PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Van Halen's son joins the band

ZepSinger
11-10-2006, 08:54 AM
van linken (http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/10/music.vanhalen.reut/index.html)

Eddie Van Halen's teenage son joins the band
POSTED: 9:28 a.m. EST, November 10, 2006

NEW YORK (Billboard) -- Eddie Van Halen has brought his 15-year-old son, Wolfgang, into Van Halen as the veteran rock band's new bass player, a spokesperson told Billboard.com.

Father and son, along with Eddie's drummer brother Alex, have been rehearsing for a 2007 tour, but it is unknown who will serve as the band's vocalist. (Wolfgang's substitution for original bass player Michael Anthony was first reported by news Web site TMZ.com a week ago.)

Rumors continue to swirl that original singer David Lee Roth, who was replaced by Sammy Hagar in the mid-1980s, will return to the fold, despite years of enmity. Roth, who has recently worked as a radio DJ and a paramedic, told Billboard.com in May that he saw it "absolutely as an inevitability."

No details have been provided about the departure of Anthony, a fan favorite who generally kept out of the internecine warfare in the band.

As for the musical acumen of Wolfgang, Eddie Van Halen enthused to Howard Stern in September, "If I excel at the speed of sound, he excels at the speed of light. This kid is just a natural."

Van Halen is one of nine acts on the ballot for the 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction.

Brock
11-10-2006, 08:58 AM
That's messed up on many levels.

Archie F. Swin
11-10-2006, 08:59 AM
but Anthony was responsible fror those kick ass vocal harmonies...that sucks

ZepSinger
11-10-2006, 09:13 AM

Wait till they share a groupie backstage for the first time. :shake:

Frazod
11-10-2006, 09:20 AM
To hell with him and his brat.

Bowser
11-10-2006, 09:33 AM
but Anthony was responsible fror those kick ass vocal harmonies...that sucks

Exactly. But on the other hand, his son can't up and leave the band. Especially if he still lives with dad.

Too bad Eddie is such a damned head case. He screwed up what could be argued as the best party rock band ever.

Brock
11-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Rumor has it that Mike Anthony is staying with Hagar out of personal preference, so who knows what's true.

Halfcan
11-10-2006, 10:11 PM
If VH comes out with new material-I mean a WHOLE CD not just a single song to sell another Greatest Hits offering-I might go see them. If it is just to tour with Roth-I will pass.

As far as Wolfgang-the kid has been playing since he learned to walk. He grew up around Eddie playing all the time-so I would bet the kid rocks. With a name like Wolfgang Van Halen-was there ever a doubt he would be a Rocker??

Ari Chi3fs
11-10-2006, 11:19 PM
So Wolfgang was born around the time that For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was released.

headsnap
11-11-2006, 05:44 AM

but mostly this part...

Roth, who has recently worked as a radio DJ and a paramedic

Easy 6
11-11-2006, 06:50 AM
but mostly this part...

I thought that was kinda cool of DLR, doing something non-glamorous that has a real value to society, it was a very surprising choice to me. I say hats off to Dave for trying it.

Bald but Beautiful
11-12-2006, 09:38 AM
A lot of people are "loyal" to Michael Anthony, and I must say I am too, which his high end harmonies and him always being the "everyman" of Van Halen. I am pretty sure that Wolfie is playing bass on Ed's solo project so calling him THE bassist as of now maybe true but I feel that after Ed gets thing worked out with DLR he may address the Michael Anthony issue. Even though Ed has been for some time systemically trying to MA out of the band(back in '81 he tried to get Billy Sheehan in the band which is fact confirmed by Sheehan himself). Recently Ed had Michael Anthony cede all rights to the name Van Halen making him just a hired gun in the band for the '04 tour. With the a possible induction into the RRHOF looming, I feel that Ed will have a change of heart and want Mike back if MA is willing to be a hired gun again. On the tour, possibly Wolfie will get to jam with his old man and uncle for a couple of tunes while DLR and MA gets a drink. By the way, MA is not the bassist for Sammy Hagar, Mona is.

Bowser
11-12-2006, 09:45 AM
I always wonder what Van Halen would have evolved into if Patty Smyth had not been pregnant when Eddie asked her to join the band after Dave left. Always thought she had strong vocals, and would have meshed well with the rest of the guys.

Brock
02-19-2007, 08:50 AM
When did Jeff Goldblum join Van Halen?

Easy 6
02-19-2007, 08:56 AM
When did Jeff Goldblum join Van Halen?

Thanks for that pic Brock, i'm gonna go get the new Rolling Stone today.

Easy 6
02-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks for that pic Brock, i'm gonna go get the new Rolling Stone today.

Based on the assumption that that is the new cover???

Fire Me Boy!
02-19-2007, 09:11 AM
I thought that was kinda cool of DLR, doing something non-glamorous that has a real value to society, it was a very surprising choice to me. I say hats off to Dave for trying it.
I'm betting it was to get closer to the meds.

Easy 6
02-19-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm betting it was to get closer to the meds.

LMAO ...could be, maybe since he wasnt so famous anymore "Dr.Bob" quit returning his calls.

Brock
02-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Based on the assumption that that is the new cover???

I doubt it.