PDA

View Full Version : If it was LJ or Tony G would there be a controversy?

GoHuge
11-07-2006, 04:44 PM
The QB controversy is getting pretty insane and I heard this scenario on the radio today. We've all heard "you don't lose your job to injury." I agree with that especially when it's your QB that hasn't missed a game in five years, pro bowler, multiple 4000 yards seasons, #1 offense, and showed now signs of slowing down, but I'm also a realist. Trent hasn't played the entire season and with the way Damon is playing, the offense seems to be coming together. Trent would probably, if not certainly be rusty and this team is in the playoff race. I don't know if you can take the chance to work somebody in and get them up to game speed when everybody else is in mid-season form. I don't know what I would do if I was Herm. I'm glad I don't have to be the one to make the decision. But what if that was one of our other superstar skill position players?

If Tony went out in the first game and Kris Wilson has 650 yards with 7 TD's right now and seemed to only be getting better do you keep him out there and sit Tony?

Same with LJ. If Bennett has 900 yards and 14 TD's are you supposed to just set him down because the "starter" is back? Make LJ give Bennett a breather? We all know what a mess that would be.

I know QB is the most important position on the field and you can't compare that to another position, but you can compare the scenario with superstar skill players. I don't think that Bennett or Wilson could match TG or LJ's production, but none of us thought that Huard could run this offense the way he has either. This is exactly how we all found out about Tom Brady and Kurt Warner. The starter goes down and the backup meets or exceeds the starter's performance. The team develops a chemistry with that personnel and now everybodies afraid it's gonna get f**ked up. If team chemistry is Herm's reason for sticking with Huard, the guy that's winning, the guy that's gettin it done, or whatever the same would apply to other skill players. Nobodies job is safe if your holding out the guy with the resume because of chemistry.

Personally I'd like to see Trent back in there but I also want to go to the playoffs. Nobody knows what will happen when he goes back in. Will he be better than Huard? Worse? Who knows. If we where two games up or out of it than I wouldn't hesitate for one second, but we can't afford to give up one game. I don't know if anyone at One Arrowhead Drive is going to take that chance either regardless of what there saying with Trent under the doctors umbrella.

How would you guys feel if it was LJ or Tony? There the best, team leaders, etc......but how do you sit the guy that's getting it done, maybe even better?

Rain Man
11-07-2006, 04:51 PM
If Trent is really a top-five quarterback like we've been saying the past few years, there should be no question that he comes back and starts. As pleased as I am with Damon, I think that's where I'm landing on the issue.

htismaqe
11-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Yes, it absolutely would be a controversy.

In 99% of the cases, a QB controversy involves an unproven backup and a starting QB that isn't getting the job done.

Guys don't get replaced solely because of injuries except in extreme circumstances, and there's a reason for it.

KcMizzou
11-07-2006, 04:56 PM
If Trent is really a top-five quarterback like we've been saying the past few years, there should be no question that he comes back and starts. As pleased as I am with Damon, I think that's where I'm landing on the issue.Yep. I don't like the fact that Herm has made it a legitimate controversy with his comments today.

JBucc
11-07-2006, 04:57 PM
There would be controversy but not as much as there is with a QB since that's the leader of the team and you can split time with RB's, TE's etc.

Crashride
11-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Ive been saying it all along. Herm is the type of QB that wants he groups to be comfortable with each other. That is caused by playing consistanly with each other. He did it with the oline by keeping black in for turley when he came back from a back injury, and like I said in other threads why not do that for Damon? Its not like people are turning there back on Green, its just that right now thats what would be best for the team, since Huards playing at a high level. Now if Green comes back and dominates better than Manning or something I will gladly eat my crow. But until then start Hot Hand Huard.

Short Leash Hootie
11-07-2006, 05:02 PM
There is one huge difference here:

You can play two RB's and you can play two TE's, but you can't play two QB's...

JBucc
11-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Ive been saying it all along. Herm is the type of QB that wants he groups to be comfortable with each other. That is caused by playing consistanly with each other. Trent has played with most of these guys the past three or four years. You could hand him a ball of clay and he could probably mold you a model of Casey Weigman's ass down to the last zit with his eyes closed.

KcMizzou
11-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Trent has played with most of these guys the past three or four years. You could hand him a ball of clay and he could probably mold you a model of Casey Weigman's ass down to the last zit with his eyes closed.That is so wrong.

LMAO

Count Zarth
11-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Running back and tight end is a completely different deal.

If Bennett and Wilson were tearing it up, YES, OBVIOUSLY you keep them in there as the starters.

But they won't take every rep. You still get LJ and Gonzo on the field to get their share of touches.

FAX
11-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Funny one, Mr. JBucc. And, true too.

The way I see it, Trent is probably as tired as anyone of the controversy talk. When Herm calls number 10, Trent will come in and light it up, if for no other reason, to shut down the doubters. It will look like Mr. Redrum at a quilting bee.

FAX

Crashride
11-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Trent has played with most of these guys the past three or four years. You could hand him a ball of clay and he could probably mold you a model of Casey Weigman's ass down to the last zit with his eyes closed.

LOL at that. But the line has changed a LOT since hes was making clay ass statues, it showed in the Cinci game. He was running for his life. Huard is a little more comfortable right now than Trent will be when he starts. Add the fact hes gonna be nervous to take that first hit and you got yourself a disaster. But I hope im wrong, becasue ive been right so far

Tinlar
11-07-2006, 05:22 PM
I think you ease Trent back in. Start Huard and play him until we get to a comfortable score (given who we have coming up on the list I hope we get to a comfortable score) and then work Green in some in the 4th. Once Trent gets his timing down he's the man.

Halfcan
11-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Trent has never gotten the respect he deserves.

underEJ
11-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Herm better get it right. He clearly has no QB Karma. Here's a chance to pick some up.

KurtCobain
11-07-2006, 05:52 PM
amen to that.

FAX
11-07-2006, 05:53 PM

So true, Mr. Halfcan. He's one of the best QBs of this decade and is rarely mentioned among the elite. Vick gets more pub than Trent and he's little more than an athletic whiney baby man. The world is unfair and like a big blue discouraging ball.

FAX

Short Leash Hootie
11-07-2006, 06:11 PM
he retired I thought

GoHuge
11-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Well I just want Trent to be hell on wheels when he comes back. One of his biggest assets is his knowledge of this offense. If anybody can jump back in after this long of time off it would be him. He's bounced back from numerous injuries and he aint scared of shit.

KcMizzou
11-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Well I just want Trent to be hell on wheels when he comes back. One of his biggest assets is his knowledge of this offense. If anybody can jump back in after this long of time off it would be him. He's bounced back from numerous injuries and he aint scared of shit.Amen. It would kick so much ass if he came back and put up 350 4 TD's and 0 INT's.

I can't help but root for the guy.

Huard's been fantastic... and I love him for it. But Trent's the man.