PDA

View Full Version : Joe Posnanski - Huard is the right starter

Count Zarth
11-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Huard is the right starter

ST. LOUIS | This is no joke now. We waited for the Damon Huard balloon to burst. We laughed about the pumpkin factor — meaning “When would Damon Huard turn into one?” We joked about a quarterback controversy when Trent Green returned, but we didn’t mean anything by it.

This is no joke now. Damon Huard can play football. And Chiefs coach Herman Edwards will soon face the toughest football decision of his coaching life.

Huard played another nearly flawless game Sunday — 10 of 15, 148 yards, three touchdown passes — and he has a ludicrous 105.2 passer rating. We’re not in love with the passer-rating statistic, but to give you an idea: That rating is higher than Peyton Manning’s last season. Huard has other impressive-looking statistics to go with that as well. He has thrown 11 touchdown passes against one interception, for example.

Here is the big statistic: The Chiefs are 5-2 in Huard’s starts.

Here is the big thing: The Chiefs players now believe in him completely.

“I know a lot of people out there wondered what Damon was about,” offensive lineman Brian Waters said. “Even a lot of guys in here wondered about that, too. We don’t wonder now. We’re very confident in him. This isn’t a fluke. This is who he is.”

All around the locker room, players said those sorts of things — quotes like “Damon Huard is for real” — and yes, Edwards will soon have to make the ultimate call. That call was brought to life in the locker room Sunday, moments after the Chiefs’ gutsy victory over St. Louis. Trent Green, wearing a nice suit, talked to reporters. He was not ready to play, but he had suited up for the first time since his head bounced off the turf against Cincinnati. He had so many people surrounding him that Huard could not even get to his locker.

“Now it’s just a matter of getting comfortable,” Green was telling everybody.

Green said he was not feeling any more effects of his devastating grade-three concussion, and doctors were telling him he should be able to return to football without risking his health any more than quarterbacks normally do. Green said he probably will not be ready to play next week, but he could be ready in two weeks.

Green talked as if he were the starter. You couldn’t blame him for that. Green has been the Chiefs’ starter for five seasons. He made two Pro Bowls, he threw for 4,000 yards three straight seasons, he guided the league’s highest-scoring offense and all that. It would be patently unfair to bench Green because he hit his head.

“He’s won an awful lot of games for this football team,” Edwards said.

But … nobody said football is fair. The dynamic has changed. There’s one thing every successful person in sports understands: You don’t mess around when things are working. As Crash Davis said in “Bull Durham”: “You don’t (bleep) with a winning streak.”

Everybody was giving up the Chiefs for dead barely six weeks ago. Now, Huard has led them to victories in five of six games. The Chiefs are moving to Huard’s rhythm. Take Sunday. The Chiefs built a big lead, and then the offense and defense went flat all at once — in large part because everybody got hurt. Everybody. Rumor was Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson pulled an oblique in the press box.

The Rams pulled within a touchdown, and they were in position to score again when the Chiefs got a pretty friendly offensive pass-interference call. The Chiefs got the ball back at their 6. Everybody in the dome — and there were a lot of Chiefs fans in the dome — knew the Chiefs were in trouble. Huard flipped a quick pass to Dante Hall for 12 yards.

“He had this look in his eye in the huddle on that drive,” Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez says. “He was animated. It was great. … The good ones, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Michael Vick, all those guys play with passion. That’s what Damon has. When it’s time to make a big play, he gets fired up. Everybody responds to that.”

From that point on, the Chiefs mixed some nice runs and passes, and Huard looked in control. How does a 33-year-old who had thrown one NFL pass in five years suddenly take control of a football team? These are the mysteries of the NFL. Huard played behind some pretty good quarterbacks — Dan Marino, Brady, Green. Maybe he learned watching them. Huard says the key is he never lost faith in his ability. He says that nothing he has done the last two months has surprised him.

“Not at all,” he says. “I just thought I needed a chance.”

With about 7 minutes left in the game, he connected with Gonzalez for a big third-down completion. Let’s be honest: Gonzalez, at age 30, is playing his best football for Huard. On the next play, Huard rolled out and connected with Kris Wilson for a touchdown pass, Huard’s third of the game. And that was the ballgame.

In the next few weeks, Edwards will have to make one of those that’s-why-he-gets-paid-the-big-bucks decisions. He insists that when Green is ready, he will be the starter. Period. It sounds good.

