PDA

View Full Version : Question: Why the animosity towards Gannon?

gh4chiefs
01-14-2001, 09:25 PM
I really don't understand this one guys. Everyone here seems to be taking great joy in the poor showing by Gannon today. Is it because he's a Raider now? How does his failure make us better?

DaWolf
01-14-2001, 09:40 PM
Frankly, I have nothing personal against Gannon. But:

1)He is a Raider, and all Raiders suck. I repeat, ALL Raiders suck. Zero exceptions.

2)All these whiners crying about how we kept the wrong QB make me sick. They unfairly rip Elvis, yet make excuses for their hero Gannon. That breeds animosity. I like giving them a taste of their own medicine.

I am sure Rich Gannon is a great guy and a hard worker and an effective QB when he has a running game. But he is also a Raider. So screw him...

Logical
01-14-2001, 09:53 PM
First I hate the Raiders (not their original fans such as JQ or Duck).

I have always disliked Gannon and was glad he left KC.

Finally and Most Importantly one name:

DENISE!

Her love for St Richard of the Wobbly Pass has moved me from simple dislike to pure hatred of Gannon.

So there you have it!

morphius
01-14-2001, 10:43 PM
Being one of the most outspoken Gannon haters I will state my reasons, since you asked...

I watched him in MN fighting for a job with Wade Wilson, he would come in as backup and look great, they would give him the starting job and he would fall flat on his face and choke and lose the job again. Which turned me off to him, heck they replaced him even when they were winning games because he was hurting more then helping. TO be more specific they were having a good season and heading towards the playoffs, and benched him for his ineffectiveness.

Now you can tell I was a fan of the Vikings, I have always like many teams with Chiefs as my favorite. So needless to say I was not too happy when we signed him.

When he came in as a backup here he did the same thing, looked good. But when he started I was never overly impressed because we went back to a dink dunk offense so that he could play. Which as we all saw divided the team, much as it did in MN. I can only remember a couple good games that he had here, but most games were not impressive and he missed many receivers badly, just luckily nobody was there to intercept the ball. Yet he gets credits for all the wins, though many of them he looked bad in.

Then he goes to one of my least favorite teams and I have to hear all the crap about letting go of a great QB, and every game I watch him in I watch him miss wide open receivers that are all in a 1-6 yard pass routes. I watch him panic when there is no lane for him to run in and dump to the closest person he can find. I watch him look down field and only pass there if the defender falls over or is so far away as to not have any oppertunity to make a play on the ball, otherwise he pulls it down and run or passes to the closest possible receiver. I have watched him make rookie mistakes over and over, mainly trying to throw the ball while he is already on his way to make a play but since he doesn't have control he throws an INT.

So basically hearing everyone, like Denise, talk about how great a QB he is, when in all my time of watching him I have yet to see a great QB, but more a good athlete on a team I can't stand.

Nelson Muntz
01-14-2001, 10:45 PM
i can't stand him anymore as a player because i am sick and tired of hearing this bullsh!t about how we kept the qrong qb. that was two fu#@ing years ago. get over it. and double standards when comparing the two at their failures. and plus he's a raider now. and i hate the raiders and broncos with a passion.

Frazod
01-14-2001, 11:02 PM
If you hate Gannon because of Denise, then you're letting her have WAY too much influence over your thinking. That would be like hating Tampa because of Keck, or Green Bay because of Ken. Like or hate these teams for your own reasons, not because of people like that.

When we let Gannon go, I was enraged. I thought Elvis was a bum. In hindsight, I think it was a good move, and admit that I was wrong. Grbac is certainly a better QB. However, Gannon produces results with much less talent and ability, and something has to be said for that. I like Gannon, and while I wish he hadn't gone to Oakland, I appreciate what he did for us when he was here - WIN GAMES. I will always believe that he would have won that abortion of a game against Denver in 97. To my knowledge, he never talked trash about us (like Brock) or disrespected us (like Smith). He's okay in my book.

My psychotic hatred towards other teams in the division goes only as far as Denver. The rest of them I dislike equally. While watching the Raiders get dumped certainly made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, it was nothing compared to the orgasmic glee I felt when the Ravens crushed Denver.

I also think that the Ravens, at the current level of play, would beat the hell out of anyone they play. Gannon was just the latest branch to be fed into the wood chipper.

ChiefsFanatic
01-14-2001, 11:30 PM
I stated in another thread that the Raiders would not be able to score against the Ravens. I was right. A far as Gannon goes, when he was sent packing the Star ran an article and in that article Grbac and Gannon had the same record with the Chiefs as starters for their time with the Chiefs.

