PDA

View Full Version : Defining Solari’s problem...

Warrior5
11-14-2006, 06:43 AM
With Gonzales out, Solari is going to have to alter the entire offensive gameplan. The ad hoc O-line is already weak. Bober and Wiegman will have their hands full with Sapp, and Turley will almost certainly need help from Dunn against Burgess and the rest of the Raiderz’ F4. This will effectively neutralize Dunn, already questionable with regard to receiving skills, as a receiving threat. The Raiderz’ skilled secondary, coupled with a LB dropping into coverage, are more than a match for the Chiefs’ receivers. If I was Art Shell, I'd have at least 6 in the box on every down to contain LJ, and I'd blitz every 3rd down.

You're Solari. What’s your strategy?

MahiMike
11-14-2006, 06:49 AM
With Gonzales out, Solari is going to have to alter the entire offensive gameplan. The ad hoc O-line is already weak. Bober and Wiegman will have their hands full with Sapp, and Turley will almost certainly need help from Dunn against Burgess and the rest of the Raiderz’ F4. This will effectively neutralize Dunn, already questionable with regard to receiving skills, as a receiving threat. The Raiderz’ skilled secondary, coupled with a LB dropping into coverage, are more than a match for the Chiefs’ receivers. If I was Art Shell, I'd have at least 6 in the box on every down to contain LJ, and I'd blitz every 3rd down.

You're Solari. What’s your strategy?

I'd tell Carl to draft a WR last spring...

TrickyNicky
11-14-2006, 06:49 AM
LJ Early and often. I would also want to know if Trent is playing. Need to get a screen game working. Bigfoot takes Gonzo's place as a receiving threat, send him down the middle and hope they put their Mike on him, and let him get open. Keep going to it until they take the 8th man out of the box. Then hammer LJ and utilize the PA passing game. Pretty much what we've always done...

cdcox
11-14-2006, 07:29 AM
With the Raiders offense, we are not going to need to score a lot of points. Herm will play his field position game, waiting for a turnover. Regardless of who the QB is, Solari will have half-a-dozen pass plays that they think can be big gainers. He'll save those for the moment when we have very good field position or we are deperate for a score. The rest of the time it will be LJ and dink and dunk, no mistakes.This is not a week where we have to take many chances on offense, and with a banged up line, missing Gonzo, and hopefully Green returning, it would be stupid to open up the playbook.

This is the week for our defense to carry us to victory. Aganist the Raiders offense, and at home, that shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

bkkcoh
11-14-2006, 07:41 AM
Definitely look for a lot of 2 TE, 2 back sets with Wilson as FB.

I would almost look for Wilson to have a break out game, both in blocking and recieving out of the back since they are gonna be keying on LJ.

I am not sure if play action will be good or not. I can see a few WR screens with a Dunn in motion for blocking............ and some mis-direction possibly

cdcox
11-14-2006, 07:50 AM
Definitely look for a lot of 2 TE, 2 back sets with Wilson as FB.

Who you gonna line up as the second TE? Gammons???? This is one set I'm pretty sure we won't see.

bkkcoh
11-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Who you gonna line up as the second TE? Gammons???? This is one set I'm pretty sure we won't see.

good point.. not sure about that..

Warrior5
11-14-2006, 08:01 AM

Yep, we're pretty much out of TEs. And LGs, RTs, and FBs...

I know! Svitek will come in, like he often does in red zone sets, declared as an eligible lineman. Svitek is the secret weapon!

DaWolf
11-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Basically, this is if we learn whether Herm and Gunther can earn their money. The offense isn't gonna score much, their task will be to protect the ball. The D is gonna have to produce. I'm talking early 90's Chiefs football...

Warrior5
11-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Basically, this is if we learn whether Herm and Gunther can earn their money. The offense isn't gonna score much, their task will be to protect the ball. The D is gonna have to produce. I'm talking early 90's Chiefs football...

Well, we have seen Jared Allen running toward the endzone with the ball recently, and the defense is overdue for a score...

siberian khatru
11-14-2006, 08:31 AM
With the Raiders offense, we are not going to need to score a lot of points. Herm will play his field position game, waiting for a turnover.

