PDA

View Full Version : Huard will be ufa this offseason.

Frankie
11-07-2006, 12:55 PM
So what do you think the Chiefs should/can do?

MeaTy The Pimp
11-07-2006, 12:57 PM
I think the Chiefs should do whatever it takes to ensure that he stays a Chief. He has obviously exceeded the expectations of most.

JBucc
11-07-2006, 12:57 PM
I think Trent will probably want to come back for another year since he missed a lot of this year. Huard would be a moron not to see what he's worth on the FA market..

Frankie
11-07-2006, 12:59 PM
I think the Chiefs should do whatever it takes to ensure that he stays a Chief.
But How? Can they franchise him? Will they promise him a couple of years of being a starter after Green retires and before Croyle (hopefully) develops?

KC-TBB
11-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Who's this Trent guy everybody keeps talking about?

JimNasium
11-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Sign him on the cheap if we can. Whatever we do we shouldn't overpay for him. He's not the future of the franchise.

Frankie
11-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Sign him on the cheap if we can. Whatever we do we shouldn't overpay for him. He's not the future of the franchise.
He may be the immediate future. Sort of a bridge, if you will. I agree with the assertion that Trent may retire AFTER the next season. Will we have our QBOTF (hopefully Croyle) ready by then.

tiptap
11-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Pay the top dollar amount to get a higher draft pick and if he can get that kind of money and the starting job (say Miami, Bears or so) then we have a extra high draft pick and we go with our young guns.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Slap the transition tag on him, and we'll be able to get a 3rd rounder with the ability to match an offer.

Valiant
11-07-2006, 01:53 PM
But How? Can they franchise him? Will they promise him a couple of years of being a starter after Green retires and before Croyle (hopefully) develops?

Are you kidding me, the guy is almost 34 no way in hell he becomes a starter anywhere... His only hope is that a team with a crappy/oft injured starter wants a realiable backup and pays the bucks for it...

Franchise him???? ahahahahha, wait.. ahahahahaha you want to pay a backup the average of the top five QB's in the league for Huard...

------------

Im, the guy has did a fanastic job for what he has been asked to do...

Limit his throws, do not turn it over and do not lose the game... The playcalling is how it is for a reason... If and more then likely Trent will get the same playcalling to ease him back into the game..

Leashed playcalling does not make you a great QB, makes a great system and a defense that actually does it job...

Hell look at plummer last year and this year, that is what a leashed QB is suppose to do.. Do not turn it over, let the running game eat the clock and the defense to make short field for you...

Valiant
11-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Slap the transition tag on him, and we'll be able to get a 3rd rounder with the ability to match an offer.

Okay at least that is way more feasible... But then that bumps his salary for the top 10 QB's in the league, I still do not think a team will want to pay that much for him...

KurtCobain
11-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Okay at least that is way more feasible... But then that bumps his salary for the top 10 QB's in the league, I still do not think a team will want to pay that much for him...

Depends how desperate a team is and how good he looks at that time.

...If he was younger he would be worth a whole lot more

htismaqe
11-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Huard is going to command more money on the open market than we should pay for him.

Count Zarth
11-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Huard is going to command more money on the open market than we should pay for him.

You really think someone will shell out for a 33-year old starting quarterback? When has that happened before? It would have to be a team that only needed a quarterback. Can you think of any?

htismaqe
11-07-2006, 02:15 PM
You really think someone will shell out for a 33-year old starting quarterback? When has that happened before? It would have to be a team that only needed a quarterback. Can you think of any?

Shell out? No.

Pay more for his services than we SHOULD? Absolutely.

JBucc
11-07-2006, 02:16 PM
You really think someone will shell out for a 33-year old starting quarterback? When has that happened before? It would have to be a team that only needed a quarterback. Can you think of any?How much did the Vikes pay for Brad Johnson?

Count Zarth
11-07-2006, 02:18 PM
How much did the Vikes pay for Brad Johnson?

That's different. He was originally the backup.

JBucc
11-07-2006, 02:19 PM
That's different. He was originally the backup.I thought they redid his deal though?

htismaqe
11-07-2006, 02:21 PM
That's different. He was originally the backup.

What will Huard be?

KCChiefsFan88
11-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Damon Huard will be a Raider next year.

King_Chief_Fan
11-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Depends how desperate a team is and how good he looks at that time.

...If he was younger he would be worth a whole lot more

On paper and this year, Huard is 3rd QB in the league. Some may think that it is an anomoly and others won't. There are several QB's he can replace: Brunnel, Plummer (that is fun to write), Walter/Brooks, Losman, Frye, Kitna, the flavor of the week in Miami, Tampa Bay guy. Those come to mind anyway.
He will turn someone's head, but at what price??

