PDA

View Full Version : Gruden to Ohio State?

DaWolf
01-14-2001, 08:10 PM
NCAA | Buckeyes Interested In Gruden??- posted at KFFL (www.kffl.com)
13:30 ET: Paul Needell reports for the Newark Star-Ledger the buzz around the NFL on Friday was Ohio State University was preparing a 10-year contract worth $25 million for Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden to succeed John Cooper.

I don't see it happening...

gh4chiefs
01-14-2001, 08:18 PM
Why would an NFL coach, one victory away from making the Super Bowl this year, want to go to the college ranks?

chiefsfan
01-14-2001, 08:24 PM
Two words, three syllables:

AL DAVIS

NaptownChief
01-15-2001, 08:56 AM
Cause there is a lot more stability and it is much easier to stay on top in college...Odds are outstanding that he would live to see the end of that 10 year contract... In the NFL even if you win a ring you are only two or three below average seasons removed from having everyone calling for your head...The NFL is designed to be cyclical, bad teams become good and good become bad very quickly due to the design of the draft and free agency...

ROYC75
01-15-2001, 09:17 AM
IMHO,don't feel this will happen,can only wish that it does!

AJKCFAN
01-15-2001, 09:20 AM
God, I'd love to see that.

That position would be the only one that could pry him away from Oakland, since he is an Ohio native.

However, he has every right to feel the Raiders are going to win the Super Bowl next year, so it would be awfully difficult to imagine him leaving now.

Still, we can dream, can't we?

NaptownChief
01-15-2001, 09:30 AM
I could definitely see him wanting that job...It is a better job, more $ and you have to remember that the Raiders best players are pretty long in the tooth...Gannon and Brown aren't getting any younger plus Eric Allen on the other side of the ball could be thrown into that mix...They should be good again next year but the future is not that bright is you look at the age at some of their key positions. Their O and D lines are young and solid, but their LB's are very old. I would not want to be coaching that team in a year or two cause there is going to be more holes than swiss cheese.

[Edited by jl80 on 01-15-2001 at 10:32 AM]

One Arrowhead Dave
01-15-2001, 02:17 PM
I doubt any Gruden/Ohio State connection.
Oregon's Mike Bilotti is in Columbus today touring the Buckeye facilities.....

DaWolf
01-15-2001, 02:27 PM
Yeah, apparently the perception that he might consider it is because he is one of the lowest paid head coaches in the league...

Oxford
01-16-2001, 05:48 AM
What a hoot (but I agree it won't happen). A mercenary leaving a mercenary. Let's see, if he does leave than Al has his choice of Gunther Cunningham or Art Shell as head coach.

RaiderCorporate
01-16-2001, 11:37 AM
Keep dreaming.

Raiders picked up Gruden's option. Gruden is signed through 2002...

DaWolf
01-16-2001, 12:10 PM
Corporate,
That does not preclude him from taking a college job.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2001/0116/1018781.html

But again, I don't see it happening...

ROYC75
01-16-2001, 12:35 PM
Nor do I see it happening...but didn't think DV would be here too!

1 could only hope! :D

Go Chucky..OSU needs you,go home!

NaptownChief
01-16-2001, 01:41 PM
I don't want him to leave. IMO they are set up for a major collapse in the next year or two and I don't want any excuses when they do...Here is why:

1)They greatly overachieved this year in a rare season were there were no real good teams.

2)They played a very soft schedule: 9'ers,Brown Stains, 2 Bolts, Atlanta and Carolina plus the AFC West overall was near a all time low.

3)There best players Gannon and Brown plus all of their linebackers, WR's and Eric Allen are very old with no up and coming prospects behind them...

There offensive and defensive lines are pretty solid but outside of that the only bright spots they have are their two rookie kickers...

Based on those three reasons mention above I fully believe that this year of success will be a mere aberration even with a good quality coach like GRUDOG at the helm...Trust me on this fellas

ROYC75
01-16-2001, 02:00 PM
jl

You have a very good point,I too feel that they were not as good as the record indicated,but can't argue with them,they whooped us!I HATE THAT!:mad:

They will have to draft well to replace them the next 2 yrs,next year does look interesting!

