PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Paint Recommendations

Scaga
11-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Getting ready to start painting a few rooms in the interior of the house.
Anybody have any suggestions on what type of paint (brand) to go with? I've got 3 kids, two of which will be pretty rough with the walls. Needing something durable / washable....

I'm only looking at 3-4 gallons, so price really isn't an issue.

Thanks!

Phobia
11-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Sherwin Williams Duration is really good for kids.

Donger
11-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Sherwin Williams. Or, the best interior latex that Home Depot sells. I forget the name, but it's the best paint I've ever used. About $30/gallon.

Also, please don't go flat. Get eggshell or satin.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 12:55 PM
You can get flat in a Sherwin Williams Duration if you wish. It's good stuff.

DMAC
11-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Sherwin Williams Duration is really good for kids.We just recently went with Sherman Williams for our entire house. A couple of days ago I was cleaning a spot on the wall with just a wet washrag and it smeared the paint a bit.

Kind of strange. I primed the walls and spent quite a bit more for the Sherman Williams rather than just going to Wal-Mart.

Pretty dissapointed.

Donger
11-06-2006, 12:57 PM
We just recently went with Sherman Williams for our entire house. A couple of days ago I was cleaning a spot on the wall with just a wet washrag and it smeared the paint a bit.

Kind of strange. I primed the walls and spent quite a bit more for the Sherman Williams rather than just going to Wal-Mart.

Pretty dissapointed.

Someone didn't stir thoroughly and often.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Which Sherwin Williams product, DMAC? How long had it been on the wall?

SBK
11-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Sherwin Williams, semi-gloss cleans the best, but makes your house look like a rental.

DMAC
11-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Someone didn't stir thoroughly and often.If anything, I stirred too much. Also, put 3 coats on.

DMAC
11-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Which Sherwin Williams product, DMAC? How long had it been on the wall?I will have to check. It wasn't the best they had, I know that.

There were many "qualities" to choose from, it was one of the middle "qualities", I think.

Donger
11-06-2006, 01:04 PM
If anything, I stirred too much. Also, put 3 coats on.

You primed and put on three coats? How long between coats?

DMAC
11-06-2006, 01:07 PM
You primed and put on three coats? How long between coats?A day.

kepp
11-06-2006, 01:07 PM
You can get flat in a Sherwin Williams Duration if you wish. It's good stuff.
Will this hold up to washing/scrubbing dirt/crayon marks off of walls? We're looking to upgrade our paint because currently, when we try to wash one of my 3-year-old's marks off of a wall, it leaves a big streak or spot as clear as day.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 01:08 PM
You should definitely take it up with the store. It doesn't sound right.

Alton deFlat
11-06-2006, 01:10 PM
FWIW, last I knew Shermin Williams manufactured the paint for Wal-Mart. That being said, I would still probably get my paint at Sherwin Williams or a good quality paint at HD. You're still at the mercy of the guy... or girl mixing it for you. You never know who Wal-Mart will have behind the paint counter.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 01:15 PM
FWIW, last I knew Shermin Williams manufactured the paint for Wal-Mart. That being said, I would still probably get my paint at Sherwin Williams or a good quality paint at HD. You're still at the mercy of the guy... or girl mixing it for you. You never know who Wal-Mart will have behind the paint counter.

Home Depot sells Glidden and Behr paint. Neither perform well in consumer tests.

The only thing the paint "mixer" does is add pigment to an existing product and 90% of that process is computerized. The paint "mixer" opens the can and places it below the spigot. Then they close it and drop it into a shaker. Suggesting that the quality of your paint has anything to do with how well they perform is .... well, it's ignorant.

Donger
11-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Home Depot sells Glidden and Behr paint. Neither perform well in consumer tests.

The only thing the paint "mixer" does is add pigment to an existing product and 90% of that process is computerized. The paint "mixer" opens the can and places it below the spigot. Then they close it and drop it into a shaker. Suggesting that the quality of your paint has anything to do with how well they perform is .... well, it's ignorant.

How about the Ralph Lauren? Is that Glidden or Behr?

That's what my wife uses, and she loves it.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 01:21 PM
I don't know anything about the Ralph Lauren paint.

shakesthecat
11-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Paint recommendations.........Ask Naptownchief

stevieray
11-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Benjamin Moore Matte Finish.

Don't listen to these other clowns.

penguinz
11-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Paint every room in the house either bright yellow or dark purple, or a combination of both like the idiots I bought my house from did. Damn morons used a high gloss paint also. Made it a lot of fun to repaint the walls.

