PDA

View Full Version : Raye to call plays for Marty

ChiefsFanatic
01-15-2001, 08:07 PM
NFLScoop reports that Jimmy Raye will probably be the next OC for the Redskins. Now we will get to see what he would have done with a featured back.

Frazod
01-15-2001, 08:09 PM
You stole my thunder - I was just copying the article. Here it is:

Raye to be OC
By: John Keim
Date: 1/15/2001

The Redskins will fill one of the largest holes on their staff on Tuesday, when they're expected to name Jimmy Raye as their offensive coordinator. Raye interviewed on Monday and canceled a flight home, making his appointment likely.

''There's no deal as we speak, but by tomorrow we'll have an idea of what we're going to do,'' Schottenheimer said before leaving Redskin Park at 7:30 p.m. ET. ''He's still here. It's easier to close a deal with someone you're looking in the eye.''

Raye served as Schottenheimer's offensive coordinator for one season in Kansas City, after coaching running backs for five years.

He's been an offensive coordinator with three other teams: New England, Tampa Bay and the Los Angeles Rams.

Also, the Redskins will interview Paul Boudreau for their offensive line coaching position on Tuesday. Boudreau has served in that capacity for 14 seasons for four different teams.

Schottenheimer's son, Brian, is expected to join the staff as a position coach on offense, though his spot has not been determined.

After hiring a line coach, Schottenheimer will turn his attention to the defensive side, starting with the coordinator's position.

DaWolf
01-15-2001, 08:29 PM
Speaking of hiring other teams' rejects...

TheFly
01-15-2001, 09:01 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frazod
01-15-2001, 09:05 PM
I'll bet Snyder's head explodes before mid-season. He has all the pieces in place. Pieces of.... well, we all know that, don't we?

Better them than us.

nmt1
01-16-2001, 06:20 AM
You guys have not idea how entertaining this will be for me. Here in Richmond, there is a guy on mornings on our local sports radio station who is a huge Redskins fan. He called for Turner's head all last year. This same guy said (back when Marty was our coach) that Marty would never win the big game. He hasn't really said much since Marty was hired. I think he knows what he's in for.
Now he doesn't know what he's getting in Jimmy Raye though. Man it will be hilarious to hear these pretentious Redskins fans moan about no imagination on offense. Believe me, Redskins fans are among the most pretentious of all too.

Warrior5
01-16-2001, 07:26 AM
Bu-bye!

Spott
01-16-2001, 07:33 AM
Good riddance. I can't wait to see Raye ruin that offense. Maybe they could get Dave Adolph for DC in DC.

58Forever
01-16-2001, 08:09 AM
And with the great QB...:rolleyes:...they have, Jimmy will look like a genius...was that a pig I just saw fly past my window?

KCJohnny
01-16-2001, 11:36 AM
With Stephen Davis and Jeff George/Brad J at QB, Jimmy Raye will put up huge #s in Washington, and he will be back for an encore w/Marty at Arrowhead next year.
You are falt out wrong if you blame the Chiefs problems on Raye. In the past 2 seasons KC has put up bigger #s than any Chiefs O since the '67-68 Chiefs.
Good luck, Jimmy, and uh, get rid of the leash!
KCJ

ptlyon
01-16-2001, 12:20 PM
I agree with Johnny. I didn`t see any complaints after they beat the Rams. It really scares me what has happened in the last few weeks with coaches going other places. I do note that I think Raye learned something against Denver when they actually ran on the outside of the line. I`ve been wondering why they haven`t done it before. I guess we will all have to wait and see... :confused:

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-16-2001, 01:39 PM
KCJ

I have to respectfully disagree.

This is the same Raye who couldn't make up his mind on who our running back would be until 3 minutes before game time. The Same OC who completely abandoned any pretense at running the ball to the point where play-action (probably Elvis's best play) was ineffective. The same OC who gets monomaniacal about either Run or Pass.

Sure, and if I were a betting man, you'll see Stephen Davis get his yards (like he wouldn't anyway) and the Washington passing game suffer OR he'll play to Johnson/George's strengths and Davis's yards will suffer. This man never heard of the word moderation.

I also look at the Chiefs records the past two years. Sure, we put up all kinds of rushing numbers the year before... at what? 1.5 yards a carry? If you carry it often enough, you'll amass some yardage, but does that translate into wins? Not enough, if I remember. This year, Elvis had a great year, however, the rushing game was non-existant and the opponents could play the pass with impunity. Did the passing game translate into wins? Yes, but not enough.

There has to be a balance of rushing and passing to keep the opponent off balance. And <b>that</b> was why Ray was not a great OC. He's never been a great OC and just because he's taking over a team with a number of media superstars will not automatically mean he's discovered an imagination.

You like Maul ball, I despise <b>ANY</b> one-dimensional offense, whether it's passing or running.

But, as always, your mileage may vary. Like what you want. But I think the offense I like wins championships.

milkman
01-17-2001, 06:05 AM
Johnny,
Come back in 5 years, after Marty and Jimmy have failed, yet again, to find a way to get to the SB.

Have I mentioned that I can't stand Marty?

KCJohnny
01-17-2001, 08:16 AM
Let's put one myth to rest right here:
The 1999 Chiefs used the run exactly 51% of the time and the pass 49%.
The Chiefs averaged 4.0 ypc rushing and were in the top 7 teams in runs from scrimmage of 10+ yds. KC gained more rushing yds than any other team (minus QB rushing yds).
The 2000 Chiefs set many records including most passing yds in a game (504 vs Oak). In a pass-first season (60% play selection) the Chiefs had their highest single game rushing total in 10 years (264 vs Den). Even when KC was dominated, the O was putting up yards (Had the ball only 18 minutes vs Atlanta, yet put up 300 yds).
I am not saying Jimmy Raye is the greatest OC in history, but the Chiefs problems were not their OC.

ChiefsFanatic
01-17-2001, 08:23 AM
KCJohnny,

I agree. I do not think that JR was at fault this season. I just meant that now we will see how JR can use a featured back, and what we could have missed because Gunther was so caught up in his persnel packages.

milkman
01-17-2001, 08:26 AM
John,
Again with the stats. Stats don't always tell the whole story. Much of the passing for the Chiefs in '99 came late in games, when the Chiefs were behind, and were forced to pass to try and get points quickly, or in the 2 Seattle games, when the gameplan seemed to be pass oriented.
JRaye sucks as an OC, always has, and always will. You can throw stats at me all you want to, it won't change my mind. I saw Raye's offenses in action.

[Edited by milkman on 01-17-2001 at 09:29 AM]

Packfan
01-17-2001, 09:01 AM
Now that Raye has a feature back and a Quarterback who can think on his own, maybe we will see if he is truly inept, like most people think. I think he will do fine. Games are won by players making plays. Chiefs lacked a break away runner and a play making, clutch quarterback. It is very difficult to mount a consistant, balanced attack when you are in this position.

DaWolf
01-17-2001, 10:16 AM
Let's put it this way, if you replace Sean Payton with Jimmy Raye on the Giants staff, they probably would not be in the Super Bowl. An offensive coordinator is more than caling plays. It is in the weekly preparation, how you handle your players, how patient and balanced you are. Raye complained in the 7-9 year that his hands were kinda tied by Marty ("You can only do what the head coach wants you to do"). This past season his record setting offense faded at the end of the season after teams figured out what the Chiefs were doing and started playing pass every down...