PDA

View Full Version : Mangino is a sore loser.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2006, 08:43 AM
As the Sunflower Showdown draws near, I thought i'd get it started from this little snippet from your coach, from todays Eagle.

Re: K-State beating Texas...

"I thought, 'Wow, we had an opportunity to beat Texas here and let it slip through our hands,"' Mangino said of KU's 27-23 loss. "They didn't. Good for them. We'll be looking forward to playing them."

Then he paused and added, "But there was a guy missing."

Freeman Johns, the side judge whose controversial call two years ago was key in allowing Texas to escape with a victory over KU?

" Vince Young," replied Mangino. "They were a guy short."

Lzen
11-15-2006, 08:48 AM
What in that statement do you not agree with?

It was a great job by KSU, no doubt. I don't even think Vince Young had anything to do with it. I think KSU knocking out Colt McCoy was key for a KSU victory.

And Mangino was right 2 years ago. KU should have pulled off the upset 2 years ago if it weren't for some BS penalty. But that really has no bearing on the game between KU and KSU this Saturday.

You guys pulled off a great upset against Texas and don't need to apologize or rationalize. It was a great game. Congrats on the win. I'll admit that I didn't think KSU was that good this year. But I'm gonna stick to what I've believed all year long. The game in Lawrence will be a W for the Jayhawks. :p

Saulbadguy
11-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Why would he say such a thing? Of course if Vince Young was there it would be a totally different game, but it would not guarantee victory. If Michael Huff were there, if Rodrique Wright where there..hell, Derrick Johnson was on that team as well.

But, they aren't. It was a stupid, loser-ish thing to say. He tries to de-value our victory by bringing up one of his many "moral victories". He forgot to mention the year after when they got their asses handed to them 66-14.

Raiderhader
11-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Wow, raider AND chickenhawk week.... That's what I call a rivalry week.

DaWolf
11-15-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm not really a huge Mangino fan. Mangino should be more worried about why he let some games slip away against other teams THIS year...

RockChalk
11-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Why would he say such a thing? Of course if Vince Young was there it would be a totally different game, but it would not guarantee victory. If Michael Huff were there, if Rodrique Wright where there..hell, Derrick Johnson was on that team as well.

But, they aren't. It was a stupid, loser-ish thing to say. He tries to de-value our victory by bringing up one of his many "moral victories". He forgot to mention the year after when they got their asses handed to them 66-14.

Heck, Mangino even de-values KU fans. On his radio show a few weeks back, he ridiculed a fan for asking him a legitimate question about losing on the road. (not sure if it was discussed on here or not).

I for one can't stand the guy. I think he's got the program headed in the right direction, but don't feel like he can get KU to where I'd like us to be. I think he knows if he doesn't win this game, there will be a lot of heat on him.

Should be a high scoring fun game to watch. KState will probably throw for 300+ yards and KU will probably run for 200+ yards, just depends on which team can finish drives with TD's. Also, the coaches in this game both have made several stupid play calls this year, hopefully they can shelve that crap for one game. I think the Hawks beat the Grapes by less than one score, so it will come right down to the last drive.

Lzen
11-15-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm not really a huge Mangino fan. Mangino should be more worried about why he let some games slip away against other teams THIS year...

Agreed.

ROYC75
11-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Wow, raider AND chickenhawk week.... That's what I call a rivalry week.

You got that wrong there skinny man, it's PussyCats and PussyPirates week in Kansas . :D

As for the Fatman, he's stiring the pot, his own. Letting 3 games get away from him this year he should have won is unacceptable......

Go :KU:, skin the cats........

Lzen
11-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Wait a second, Roy. I thought you didn't care about Jayhawks football. :hmmm:

Here's an article in today's cjonline.

Published Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Mangino sees, likes Prince's style

KU coach says Prince doing well mixing new in with veterans
A D V E R T I S E M E N T
By Kevin Haskin
The Capital-Journal

LAWRENCE -- One coach with more than a passing interest in the Kansas State football job didn't wait for a notice to be stuck inside a bottle and sent down the Kaw.

Kansas' Mark Mangino scrutinized the position closely ... both as the coach overseeing the program of an in-state rival and someone who spent eight years as an assistant at K-State under Bill Snyder.

