack Daniel's grill. We had to get "spicy" across in 15 second TV ads.
We created this character called The Inferno. The goal was to stand out, get attention, say spicy, cut to (mouthwatering) food.

Maybe you've already seen some of the commercials, but there's some fun stuff on the web, including The Inferno's "signature wrestling moves" including my favorites, the "Thank you sirloin, may I have another" and "the bun crusher" and the "Crush-stacean".

Anyway, if you wnat to give a look and tell me if we're smoking crack or did okay. I know, it's no "Wingmaaan".

http://www.fridays.com/inferno_landing.htm

Reaper16
11-05-2006, 10:04 PM
I like them. They communicate the point well; and who doesn't like costumed men talking to shrimp?

Phobia
11-05-2006, 10:17 PM
It's looks pretty good in fast forward. I'll have to make sure I push play the next time through.

L.A. Chieffan
11-05-2006, 10:20 PM
hes kinda like nacho libre or something.
hey made me want to order some hot wings sooo job well done

DaneMcCloud
11-05-2006, 10:26 PM
I saw them several times today during the Chiefs game. I have to say that while I've never eaten at TGIF and a commercial wouldn't influence me to do so, the actor's resemblence to Jack Black was annoying and cliche. That alone would more than likely make me NOT want to eat there. But then again, I've never eaten at Carl's, Jr. because their sloppy, disgusting depictions of people eating so repulsed me that I have vowed never to eat there, under any circumstances. Color me weird about that stuff :)

I'm sure that was the point was to cast a "look-a-like" but it turned me off. I might have paid more attention if the actor had been more "original", for lack of a better word. But they don't pay me the big bucks for advertising and I'm pretty sure you'll hit your target audience.

I do tip my hat to your continued success and good luck with the campaign!

L.A. Chieffan
11-05-2006, 10:32 PM
what i hate is when restaurants claim their whatever is the 'SPICIEST FOOD EVER, IT WILL DESTROY YOUR GRANDCHILDREN'S SPICEBUDS' and then you eat it and it's like.....uhhhh can i get some tapatio or chalula to put on this please?

TinyEvel
11-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I saw them several times today during the Chiefs game. I have to say that while I've never eaten at TGIF and a commercial wouldn't influence me to do so, the actor's resemblence to Jack Black was annoying and cliche. That alone would more than likely make me NOT want to eat there. But then again, I've never eaten at Carl's, Jr. because their sloppy, disgusting depictions of people eating so repulsed me that I have vowed never to eat there, under any circumstances. Color me weird about that stuff :)

I'm sure that was the point was to cast a "look-a-like" but it turned me off. I might have paid more attention if the actor had been more "original", for lack of a better word. But they don't pay me the big bucks for advertising and I'm pretty sure you'll hit your target audience.

I do tip my hat to your continued success and good luck with the campaign!

Thanks, neighbor.
Actually, the point was to NOT cast a look-alike. we were trying to separate ourselves as far as possible from Nacho Libre (though I've never seen the movie). But, you're in "the Biz" aren't you? You go with the best actor. And this guy was the best. He was solid. Great improv comedian. He just so happened to have the dark frizzy hair. No accent, no mask.
Your reaction is valid, though not our intent.
Plus, living out here, I can see how Friday's is not your cup of tea, living within ten minutes of Geisha Bar, Boa, Matsuhisa, etc. etc. etc.

Count Alex's Losses
11-05-2006, 10:48 PM
I thought it was really dumb.

TinyEvel
11-05-2006, 10:50 PM
I thought it was really dumb.

Perfect!

big nasty kcnut
11-05-2006, 11:06 PM
It's was funny but i wish if you wanted to hype the product you could say it's hot wings without the hot waitresses.

blueballs
11-05-2006, 11:33 PM
messing with sasquatch is funny

Demonpenz
11-06-2006, 12:03 AM
you should have just got nacho libre to do it. Sometimes we eat spicey foods it's for fun

Rain Man
11-06-2006, 12:13 AM
But then again, I've never eaten at Carl's, Jr. because their sloppy, disgusting depictions of people eating so repulsed me that I have vowed never to eat there, under any circumstances. Color me weird about that stuff :)

I boycott that place because of those ads, too. Those ads were repugnant and sent across the message that anyone who eats at Carl's, Jr. is an ill-mannered, rude slob. Worst...commercials...ever.