So it will be 13-10 KC with 2 minutes left when Law slips and falls and a wide-open Moss hauls in a 47-yard TD pass to beat us.

bkkcoh
11-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Yep, we're pretty much out of TEs. And LGs, RTs, and FBs...

I know! Svitek will come in, like he often does in red zone sets, declared as an eligible lineman. Svitek is the secret weapon!
Isn't Svitek on the IR?

Fish
11-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Who you gonna line up as the second TE?

http://www.cjonline.com/photogalleries/2005/12/25_chiefs/images/01.jpg

?

Warrior5
11-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Isn't Svitek on the IR?

Yep. I'm actually waiting for the obligatory Chief to be named as the secret weapon.

jynni
11-14-2006, 08:47 AM
What about Dunn? Or is he hurt too?

cdcox
11-14-2006, 09:06 AM
What about Dunn? Or is he hurt too?

That's one TE, Wilon at FB, 2nd TE = ?

Justlisten
11-14-2006, 09:10 AM
I expect we will see, for the first time, a lot of 4 wr sets.

NJ Chief Fan
11-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Turley as 2nd TE?

NY CHIEF
11-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Hopefully sampson will be back , put a damm band aid on his foot and get him out there :banghead:

Hootie
11-14-2006, 11:50 AM
I'd be very conservative this week. Oakland isn't going to score points in Kansas City...I think 13 points wins this game.

LJ and Bennett need to get 45 touches between them.

Damon will probably start, and Oakland has shown to have a pretty good pass defense...so I'd use a lot of single back sets with Wilson taking over for Tony G and Dunn being used as the blocking TE...and continuing to do what we've done the past several weeks...only with Wilson acting as if he was Tony.

Sure, Wilson is a major downgrade, but we have to do what we have to do.

Either way, I'd like to see 90% of our passes be screen passes or play-action...our drop back pass is ineffective and dangerous because our tackles are absolutely terrible...and give Damon no chance to make plays.

FAX
11-14-2006, 11:51 AM
You're right, Mr. Hootie. If we don't hand the ball off 50 times against the black dicks, Solari should be thrown in the African water hole.

FAX

htismaqe
11-14-2006, 12:04 PM
ROFL

I love this place.

Everybody spent the offseason lamenting the fact that our new OC was run-oriented guy and that would play right into Herm's ultra-conservative style. We were gonna run the ball too much, everyone cried.

Now, when Solari does EXACTLY WHAT EVERYONE WANTED, he's being roasted for not running the ball enough.

FAX
11-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Make that 60 runs.

FAX

cdcox
11-14-2006, 12:15 PM
ROFL

I love this place.

Everybody spent the offseason lamenting the fact that our new OC was run-oriented guy and that would play right into Herm's ultra-conservative style. We were gonna run the ball too much, everyone cried.

Now, when Solari does EXACTLY WHAT EVERYONE WANTED, he's being roasted for not running the ball enough.

Not sure who is roasting Solari in this thread.

1. I'm basically advocating the game plan against the Rams. Run the ball. Rinse and repeat. Huard threw only 15 passes, but several of them were high-payoff passes, executed with good field position and after we got the run going.

2. Against the Dolphins, we abandoned that plan and threw a lot more, but they were mostly short, low payoff passes. He probably didn't think we could run effectively against the Dolphins with the injuries that we had on the line, and that was to some extent borne out, but we weren't committed enough to the run, IMO.

3. Situations change. With a torn up line, no Gonzo, and our QB situation (regardless of who is starting), this is not the week for a wide-open passing attack.

FAX
11-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Exactly, you wacky mod.

FAX

Hoover
11-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Play action pass on first down, and use LJ more in the passing game to make the D play us honest.

Hydrae
11-14-2006, 12:23 PM
You're right, Mr. Hootie. If we don't hand the ball off 50 times against the black dicks, Solari should be thrown in the African water hole.

FAX

Not until after the crocs finally show up.

cdcox
11-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Not sure who is roasting Solari in this thread.

By the way, throwing someone in croc-infested water is different than roasting, at least in my book.

L.A. Chieffan
11-14-2006, 12:28 PM
shotgun O and no-huddle. they won't be expecting that shit.

StcChief
11-14-2006, 12:30 PM
LJ run, dump pass in flat.
Occasional Bigfoot, Dunn pass, sweeps.

Spread it around once run established.

