PDA

View Full Version : Huard Stays In

Color Red
11-06-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm sorry. I've seen Trent Green when he's in top form. Like Damon Huard is right now. But putting Green back in the starting lineup here within a couple of weeks may be a disaster. Huard has a hot hand and you've got to play him out. Call it a quarterback controversy if you want. It's not that you must play Green. It's that you shouldn't sit Huard.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Hootie, GoChiefs, Jason Whitlock, Jeff Rake, Steve Mariucci and Color Red.

WE ROLLIN'

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 12:09 AM
I have a feeling this QB controversy is going to get a lot of ESPN airtime this week...

Knob
11-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Add Rob to that list also!

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-06-2006, 12:10 AM
They are all gathering together. Let's get out the poison gas, we can kill them all in one swoop :evil:

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Add Rob to that list also!

Hootie, GoChiefs, Jason Whitlock, Jeff Rake, Steve Mariucci, Color Red and Rob.

We need a catchy name or something. HUARD'S HEROES.

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 12:13 AM
I remember when LJ first burst onto the scene and I was on a different board (not even a Chiefs board) and I used to post weekly Chiefs threads that no one ever read but I told everyone LJ was way better than Holmes and everyone there told me I had no idea what I was talking about...how can a RB that hasn't removed the diapers be better than a perennial pro-bowl running back with the NFL record for most TD's in a season (at that time)?

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 12:14 AM
There's a thread from the beginning of last year in the archives. HALF THE BOARD WANTED TO START PRIEST HOLMES.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 12:14 AM
I don't know who first started this bandwagon but I think I like it.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 12:15 AM
I don't know who first started this bandwagon but I think I like it.

Hootie, GoChiefs, Jason Whitlock, Jeff Rake, Steve Mariucci, Color Red, Rob and Phobia.

NJ Chief Fan
11-06-2006, 12:16 AM
im on the huard band wagon, gotta go with whats hot, let the qb controversy begin in the spring time, green vs huard vs croyle

Short Leash Hootie
There's a thread from the beginning of last year in the archives. HALF THE BOARD WANTED TO START PRIEST HOLMES.
I think LJ had more people on his bandwagon than Huard has on his at this point...but anyone that knew anything about football knew LJ was way better last year than Priest.

Priest was washed up and it cost us 2 wins IMHO...

Fruit Ninja
I love Trent, but i am on the wagon as well, make room for my ass. haha

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Hootie, GoChiefs, Jason Whitlock, Jeff Rake, Steve Mariucci, Color Red, Rob, Phobia, NJ Chief Fan and kcxiv.

Rain Man
11-06-2006, 12:17 AM
I worship at the altar of Huard just like everyone else, but it did worry me a bit that Herm/Solari only gave Damon 15 throws this week. We ran a LOT in passing situations. Now, that may just be Herm's normal road strategy, but I'm not sure.

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 12:20 AM
I like the 3rd and long LJ draws...I really do...why force a pass when we have sketchy pass protection as it is?

On 3rd and 19 when a team passes, I cringe...more critical mistakes come from 3rd and longs than anything.

We have a good punter, a good running back that can break off long gains if he gets into the second level...I'll take a 3rd and long draw any day of the week as LONG AS we're leading/tied/down by a few...

blueballs
11-06-2006, 12:20 AM
in the playoffs against the Colts/Pats/Ravens
give me a broken in Green

Phobia
11-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Does anybody beat Sept 12th on the Huard bandwagon? I don't think preseason of 05 really counts either.

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 12:21 AM
if we play the Colts in the playoffs, we will lose.

We better all out blitz just about every time or we're f*cked.

I like our matchup against the Pats in all honesty. I think we could beat the Pats at Arrowhead, and maybe even Foxboro. I think they're a pretender right now...in an easy division.

KurtCobain
11-06-2006, 12:22 AM
I'm on the flip a coin to decide to quarterback bandwagon at this point. Because I think what we've learned from this is we have a great receiving team. and a good offense altogether. Saint Huard my ass, Dee Brown could put up similar numbers. Hell, Colquit could put up those numbers.

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Also, I said last week...if Huard comes out and plays great against St. Louis and the Chiefs win...we should stick with Huard.