DaWolf
01-16-2001, 03:44 PM
From CBS Sportsline:

"League sources told SportsLine.com that Raiders officials on Tuesday afternoon began calling agents for potential Gruden replacements, with University of Miami coach Butch Davis at or near the top of their list."

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,3367244_59,00.html

[Edited by DaWolf on 01-16-2001 at 05:59 PM]

Marty McDonald
01-16-2001, 04:40 PM
This report was first started by Fred Edelstein last Friday. Just a note on the situation

DaWolf
01-16-2001, 04:58 PM
Uh oh, Edelstein. There goes all the credibility of this story... :)

DaWolf
01-16-2001, 09:55 PM
Like I thought, he rejected the job. It'll be a pleasure kicking your *** next year, Chucky...

BigOlChiefsfan
01-18-2001, 01:40 PM
See what the Bay has to say about Al and Chucky:

Davis' shabby treatment of Gruden gives the rumors unwarranted credibility
By Gary Peterson column
--------------------------------------
THE INTERNET HUMMED Tuesday with news that Ohio State was playing a very public game of kissy face with Raiders coach Jon Gruden. The radio crackled with new developments, each rumor doubling back on itself to invent something even bigger and more sensational.
In large part it was a game the media like to play, called, "Did You Hear The Latest About Billy Martin?" It's all about trying to be even more current than reality, and at times, like Tuesday, it turns into a roaring, fragrant inferno.
This particular inferno was fueled by a coach who is the hottest thing toting a sheet of scripted plays, and a coaching vacancy that is going to make someone a wealthy and intensely scrutinized man. To be fair, there may have been a grain of truth in there somewhere. Ohio State athletics director Andy Geiger, perhaps, leaking Gruden's name to see how high it would fly.
It flew pretty darned high, as it turned out. Watching it sail across the sky wasn't such a bad way to spend a day. But in the end it appears to have been so much baseless yammering.
Unnecessary baseless yammering, we might add. When reports had Gruden flying to Ohio, he was sitting in his Alameda office. When other reports had him accepting the Ohio State job at 8 a.m. this morning (Pretend Standard Time), he was denying any such thing from his Pleasanton home.
We're going to assume there was some inconvenience involved, possibly even some angst, given that a certain sports talk radio station took the developing story and strapped a jet pack to its back.
And in the end, it all could have been avoided.
You knew this discussion eventually would get around to Al Davis, didn't you?
Gruden was little more than promise and ambition when he got the Raiders job three years ago. At 34, he was in no position to ask for much. If you know Davis, you know that's exactly what Gruden got.
It was a three-year deal with two one-year team options. The wages were what you might call modest. So were Gruden's first two seasons. Although the Raiders clearly were making progress, they finished 8-8 both seasons.
Then came the breakout year. Gruden took the Raiders into the NFL's upper echelon. Generally speaking, when a coach in the final year of his contract (options notwithstanding) does something like that, the team does the same for his contract.
There was not a peep from Davis as the Raiders raced to an 8-1 start, as they clinched their first playoff berth since 1993, as they won their first division title since 1990. The bye week would have been the perfect time to parade Gruden in front of the TV cameras and hang a shiny new deal around his neck.
Instead, the Raiders quietly exercised their option on Monday, the day after the season ended in Oakland, giving Gruden a modest raise. Which he discovered when advised by reporters.
How does that go again? Commitment to Communication?
The wonder here is how Gruden has done it. By "it," we're not talking about going 12-4 with James Jett as a starting receiver, with scores of injuries to his running backs, with a linebacking corps that's getting a little long in the tooth, and with safeties whose vulnerabilities were exposed far too frequently.
By "it," we're referring to co-existing with Davis.
Gruden has kept his mouth shut publicly since joining the Raiders. But he has bristled privately at Davis' involvement in the day-to-day operation of the team. Big Al's exacting standards are no day at the beach, either. By the time the Raiders lined up for their final game of last season, it was common knowledge they would have to beat the Chiefs in Kansas City to save Gruden's job. Gruden, as you might expect, didn't appreciate having to win a job he already had.
Nor did he appreciate operating under a microscope. One of the more comical sights at Raiders practice the past three years has been Gruden trying to race off the field before Davis could cut him off for a discussion on the day's events.
Suffice to say Davis usually took a better angle on Gruden than Anthony Dorsett did on Shannon Sharpe last Sunday.
Then there was the appalling scene after Sunday's AFC Championship game loss. Davis sought out Gruden's father in the Raiders locker room. With the coach's 6-year-old son looking on, Davis gave the elder Gruden a clenched-teeth lecture -- peppered with F-bombs -- on how ill-prepared the Raiders had been for the game.
It makes you wonder what a guy has to do to get ahead with the Raiders. It may have made Gruden wonder the same thing.
That's why the humming Internet and crackling radio seemed to carry so much clout on Tuesday. They had Gruden returning to his native Ohio to a whopping contract at a prestigious university with a storied football tradition.
Gruden has Gruden staying in Oakland, trying to encore his breakout season instead of using it as a springboard. And leaving us to wonder not only how he does it, but why.