But Herm knows better than anyone: There are so many unknowns with Trent Green. How will he take to the football field after that devastating hit? Will he stand as tall in the pocket? Will he play with the same fearlessness and motivation? And while I’m no doctor, I have to ask: Is it really true that there are no after-effects of a grade-three concussion for a 36-year-old quarterback?

Meanwhile, the Chiefs have rallied around Huard. In his seven games as a starter, he has played as well as Green ever played. The team has played inspired football behind him. Can Herm Edwards really walk away from that? Can he take a chance and bring back Green? Because he knows — everyone knows — that once he’s made the switch back to Green, the spell could be broken and the season could be lost.

I appreciate that Trent Green deserves his starting job back. Then, “deserve” has nothing to do with it. I think the Chiefs have to stay with Huard. It’s their best hope to make this a special season. But let’s ask someone in the locker room.

“I mean, I really don’t know,” Gonzalez says. “I mean, Damon has played great, outstanding, I couldn’t be prouder of him, and I was here before when we had this situation (when Elvis Grbac came back from injury and Rich Gannon was benched), and the coach made the wrong decision. I mean, of course, this is different. Trent Green is no Elvis Grbac. He’s a great quarterback, a Pro Bowl quarterback. But obviously, Damon is playing really well. I mean, it’s a tough one for Herm, he’s going to have a tough decision to make and …”

Gonzalez smiles. He realizes he’s just going round and round.

“You know,” Gonzalez says, “whatever decision he makes, we’ll go with it.”

Count Zarth
11-06-2006, 01:26 AM
Hootie, GoChiefs, Jason Whitlock, Jeff Rake, Steve Mariucci, Color Red, Rob, Phobia, NJ Chief Fan, kcxiv, John Clayton and Joe Posnanski.

greg63
11-06-2006, 01:27 AM
So, are sold on Damon Huard??

Count Zarth
11-06-2006, 01:29 AM
Trent Green is no Elvis Grbac.

LMAO.

Wow. Way to throw Grbac under the bus, Tony.

mcan
11-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Meanwhile, the Chiefs have rallied around Huard. In his seven games as a starter, he has played as well as Green ever played.

This is just untrue...

BigRock
11-06-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm almost hoping that Huard throws 3 picks next week just to end all this.

Seriously, though, I know it's been said before, but the Raiders game is a blessing. Give Trent the start. Their offense is so horrible, to say nothing of Walters' first taste of Arrowhead, that Trent would have to pull a Big Ben and spot them 14 or so points for them to be in it.

If Trent struggles, it shouldn't hurt us. But get a look at him. See if he's ready for Denver the next week. If he's not, missing one game isn't going to derail Huard. And if it does, he's not cut out for the job anyway.

Count Zarth
11-06-2006, 01:46 AM
This is just untrue...

No, it's not. 11 touchdowns. 1 interception. 105.2.

That's comparable to any eight-game stretch in Green's career.

mcan
11-06-2006, 02:05 AM
No, it's not. 11 touchdowns. 1 interception. 105.2.

That's comparable to any eight-game stretch in Green's career.

The numbers look good, but those lofty numbers don't reflect everything that's going on. Damon has had a lot of sure interceptions dropped. I could into a complete critique on Damon's play, but nothing is going to convince anybody. Plus, I don't want to bag on the guy. He has played really well. Just not as well as the numbers and the standing would have us believe.

Ultra Peanut
11-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Hootie, GoChiefs, Jason Whitlock, Jeff Rake, Steve Mariucci, Color Red, Rob, Phobia, NJ Chief Fan, kcxiv, John Clayton and Joe Posnanski.Ahem.

I'm almost hoping that Huard throws 3 picks next week just to end all this.Yeah, that makes plenty of sense.

Damon has had a lot of sure interceptions dropped. A lot? How many is that to the fine citizens of Hyperbole City?

mikey23545
11-06-2006, 05:14 AM
The numbers look good, but those lofty numbers don't reflect everything that's going on. Damon has had a lot of sure interceptions dropped. I could into a complete critique on Damon's play, but nothing is going to convince anybody. Plus, I don't want to bag on the guy. He has played really well. Just not as well as the numbers and the standing would have us believe.

So if you take away his passer rating and his won-loss record he really sucks, huh?....