The TGIF ones were well done. Not really my preferred style, but well done.

What do you do, tinyevel?

Thig Lyfe
11-06-2006, 12:16 AM
It's was funny but i wish if you wanted to hype the product you could say it's hot wings without the hot waitresses.

Uh...

What?

TinyEvel
11-06-2006, 12:46 AM
The TGIF ones were well done. Not really my preferred style, but well done.

What do you do, tinyevel?

I'm a copywriter. We come up with the ideas. On TIGF I'm a creative director. I manage teams of creatives who come up with the ideas, sometimes co-write, and pitch to clients.

Sure-Oz
11-06-2006, 12:52 AM
CROWN HIM!

TrickyNicky
11-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Well, they were a little different and memorable. I guess that's all that matters. At least you didn't have a John Mellencamp patriotic song playing over and over. Stuff like that actually makes me hate a company.

Rain Man
11-06-2006, 01:07 AM
I'm a copywriter. We come up with the ideas. On TIGF I'm a creative director. I manage teams of creatives who come up with the ideas, sometimes co-write, and pitch to clients.

It sounds to me like you could use a good focus group company. (Ahem, nudge, nudge.)

Valiant
11-06-2006, 02:14 AM
Alright, I'm gonna pull a "GoChiefs" here, and put myself out there.
We just created a new ad campaign for TGI Friday's for their SPICY Jack Daniel's grill. We had to get "spicy" across in 15 second TV ads.
We created this character called The Inferno. The goal was to stand out, get attention, say spicy, cut to (mouthwatering) food.

Maybe you've already seen some of the commercials, but there's some fun stuff on the web, including The Inferno's "signature wrestling moves" including my favorites, the "Thank you sirloin, may I have another" and "the bun crusher" and the "Crush-stacean".

Anyway, if you wnat to give a look and tell me if we're smoking crack or did okay. I know, it's no "Wingmaaan".

http://www.fridays.com/inferno_landing.htm

My roommates love it, I think it is funny also...

KCChiefsMan
11-06-2006, 02:27 AM
I saw some of these during the Chiefs game. My immediate reaction was that it was stupid. I think it could use some work, honestly. I mean "hey burger! you got a beef with the inferno?" and it appears that he never even took a bite out of the burger, so it's so hot you can't even put the burger within 2 inches of his mouth? that just doesn't appeal to me

Valiant
11-06-2006, 07:37 AM
I saw some of these during the Chiefs game. My immediate reaction was that it was stupid. I think it could use some work, honestly. I mean "hey burger! you got a beef with the inferno?" and it appears that he never even took a bite out of the burger, so it's so hot you can't even put the burger within 2 inches of his mouth? that just doesn't appeal to me

I think it is ironic that you give this discription with a Ali G avatar..

chagrin
11-06-2006, 07:39 AM
I thought it was goofy, but then again I don't have much appreciation for much tv advertising at all anymore. Friday's usually has decent stuff though, on the air.
I should note that I only saw one of them, the wings spot.

nychief
11-06-2006, 07:41 AM
JACK BLACK CALLED - HE WANTS HIS SOUL BACK.

Dartgod
11-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Three words...

A NOY YING!

Saulbadguy
11-06-2006, 08:06 AM
You created that commercial? Negative rep.

stevieray
11-06-2006, 08:07 AM
You need Elvis selling hunka hunka burning wings....

call me..we'll do lunch.

BigRedChief
11-06-2006, 08:12 AM
First time I saw that commercial I thought it was a rip off of Jack Black's movie Nacho Libre.

I use to write ad copy. For you Springfieldians I bet Friendly Ford is still using something I wrote back in 1982....Friendly Ford......"Friendly is our first name"....hey it's 25 years old now. cut me some slack

Ultra Peanut
11-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Well, they were a little different and memorable. I guess that's all that matters. At least you didn't have a John Mellencamp patriotic song playing over and over. Stuff like that actually makes me hate a company.THIS IS OUR INFERNO

burt
11-06-2006, 08:25 AM
THIS IS OUR INFERNO

Is that from "King of the Hill" or "South Park"?

burt
11-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Well, they were a little different and memorable. I guess that's all that matters. At least you didn't have a John Mellencamp patriotic song playing over and over. Stuff like that actually makes me hate a company.