BigOlChiefsfan
01-18-2001, 02:10 PM
That last post was from the Mercury/Contra Costa Times, and reminds us all how lucky we are to have Lamar instead of greasy Al. Much as I'd like to see us give Gruden the bitter-beer face next year, I wouldn't wish working for Al on a mangy dog.
I can just see Al in the locker room cussin' out Chucky's father after the loss, with Chucky's kid standing there.
Saint Al.
After that performance I'd say all bets were off. Take the money and run, Chucky.

ChiTown
01-18-2001, 02:12 PM
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- No longer will Jim Tressel have to prepare his team for the likes of Slippery Rock, Edinboro and Hofstra. The main competition now is Michigan, Penn State and the rest of the Big Ten.

Welcome to Division I-A.

The Tressel File
Born:Dec. 5, 1952
Hometown: Berea, Ohio
Coaching Experience:

1986-present: Head coach, Youngstown State (135-57-2, .701).

1983-86: Quarterbacks and receivers coach, Ohio State.

1981-82: Quarterbacks and receivers coach, Syracuse.

1979-80: Quarterbacks and receivers coach, Miami (Ohio).

1975-77: Offensive backfield coach, Akron.
Playing Experience:

1968-71: Lettered four years at quarterback at Baldwin-Wallace College, coached by his father, Lee.
Education:

1977: Masters degree, Akron.

1975: Bachelors degree, Baldwin-Wallace.
Family:
Wife, Ellen. Children: sons Zak and Eric, daughters Carlee and Whitney.

Tressel, known as much for his disciplined Youngstown State teams as for his four I-AA national titles, has been selected as Ohio State's 22nd head coach.

Two members of an advisory committee, set up by Ohio State athletics director Andy Geiger to help fill the position, confirmed Wednesday that Tressel would take over for the fired John Cooper.

The new coach will be introduced at a 4 p.m. ET news conference Thursday.

Tressel, 48, has spent the last 15 seasons at Youngstown State. Prior to that, he was an assistant coach at Ohio State from 1983-86 under Earle Bruce.

Tressel was 135-57-2 (.701) at Youngstown State, but has never been a head coach in I-A.

In an interview with The Associated Press a few hours before he was hired, he said he needed to prove himself all over again.

"I had never coached a day as a head coach until I came here," he said. He added that until he actually coached at a major program, "I don't think anyone knows for sure."

Ohio State's other finalist was Minnesota's Glen Mason, a former Ohio State player and a member of the same Buckeyes' coaching staff as Tressel for two years. Mason had interviewed earlier Wednesday. Before flying back to Minnesota, he told reporters that his visit went well.

Geiger told Jeff Logan, a member of the advisory committee, that Mason was "devastated" when told that Tressel would be the new coach.

The hiring capped a 16-day, rumor-driven search that finally settled on one of the top candidates from the beginning.

Tressel was expected to sign a multiyear contract paying him in excess of $1 million a year. His Youngstown State contract, which was to run out in June, gave him a base salary of $88,500 and a $20,000 annual stipend to also serve as athletics director. For winning a national championship, Tressel received an extra $5,000.

