PDA

View Full Version : Denver finds the 'Rhodes' back to greatness!

Mile High Mania
01-16-2001, 10:41 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2001/01/16/tuesday_roundup_ap/index.html

It's all but official! Does this worry any of you, honestly? I think it is a great move.

And yes - I do think the subject title was a bad play on words, but it's all I could muster.

KCTitus
01-16-2001, 10:44 AM
Honestly. No. The loss of Alex Gibbs hurts Denver more than the Rhodes addition helps.

Mile High Mania
01-16-2001, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't say that... Gibbs is now a 'consultant', which means that the new OL Coach will be in direct contact with him and has studied under him in recent years. Gibbs will be there on a part-time basis during minicamps, preseason and the regular season.

Rhodes is one of the, if not THE most coveted DC this offseason and many of you wanted him in KC. So, by that alone, I know this is a major step in the right direction.

58Forever
01-16-2001, 10:48 AM
Frankly, I'm actually relieved...I was afraid you guys would pick Gun...then I'd be worried...seriously, Gun may have been a p poor HC, but one hell of a DC...and with our selection of your DC, gag, it next year should be interesting...on the bright side, Robinson put together some solid Ds for the Broncs...hope he can recreate it for us...and I hope he forgets about last year completely...

And I am quite offended by your "signature"...

http://www.geocities.com/cannibal1970/ebfinger03.gif

:p

[Edited by 58Forever on 01-16-2001 at 10:52 AM]

Mile High Mania
01-16-2001, 10:52 AM
I'm glad to know that Broncos' fans aren't the only fans that put on a good 'swerve' now and then. Last week, I read many posts that stated the players made Gunther as good as everyone believed him to be. Now, that he won't be in Denver, he's back to being a *great* DC.

As for KC-Denver... what can Robinson add? KC has already owned Denver for 2 years, right? So, if the series splits in 2001, KC gained nothing right?

Rhodes is a better DC than Gunther or Robinson, period.
Gun and Robinson are great DC's, but Rhodes is by far the better guy. This is what Denver needs to revamp the defense.

I don't think Gunther would have been the 'missing link' for Denver being able to beat KC. Just my opinion...

MrBlond
01-16-2001, 10:55 AM
I am no more impressed with Ray Rhodes than I am with Greg Robinson. Rhodes gameface is impressive but his defenses haven't lived up to his scowl. Marty is a man who knows a good DC(Cowher, Dungy, Gun) and he fired RR. He bombed in Philly and GB. His D in SF mirrored Robinsons in Denver. They had the benefit of playing with a big lead more times than not and with a offense that could cover a gambling defense. Robinson has been called a crony but isnt this the same case?

Mile High Mania
01-16-2001, 10:58 AM
Quit talking out of your a$$ ... it's hard to understand you. Look at what his defenses have done. You guys continue to crack me up. I'll bet 12 hours ago, every one of you would have voted to sign Rhodes over any of the other options.

Now, he sucks and it's again because he's going to Denver. I understand the homerism, truly I do.

In other news... sounds like Kubiak may be headed to Houston as their head coach. I wonder if he would go immediately or if he would still have the option to be Denver's OC for 2001. Hmmm, maybe Shanahan needs to find another OC as well.

Change is constant.

[Edited by Mile High Mania on 01-16-2001 at 11:00 AM]

58Forever
01-16-2001, 11:00 AM
I've always thought Gun was a great DC...as a matter of fact, I wouldn't have minded seeing him back here as DC...I realize that would have been an immpossibility, but I wouldn't have minded...