You know, I know how some of you have been talking about GoChief's manlove for Huard, but I think some of you need to slip Green's cock out of your mouth before typing...

scott free
11-06-2006, 05:21 AM
I'm wondering if TG gets paid every time he says "I mean". Its hard to argue with Damons #'s but he's never been in a late season crunch. Either way, as has been said before its a good problem to have. Maybe the CHIEFS should seek the counsel of some world renowned psychic :hmmm: , one thing is for sure, if they keep Damon in, GC & Hootie will NEVER let anyone forget it.

And that could cause a controversy of its own.

HMc
11-06-2006, 05:30 AM
I wonder what Huard would have to do to convince some of you lot that he deserves to keep the job.

Tinlar
11-06-2006, 05:45 AM
What I expect is to see Green ease back in ... We need to blow out Oakland in the first half in week 11. Then I expect to see Green in the second half. Based on his performance there (which I expect will be nothing less than his normal greatnesss) this issue will be put to bed and Green will start in week 12.

OldTownChief
11-06-2006, 05:48 AM
I wonder what Huard would have to do to convince some of you lot that he deserves to keep the job.

Green would have to do something to convince me that he deserves to lose his job.

Ralphy Boy
11-06-2006, 05:51 AM
Lets not forget that Damon only threw for 148 yards today. His going 10 for 15 completion, is very comparable to a Trent day in terms of completion %. Green just would have been asked to pass for 300 yards instead. None of us have really seen Green play for Solari/Edwards. The Cinci game was horrible because our line sucked and Trent was running for his life, after he went out they stepped up to max protection and Huard played a good game. Even as bad as the line was playing, Green still went 11 for 15.

To say that Green should sit for Huard is ridiculous.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-06-2006, 05:55 AM
I'm seriously wondering about some of you. Are your attention spans so short that you can't see the difference between the two? Huard has done a good job, but he's done it with a scaled back offense. We still go ape-shit when we thrown on first down, because we've been so predictable in down and distance situations this year. We all saw the sure interceptions dropped yesterday **cough** Coakley **cough**. Is it really that hard to remember the last 3 years when the only QB that passed for more yards than Trent was Manning??

Tuckdaddy
11-06-2006, 06:02 AM
If the Chiefs drop Trent next season for Huard then fine. Trent is older and is at the end of his career but this season should not be taken from him. He's earned the right to be the starter.

HMc
11-06-2006, 06:10 AM
I'm seriously wondering about some of you. Are your attention spans so short that you can't see the difference between the two? Huard has done a good job, but he's done it with a scaled back offense. We still go ape-shit when we thrown on first down, because we've been so predictable in down and distance situations this year. We all saw the sure interceptions dropped yesterday **cough** Coakley **cough**. Is it really that hard to remember the last 3 years when the only QB that passed for more yards than Trent was Manning??

Green had Shields peaking, Roaf, and Roidboy when he was geared up. Huard has had a guy with a gammy back, a guy "fresh" from an NFL Europe season, and the Daewoo of offensive lineman, Jordan Black. And he's thrown <b>1</b> int on the season.

King_Chief_Fan
11-06-2006, 06:50 AM
If the Chiefs drop Trent next season for Huard then fine. Trent is older and is at the end of his career but this season should not be taken from him. He's earned the right to be the starter.
how's that? He has played one half a game since last season.
He has to re earn the start. Let them duke it out in practice.

King_Chief_Fan
11-06-2006, 06:52 AM
What I expect is to see Green ease back in ... We need to blow out Oakland in the first half in week 11. Then I expect to see Green in the second half. Based on his performance there (which I expect will be nothing less than his normal greatnesss) this issue will be put to bed and Green will start in week 12.

that may be a good approach.

BigRedChief
11-06-2006, 07:07 AM
LMAO.

Wow. Way to throw Grbac under the bus, Tony.That muthafuk&*%#$@sumofa (muthafuk&*%#$@sumofa).... deserves it.

okay maybe thats a little harsh. He may be a good person and a great dad, husband and all that but as a NFL QB he was a wimp and a quiiter. And in the NFL world being a wimp and a quitter is the worst thing you can ever be....well besides gay.:)

Radar Chief
11-06-2006, 07:10 AM

I was make’n a similar point to the friends I watch the game with yesterday.
Huard has looked good and the offense is moving again, but that’s at least partially ‘cause they’re just now opening up the playbook for’im. You can see it in the play call’n from Solari and get’n better timing with’is receivers. That’s good, love to see it, but when you have Green in there, the playbook is already wide open.
I’m guess’n Huard probably knows, like, ¼ maybe ½ of all offensive plays while Trent knows this offense upside down and inside out.
IMO, when he’s healthy Green is our guy.