Others who either interviewed or spoke with Ohio State officials about the job included Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden, Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, current Buckeyes assistant Fred Pagac, former Ohio State and NFL linebacker Chris Spielman and Stanford coach Tyrone Willingham.

Cooper was fired Jan. 2 after Ohio State lost 24-7 to South Carolina in the Outback Bowl. He was 111-43-4, shared three Big Ten titles and played in bowls in 11 of his 13 seasons.

But he was 3-8 in those bowl games and was just 2-10-1 against Ohio State's chief rival, Michigan -- a game that Ohio State fans refer to as "The Game."

After Cooper's firing, Geiger also cited poor academic performance, on-the-field taunting and off-the-field skirmishes with the law by the Buckeyes players.

"Whether they're from the academic side, boosters or the guys who played here before who are embarrassed by our record against Michigan and embarrassed by the behavior of the players on the field, Jim Tressel is the kind of guy who can heal whatever wounds are out there right now," said Logan, president of the school's Varsity "O" organization and a former Ohio State player.

Tressel's Youngstown State teams won national titles in 1991, 1993, 1994 and 1997 -- the most for a head coach in I-AA history -- and had 12 winning seasons.

Tressel took over the Penguins program in 1986. After suffering through a 2-9 season, he guided the Penguins to their first I-AA playoff appearance with an 8-4 mark the next season and won their first Ohio Valley Conference title.

Tressel is the son of Dr. Lee Tressel, who compiled a 155-52-6 record as head football coach at Baldwin-Wallace College. He lettered four years as a quarterback for his father.

The Berea native served as an assistant coach at Akron, Miami (Ohio) and Syracuse before handling quarterbacks and receivers for three years at Ohio State.

After taking over at Youngstown State, he kept an eye on Ohio State but didn't waste time dreaming about following in Woody Hayes' footsteps.

"I've learned some good things growing up in this profession," Tressel said. "Woody said in his book that one cardinal rule is you never apply for a job that is not open. The Ohio State job has not been open for 13 years, and I've been awfully busy trying to get things done."

He inherits a team with a brutal schedule. Ohio State plays at UCLA, Indiana, Penn State, Minnesota and Michigan this fall.

The Buckeyes also will be without two of the top four rushers, four of the top five receivers and six of the top 10 scorers, in addition to two of the top three tacklers and the top two players in interceptions.

hawaiianboy
01-18-2001, 03:15 PM
In response to # 19....

Some truth to go with the fiction (http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/sports/docs/killion18.htm)

Gaz
01-18-2001, 03:36 PM
Hmmm. It appears that Rufus is moonlighting for the Mercury News.

xoxo~
gaz
wonders if Carl knows about this.

hawaiianboy
01-18-2001, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Gaz
Hmmm. It appears that Rufus is moonlighting for the Mercury News.

xoxo~
gaz
wonders if Carl knows about this.

Not sure who Rufus is.... but Killon is not a Al supporter if thats what you're getting at...

DaWolf
01-18-2001, 07:25 PM
jq,
Seems like again that Davis thing comes down to he said/she said, except from reading the article, I gathered that she wasn't there, she was just repeating what LaMonte said, vs the other writer apparently actually being there. So not really sure who to believe. I always thought of Gary Peterson as a credible writer, but I tend to look at these things with sceptisism...

hawaiianboy
01-18-2001, 07:31 PM
Wolf....

I may be wrong, but every thing I've read indicates Peterson wasn't actually there.... but reporting on someone who was....

Doesn't matter to me either way... There seems to be no middleground... Either you love the Raiders... or you hate them...

DaWolf
01-18-2001, 07:49 PM
jq,
Guess you never know, I was just assuming that he was there based on the article because the way he wrote it seemed to indicate he witnessed it. If he didn't shame on him for not writing "I was told" before relaying the story...

BigOlChiefsfan
01-19-2001, 04:07 AM
JQ, I'll admit that I'll believe most rumors about Al posted in Bay area papers without waiting for proof.

Call me irresponsible.