He did that, so he should be the starter now.

He proved he can do it at home and away...

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 12:23 AM
I think our defense is a definite pretender right now, by the way...

Our secondary is TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Does anybody beat Sept 12th on the Huard bandwagon? I don't think preseason of 05 really counts either.

Excuse me? I never wavered in my support.

blueballs
11-06-2006, 12:24 AM
If the CHiefs are not a Super Bowl team
WTF difference does it make

Sure-Oz
11-06-2006, 12:26 AM
if we play the Colts in the playoffs, we will lose.

We better all out blitz just about every time or we're f*cked.

I like our matchup against the Pats in all honesty. I think we could beat the Pats at Arrowhead, and maybe even Foxboro. I think they're a pretender right now...in an easy division.
might as well stop watching now then

Tribal Warfare
11-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Agai, F*CK that shit Green is the main man. Huard is running the rudementary form of the offense with Green in their the O would work like a very well oiled machine since they would have to respect Green. Thus the 8-9 players in the box will dissipate, and the offense will have more options with their gameplaning

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 12:27 AM
ST. LOUIS -- Although the Chiefs would love to have offensive leader Trent Green back, Damon Huard has turned Kansas City into a playoff contender in Green's absence.

Coach Herman Edwards already has gone on record as saying Green, out since Week 1 after suffering a concussion, will start when he's healthy. Following Sunday's 31-17 victory over St. Louis, Green said he's targeting the Nov. 19 game against the Raiders. That buys Edwards time to make what Huard has turned into the toughest decision in his first year as Chiefs head coach. Benching a hot Huard will be an extremely difficult decision for Edwards.

In 1997, Chiefs coach Marty Schottenheimer faced a situation similar to the one Edwards faces in the coming weeks. Elvis Grbac was the starting quarterback that season, but he suffered a broken collarbone. Rich Gannon came off the bench and won games. The Chiefs finished 13-3 and secured homefield advantage, but Schottenheimer went back to Grbac, and the result was disastrous.

The Chiefs were upset in the first round of the playoffs by the Broncos, and Gannon left in free agency the next year to turn the Raiders into a playoff contender and eventual Super Bowl participant.

"One rule says you don't lose your position with injury," Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez explained diplomatically. "Whatever they do, we've got to go with it."

The Green-Huard debate is tougher than Grbac-Gannon. Grbac wasn't much of a leader, although he was a talented thrower. Gannon was an aggressive leader who demanded the most of his players. Green and Huard are the nicest people you'll meet in sports. Everyone in the Chiefs' locker room loves both guys. Players believe in them. So, you ask again, how can you bench Huard?

He's 5-2 as Green's replacement. His stats are unbelievable -- a 105.2 quarterback rating, 64.5 percent of his passes completed, 11 touchdown passes compared to one interception. On the field, he's a fiery leader.

Everything Huard throws is catchable, and thanks to his excellent game-management skills and a resurgent Larry Johnson, he does not have to throw a lot. In the Chiefs' win Sunday, Huard needed only 15 throws. He completed 10, three for touchdowns.

In the second quarter, with the Chiefs leading 7-0, Huard made the Rams pay for their sloppiness. Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen stripped the ball from Marc Bulger at the Rams 46. On the next play, Huard hit Samie Parker with a perfectly thrown 43-yard pass to the Rams' 3-yard line. Huard hit Gonzalez with a 3-yard touchdown pass on the next play.

"I think that gets your confidence going and certainly it softens up the coverage when you hit that big play," Huard said. "Samie did a nice job of getting separation, and he made a nice play on the ball for me. It got the offense going and the confidence going. I am not sure we had any passing yardage until that play. It was a big play for us. When you hit those plays, it helps you run and vice versa."

Huard threw only one pass, an incompletion, in the first quarter. A lot of things were happening that would have caused other quarterbacks to panic. With four minutes left in the first quarter, All-Pro guard Brian Waters went down with what initially looked like a serious knee injury. After the game, Waters said the injury wasn't too serious, although he likely will miss a couple of weeks.