I was glad he was gone. I think he got very lucky to fall into a dink and dunk offense. When he throws a deep pass he looks like he is going to throw his shoulder out from all the torque he uses. Week arm.

Elvis proved late in the year he could scramble. I believe he was under mandate not to scramble from the coaches. He has always been able to avoid sacks when not being blitzed. Did you see how easy Gannon went down in the 1st when the linebacker was tripped and dove at Gannon?

What really makes me hate him is the fans who compare Elvis to Gannon and fail to mention that Gannon plays on a team with better Defense, Running Game, and Special Teams. They think Gannon wins all those games by himself, and Elvis loses all those games by himself.

administrator
01-14-2001, 11:34 PM
I can't stand the "credit" Gannon gets. I truly don't believe he is a "great" qb. I probably wouldn't hate him if everyone saw him as a decent qb who has some great games and some truly awful games. ...but recently he has been a media favorite and unfortunately it makes me (irrationally) hate him. I really didn't like him in KC and was VERY glad when we got Grbac.

I'll admit that my hating Gannon is slightly irrational but so is most of the "good" press he has been getting.

--Kyle

5decadechiefsfan
01-15-2001, 12:23 AM
Most of the animosity is A) backlash towards people who just can't let go, and B)because he is a RAIDER. Going to the Raiders made it fairly easy for most Chief fans to cut their ties to him, but those few who actually became fans of the Raiders disgusted most of us. I rooted for Steve Fuller to do well when he went to the Bears 15 years ago, but that was the NFC Central Bears, not the AFC West, enemy-forever Raiders.

hawaiianboy
01-15-2001, 04:02 AM
I can tell you this much.... this Gannon/Grbac is strictly a KC obsession.... Neither is a great QB.... Gannon is what he is.... Ditto Grbac... Critisizing Gannon for not throwing the deep pass is foolhardy.... Why ask someone to do what is no a strength?... Gruden has an offense that accentuates his strengths and hides his weaknessess.... Ditto Grbac.... He is in an offense that doesn't have him audiblizing alot or going through a long series of progressions....

gh4chiefs
01-15-2001, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the replies. I can see it's for a lot of different reasons, "He's a Raider," "I just didn't like him," etc, etc, etc.

I should have stated in my original post that this was not intended in any way to be a Grbac vs Gannon thread. To me that's history, Elvis is our QB, long live the King. I was one of those that that thought letting Gannon go was a mistake but I'm sitting here today telling you I'm very happy to have Elvis as our QB.

That being said, I'm still one of those people who thinks Gannon is a good (not great) QB. (I just wished he wasn't with the damn Raiders) One poor showing yesterday doesn't change my mind about him, just like one or two lapses by Elvis this past season doesn't make me want to throw him overboard either.

Most of you don't like Gannon, I'm cool with that. I just hope you think of me the way you do Denise just because I do like him.

Spott
01-15-2001, 08:45 AM
Mainly because he's a Raider. If he would have went somewhere like Cincinnati or Detroit, most of us would still like him. I dislike Andre more because he's just a chump who badmouths every city after that team gets rid of him.

NaptownChief
01-15-2001, 09:23 AM
Oh this one is a slam dunk....Real simple, he is a Raider...

alanm
01-15-2001, 09:30 AM
Don't really hate him or like him. Just can't stand Denise's constant praise of him. Rison is a punk pure and simple.

HC_Chief
01-15-2001, 09:34 AM
all faiduhz suck... <font color=red><b><i>CHIEF</i></b></font> defectors which become faiduhz (or donkeys) <i>really</i> suck!

Phobia
01-15-2001, 09:40 AM
I generally think Gannon is an all around classy guy. If I were building an NFL franchise, I wouldn't want him as anything more than 2nd or 3rd string but I like him.

However, he's with the Raiders and I hate everything Raiders except a few of their classy fans & Howie Long (now that he doesn't play for them).

If Gannon were with a different team, I would have been dismayed to witness yesterday's performance.

Rick Stephens
01-16-2001, 05:12 AM
Because he wears the Silver and Black. If one knows the history of the AFL then you would know why people in Kansas City hate the Raiders. The Pancake job on Gannon was much appriciated by us who have been Chiefs fans for years.

Back when Ben Davidson speared Len Dawson he said that he was trying to knock him out of the game and a 15 yard penalty was a cheap price to pay. He also stated that by knocking Dawson out of the game it increased their chances of winning. This was the Raider attitude for many years.

I am sure thats its nothing personal but that it is because of the Raiders Al Davis and their history.

Rausch
01-16-2001, 05:40 AM
I don't care if the guy works in soup kitchens in his free time...he's a raider, therefore, he has no soul...

And a turncoat at that....