Mangino said he never considered the job to be easy.

The difficulty recruiting to a remote location, coupled with the unprecedented success Snyder managed in guiding the Wildcats to 11 consecutive bowl appearances, six consecutive 11-win seasons, two Fiesta Bowl appearances and one Big 12 title sounds almost staggering.

But Mangino did sense that the brief downturn K-State experienced in the past two seasons might ease some of the pressure felt by Snyder's replacement.

"Usually, after a coach attains great status and retires, a lot of times those jobs are really difficult when you come in," Mangino said. "I don't think K-State was any different, although there were some things you need to look at.

"They had a great run there, but they had two below-average years. But coach Snyder and his staff have traditionally recruited well, so (the next coach) was not going to go into a situation where the cupboard was bare. He was going to have some kids to work with."

Senior linebacker Brandon Archer, for example, is threatening to lead the Wildcats in tackles for a third consecutive season. Wide receiver Jordy Nelson and injured free safety Marcus Watts were a pair of in-state finds for Snyder's staff. Yamon Figurs was a multiple threat as a receiver and return man.

"And," said Mangino, "(Prince) has done a good job of blending in some kids he's brought in with kids who were there. He's put it together very nicely."

The perspective comes from a coach who knows the K-State situation well, yet doesn't know Prince. Mangino met the K-State coach at the Big 12's summer meetings and that's been their only encounter.

Well, until a 2:30 p.m. kickoff Saturday when K-State brings a 7-4 overall mark and 4-3 conference record into Memorial Stadium and completes its regular season against Kansas (5-5, 2-4).

"I'm not familiar with Ron, I'm really not. I know he's doing a really good job," Mangino said.

In particular, the KU coach was impressed with the risks Kansas State took that worked against Texas, as well as how the Wildcats seized an opportunity.

"When they felt like they were in the game with them, they gathered momentum and Texas stalled," he said. "Kansas State kept getting after them and rode the emotion throughout the game."

Mangino didn't say the Cats made it look easy.

Nor will he apply those terms to the job inherited by Prince, who became the odds-on favorite to become Big 12 coach of the year after his team ended Texas' 21-game conference win streak.

"I wouldn't say the job is easy, but easier," Mangino said. "He inherited a much better situation at Kansas State than what Bill Snyder did. I mean it's not even close. Coach Snyder left a reasonably good situation there, a pretty good situation."

Kevin Haskin can be reached at (785) 295-1159 or kevin.haskin@cjonline.com.

http://hawkzone.cjonline.com/stories/111506/haw_manginoprinceh.shtml

ROYC75
11-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Have never said I didn't care, I just don't get to excited as I do in BB. I have always stated I don't watch alot of it or get involved in too many discussions about KU football. I have always been a college basketball fan over college football, vise versa in pro ball.

WilliamTheIrish
11-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Heck, Mangino even de-values KU fans. On his radio show a few weeks back, he ridiculed a fan for asking him a legitimate question about losing on the road. (not sure if it was discussed on here or not).

I for one can't stand the guy. I think he's got the program headed in the right direction, but don't feel like he can get KU to where I'd like us to be. I think he knows if he doesn't win this game, there will be a lot of heat on him.

Should be a high scoring fun game to watch. KState will probably throw for 300+ yards and KU will probably run for 200+ yards, just depends on which team can finish drives with TD's. Also, the coaches in this game both have made several stupid play calls this year, hopefully they can shelve that crap for one game. ....

Agreed. Fat man is feeling the heat. I would be too if I saw an annual 1.5 mil payday sunsetting on me.
And in the end, he can't de-value the upset of Texas. It happened. This is why he's feeling the heat.

I think the Hawks beat the Grapes by less than one score, so it will come right down to the last drive.

I'm not sure who wins. It's a rivalry game, and anything can happen. I expect a close game.

Lzen
11-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Doesn't looks as bad when taken in context

Published Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Kansas notebook

KSU-Texas was must-see

Watching football on a rare Saturday off wasn't altogether easy for Mark Mangino.

Even the Kansas football coach has trouble getting his family not to disturb him when a game's on television.

Not that he minded. Both Mangino and his team needed a weekend off after playing 10 straight weeks and he enjoyed spending some time at home.