"I've always believed in myself. I've been asked that question [if he's surprised himself] a lot. You just keep fighting and keep hanging in there and hoping I get one more opportunity in my career, and I'm very fortunate I did. I just wanted to keep this team going. I have a lot of good players around me."
Damon Huard, Chiefs QB

The Chiefs had only seven offensive linemen on their active roster. Kyle Turley filled in for injured Kevin Sampson at right tackle. Chris Bober replaced Waters at left guard. John Welbourn, just off the commissioner's exempt list following a suspension, was the only other available blocker, and he helped out at both tackle spots. Rusty in his first game, Welbourn was beaten for two sacks.

"I wasn't worried," Edwards said. "I had to get the next guy in. I don't worry too much. The first game of the year, the quarterback went down, so you can't get worried. The next guy has to go in, and you don't worry about that. Hopefully, Brian will be back sooner than later, but we'll see where it's at."

Huard kept things calm in the huddle. He's been around 10 seasons, playing behind Dan Marino, Tom Brady and now Green. Until he replaced Green in Week 1, Huard had only thrown one pass in a game since 2000. He had only six starts prior to this season.

"I've always believed in myself," Huard said. "I've been asked that question [if he's surprised himself] a lot. You just keep fighting and keep hanging in there and hoping I get one more opportunity in my career, and I'm very fortunate I did. I just wanted to keep this team going. I have a lot of good players around me."

Where Huard has excelled is getting the ball to his playmakers. His accuracy has allowed him to work perfectly with Gonzalez, who has 38 catches for 504 yards. Once he establishes Gonzalez in games, things open up for Parker, Eddie Kennison, Kris Wilson and others.

"It is all about winning," Huard said. "When the team wins, you feel good. I think when you win games on the road, you gain confidence. That is what we did today. We hope to carry that to the game next week against Miami."

Teams that are 5-3 at the midseason mark have a 65 percent chance of making the playoffs. Teams that are 4-4 have a 25 percent chance. At 5-3, thanks to Huard, the Chiefs have rejoined the playoff race.

"Even if you go 5-3, you still have got to win games," Edwards said. "We talked about that last night. You can use stats however you want to use them, but you're right. Sixty five percent of teams when you are 5-3 have a little bit of an edge, but you still have to win games. It was more important for us to win a road game against a winning team that obviously plays well here."

Edwards won't have to worry about who's playing behind center for now as Huard continues his magic carpet ride.

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Agai, F*CK that shit Green is the main man. Huard is running the rudementary form of the offense with Green in their the O would work like a very well oiled machine since they would have to respect Green. Thus the 8-9 players in the box will dissipate, and the offense will have more options with their gameplaning
so you think when Green is back suddenly we're going to be the potent offense of years past and LJ will be breaking off consistent 20 yard gains?!

Keep dreaming.

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 12:29 AM
that article was by John Clayton, by the way...

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 12:30 AM
that article was by John Clayton, by the way...

Hootie, GoChiefs, Jason Whitlock, Jeff Rake, Steve Mariucci, Color Red, Rob, Phobia, NJ Chief Fan, kcxiv and John Clayton.

Tribal Warfare
11-06-2006, 12:34 AM
so you think when Green is back suddenly we're going to be the potent offense of years past and LJ will be breaking off consistent 20 yard gains?!

Keep dreaming.

Yes, It will open the gameplan more with a F*CKIN pro-bowl QB in the mix.

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 12:42 AM
oh.

Ok.

I thought maybe our QB right now with the 105.3 QB rating might be the reason LJ went from games with 36 rushing yards, 26 rushing yards to 135 rushing yards, 155 rushing yards, and 172 rushing yards...

who knows though, right?

GoodDaySir!
11-06-2006, 12:45 AM
As an opposing fan who remembers how the Gannon/Grbac situation unfolded, I hope Trent starts on Thanksgiving.

luv
11-06-2006, 12:46 AM
As an opposing fan who remembers how the Gannon/Grbac situation unfolded, I hope Trent starts on Thanksgiving.
I've been meaning to ask you...what is that thing in your avy? I love it. ROFL

Phobia

You've thoroughly convinced me. I think the "F*CKIN pro-bowl QB" part was very persuasive.