When all is said and done, it comes down to how well the players respond and execute...Rhodes may be the best out there, if so, more power to the Broncs...both the Chiefs and Broncs underachieved defensively in 2000, it's all up from here...for the Chiefs anyway... :p

and I'm still offended by your signature

Mark M
01-16-2001, 11:01 AM
MHM--
The appointment makes me very nervous. The guy turned DC's D around last year. You all should be very happy. All you need is a great cover corner and you should be okay. Oh yeah, getting Carter and Romo off the drugs should help, too. :p

You should be even happier you dumped that piece of crap Robinson. I think he still works for you guys ... he'll come in here and let the Donkeys run all over us. What in the hell were Carl and DV thinking? The guy gets fired from an 11-5 team? That can't be a good sign.

And where did the "flipping-off smilie" come from? What's the code? I, for one, am not offended.

MM
~~Would like to return the finger in kind.

[Edited by Mark M on 01-16-2001 at 11:03 AM]

morphius
01-16-2001, 11:02 AM
Brad - Rhodes is a good hire, no really denying that from teh way people were talking about him. The thing that we are relieved at is that the players on our team are Gunthers players, and he knows them and their weakness's very well. If you don't think that he would have went a long way to kill us over the next couple of years then I think your missing the fact that he knows Grbac as well as anyone.

Of course I have no idea what the Chiefs will look like next season with all the new coaches coming in.

Mile High Mania
01-16-2001, 11:03 AM
58... blame Cannibal for my signature. He's my new idol.

I agree that both KC and Denver have made solid choices and it's truly all about how the players respond. In Denver's case, they need to bring in 2 or 3 new defensive starters for the upcoming season. Hopefully, Rhodes will be a major factor in the decisions of these guys.

Baby Lee
01-16-2001, 11:05 AM
I do think that Rhodes can be a quality DC, if he can get the stink of his Washington/GB/Philly run off him. For a sound coach, he's had a run of bad luck.

More importantly, I am glad the Broncs didn't get Gun. That guy knows all their weaknesses [to bad the Raiders had HIS number], and presumably had some plans to fix them. Plus, he'd be extra motivated against the Chiefs this year at least.

Mile High Mania
01-16-2001, 11:05 AM
Morph, I totally agree with your statement about Gunther. If he had gone to Denver, beating KC would be his #1 priority. Much like Shanahan with Oakland.

I'm not sure what Robinson would add to the rivalry for KC other than the obvious, especially since they have beaten Denver 4 straight times. He's a solid choice though.

DaWolf
01-16-2001, 11:07 AM
I think Rhodes is a good hire. Frankly I think it is a better hire than Gun would have been. He is a good solid coordinator who is good friends with Shanarat, and if they give him the players, he will produce.

Gun, I think he would have one good year of solid, agressive defense, then the next year someone would expose that defense, then the year after that he would come up with something else that would work for a year before someone started exposing that a year later. At least that was his pattern in KC...

MrBlond
01-16-2001, 11:21 AM
MHM,

I disagree that Rhodes is a good choice. He is a recycled crony just like Robinson. He has been FIRED by his last 3 employers. Philly has improved since his release. GB has improved since his release. Washington is bound to improve after his release. Homerism works both ways. Were you pointing out Robinsons flaws while winning those Superbowls?

alanm
01-16-2001, 11:24 AM
Guys, I don't give a hoot nor holler how good your DC is or isn't. He can only contribute so much. It all comes down to the personel on the field. And IMHO Kansas City has the better personel on defense. Your DC don't make tackles.

58Forever
01-16-2001, 11:28 AM

I'm not really offended either, as a matter of fact I think I'll start using this everytime I start a reply to another teams fan...:)

BTW, was Rhodes fired by DC or did he quit to take the Broncs job?...I have no idea...

DaWolf
01-16-2001, 11:36 AM
Marty "let him shop around" which is a kind way of saying Marty wanted someone else...

58Forever
01-16-2001, 11:39 AM
Thanks Wolf, my brain is on hold, I forgot all about Marty being the new head coach...:o...:dazed:....I wonder if Gun is going to join Raye in DC....why not, then they can be the Chiefs east...like we are the Niners midwest...

Mark M
01-16-2001, 11:49 AM
58--
I wouldn't be surprised to see Gun in DC.

