PDA

View Full Version : Tony G's contract ends this year or next?

chiefsfan1963
11-07-2006, 06:49 PM
I thought he signed a 7 year contract in '02. Wouldn't that mean his contract expire after the 2008 season?

penguinz
11-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Last year was voided if he met certain stats which he has met. So it became a 6 year.

DaFace
11-07-2006, 06:51 PM
I don't know the details, but he has options to void the contract at various points based on his performance. He's performed like a madman, so he's able to void it after this year.

chiefsfan1963
11-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Do fans in KC see him retiring a Chief or will we lose him?

penguinz
11-07-2006, 06:53 PM
He will retire as a chief.

JBucc
11-07-2006, 06:56 PM
What they said

noa
11-07-2006, 07:30 PM
I think the Chiefs have four priorities for signings/extensions:
TonyG, LJ, Kawika, Jared Allen.
If Carl lets any of these guys walk, I suspect I won't be the only one on this board to call for his head.

Chiefaholic
11-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Tony said he will void the last year, so it's up to Carl and lamar to pony up the cash to make him the highest paid again.

redbrian
11-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Tony said he will void the last year, so it's up to Carl and lamar to pony up the cash to make him the highest paid again.

Itís not a matter of Lamar and Carl opening the wallet itís a matter of cap and contract length.

In order to give Tony a big bonus the Chiefs would have to sign Tony to at least a 5yr contract to spread that bonus over, or the cap hit would be highly unfavorable to the team.

In four or five years is Tony going to be worth tying up that much money.

The other option would be to franchise Tony for the next two or three years, or more likely you look for a compromise some where in the middle, as neither side holds all of the cards.

Basileus777
11-07-2006, 08:01 PM
I think the Chiefs have four priorities for signings/extensions:
TonyG, LJ, Kawika, Jared Allen.
If Carl lets any of these guys walk, I suspect I won't be the only one on this board to call for his head.

Is Jared Allen a RFA? I hope so, at least then we can give him a first round tender if we can't agree to a long term deal with him.

htismaqe
11-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Itís not a matter of Lamar and Carl opening the wallet itís a matter of cap and contract length.

In order to give Tony a big bonus the Chiefs would have to sign Tony to at least a 5yr contract to spread that bonus over, or the cap hit would be highly unfavorable to the team.

In four or five years is Tony going to be worth tying up that much money.

The other option would be to franchise Tony for the next two or three years, or more likely you look for a compromise some where in the middle, as neither side holds all of the cards.

Actually it IS a matter of Lamar opening the wallet. ANY contract can be fit under the cap if the GM is willing, and Carl has proven that he can structure contracts appropriately.

It's ALL about the bonus.

noa
11-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Is Jared Allen a RFA? I hope so, at least then we can give him a first round tender if we can't agree to a long term deal with him.

Yes, he will be an RFA in 2007

We are working on an extension according to this link:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2837

Although I hate that he has two DUIs, it might be some sort of leverage for us. I have faith we will be smart about him.

redbrian
11-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Actually it IS a matter of Lamar opening the wallet. ANY contract can be fit under the cap if the GM is willing, and Carl has proven that he can structure contracts appropriately.

It's ALL about the bonus.

You cannot give a huge bonus on a 1 year contract, you have to spread that out over a min. of 5 years or the hit to the cap will be huge, so it's more a matter of time than money, how many more years does Tony have to spread that money over.

Basileus777
11-07-2006, 08:28 PM
You cannot give a huge bonus on a 1 year contract, you have to spread that out over a min. of 5 years or the hit to the cap will be huge, so it's more a matter of time than money, how many more years does Tony have to spread that money over.

If a team doesn't want to keep a player long they will just backload the contract, not give a player a 1 year deal. None of these players in question will even be in consideration for a one year contract anyways (unless its a RFA tender).