Short Leash Hootie
Denver won't win either way...

and I'll be there to be witness it!!!

GoodDaySir!
11-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Denver won't win either way...

and I'll be there to be witness it!!!

Probably. But I'd still rather face Green.

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 12:47 AM
either way...we're LJ or bust.

TinyEvel
11-06-2006, 12:48 AM

How about: The BlowHuards.

:clap:

Joe Seahawk
11-06-2006, 12:53 AM
Lets say hypothetically that there is a team that can shut down you run game.. I'd feel more comfortable with Green than Huard..

He only had 15 attempts today?

Crashride
11-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Im on that band wagon go chiefs add me to the list

jidar
11-06-2006, 12:56 AM
Huard is near the bottom of the league in attempts and the attempts he does make are usually the type of thing you see when the OC is trying to manage the QB to limit mistakes.

Huard didn't go downfield often today, and when he did he twice threw it right into the arms of defenders who then luckily for us dropped it.

Believe me, I appreciate what he's done, but he's STILL no Trent Green.

Demonpenz
11-06-2006, 12:58 AM
this is the kansas city chiefs. Reguardless of what we do it will be wrong and embarrassing

Phobia
11-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Huard is near the bottom of the league in attempts and the attempts he does make are usually the type of thing you see when the OC is trying to manage the QB to limit mistakes.

Huard didn't go downfield often today, and when he did he twice threw it right into the arms of defenders who then luckily for us dropped it.

Believe me, I appreciate what he's done, but he's STILL no Trent Green.
I know. Trent Green never had an INT dropped. Get him back in there before more defenders drop more Huard passes. He must..... be......

stopped......

jidar
11-06-2006, 01:02 AM
I know. Trent Green never had an INT dropped. Get him back in there before more defenders drop more Huard passes. He must..... be......

stopped......

Yeah I said that, precisely.

that's exactly what I ment.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Yeah I said that, precisely.

that's exactly what I ment.

No, you can't take credit for that. I said it first.

Ari Chi3fs
11-06-2006, 01:06 AM
No. Im in the Trent Green boat. Reason is simple... he calls the plays out on the field, knows the offense better, and has better accuracy. The O will open up more... we have be able to open up passing lanes and execute. Thus, we will ahve more open lanes for LJ to work his magic. And it is magic.

Huard next week... Green at home vs Raiders. If he sucks in first half, put Huard in.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Lets say hypothetically that there is a team that can shut down you run game..

It happened three times this year and Huard pulled out a win twice.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 01:08 AM
has better accuracy.

This is a myth. I personally think Huard is actually MORE accurate.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 01:10 AM
the attempts he does make are usually the type of thing you see when the OC is trying to manage the QB to limit mistakes.

This is simply NOT TRUE.

He's averaging approximately the same number of yards per completion as Green did last year.

ChiefsLV
11-06-2006, 01:13 AM

I'm thinking more like HUARD'S HOMERS

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 01:15 AM
I'm thinking more like HUARD'S HOMERS

HUARD'S HOMOS!!!

jidar
11-06-2006, 01:17 AM
This is simply NOT TRUE.

He's averaging approximately the same number of yards per completion as Green did last year.

that so? Color me surprised. It doesn't feel like it.
He is at the bottom in attempts though. Green throws for what, 4000 yards a season? Huard is on pace for 2800

I gotta think that's an air attack that's been reigned in a bit. Still we've got the Blitzkrieg of ground games going on so I guess it hasn't mattered.

ChiefsLV
11-06-2006, 01:17 AM
HUARD'S HOMOS!!!

Sometimes I think some mod must have logged in with your account just to **** with you and post shit like that. But then I remind myself, this is GoChiefs.

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 01:18 AM
I would love to be a member of Huard's Homos.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 01:21 AM
He is at the bottom in attempts though. Green throws for what, 4000 yards a season? Huard is on pace for 2800

I gotta think that's an air attack that's been reigned in a bit. Still we've got the Blitzkrieg of ground games going on so I guess it hasn't mattered.

Yeah, Dick Vermeil scored 50 points per game and gave up 51. Who cares how many yards you throw for if you're not winning in January?