Kennison/Parker/Gardner/Webb/Hall

BTAU
11-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Yep. I'm actually waiting for the obligatory Chief to be named as the secret weapon.
Rich Scanlon :shrug:

Hootie
11-14-2006, 12:49 PM
LJ run, dump pass in flat.
Occasional Bigfoot, Dunn pass, sweeps.

Spread it around once run established.

Kennison/Parker/Gardner/Webb/Hall
how many catches to Webb and Gardner have this year?

In fact, when was the last time you saw Webb or Gardner even on the field?

Frosty
11-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Supposedly they have been working Boomer as the back up fullback. Maybe he'll start at FB and Bigfoot will play the other TE spot. :shrug:

Warrior5
11-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Rich Scanlon :shrug:

Bingo!

Who's roasting Solari?

Warrior5
11-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Supposedly they have been working Boomer as the back up fullback. Maybe he'll start at FB and Bigfoot will play the other TE spot. :shrug:

If you're serious, link?

That would be interesting.

FAX
11-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Who's roasting Solari?

Nobody really. The mods are running amok again, Mr. Warrior5.

Like wild, rutting Thompson Antelope.

FAX

Calcountry
11-14-2006, 01:29 PM
I have a bad feeling about this game.

FAX
11-14-2006, 01:35 PM

So do I, Mr. bunnytrdr. But, it can't be any worse than last week.

Uh ... can it?

FAX

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Personally, I spread us out in 4 wide sets and use a lot of short throws, WR screens to get the D to cheat up. Then I use play action over the top to EK or Parker. Split Wilson out wide and put him in the Gonzo role. The kid has hands, use them. Run Larry out of the spread so they can't stack the box. If they do, audible to a pass. If they start blitzing a lot, throw some screens to Bennett, Larry, and Parker and see if they can break one.

The Raiders are counting on us to play not to lose, why play into their hand? If the passing game is predicated on short drops, we'll be fine.

Frosty
11-14-2006, 02:15 PM
If you're serious, link?

That would be interesting.

I haven't seen it in print, but Herm mentioned in an interview on Chiefs Gameday the week after Cruz went down. I think Boomer at FB is intriguing, though I have no idea if he is still playing there.

cdcox
11-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Personally, I spread us out in 4 wide sets and use a lot of short throws, WR screens to get the D to cheat up. Then I use play action over the top to EK or Parker. Split Wilson out wide and put him in the Gonzo role. The kid has hands, use them. Run Larry out of the spread so they can't stack the box. If they do, audible to a pass. If they start blitzing a lot, throw some screens to Bennett, Larry, and Parker and see if they can break one.

The Raiders are counting on us to play not to lose, why play into their hand? If the passing game is predicated on short drops, we'll be fine.

This is exactly what I don't want to see because it puts too much pressure on Huard to make reads both pre-snap and as the play opens. We haven't put him in that type of high pressure role. The defense eventually figures out that we are relying heavily on quick outs and slants and starts jumping those.

I expect the offense to generate 10 points off prolonged drives. I expect the defense to set up the offense for another 7. That will be enough.

FringeNC
11-14-2006, 03:01 PM
We have to throw some on first down. Who cares if we get into 3rd and long? LJ is good enough that he can pick up the yardage on 3rd and long occassionally.

Even if we have a conservative game-plan, there are ways to implement it in which there is some degree of unpredictability. That's what Solari needs to do.

cdcox
11-14-2006, 03:21 PM
We have to throw some on first down. Who cares if we get into 3rd and long? LJ is good enough that he can pick up the yardage on 3rd and long occassionally.

Even if we have a conservative game-plan, there are ways to implement it in which there is some degree of unpredictability. That's what Solari needs to do.

Yep. I don't mind throwing on 1st down 1/3 of the time, or even more if the running game is clicking.

FAX
11-14-2006, 03:24 PM
With this oline, we can't establish the run by first establishing the pass. We have to run the ball in order to be able to work the air. Even short drops. We've been pushing our luck with Huard anyhow.

Line up every tackle and tight end on the roster and wear them down. That was my game plan for Miami and I'm sticking to it. At least until Brian gets back.

