PDA

View Full Version : Novell Sells Out SuSe to Microshaft

Simplex3
11-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Un-freaking-believable. I'm at a loss for words to describe this other than "F**K YOU!!!", so here's an article on it:

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20061102175508403

UPDATE: Looks like this could get ugly since some of the Open Source lawyers are saying this new agreement may invalidate Novell's ability to distribute the Linux Kernel. Wouldn't that be sweet.

Simplex3
11-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Another article with a very aprapos title:

"Microsoft and Novell: Fox marries chicken, both move into henhouse"

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/index.php?p=2369

SLAG
11-07-2006, 10:11 PM
:eek:

Say it aint so

Guru
11-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Damnit Bill Gates!!!

So what will you move to now Simplex?

Simplex3
11-07-2006, 10:13 PM
This may be the final straw for me and Linux. I'm going to try and get my wireless NIC in my laptop working on FreeBSD and then I'll be outta the Linux business. FreeBSD went through this patent infringement or not nightmare years ago and is totally clean now. I'll keep you all up to date on what I find.

This is bulls**t. :shake:

JBucc
11-07-2006, 10:16 PM
LMAO

Guru
11-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Yet, Microsoft is not a Monopoly anymore. yeah right.

Simplex3
11-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Damnit Bill Gates!!!

So what will you move to now Simplex?
Booyah. The FreeBSD ports collection has the firmware and drivers for Intel Wireless NICs now. That was my last barrier to entry since NVidia has already released a binary 3D driver for their cards on FreeBSD. PCBSD has also been acquired by an actual company (iXsystems), so they'll have some financial backing now. Those who aren't comfortable installing FreeBSD from scratch may want to go with PCBSD.

For the uninitiated, PCBSD is a FreeBSD "distro" with a graphical installer and several goodies built in, plus a package management system they call PBI. The upside of PBI is that since it runs on FreeBSD, which is released as an OS instead of a Kernel and seperate userland, it doesn't have to use dependencies.

http://www.pcbsd.com/

Looks like I'll be loading up some fresh software tomorrow while I work. I think I'm going to use this opportunity to waste the last Windows partition that I have. Any Winblows that will find it's way to me will be for testing purposes only and will be running in a VMWare virtual machine where it can be killed readily.

Party on, Wayne.

Simplex3
11-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Ok, PCBSD is the way to go. They've done an outstanding job of making this thing useable, even enjoyable for the average person, yet going down to the base of the OS doesn't stop anything from working. This may be the finest distro I've ever worked with and it runs on the best OS I've ever worked with. This whole deal may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

SLAG
11-08-2006, 10:59 PM
what kind of GUI interface does it use?

KDE? or some sort of free bsd stuff i dont know bout

Simplex3
11-08-2006, 11:38 PM
what kind of GUI interface does it use?

KDE? or some sort of free bsd stuff i dont know bout
KDE running on X. Odds are you will barely notice a difference.

I'm getting better xfer rates on my WPA2 wireless connections and usb drives. The laptop also just feels snappier. Most apps load in about half the time.

What it's going to lack is YaST. If you want to configure some of those things it's going to require actually editing some files. However, with even a small amount of *nix experience you'll find it easier to edit the files than it is to find it in some 3rd party GUI util.

SLAG
11-09-2006, 12:16 AM
what about the File System

is it REISER?

Simplex3
11-09-2006, 05:36 AM
what about the File System

is it REISER?
The BSDs use UFS2. Never tried to mount a non-UFS2 partition in FreeBSD, not sure how that works. You're going to need a UFS2 partition to boot from, however. As for the technical merits of the file systems, UFS2 is fan-damn-tastic, though.

This is not a choice to be made lightly. You most certainly want to do some homework first. :)

KC Jones
11-09-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm still holding out some hope for Novell not to have ****ed this up. I think it has more to do with Mono than anything else. Keep in mind that MS has plenty of patents on individual libraries and copyrights on APIs that are used in the .NET framework. It would be very hard to build a true .NET runtime port for Linux that could easily run existing .NET applications without violating the patents that MS holds. This deal frees up Mono on Novell.

However this will make me look harder at other distros. While I want to believe Novell didn't sell us out, Microsofts history in these sorts of deals is pretty good cause for concern. It could be that it is simply worth the $300 million MS spent to make sure the patent/copyright FUD cloud is still out there now that the SCO suit is clearly circling the drain. MS could never really use their patents to sue Linux users, becaue IBM would likely nuke their ass with it's much larger patent library.

Otter
11-09-2006, 01:54 PM
I have no other words for this other than 'absolutely' 'disgusting'.

morphius
11-09-2006, 02:06 PM
This is going to be interesting, and will keep me going down the Fedora line I guess.

I'm not exactly sure why Novell feels it is okay to trust MS this time, I guess this goes into the shame on you category.

ChiefsLV
11-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Money conquers all.

KC Jones
11-09-2006, 09:09 PM
This is going to be interesting, and will keep me going down the Fedora line I guess.

I'm not exactly sure why Novell feels it is okay to trust MS this time, I guess this goes into the shame on you category.

They are desperate. The Sun is setting rapidly on their Netware revenues, and the Suse Linux side of the business hasn't made up the difference fast enough. The money buys them time.

Simplex3
11-09-2006, 10:23 PM
They are desperate. The Sun is setting rapidly on their Netware revenues, and the Suse Linux side of the business hasn't made up the difference fast enough. The money buys them time.
At what cost to them and the rest of us? Novell should have looked around and seen that everyone that partners with MS gets swallowed up in the end. In 5 years when this agreement runs out they're screwed.

Mr. Laz
11-10-2006, 12:35 PM
that sucks ......

if you can't beat'em ......... buy'em

Guru
01-24-2007, 05:41 AM
How is BSD working out for you Simplex?

Simplex3
01-24-2007, 06:04 AM
How is BSD working out for you Simplex?
Worked out Ok, but I did need to move my laptop back to Linux because of something that I can't remember now, so I used Kubuntu. It's Mono-free. Since I was learning Kubuntu desktop anyway I put it on my desktop PC. So, I'm back to 0 BSD PCs with a GUI on them.