Alton deFlat
11-06-2006, 02:14 PM

IGNORANT!! While I'll agree that the person behind the paint counter won't necessarily effect the quality of the paint by their mixing practices, he/she can effect the results. If the person mixing your paint doesn't enter the correct paint number into that computer, you might end up with the wrong color of paint on your walls, and if they're not experienced with that procedure, there's a higher probability of that happening. Considering that I work with painters for five friggin' days week, might give some credence to what I say. You've very rarely ticked me off, but saying that my comments are ignorant, is just that.

DMAC
11-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Paint every room in the house either bright yellow or dark purple, or a combination of both like the idiots I bought my house from did. Damn morons used a high gloss paint also. Made it a lot of fun to repaint the walls.HA. We just remodeled a house where the people put green and white stripes in the bathroom and polyurethaned the green stripes.

The polyurethane was dripped down and they just left it. Strange stuff.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9548/picture004an1.jpg

Phobia
11-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Don't let the word "ignorant" set you off. I didn't use it as an insult.

Alton deFlat
11-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Don't let the word "ignorant" set you off. I didn't use it as an insult.

Well, I appologize.
I had just found out that one of the guys that works for me, broke some parts that we had just received.
:banghead: :cuss:

Que Card QB
11-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Ex-painter here--I used Benjamin Moore almost exclusively without a problem in 5 years of doing many interiors and exteriors. I wouldn't hesitate on Sherwin Williams either, but the key to cleaning is in the sheen, not the brand. There are basically four levels of sheen. Flat (no sheen)--no matter what brand, potential to scrub off, depending on pigment.
Eggshell or satin (low sheen)--washable, borderline "scrubable" and more visually appealing because it won't reflect as much light.
Semi-gloss (pretty sheeny)--scrubable but starts to reflect a lot of light.
Gloss--Put your sunglasses on but very durable.

ChiefsFire
11-06-2006, 04:17 PM
all I have ever used are Porter brand paints..seem to wear well and good price....Silken Touch wears like iron...

Stewie
11-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Go to Gragg's paint. They know their shit.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Graggs carries Benjamin Moore and Porter paints. They're quality paints as well. I'm rather fond of Porter oil based.

Sherwin Williams Duration Interior flat sheen product wears really well.

Bill Lundberg
11-06-2006, 04:27 PM
We just painted the entire interior of our house with Sherman Williams "Cashmere" it is a really good looking low gloss paint. Seems like it will be easy to keep clean and looking good for a long time.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 04:29 PM
I used a lot of Cashmere in my house. I don't recommend it for bathroom use.

Bill Lundberg
11-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I used a lot of Cashmere in my house. I don't recommend it for bathroom use.

I'm ignorant so I have to ask, Why?

Rain Man
11-06-2006, 04:42 PM
We've been using Benjamin Moore on our home remodel. I have no idea if that's a recommendation or not, but they have nice colors.

ChiefsFire
11-06-2006, 04:44 PM
new man law...

No man is allowed to use a paint called Cashmere

DomerNKC
11-06-2006, 04:52 PM
i like watercolors. i also like to fingerpaint.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm ignorant so I have to ask, Why?

It doesn't perform well in moist environments. There are 3 or 4 Sherwin Williams products that are rated better for bathroom use.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Oh - haha - I just caught the "ignorant" comment. Heh heh.

Baconeater
11-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Ex-painter here--I used Benjamin Moore almost exclusively without a problem in 5 years of doing many interiors and exteriors. I wouldn't hesitate on Sherwin Williams either, but the key to cleaning is in the sheen, not the brand. There are basically four levels of sheen. Flat (no sheen)--no matter what brand, potential to scrub off, depending on pigment.
Eggshell or satin (low sheen)--washable, borderline "scrubable" and more visually appealing because it won't reflect as much light.
Semi-gloss (pretty sheeny)--scrubable but starts to reflect a lot of light.
Gloss--Put your sunglasses on but very durable.
I'd recommend the eggshell finish for most interior applications.

As far as brand, I've been painting for 15 years and IMO there's not much difference from one brand to another when it comes to interior paints. I may be ignorant though.

Over-Head
11-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Benjamin Moore Matte Finish.

Don't listen to these other clowns. Finally the voice of reason.
As a contractor I use ONLY:
SICO Select primer / ceiling flat PERIOD END OF STORY

and:
SICO 674-500 base egg shell for walls
Or
Benjamin Moore , "Moorespeck" again in egg shell for wall finish.

Iíve tried them all, and wonít use anything else.