FAX

Halfcan
11-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Run the ball down their throat. Don't give Huard a chance to blow the game again.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-14-2006, 04:39 PM
This is exactly what I don't want to see because it puts too much pressure on Huard to make reads both pre-snap and as the play opens. We haven't put him in that type of high pressure role. The defense eventually figures out that we are relying heavily on quick outs and slants and starts jumping those.

I expect the offense to generate 10 points off prolonged drives. I expect the defense to set up the offense for another 7. That will be enough.

Just to clarify, I think we should run 30-40 times out of this formation. Personally, I think it prevents the stacking of the box to the extent that a standard formation is going to.

Hammock Parties
11-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Oakland is averaging 7.25 points per road game.

Just hand the ball to a running back on every play.

HemiEd
11-14-2006, 05:32 PM
how many catches to Webb and Gardner have this year?

In fact, when was the last time you saw Webb or Gardner even on the field?

I noticed Gardner on the field against Miami.

Hootie
11-14-2006, 05:53 PM

If it's Huard, when have you seen the guy audible all year long?

Hootie
11-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Run the ball down their throat. Don't give Huard a chance to blow the game again.
he blew the game?

Oh.

I was pretty sure it was our inability to pass protect.

Hammock Parties
11-14-2006, 05:55 PM
he blew the game?

Oh.

Hootie, Huard's passes were errant, all game. Yeah, the pass protection sucked, but so did his passing. Do you really think Trent Green would have gone 15-for-38?

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-14-2006, 05:55 PM
he blew the game?

Oh.

The multiple overthrows on open receivers for large gains or sure TDs didn't help either.

Hootie
11-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Hootie, Huard's passes were errant, all game. Yeah, the pass protection sucked, but so did his passing. Do you really think Trent Green would have gone 15-for-38?
I think Trent Green would've been equally ineffective, yes.

Did this game not remind you of Buffalo last year?

Huard dropped back to pass 38 times, and I'd say...on at least 30 of them he was hit, hurried, sacked, etc...

Do you really think that sort of pressure doesn't eat away at a QB's confidence? Do you really think that sort of pressure doesn't effect a QB's performance?

Huard has thrown the ball a little high all year long, but never like this...and he has never had poor pass protection like he did today.

Then, when we complete a long pass to Tony G it is called back because of a Turley clip.

Also, the playcalling was absolutely horrendous.

That last drive, we should've utilized LJ with draw play after draw play after draw play mixed in with a PA pass...we had two minutes, two timeouts, and realistically, all we had to do was get into field goal range. After that mircale pass to Kennison, we should've settled down and done a few run plays, a draw, call three plays at the line and use the no-huddle...

This game goes on Solari/Herm and our two tackles before it goes on Huard.

This game was equally disastrous to the Buffalo game last year, only we scored 10 (luckily) rather than 3.

Hootie
11-14-2006, 06:03 PM
we'll see, I am eagerly anticipating Green's return to the starting lineup now, because I think the Miami game exposed Huard and our offense.

I am excited for Green not so much for his ability, but for the respect he'll get from opposing teams.

I'm also excited because, if there is one thing Huard can't do, it's sell the fake or set up the screen...two things Green is very good at.

Throughout the past several years, how many passes did Green throw that didn't involve a fake, regardless of how unbelievable or little the fake was?

Not very many.

I want to get back to that. Keep the defense on their toes...because that was definitely not the case in Miami.

FAX
11-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Here we go again.

Somebody make me a mod. I'll end this debate once and for all and win the worst mod of all times contest, too.

FAX

Deberg_1990
11-14-2006, 06:09 PM

Green threw 3 INT's in last years infamous Buffalo game.

When the line sucks, it doesnt much matter who you have at QB.

Easy 6
11-14-2006, 06:09 PM

I had it last week, not this Sunday though. We play like World-Beaters at home, have made all of the bradys & mannings flinch at some point in Arrowhead...if there is still such a thing as Homefield Advantage, the KC CHIEFS have an All-Timer.

......Meanwhile muss is cryin' and dragging morale to new lows in chokeland...we can & should put Falters on his azz just like Seattle and at some point i'm quite convinced we will get to see muss try to choke walsh a'la spreewell as a stone faced and catatonic Shell looks on.

No, i feel just fine about this game, its the roll we HAVE to go on next that makes me anxious.

Trent, if you feel safe & solid about it i would LOVE to see you back in the huddle.