CoMoChief
11-06-2006, 07:24 AM
LMAO.

Wow. Way to throw Grbac under the bus, Tony.

Who gives a shit. Grbac sucked. And everything that TonyG said was true. Green is leaps and bounds better than Grbac.

Lzen
11-06-2006, 07:27 AM

Only problem with this plan is that there is no guarantee that we will blow out Oakland. Most Chiefs/Raiders games are close. The old saying "you can throw out the records when these teams play" applies here.

Bob Dole
11-06-2006, 07:35 AM
I’m guess’n Huard probably knows, like, ¼ maybe ½ of all offensive plays while Trent knows this offense upside down and inside out.

Are you suggesting Huard is learning disabled?

This is his 3rd year with the playbook. Bob Dole thinks he probably knows it.

FringeNC
11-06-2006, 07:44 AM

Rep.

Radar Chief
11-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Are you suggesting Huard is learning disabled?

This is his 3rd year with the playbook. Bob Dole thinks he probably knows it.

Ok, but they’re not run’n the offense like he knows it. :shrug:

burt
11-06-2006, 07:55 AM
1) Herm has said repeatedly, Green is our STARTING QB
2) Green has produced FOR YEARS, Huard has produced FOR WEEKS.
3) Green has led this team for years. He has produced. Do you doubters have NO LOYALTY?
4) A player goes down due to injury. He loses his starting position. Now every player on that team is more concerned about injury than going full out. Waters gives up on a block early, because he MIGHT get injured. Kennison DOESN'T go up for that pass, because he could get injured. You can NOT start this dangerous precident.

Some one said it last week. QB contraversy...good for the media....bad for the team. So.... STFU STFU STFU STFU

TinyEvel
11-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Only problem with this plan is that there is no guarantee that we will blow out Oakland. Most Chiefs/Raiders games are close. The old saying "you can throw out the records when these teams play" applies here.

I agree. Look how last year at Arrowhead it came down to "The Dive".
Plus, the thing that sucks about Oakland is their offense, Their D has some playmakers.

Burgess has 7 sacks so far (two more than Jared) and they've got 11 INTs as a team. In fact that are the #1 defense in the league in passing yards allowed.

But their O-line has given up 35 sacks so far. I'm hoping the TamaTwo will get us some strips.
Not saying they're gonna win, but it's not like you can just throw Trent out there and expect him to eat cupcakes and tea.

Hog Farmer
11-06-2006, 08:15 AM
You guys are forgetting Green is now permanently retarted. He will not be playing again any time soon. King Carl is telling the doctors to tell Trent that he's really OK so their won't be an injury settlement. He'll be cut soon ,after he flops around on the field long enough to say he's healthy.

Luzap
11-06-2006, 09:08 AM
I think it's silly to even have this discussion. Trent will be the starter. Period.

Let me give you one more of a jillion reasons why:
Trent has started, and played very well in a playoff game.

The loss to Indy certainly wasn't because of Trent's performance ~ as a matter of fact, IIRC, it ranked up there as one of the best QB/playoff performances of all time. And you want to keep that on the bench?

Luz
get up slowly and carefully turn the radio off...

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 09:11 AM
You guys are forgetting Green is now permanently retarted. He will not be playing again any time soon. King Carl is telling the doctors to tell Trent that he's really OK so their won't be an injury settlement. He'll be cut soon ,after he flops around on the field long enough to say he's healthy.

Thanks for the update, Mr. Harry.

dj56dt58
11-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Green would have to do something to convince me that he deserves to lose his job.
If Green shows you that he deserves to lose the job then it will be too late....

dj56dt58
11-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Not to mention if Huard can keep this up for a few years, he is only 33 while Trent is 36. Huard could take us all the way to the point to where Brodie is ready to start. Keeping Huard in is better for right now and better for the future imo

King_Chief_Fan
11-06-2006, 09:44 AM
I was make’n a similar point to the friends I watch the game with yesterday.
Huard has looked good and the offense is moving again, but that’s at least partially ‘cause they’re just now opening up the playbook for’im. You can see it in the play call’n from Solari and get’n better timing with’is receivers. That’s good, love to see it, but when you have Green in there, the playbook is already wide open.

holy crap........you mean to tell me that we could have scored 62 points yesterday if Huard knew the book better? Get to studying Huard.