Good, that was our goal....because we hate YOU!!!

jk

chagrin
11-06-2006, 08:47 AM
God I hate that commercial

jspchief
11-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Not a big fan. The concept isn't terrible, but as others have mentioned it comes off as a Jack Black rip-off.. and a bad one at that.

The shrimp one did kind of make me laugh.

Bob Dole
11-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Wee todds need to make a living too.

Bob Dole laughed at the stupidity.

DaneMcCloud
11-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks, neighbor.
Actually, the point was to NOT cast a look-alike. we were trying to separate ourselves as far as possible from Nacho Libre (though I've never seen the movie). But, you're in "the Biz" aren't you? You go with the best actor. And this guy was the best. He was solid. Great improv comedian. He just so happened to have the dark frizzy hair. No accent, no mask.
Your reaction is valid, though not our intent.
Plus, living out here, I can see how Friday's is not your cup of tea, living within ten minutes of Geisha Bar, Boa, Matsuhisa, etc. etc. etc.

I didn't mean it to come across as a slam to TGIF, which definitely has comparable if not better food than similar chains like Appleby's, Chili's, Houlihan's and the like (though in all honesty, I haven't eaten at one since probably 1992).

FTR, the concept didn't turn me off, the actor did. I'm also sure that you know your job and of course, always hire the best actor/actress for the part. And as I said earlier, I'm sure your target audience (which I'm probably not a part of) will get it and enjoy it.

Good luck and continued success!

TinyEvel
11-06-2006, 10:57 AM
no worries. I wasn't trying to start a pissing match. You're pretty accurate in your take.
JB is huge, right now especially.
as much as we tried to separate from him, it's hard to get away from. Just saying it wasn't what we set out for.
we tried to get JB to be the singer in our Wingman spot. after that didn't work out, my partner was bummed. but in retrospect, I'm glad we didn't get him, and it was a success on its own.
understand that subjectivity is a huge part of my job.
if people even notice an ad, youv'e done the job.
people don't hate ads, they hate BAD ads. And so do I.

Ultra Peanut
11-06-2006, 11:06 AM
I just realized who he looks like: the love child of Jack Black and John C. Reilly.

stevieray
11-06-2006, 11:09 AM
"Lord Almighty, I feel my tempature rising...."

BigRedChief
11-06-2006, 11:17 AM
people don't hate ads, they hate BAD ads. And so do I.

UHHHH You have been in the "Biz" too long my man. People hate ads. They "tolerate" funny ones.

Rain Man
11-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Y'know, some focus group testing would be great for these types of ads. (Slyly slides business card across the table.)

Saulbadguy
11-06-2006, 11:22 AM
UHHHH You have been in the "Biz" too long my man. People hate ads. They "tolerate" funny ones.
I don't know about that. People download commercials off the net to watch them w/o watching television. People quote commercials all the time. Alot of our pop culture is tied to commercials.

Hell, millions of people watch the Super Bowl "just for the commercials.."

TinyEvel
11-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Y'know, some focus group testing would be great for these types of ads. (Slyly slides business card across the table.)
Ironically, we're testing some new stuff in KC today.
And well put, Saulbadguy. Glad I didn't have to say it. Almost makes up for the neg rep. But totally understand and not mad.
That's all from me on this. I like playing offense better than defense. :)

Bob Dole
11-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Hell, millions of people watch the Super Bowl "just for the commercials.."

But it's important to remember that none of those millions have a penis.

stevieray
11-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Ironically, we're testing some new stuff in KC today.
And well put, Saulbadguy. Glad I didn't have to say it. Almost makes up for the neg rep. But totally understand and not mad.
That's all from me on this. I like playing offense better than defense. :)

don't be cruel.

Reaper16
11-06-2006, 02:32 PM
don't be cruel.
ROFL

Who Dey1
11-07-2006, 02:54 PM
I like the actor. I have seen him in applebees commercials ans other shows. The part fits him well. How long is he under contract?