PDA

View Full Version : Vermeil Not Going To Senior Bowl

gonzo88
01-15-2001, 09:39 AM
I just read that Vermiel is not going to the Senior Bowl. If he won't be there, and Bradway won't be there, who is going to be evaluating all the talent? Carl is a buisiness man, not an evaluator of talent. Does this worry anyone else?

NaptownChief
01-15-2001, 09:42 AM
Gonzo,

Maybe they figure by the time they get done hiring all of our coaching staff that we won't have any draft picks left...

AJKCFAN
01-15-2001, 10:13 AM
That is interesting.

I'm sure they Chiefs will be represented. If not, I at least hope they have the brains to tape the game...

ROYC75
01-15-2001, 10:27 AM
This is very odd! Already we miss Bradway!

Cannibal
01-15-2001, 10:57 AM
The only scouting trip Goonther went on last year was the Senior Bowl and the only reason he did that was because he was required to coach one of the team participating in the event.

Peterson is the one who goes to these events. The coach serving under Peterson typically doesn't go. I don't know if it's because Peterson doesn't allow it, or if they just don't want to go.

Interesting question.

kcred
01-15-2001, 11:24 AM
Seems a bit of confusion here, I read they were going to interview Ray Rhodes AT the Senior Bowl. CP might do a lot of things, but I don't believe he would do an interview without Vermeil, Gunther maybe, but not Dick. DV has plenty to do with filling out his staff, but I did read the part about Rhodes. Maybe he is going down later this week.

Cannibal
01-15-2001, 11:27 AM
The Chiefs official site says that Vermiel IS NOT going to the Senior Bowl. He has things to do in KC and has a previously scheduled engagement in Philly.

Cormac
01-15-2001, 11:32 AM
It says he's not going to the Senior Bowl workouts. So he might still be at the game with a chance to interview Rhodes if necessary? It also says that there are college scouts etc. going.

DaWolf
01-15-2001, 11:35 AM
I'm sure they'll be sending some people to the Senior Bowl. Our scouting department is still intact.

Regarding Bradway, great guy and good luck to him. Hopefully his replacement is a better evaluator of offensive talent, especially regarding running back...

Cannibal
01-15-2001, 11:43 AM
It's going to be VERY interesting to compare the Chiefs and Jets drafts.

Peterson vs. Bradway

Peterson has the advantage of having more picks and higher picks in each round.

We'll see how it turns out.

DaWolf
01-15-2001, 11:46 AM
I'm interested to see who Bradway chooses to coach. So far it's between Maurice Carthon, Dom Capers, and Herm Edwards. Nothing exciting there...

Cannibal
01-15-2001, 11:49 AM
I heard they were also interested in Marvin Lewis.

DaWolf
01-15-2001, 12:06 PM
Add Ted Cotrell to that list. Lewis has been granted permission to speak with the Browns, Bills and Lions so far.

One thing I did not want as my next head coach was another defensive coordinator. I think it was time to bring a different perspective to this club. While Lewis and John Fox may be good head coaches, they wouldn't be inheriting the same defensive players here, and who knows if their offensive philosophy wouldn't just be the same old story. I guess that's just me though. Too many years of Marty and Gunther...

Cormac
01-15-2001, 12:31 PM
Wolf,

I agree that it was time to have an offensive minded HC. Or at least a HC with the ability to hand over the reins of an offense to a talented OC. Lewis is an intriguing prospect, and I wouldn't have minded him coming in, but who knows how he'll pan out. BTW, I thought I had heard that Millen (?) was going to keep Moeller as HC in Detroit??

Cannibal
01-15-2001, 12:33 PM
Jim Haslett, former D coordinator did a great job with limited talent in Nawlens.

Cannibal
01-15-2001, 12:35 PM
Parcells was a defensive guy.

Wasn't Jimmy Johnson a defensive guy?

Coughlin and Fisher are both Defensive coaches.

Seifert was a defensive guy as well.

AJKCFAN
01-15-2001, 01:29 PM
Vermeil is probably not going because there isn't anyone from UCLA playing...

DaWolf
01-15-2001, 01:34 PM
Walsh and most of his disciples were offensive guys. Both head coaches in the Super Bowl are offensive guys.

You can find success on both sides. I felt it was time this organization moved away from the defensive mindset...