TRR
11-06-2006, 10:38 AM
There isn't a throw Huard made yesterday that Green couldn't have made. Huard threw a total of 15 times, and definitely is being leashed. KC is relying on LJ a lot more, and Green will take the pressure off of him.

Green's the starter...There is no debate.

greg63
11-06-2006, 02:50 PM
1) Herm has said repeatedly, Green is our STARTING QB
2) Green has produced FOR YEARS, Huard has produced FOR WEEKS.
3) Green has led this team for years. He has produced. Do you doubters have NO LOYALTY?
4) A player goes down due to injury. He loses his starting position. Now every player on that team is more concerned about injury than going full out. Waters gives up on a block early, because he MIGHT get injured. Kennison DOESN'T go up for that pass, because he could get injured. You can NOT start this dangerous precident.

Some one said it last week. QB contraversy...good for the media....bad for the team. So.... STFU STFU STFU STFU

Huard has repeatedly said that Green is "our starting Quarter Back".

alanm
11-06-2006, 02:58 PM
If LJ were to roll his ankle and be out for a couple of weeks and Bennet or Brown were to have a couple of 100 yrd games are we going to throw LJ under the bus too? :rolleyes:

Green gets the nod.

StcChief
11-06-2006, 03:07 PM
It's Green's job. If he struggles or gets banged good again.
Huard will be back.

Calcountry
11-06-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm almost hoping that Huard throws 3 picks next week just to end all this.

Seriously, though, I know it's been said before, but the Raiders game is a blessing. Give Trent the start. Their offense is so horrible, to say nothing of Walters' first taste of Arrowhead, that Trent would have to pull a Big Ben and spot them 14 or so points for them to be in it.

If Trent struggles, it shouldn't hurt us. But get a look at him. See if he's ready for Denver the next week. If he's not, missing one game isn't going to derail Huard. And if it does, he's not cut out for the job anyway.Why don't we let Trent get a look after we have a 14 point lead in the fourth quarter?

Calcountry
11-06-2006, 03:29 PM
What I expect is to see Green ease back in ... We need to blow out Oakland in the first half in week 11. Then I expect to see Green in the second half. Based on his performance there (which I expect will be nothing less than his normal greatnesss) this issue will be put to bed and Green will start in week 12.And what if Green looks dazed and confused, and throws a couple of picks?

Calcountry
11-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Green would have to do something to convince me that he deserves to lose his job.Lets make sure to give him that opportunity when it won't cost us a game.

Calcountry
11-06-2006, 03:33 PM
If the Chiefs drop Trent next season for Huard then fine. Trent is older and is at the end of his career but this season should not be taken from him. He's earned the right to be the starter.Life sucks dude, but reality is reality. TG is a recovering severe head trama. What he did in the past is in the past, and it in no way is indicitive of what kind of QB he may or not be today, right now.

Right now, I like what we got going and as long as it is going, I don't want to rock that boat. Sorry, but TG never won us a playoff game so forgive me if I don't feel like we owe him anything other than a thank you.

Deberg_1990
11-06-2006, 03:34 PM
One positive about having Green back is that i would forsee more passing attempts than the 15-20 a game that Huard gets. In essence that would take some plays away from LJ and spare his body some.

Or would Herm/Solari continue to keep the offense scaled back? Its worked wonders so far. Only time will tell......

Wa-Z
11-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I say you give Green at least a shot...if he screws up then let Huard play again.

kaplin42
11-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Same thing happened after Priest got injured in SD. All the fans threw him under the bus too. While I like what Huard has done, Green is the man. And I already know what's going to happen, Green is going to come in and be a little rusty, and you all are gonna be screaming bloody murder to sit him. Have some patience, and respect. Green has been the heart of this team for years, and deserves to get out there and play. If the Chiefs make it to the playoffs, I would take Green any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Huard, and I would much rather have a Green that's been in the mix for the last 7 games than getting him at that time. Think of it this way, at least his arm is fresh!!

The loyalty or lack there of in most football fans is utterly astounding to behold some times.

