PDA

View Full Version : What kind of computer should I buy my son?

siberian khatru
11-10-2006, 02:41 PM
We're going to surprise our 11-year-old with a PC this Christmas. He wants to get into PC games, particularly RPGs. However, we also don't want to spend lavishly on a top-of-the-line model. Basically, we need something with a video card and memory that will play those games -- not interested in fastest, biggest, surround sound, etc.

I've been out of the loop on PC gaming for nearly a decade, so I don't know what to look for anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

What should I be looking for in shopping? Can I get something that will easily handle PC games (particularly RPGs) for, say, $600 or less?

NewChief
11-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Get him a Commodore 64 off of Ebay with all the Bards Tale games. He'll be the envy of his friends.

siberian khatru
11-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Get him a Commodore 64 off of Ebay with all the Bards Tale games. He'll be the envy of his friends.

Haha. I want him to live HIS childhood, not relive mine!

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2006, 05:42 PM
It depends on your level of technological acumen. You could go the build it yourself route, which is easier than most people think. You can build a robust gaming machine for 1/3 what you would pay from a place like Dell for one of their XPS series. If you know someone who is a bit of a techy, they can do it for you, in fact. If you want to go the easier route and buy a preassembled PC that would be good for gaming $600 bucks might be a little tough.

Count Alex's Losses
11-11-2006, 06:21 PM
I'd just browse the desktop PCs on newegg.

DaFace
11-11-2006, 06:39 PM
There's a killer deal going on at Dell right now you might want to check out if you can buy in the next few days.

GO HERE (http://www.fatwallet.com/redirect/bounce.php?afsrc=1&url=http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=04&kc=65013&oc=bdpzzeb&x=8&y=14)

It's somewhat basic as configured, but I was able to get this for $599 (plus tax).

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 524 (3.06GHz, 533FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M)
160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 8MB cache
Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
19 inch E197FP Analog Flat Panel
128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

That would certainly be able to play most games out there today.

irishjayhawk
11-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Wow, that's pretty good.

Fruit Ninja
11-12-2006, 09:47 AM
i understand you want your son to live his childhood, but my god dont let him get into WoW type games so young. A RPG game Everquest stole my late 20's i am so glad these types of games were not around when i was a kid. lol

Anyways, thats a pretty good deal. He should have good fun with it :)

siberian khatru
11-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Do I need a dual-core processor?

DaFace
11-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Do I need a dual-core processor?

I've certainly heard you can tell the difference between the single and dual-cores, but I'm not sure you'll be able to get it under $600 if you go that way.

siberian khatru
11-12-2006, 10:14 AM
I've certainly heard you can tell the difference between the single and dual-cores, but I'm not sure you'll be able to get it under $600 if you go that way.

Yes, it certainly will boost the price. You think it's worth the extra?

DaFace
11-12-2006, 10:30 AM

For pure gaming, the standard P4 is probably fine for now. However, newer applications are being designed to take advantage of the multicore processors out there. Long-term, the dual core will be a good upgrade.

So I guess yes, but that's a pretty weak recommendation.

irishjayhawk
11-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Yes, because you're looking for it to play games in the future. I mean dual cores are becoming mainstream and people are designing things for them (as DaFace said). Plus quad cores are coming out early next year, so why be stuck back in single core land.

irishjayhawk
11-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Oh, and if I may make one suggestion. Try to get him to experiment with things other than Windows. I wish I did.

Not saying don't buy a Windows machine, just don't let him get too comfortable. Plus Vista is coming soon so XP will be "outdated" LMAO.

Mr. Laz
11-12-2006, 11:39 AM
keep your eye out ... there should be some real good deals on Black Friday.

Fruit Ninja
11-12-2006, 11:39 AM
he says he wanted it for gaming, why would he try other OS's? i was todl you cant game with a say linux machine.

Pants
11-12-2006, 04:06 PM
www.cyberpowerinc.com

A pretty good way to get a computer if you can't build one yourself. I would never buy anything from Dell/Sony/HP/etc. You want a fresh, clean system with the components YOU picked to get the most out of your money.

Ultra Peanut
11-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Buy a 360, Metro.

Mr. Laz
11-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Buy a 360, Metro.
because he said his son wanted to get into RPG's

PC are better for that imo

Ultra Peanut
11-12-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm not talking to the cool khat in the OP.

Inglewood in da 'ouse, Compton in da 'ouse, Langley Village in da 'ouse... aiiiiigh.

Pants
11-13-2006, 03:10 AM
I'm not talking to the cool khat in the OP.

Inglewood in da 'ouse, Compton in da 'ouse, Langley Village in da 'ouse... aiiiiigh.

Mad love goin out to my Berkshire brothers on lock down, all those doing time for keepin it real. Big up the Eatonwhit crew, hear me now in the housing projects of Langley Village, big up the most wanted Harrow crew. Shout goin out to the Egham posse, shout going out to the Eatonwhit crew... shit, we done that already...

Oh, and I'll get a 360 as soon as you send me $500 in the mail, Peanut.

irishjayhawk
11-13-2006, 12:11 PM
he says he wanted it for gaming, why would he try other OS's? i was todl you cant game with a say linux machine.

I know this. I was just trying to give words of advice. Perhaps a dual boot.

But yeah, you're right, for games Windows is the best, sadly.