58Forever
01-16-2001, 09:58 AM
To echo the main reason:

HE'S A FARGIN RAIDER...:p

:p

[Edited by 58Forever on 01-16-2001 at 10:08 AM]

htismaqe
01-16-2001, 10:15 AM
For me, I guess I disliked him as a Viking, and as a Chief, so now that he's a Raider, it doesn't much matter...

I still think he's a happy-footed, dink-dunk passer and I never really liked his style, wins or not...

Iowanian
01-16-2001, 10:53 AM
I have to admit that I didn't like Gannon in MN(but i don'tlike them anyway) but had grown to appreciate him in KC..I wasn't sure what to think when he left...

1.BUT after I marinated in it for a while...He is a flippin raider...its like an ex girlfriend going out with the guy you hate most, just to piss you off....

2.The media darlings never appeal to me..Gannon isn't nearly the QB that the press makes him...primarily because he is in a large market team

3.*someone* on the front of his bandwagon needs to drop the bullhorn....it builds animosity with me...its like having your neighbor blair "M_BOP" on repeat all night...don't know those wussies in Hanson...but would strangle every one of them.

NaptownChief
01-16-2001, 11:30 AM
Iowanian,

This is off subject but if I remember correctly you are a follow "meathead", right?...You said you been taking creatine...If you aren't already using it, I highly recommend combining the creatine with Ribose...It is more expensive than creatine but it is one of the few supplements on the market that is worth it...I had plateau'ed around 190 lbs...Without changing my diet and actually increasing my cardio work I jumped up to 205 in about 6 weeks...It is pretty amazing...Just thought you would want to know...

Iowanian
01-16-2001, 11:46 AM
jl80,

I had been lifting regularly until nov. My mom got sick and i was going home alot to help with farmer stuff, and bought a "fixer upper" house...and the gym closed...so i haven't been since then...It just re-opened and i was thinking about going back today....i haven't heard of ribose...i don't follow suppliments that closely...what is it? you take it with creatine? I have about a month supply of the creatine drops(which i like btw) but haven't taken much else...are there any side affects that you've noticed? i can't be getting grouchy, and don't want to swell up like a roid head....(thats what i like about the drops...didn't retain as much water)..

thanks for the info though.

Gaz
01-16-2001, 11:55 AM
'scuse me, muscleboyz, football opinion coming through. Come on, come on, make a hole…

I have no personal animosity towards Gannon.

He wanted to start. An understandable and laudable mindset for a professional athlete. If you do not think you are good enough to start, you are probably not good enough to be in the NFL.

However, he was not going to be the starter in KC, so he went elsewhere, became the starter and had a good year in an Offense tailored to fit him. Kudos to the Raiders for devising a scheme that allowed Gannon to use his abilities to the fullest and kudos to Gannon for a very good year.

xoxo~
gaz
over that sad breakup long ago.

NaptownChief
01-16-2001, 12:15 PM
Iowaian,

ribose is similar to creatine in that it increases your blood and oxygen flow into your muscles, thus allowing you to increase the number of reps/weight that you can do before you burn out...And greatly helps the muscles repair themselves faster...I have done a lot of homework on it and it has no side effects...Creatine is pretty safe but does have some minor side effects i.e. dry skin and cramping if you don't drink enough water...Your body naturally produces about 5-8 grms of creatine daily. If you take creatine supplements long enough without cycling off, your bodies natural production will decrease because it is use to getting plenty without having to produce it. There has now been a lot of studies done on both of them and they are considered very safe....If you do any supplement shopping, I highly recommend a website called FitRx.com. They are the cheapest that I have found and their service is really good. I usually have every order on my door step here in Indy in two days from placing it...They are out of Schamburg IL, so they should be relatively quick for you also...If you ever need any tips on the best products/quantity for your money let me know.

Baby Lee
01-16-2001, 12:15 PM
Huh, huh. . . Huh, huh. . . Gaz said "a hole"

redhed
01-16-2001, 03:36 PM
Hey lift-heads! Do those supplements help w/ aerobic activities? I do a lot of mountain biking, and I'd like to increase my stamina. Thanks 4 any info...

58Forever
01-16-2001, 03:50 PM
My entire family likes Gannon and wishes he would have stayed....they also dislike Grbac whom I've supported from day one...therefore, I dislike Gannon....

NaptownChief
01-16-2001, 04:04 PM
redhead,

Creatine and ribose will help endurance and even more importantly your recovery. Just drink lots of water...Come to think of it, they should even help some of these other fella's recover from their once a month roll in the rack with their old lady...

redhed
01-16-2001, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the info, jl!!
I hadn't thought of the recovery angle; that's huge!