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 01:22 AM

It doesn't FEEL like it! LMAO

That's great. But seriously. No.

He's on pace for about 3,200, actually. But that is, as you pointed out, because of the lower number of attempts.

Personally I am DONE caring that much about stats. The team that won the Super Bowl last year didn't throw the ball for 4,000 yards, or even 3,500.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 01:23 AM
Huard's Huevos!

jidar
Yeah, Dick Vermeil scored 50 points per game and gave up 51. Who cares how many yards you throw for if you're not winning in January?

Is Huard in for Dick Vermeil?

Ari Chi3fs
This is a myth. I personally think Huard is actually MORE accurate.

Well, I would say that on all the dink and dunk passes Huard has this year, he may be more accurate... however, they haven't opened up the O full throttle with Huard.

This is a sticky situation, innit?

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 01:24 AM
The MOST encouraging thing about Damon Huard is that EVEN THOUGH he won't throw for 4,000 yards this year, if he we NEED him put up 300 yards in a game, he has SHOWN he is CAPABLE OF DOING IT.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 01:25 AM
Well, I would say that on all the dink and dunk passes Huard has this year, he may be more accurate... however, they haven't opened up the O full throttle with Huard.

I don't believe it is that scaled back. Huard is making plenty of downfield throws and displaying similar levels of accuracy.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Huard's yards per completion this year: 12.3

Green's yards per completion last year: 12.6

Green's yards per completion the year before that: 12.4

Green's yards per completion the year before that: 12.2

Green's yards per completion the year before that: 12.2

Ari Chi3fs
11-06-2006, 01:28 AM
Im like a month older than Damon Huard. If I was a professional athlete... I would still be serviceable... past my prime a bit, but good for a couple more seasons.

heh. Put me in coach, Im mediocre enough.

jidar
11-06-2006, 01:30 AM
honestly I'm playing a bit of Devils advocate here.
I don't think we should rush Green back as he'll be rusty and in the past it's always taken him a few weeks into the regular season before he really heats up.
Moot point though, he'll be in for the Oakland game in all likelihood.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 01:31 AM
Im like a month older than Damon Huard. If I was a professional athlete... I would still be serviceable... past my prime a bit, but good for a couple more seasons.

heh. Put me in coach, Im mediocre enough.

Yeah, but you can't throw it or catch it.

Ari Chi3fs
11-06-2006, 01:32 AM

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?

I got Guns for arms, and velvet for hands... You jusss crazy talkin, now.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 01:32 AM

This is a sticky situation, innit?

Huard is a dink & dunk QB but Green is not?

Ari Chi3fs
11-06-2006, 01:34 AM
nope. He is a gunslinger of Johnny Unitas proportions. :p

Phobia
11-06-2006, 01:34 AM
Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?

I got Guns for arms, and velvet for hands... You jusss crazy talkin, now.
In order for you to attain mediocre status, you'd need 100 River Falls training camps in a row.

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 01:36 AM
Huard has done both, on the same play, twice, in one season, comma

Ari Chi3fs
11-06-2006, 01:36 AM
In order for you to attain mediocre status, you'd need 100 River Falls training camps in a row.

Now you are just being rude. You have seen the beautiful spirals and you had bruises on your palms from trying to catch the rockets. Dont deny, now. It ain't proper.

ChiefsCountry
11-06-2006, 01:38 AM
I'm on the Trent Green bandwagon. :harumph:

Phobia
11-06-2006, 01:40 AM
You have seen the beautiful spirals and you had bruises on your palms from trying to catch the rockets.

I've only attempted to catch the #1 rocket with my palms, dude. Anything beyond that is your twisted fantasy and I want no part of it.

HMc
11-06-2006, 06:57 AM
im with Huard. All the arguments against are bullshit, imo. His passes are short. So what? At least he's not throwing them to the other team. His passes float. He's no Trent. This is Trent's team. Trent can go deep. All meaningless crap. Trent is a guy whos almost old enough to have an adult child and he's coming back from one mofo of a concussion. Keep Green catching his drool until Huard fuggs up. If Trentt is so awesome then he'll be great to have on the bench ready to go should Huard falter.