PDA

View Full Version : Should Marvin Lewis Be Fired??

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-06-2006, 03:18 PM
I'm being serious here. I know that he's helped turn around that franchise (so has some great drafting by the FO since 2001), but he's clearly lost control of that team. They have a ton of character issues, poor offensive line play, and a mediocre defense. Shouldn't a defensive genius be able to field a better defense than that, especially with some of the draft picks they've had the last few years??

noa
11-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I don't think they should fire him, but he hasn't been getting the job done lately. I thought that Houshmandzadeh and Chris Henry were perfect illustrations of a lack of institutional control. Slamming your helmet on the field is never acceptable and will never win you an argument (Housh) and not even trying on a pass where you may have been able to get a finger on the ball is just pathetic (Henry).
These guys just do not look good this year, and I'm not saying this out of any Robert-Gathers-related bitterness. If their offense continues to struggle and Chad continues to be frustrated, its going to be a long season in Cincy.

JBucc
11-06-2006, 03:22 PM
nah

Warrior5
11-06-2006, 03:26 PM
As long as they beat the Chargers this week, I could care less whether they fire him or not...

I don't think Lewis should be fired...yet. It does appear the team is imploding due to character issues and lack of discipline (no surprise). He has in fact turned the Bengals team around, and they should at least give him the rest of the season.

Deberg_1990
11-06-2006, 03:27 PM
I think its a wait and see until the end of the year. If they dont make the playoffs then i say yes.

This is his 4th year there and they dont appear to be making any progress. They are regressing when they should be ascending.

It might be time for a new head coach. More of a disciplinarian. The sort of approach that Herm has brought here than DV's(everybodies on vacation) approach.

Rooster
11-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Let him stay. The league made more since when the Bengals sucked.

DMAC
11-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Even though all of that...he still has the Bengals in their best shape since Icky Woods.

They would more than likely be worse off without him.

Anyong Bluth
11-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Why would you fire a guy that has done more in the few years he's been there than anyone else in decades... He has a number of young key guys to improve upon and the guy should be given the opportunity to learn from his mistake in taking on troubled players. He's not the 1st coach to ignore this (i.e. Marty) and realize that it does cost the team in other ways besides talent.

Dave Lane
11-06-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm being serious here. I know that he's helped turn around that franchise (so has some great drafting by the FO since 2001), but he's clearly lost control of that team. They have a ton of character issues, poor offensive line play, and a mediocre defense. Shouldn't a defensive genius be able to field a better defense than that, especially with some of the draft picks they've had the last few years??

You just say that because you are a pacifist. Why? oh why? do you hate America?

Dave

jspchief
11-06-2006, 03:33 PM
After one bad year? No.

However, if I were the owner, I'd have a talk with the GM and coach about targeting better character guys.

Wa-Z
11-06-2006, 03:51 PM
They've had a bunch of injuries, too. I don't care how they do. I hate the Bengals, but we know how it is to lose your LT...and they lost their center, and MLB.

Basileus777
11-06-2006, 03:56 PM
He shouldn't be fired unless things spiral out of control. If the Bengals finish with a losing record and the locker-room falls apart then maybe he should go. The Bengals definitely need to change their draft philosophy though.

HolmeZz
11-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Why not get rid of the bad apples on the team, instead of the coach that's turned the whole franchise around?

The team has some bad personalities and just bad chemistry. Guys like Chris Henry, Frostee Rucker, Odell Thurman, Ahmad Brooks, ect. probably shouldn't all be on the same team.

Basileus777
11-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Why not get rid of the bad apples on the team, instead of the coach that's turned the whole franchise around?

The team has some bad personalities and just bad chemistry. Guys like Chris Henry, Frostee Rucker, Odell Thurman, Ahmad Brooks, ect. probably shouldn't all be on the same team.

The Detroit Lions approach? That would probably be best, but it would require whoever the GM is to admit they were wrong. You also have to consider that these players are a substantial part of the Bengals young talent, especially on defense.

ChiefsCountry
11-06-2006, 04:45 PM
If they fire him, he would be a nice addition as our defensive coordinator.

the Talking Can
11-06-2006, 04:52 PM
we'll see if he learned anything next year...plus, Palmer is obviously not right mentally with his knee...

but they to clean some of the hardasses out of their locker room for sure...

chagrin
11-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Puhhleease - one bad year and he hasn't even gotten a break from you guys? That's absurd, give the guy his fair share of time - geesus.

I mean, I do understand what you're doing, just wanting to debate a topic, but this is not even worth debating.

milkman
11-06-2006, 08:23 PM
we'll see if he learned anything next year...plus, Palmer is obviously not right mentally with his knee...

but they to clean some of the hardasses out of their locker room for sure...

That's so true about Palmer.

He's protecting that knee when he steps into a throw with anybody around.

He's just hitting the ground, then immediately lifting his front foot when he throws.

He's not getting the same zip on the ball as a result, and is missing targets.

KCBOSS1
11-06-2006, 08:37 PM
I think that Marvin Lewis is an outstanding Coach. He's put Cincy on the map again. I think that they definitely should reign in those guys and I look for some pretty serious measures in the offseason.

They still have offensive line problems. They've got a lot of distractions. I think it will actually serve them well to be humbled for a season.