Count Zarth
11-07-2006, 02:27 PM
What will Huard be?

I think it's very possible Green retires and Huard is our starter next year.

Hog Farmer
11-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Hueard is no Dumbass! He'll get a raise from the Chiefs and stay right here. He knows this system and THIS system makes him successful. He would rather be a backup making good money than a starter for lets say , The Raiders, getting creamed 9 times a game with a passer rating of 4.

htismaqe
11-07-2006, 02:28 PM
I think it's very possible Green retires and Huard is our starter next year.

That is likely the only scenario in which Huard gets a starting job.

However, I'm guessing Huard might not be happy when he goes back to the bench in two weeks...

John_Wayne
11-07-2006, 02:49 PM
We can't afford to give him starting QB money. I say let him go and spend our money and draft picks on the O-line. With a great O-line, Trent can play for several more years. Then, we can search for and develop a QBotF. Huard is almot Trent's age. He's not the future. We only have enough money for ONE starting (and old) QB on the roster.

Frankie
11-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Are you kidding me, the guy is almost 34 no way in hell he becomes a starter anywhere... His only hope is that a team with a crappy/oft injured starter wants a realiable backup and pays the bucks for it...

Franchise him???? ahahahahha, wait.. ahahahahaha you want to pay a backup the average of the top five QB's in the league for Huard...

------------

Im, the guy has did a fanastic job for what he has been asked to do...

Limit his throws, do not turn it over and do not lose the game... The playcalling is how it is for a reason... If and more then likely Trent will get the same playcalling to ease him back into the game..

Leashed playcalling does not make you a great QB, makes a great system and a defense that actually does it job...

Hell look at plummer last year and this year, that is what a leashed QB is suppose to do.. Do not turn it over, let the running game eat the clock and the defense to make short field for you...
I ASKED those questions. Did not SUGGEST them. Since then i have found Hamas's solution a very doable one.

Frankie
11-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Hueard is no Dumbass! He'll get a raise from the Chiefs and stay right here. He knows this system and THIS system makes him successful. He would rather be a backup making good money than a starter for lets say , The Raiders, getting creamed 9 times a game with a passer rating of 4.
Good point.

Frankie
11-07-2006, 02:54 PM
We can't afford to give him starting QB money. I say let him go and spend our money and draft picks on the O-line. With a great O-line, Trent can play for several more years. Then, we can search for and develop a QBotF. Huard is almot Trent's age. He's not the future. We only have enough money for ONE starting (and old) QB on the roster.
You are too optimistic about Trent and too pessimistic about Croyle.

Valiant
11-08-2006, 01:17 AM
I ASKED those questions. Did not SUGGEST them. Since then i have found Hamas's solution a very doable one.

Yes, me too.. The transition tag is the best option outside of us paying hiem cheaply..

kc-nd
11-08-2006, 05:50 AM
The Raiders need an older quarterback, much like happened with Gannon.

Easy 6
11-08-2006, 06:00 AM
If Trent retires after this season Damon may very well stick around for 2 or 3 years. At this stage of his career i bet he knows how hard it would be to go elsewhere, learn the system & flourish like he has here.

If we can keep him at a reasonable price that doesnt mortgage the future i would love to see him stay. King Kong Brody will be that much more ready when he finally gets his shot.

SDChief
11-08-2006, 06:51 AM
I think the probability of the chiefs resigning Huard is depending on how much they think of Croyle or how ready they think he is. Green's situation could turn into a Steve Young type situation and he could get a concussion everytime he gets sacked. I think that if Herm and Carl think that Croyle is ready at the end of this season, they will not sign Haurd for a ton of cash or a long time. Remember Herm will play young guys. Then we will be stuck with a young QB, and probably an unproven backup. But Huard may be smarter than most, he may stay, I think his possibility of being the starter next year if he stays are better than 50/50 if he does.

Luzap
11-08-2006, 08:10 AM
One thing I would love to see the Chiefs do is accumulate draft picks ~ the Bilicek (sp?) model... Huard gives us an opportunity to get some picks as compensation. Obviously, in retrospect, it's too bad we just signed him to a one year deal. The Transition Tag would be one option ~ but will we need the Franchise Tag for Gonzo? (We can’t use both). Re-signing him and then making a trade would be another option. I do believe there are other teams that need a good QB ~ even a 34 yr old one. In the right situation, he would definitely be worth something. Regardless of how it works out, I think our multi-year strategy needs to focus on accumulating picks. Herm has done a great job in making our team younger. Let’s give him some help. Here’s a question I have that someone might be able to answer:If we place the Transition Tag on Huard and he gets an offer, we could pick up a 3rd rounder as compensation. Is there any rule against us going to the offering team and saying, “we’re going to match unless you give us a 1st?”LuzWe need to get creative…