And if Rhodes was allowed to "shop around," what does that say about Marty? It seems like he's trying to surround himself with his pals just like DV is doing here.

And I still want the code for the smilie giving the bird (just put it in parenthesis rather than colons ... or e-mail it to me).

MM
~~Wonders if the code is being held back to prevent over-use.

DaWolf
01-16-2001, 11:57 AM
Actually if you think surrounding yourself with friends is bad, Marty apparently like usual is surrounding himself with family. I think I read he just brought abord his son, and his brother has a good shot at the DC position.

Gunther I've read has strained his relationship with Schottenheimer with the backhanded shots he took at Schottenheimer and his program this last year...

ROYC75
01-16-2001, 12:12 PM
Marty says Gun will not be in DC,as for the "Road Show" (hehe)in Denver....I like that better than Gun being there.

Your D will be better in 2-3 yrs after you draft the talent to make it better,not because of Rhodes!

Have I ever said I didn't like Rhodes to begin with ?

Mark M
01-16-2001, 12:20 PM
I just got an e-mail from a friend in DC. He's about ready to lose his mind!! Looks like The Dan is getting what he deserves. :D

Roy--
If Marty won't hire Gun, who will? It seems as though Gun may be taking an unexpected vacation ... or can we call it "retirement"?

And, yes, the Broncos will improve after getting better players, as would any team. But Rhodes has been known as a "players" coach, and just having him should help their D, IMHO. He reminds me of Gun—great DC, terrible HC. I hope I'm wrong! Nothing feels better than beating the Donks (well, except beating the Raiders).

MM
~~Knows how hard it is to cross a bridge you've burned.

58Forever
01-16-2001, 12:39 PM

Mark here is the code for the smiling bird....since I don't know how else to use it, I just cut and paste this url and then add the brackets, img stuff.

[Edited by 58Forever on 01-16-2001 at 12:49 PM]

Mark M
01-16-2001, 01:09 PM
58--
Thank you much! I will try to use it with restraint ... but since we're talking about the Broncos here ... http://www.geocities.com/cannibal1970/ebfinger03.gif

MM
~~Means no offense to MileHighMania in particular ... just the Donkeys in general.

Mile High Mania
01-16-2001, 01:34 PM
Ok...

Mr. Blond,
Rhodes hasn't been "fired" by the Redskins. He has been given permission to shop around, but if his last name started with an 'S' and ended with an 'R'... you can bet he would still be the DC in Washington. Also, I haven't bashed Robinson in any of my posts. I like the guy, just needed a few more players in the secondary.

As for everyone else, the discussion is really kinda pointless. You guys have always bashed Denver's defense, but now you're all being forced to ultimately applaud the signing of the guy who was in charge of those Denver defenses.

Yes, Ray Rhodes is a HORRIBLE head coach. But, he is a great defensive coach. Look at how the Redskins ranked defensively last year compared to 1999.

Finally! You can't use the "he had an explosive offense" on the other side of the ball argument, because the Redskins had a bad offense in 2000.

Ray is good. As I've said - I like Robinson and I wish him well.

58Forever
01-16-2001, 02:20 PM
Mile High, isn't it sad that our off season excitement revolves around the coaching staffs?...how long do we have to wait before we can start signing FAs?....

Hey and you started this smiling bird thing...:p

Mark M
01-16-2001, 02:26 PM
MHM--

As for everyone else ...

Did you read any of my posts? You usually bring in some good smack and have good points ... I'd hate to think you've been hanging around Packfan. ;)

MM
~~Never applauded the Robinson hiring ... wanted Rhodes.

FloridaChief
01-16-2001, 02:37 PM
People,

No way Gunther goes to Washington to work under Marty, not after some of the disparaging remarks Gun made about Marty in the locker room last season that have now gotten back to Marty's ears. Gun burned his bridges for ever having a reunion.