But the upset Kansas State handed Texas was must-see TV. The game reminded Mangino of the surprise the Jayhawks nearly pulled off two years ago when the Longhorns visited Lawrence. UT scored two touchdowns in the final five minutes to triumph 27-23.

"I thought, 'Wow, we had a chance to beat Texas here a few years ago and let it slip through our hands.' They did not," Mangino said. Asked about the similarities, Mangino assessed the matchups and added, "There was a guy missing. Vince Young. They were a guy short."

Many of the Jayhawks spent Saturday night watching the game.

Senior strong safety Jerome Kemp was also reminded of the Texas game.

"Texas will let a few go late in the season like that, except last year when they went undefeated," Kemp said. "But I was surprised, very surprised. K-State outplayed them in every phase and got after it."

The mission for the Kansas defense will be to get after K-State quarterback Josh Freeman hard enough to disrupt the freshman's rhythm. During the Wildcats' recent three-game winning streak, Freeman has matured quickly and been incredibly sharp, throwing for 681 yards and six touchdowns, with two interceptions.

"We've got to pressure the quarterback, spook him a little bit," said KU defensive tackle James McClinton. "He's spook-able himself if you look at him. I mean he's 6-foot-6, 212 pounds. He's out there confident, coming off back-to-back Big 12 player of the weeks. But we'll put some licks on him."

Bowl talk dismissed

With eight Big 12 teams already qualified for the eight tie-ins the conference has to bowls, 5-5 Kansas is in the unenviable position of being the last to potentially qualify. Teams need six wins to become bowl-eligible, but unless two Big 12 teams are thrust into the Bowl Championship Series, a 6-6 team could be left scrambling.

The Poinsettia Bowl and the Motor City Bowl are possibilities among postseason games without Big 12 ties. But the Poinsettia may be more inclined to take a team based closer to San Diego, such as UCLA, while the Motor City Bowl may be interested in pairing two MAC rivals.

"I am not discussing any bowl games because if you take care of business, the byproduct is a bowl game," Mangino said. "I am not thinking about bowls, I am not talking about bowls. I am more interested in winning and that will all take care of itself."

About 1,500 tickets remain for Saturday's football game, according to KU officials.

Salina freshman Jake Sharp has moved into the return role on kickoffs full-time. He is averaging 14.3 yards on three returns.

Thus far one bowl, the Independence, has notified Kansas it will be sending a scout.

Kevin Haskin cover Kansas athletics for The Captial-Journal. He can be reached at (785) 295-1159 or kevin.haskin @cjonline.com.

http://hawkzone.cjonline.com/stories/111506/haw_ksnote.shtml

Saulbadguy
11-15-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure who wins. It's a rivalry game, and anything can happen. I expect a close game.
Same here, unfortunately. We are limping in to this game. Starting FS - out. Starting CB - out. Starting WR - out. Another starting WR - questionable. Staring SS -probable, but hurt.

Sucks..but gotta overcome the injuries. I think if our passing game keeps operating at a high efficiency like it has the past few weeks, we will win. If not..it's gonna be a long day. Our defense hasn't been very good the last few games, and i'm very worried about that.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2006, 10:46 AM
So..who is going to the game?

RockChalk
11-15-2006, 10:56 AM
So..who is going to the game?

I'll be there, but will probably be pretty torn up. Weather prediction as of now has sunny and 50's, which would be nice.

Should be a wild one...

Raiderhader
11-15-2006, 07:02 PM
You got that wrong there skinny man...

The hell I did.

WilliamTheIrish
11-15-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm there. Right before KO there'll be a few scalpers tix unsold.

Pay 15$ instead of 65$

Raiderhader
11-15-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm there. Right before KO there'll be a few scalpers tix unsold.

Pay 15$ instead of 65$

Take a dump on Snob Hill for me, please.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Take a dump on Snob Hill for me, please.
If we win, there is a possibility we get the Alamo Bowl. San Antonio. You in?

Raiderhader
11-15-2006, 07:42 PM
If we win, there is a possibility we get the Alamo Bowl. San Antonio. You in?

I'd love to, but unless there is a major change in my financial situation it won't be happening. We are getting ready to get into the busy time of the year so it is possible, but first I have to find a way to dig myself out of the hole I'm in from the past couple of really slow months.