PDA

View Full Version : My 500th Post - State of the Chiefs

MahiMike
11-14-2006, 07:43 AM
I've been contemplating what to write about for my 500th post that I actually haven't been posting as much lately. As a noob (to some), my words aren't as impressive as the original cast of planeteers. But they're nothing if not heartfelt.

As you can see by my signature, I'm still leary of Herm Edwards. Even more leary of King Carl. Under Dick Vermiel, the last 5 years were great to be a Chiefs fan. We FINALLY had an offense that we could be proud of. No longer did we have to pray that our defense would somehow score a pick 6 and somehow make another goal line stand. No longer did we need to worry about being down by 14 points in the playoffs and wonder how we'd ever catch up.

We had Dick Vermiel and his wunderkind Al Saunders to show us the way. Dick was our Steve Spurrier. He could make Trent Green throw 4,000 yards to no-name receivers. He could make a rejected free agent RB into the league's best. He didn't know jack about defense and didn't want to. That was Carl and Goonther's job. Let them handle it. Or not...

So 5 years later the midwest fans thought that scoring over 30 points per game was a bad thing. So close to having the total package, they left Dick hanging (lol) as early as last September. That's when Herm was hired as the new coach. Carl and Herm made an elaborate plan for Herm to get out of NY and the plan was set.

Now the new regime is fully entrenched. All emphasis was placed on the defensive side of the ball and improvement has been seen. On the offensive side, injuries have riddled the team and yet they have continued to produce - somewhat. A more balanced attack is seen coming out of Arrowhead these days.

The question is this; is a more balanced attack better than a Dick Vermiel/Al Saunders top 5 offense? Couldn't we have let Dick stay one more year and still acquire all these new guys on defense?

The coming weeks will tell. Before the season, I predicted 6 wins. Looks like I'll be correct. If somehow, some way the Chiefs make it to the playoffs, what will we do if we get down by 14?

Saulbadguy
11-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Dick Vermeil was a failure at Kansas City. 5 years, 1 one playoff appearance.

What's more frustrating is he had time to fix the defense. He never even came close to doing so. Embarassing.

So 5 years later the midwest fans thought that scoring over 30 points per game was a bad thing.
Incredibly lame, and stupid.

Redrum_69
11-14-2006, 08:32 AM
You chose your 500th post to write a post about Dick?

Your mom didnt wait for her 500th post, shes been talking about dick since the day she rubbed one off on a pikachu pillow

burt
11-14-2006, 08:47 AM
I've been contemplating what to write about for my 500th post that I actually haven't been posting as much lately. As a noob (to some), my words aren't as impressive as the original cast of planeteers. But they're nothing if not heartfelt.

As you can see by my signature, I'm still leary of Herm Edwards. Even more leary of King Carl. Under Dick Vermiel, the last 5 years were great to be a Chiefs fan. We FINALLY had an offense that we could be proud of. No longer did we have to pray that our defense would somehow score a pick 6 and somehow make another goal line stand. No longer did we need to worry about being down by 14 points in the playoffs and wonder how we'd ever catch up.

We had Dick Vermiel and his wunderkind Al Saunders to show us the way. Dick was our Steve Spurrier. He could make Trent Green throw 4,000 yards to no-name receivers. He could make a rejected free agent RB into the league's best. He didn't know jack about defense and didn't want to. That was Carl and Goonther's job. Let them handle it. Or not...

So 5 years later the midwest fans thought that scoring over 30 points per game was a bad thing. So close to having the total package, they left Dick hanging (lol) as early as last September. That's when Herm was hired as the new coach. Carl and Herm made an elaborate plan for Herm to get out of NY and the plan was set.

Now the new regime is fully entrenched. All emphasis was placed on the defensive side of the ball and improvement has been seen. On the offensive side, injuries have riddled the team and yet they have continued to produce - somewhat. A more balanced attack is seen coming out of Arrowhead these days.

The question is this; is a more balanced attack better than a Dick Vermiel/Al Saunders top 5 offense? Couldn't we have let Dick stay one more year and still acquire all these new guys on defense?

The coming weeks will tell. Before the season, I predicted 6 wins. Looks like I'll be correct. If somehow, some way the Chiefs make it to the playoffs, what will we do if we get down by 14?

Mike,

Before the season, I predicted 10 wins, I still believe we can....just depends on if Herm can cure our inconsistancies, and if our d-line can step up.

Unlike you, Herm has earned my respect and admiration. I believe that he will create a team. Happy 500th.

burt
11-14-2006, 08:48 AM
I am Incredibly lame, and stupid.

FYP!

boogblaster
11-14-2006, 10:07 AM
They made sport of me on my 500th..

DaFace
11-14-2006, 10:27 AM

This series of questions is absolutely ridiculous.

Is a balanced attack better than a non-balanced attack?
OF COURSE. When's the last time you saw a team with a bottom 10 offense OR defense in the super bowl?

Could we have let Dick stay one more year?
Sure we could have, but the point is that Dick has no idea how to draft defensive players, nor would he know how to use them if he did. We've drafted almost nothing BUT defensive players in the first two rounds since Dick's been here, but we STILL couldn't put together a team that was worth anything.

Before the season, I predicted 6 wins...
If you actually think you'll be right on this one, then you've already shown how out of touch with reality you actually are, and the rest of my points here don't even need to be said.

If the Chiefs make it to the playoffs, what will we do if we get down by 14?
We were down by 14 to Arizona and won. I know they're not a playoff team, but don't act like we CAN'T do it.

MahiMike
11-14-2006, 11:11 AM
This series of questions is absolutely ridiculous.

Is a balanced attack better than a non-balanced attack?
OF COURSE. When's the last time you saw a team with a bottom 10 offense OR defense in the super bowl?

uhh, the 49ers were pretty good. The Rams had just enough defense to win. That's all I was asking for.

Could we have let Dick stay one more year?
Sure we could have, but the point is that Dick has no idea how to draft defensive players, nor would he know how to use them if he did. We've drafted almost nothing BUT defensive players in the first two rounds since Dick's been here, but we STILL couldn't put together a team that was worth anything.

See original post. That's Carl's fault - not DV.

Before the season, I predicted 6 wins...
If you actually think you'll be right on this one, then you've already shown how out of touch with reality you actually are, and the rest of my points here don't even need to be said.

If we win this week, we'll have 6 wins. If we win the following week, we'll STILL have 6 wins. Idiot. :harumph:

If the Chiefs make it to the playoffs, what will we do if we get down by 14?
We were down by 14 to Arizona and won. I know they're not a playoff team, but don't act like we CAN'T do it.

Brock
11-14-2006, 11:24 AM
I really don't understand why a lot of people around here don't want to hold a coach accountable for failure. It's happened with Marty, Gunther, and now Vermeil. "Oh, it's Carl's fault, or the kicker, or the NFL didn't want us to win". BS.

MichaelH
11-14-2006, 11:24 AM
If we win this week, we'll have 6 wins. If we win the following week, we'll STILL have 6 wins.

Is this the new math I've been hearing about? :p

ChiefaRoo
11-14-2006, 11:41 AM
They made sport of me on my 500th..

I verbally rode skip around the lounge forum like a shetland pony for my 500th post.