MHM--Rhodes was, IMO, a great pick-up for Denver. He should do wonders for your D. As a Chiefs fan, the only good thing coming out of this is that Shanny didn't sign Gun as his DC.

Mile High Mania
01-16-2001, 02:45 PM
Mark M, those are fightin' words! If you have bashed Denver's defense within the last 3 years, then 'yes' you would fall into the "everyone else" statement.

58Forever
01-16-2001, 02:48 PM
mhm, what defense...I crack myself up....:)

Mile High Mania
01-16-2001, 02:53 PM
If only I had a gif of the li'l smiley guy mooning... just for you, 58.

58Forever
01-16-2001, 02:59 PM
http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/cwm/fucyc.gif

couldn't find one mooning...how's this?...

58Forever
01-16-2001, 03:01 PM
These are pretty good

http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/cwm2/puke.gif
http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/cwm2/piss.gifhttp://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/dvv/boom.gif

[Edited by 58Forever on 01-16-2001 at 03:13 PM]

Mark M
01-16-2001, 03:06 PM
MHM--
I know, that was a low blow (with no pun intended towards Packfan's hobby). :D

However, I have bashed Denver's D, but have not in any way applauded the hiring of Robinson. I thought it was a stupid move. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you. :confused:

MM
~~Has a pic of something mooning, but doesn't think it's appropriate for this forum ...

Mile High Mania
01-16-2001, 03:11 PM
Mark, ok ... maybe the word "everyone" was a bit too inclusive. :D

As for the other item that you have "mooning"... go ahead, we're all adults. Just post it once for like 10 minutes or something and then you can edit and delete it.

Mark M
01-16-2001, 03:16 PM
MHM--
If it wasn't my skinny white a$$, I would. I really don't think you guys want to see that ... :eek:

MM
~~Has to draw the line somewhere.

58Forever
01-16-2001, 03:29 PM
I hit the smilie jackpot...this would be a good one to use for all packfan types....sorry won't work because of the language blocks...here's another good one...damn, won't work either...how about this one...

http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/monsieurboo/tgv.gif
http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/geno/phaser.gif
http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/geno/*******.gif

http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/geno/*******2.gif

[Edited by 58Forever on 01-16-2001 at 03:36 PM]

Mile High Mania
01-16-2001, 06:57 PM
Ok, now it's official!http://www.nfl.com/Broncos/news/010115rhodes.html

mlyonsd
01-16-2001, 08:37 PM
Brad, is 2001 going to be an interesting season or what?

Logical
01-16-2001, 09:39 PM
Congratulations Brad,

Just happy its not Gun, your guy may be as good but he does not know KC inside and out. Win win for both of us I guess.

Cannibal
01-16-2001, 09:45 PM
58Forever,

Those are very funny! Especially the Train and Monkey smilies.

milkman
01-17-2001, 06:13 AM
When Marty was hired as HC in DC, he met with Rhodes. Rhodes had stated prior to Marty's hiring that he wouldn't want to remain in DC under anyone other Robiskie. Marty wasn't going to make Rhodes stay, even though he was still under contract. He was hoping that Rhodes would change his mind after meeting him.
Rhodes is a better hire at DC than Gun, by far. His defenses are much more consistent than Gun's.

Mile High Mania
01-17-2001, 07:48 AM
The part I like is that Marty stated he is not asking for compensation for Rhodes. Rock on! Denver can spend those multiple 3rd and 4th round picks on another couple of RBs or something.

Actually, I know they have spent several high draft picks on defense over the last few years... but, I hope they continue that trend this year.

Areas of need: CB, FS, OL, WR, QB

I hope they spend FA $ on a few proven defensive secondary guys b/c that is where Denver needs help first and foremost. After that, I would like for them to consider another young journeyman QB to backup Griese b/c he'll probably be one of those QBs that misses 3 games a year.

As for the draft... I'm not sure what will be there when they pick at 24 (I think that's right), but I hope they have better luck if they go offense with that pick.

Should be fun.