Short Leash Hootie
so when I said a few weeks ago that Huard is playing as well as Trent Green has ever played for Kansas City and everyone told me I was an idiot and a douche bag etc. tc. etc...

then Whitlock and JoPo say the same thing...

So, at least I'm an idiot saying the same thing as two professional sports writers...

Calcountry
One positive about having Green back is that i would forsee more passing attempts than the 15-20 a game that Huard gets. In essence that would take some plays away from LJ and spare his body some.

Or would Herm/Solari continue to keep the offense scaled back? Its worked wonders so far. Only time will tell......You seriously think they are going to trust Green to come back and be Green just because, he earned it and we owe him?

Calcountry
11-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Same thing happened after Priest got injured in SD. All the fans threw him under the bus too. While I like what Huard has done, Green is the man. And I already know what's going to happen, Green is going to come in and be a little rusty, and you all are gonna be screaming bloody murder to sit him. Have some patience, and respect. Green has been the heart of this team for years, and deserves to get out there and play. If the Chiefs make it to the playoffs, I would take Green any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Huard, and I would much rather have a Green that's been in the mix for the last 7 games than getting him at that time. Think of it this way, at least his arm is fresh!!

The loyalty or lack there of in most football fans is utterly astounding to behold some times.And Priest hasn't had a rep since. Gee, maybe it was Priest's time.

Short Leash Hootie
11-06-2006, 03:58 PM
remember when we thought we were going to have to look for a QB after Green retired...well let's just make Huard our starter and we won't have to worry about it for 3 or 4 more years!!!

**** Croyle.

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 04:02 PM
You seriously think they are going to trust Green to come back and be Green just because, he earned it and we owe him?

No, they're going to trust Green to come back and be Green because he's the better QB.

kaplin42
11-06-2006, 04:02 PM
And Priest hasn't had a rep since. Gee, maybe it was Priest's time.

Still not a reason to throw him under the bus.

Ebolapox
11-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Not to mention if Huard can keep this up for a few years, he is only 33 while Trent is 36. Huard could take us all the way to the point to where Brodie is ready to start. Keeping Huard in is better for right now and better for the future imo

ya know, it's nothing abnormal for a 'good' starting nfl qb to play into their late 30's to early 40's... and still be very productive

and trent really has very little wear on the tires... remember, drafted in 1993, didn't see SIGNIFIGANT time in the nfl until he was with the redskins in 97 and 98 (or so)... down for a year with the rams in 99, backup in 00' under warner IIRC, and our QB from 2001-200?... yeah, he's SUCH AN ANCIENT qb at 36--hell, he could easily play another 3-4 years if we keep him protected-- honestly, huard has played well, but the fact that they had to scale back the playbook (probably as much about protection problems as rust factor/huard than anything else) whereas green opens up the whole playbook (weren't all of us discussing audible situations early in the preseason as far as green, some of us even going as far as to say green might as well be our offensive coordinator) and makes us a better team... when's the last time we saw huard with a bonecrushing block?!?

KCBOSS1
11-06-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm going to repeat myself again and as long as GoChief and whoever else keeps posting this crap.

Trent will very possibly be rusty. I'm sure that idiots, both unloyal fans and needy writers will be screaming from the stands against him like they were when we first signed him. Then He will do his thing and finally shut you up.....AGAIN.

I understand the logic behind keeping Huard as a starter and I would be upset if they did. But Trent is the Man. He is the heart of this offense, The leader. His brains have been on loan to Huard from the sideline since his second game out and there was an immediate change. He was drawing up plays for the offense after the Denver game and assisting the coaching staff. Solari's game calling has improved since Trent has given imput. He has been coaching Damon since the first. He is the leader. period. He's starting.

Davechief
11-06-2006, 08:31 PM
If one of us were to have some kind of an accident that would make it impossible for us to do our job the people we work for, or work with would have to step up and take care of our duties. Damon Huard has done that, and performed exceedingly well. It is interesting to speculate on if Trent will be rusty or not upon his return, but he does deserve to return. None of us would be willing to give up our job unless we simply wern't able to perform our dailys tasks any longer. All Damon has done is do what he is being paid to do. I know I feel a lot better about our team now than I did the day Trent went down. My gut feeling is that with the way they are bringing Trent along slowly is that he lights it up when he returns and takes this team the rest of the way into the playoffs.