PDA

View Full Version : A GIANT CONSPIRACY?

Marty McDonald
01-16-2001, 04:45 PM
The goal in the NFL is to gain a competitive advantage over your opponent and do so within the framework of league rules. The New York Giants, however, might have broken those rules. The first wave of controversy broke after the Giants and Minnesota Vikings game when Giants defensive end Michael Strahan told reporters that he discovered a quirk in Daunte Culpepper's pre-snap motion that indicated when the ball would be hiked. On the surface there is nothing wrong with that. However, word is beginning to spread like wildfire that the Giants are monitoring the opposing teams radio transmissions. Needless to say, this has created a maelstrom of allegations that the Giants have cheated their way through the playoffs.

A report in the Toronto Globe and Mail suggests that Giants intercepted radio signals from the Philadelphia Eagles sideline to quarterback Donovan McNabb. By intercepting the radio signals, the Giants were able to adjust and align their defense accordingly through the use of simple hand signals.

For more, check out:
http://www.nflscoop.com/cgi-bin/display.cgi?page=newsbody.html&id=20010116214213111439000000&teamid=&linktype=

Frazod
01-16-2001, 06:20 PM
Boy, I hope this isn't true. Reading body language is one thing - intercepting radio signals is something else. If they really, deliberately, intercepted the radio signals, and it can be proven, then IMO they should NOT go the Super Bowl. If true, this is an outrage. Again, I hope it's just a BS rumor.

Any word on whether or not they doused themselves with cooking spray? :mad:

ChiefsFanatic
01-16-2001, 06:28 PM
If it is true, the NFL should hold another NFC Championship game between Philly and the Vikings.

Mile High Mania
01-16-2001, 06:54 PM
First it's Miami Dade and Broward counties... now this?

Mark M
01-17-2001, 07:29 AM
God, I hope this isn't true. For those of you electronic wizards out there, how can this be proven? Can it?

If it is, the Giants should not be allowed in the playoffs and have every draft pick yanked for the next 2 to 5 years and given to Philly and Minnesota, and receive a HUGE fine, kinda like the way the T'Wolves were nailed by Stern for cheating. But this is MUCH worse than what the T'Wolves did, IMO.

MM
~~Not a believer in the saying "if you're not cheating, you're not trying."

KC Jones
01-17-2001, 08:46 AM
Okay, I work primarily in the financial sector as a software engineer but the last year has been all wireless. I think it's pretty safe to assume they scramble the broadcast, in which case it would be nearly impossible to recieve an intelligible signal. It would require having the same reciever - or knowing what 'seed' the reciever is using to unscramble the signal. New wireless technologies like BlueTooth hop frequency every 1/1000th of a second - just try keeping up with that. I find this <b>rumor</b> highly unlikely and it's probably just sour grapes.

Iowanian
01-17-2001, 08:59 AM
I think this is just sour grapes by some PO'ed Viking people...

I'll bet they could watch game film and look for hand signals and irregular Defensive shifts...compare to other games?

besides, I thought the mighty vikings could score 50 points if the other team had 14 guys on the field..

bishop_74
01-17-2001, 09:06 AM
Would they scramble the broadcast? It is football after all, not "military intelligence".

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-17-2001, 09:53 AM
Could you intercept the signals? Sure you could, if you could identify the proper frequency that the opposing team was broadcasting on. Also, given the relatively low power of the transmission, your intercept position would have to be relatively close to the field also.

Can you prove that someone is intercepting your signals?

No.

Electronic signals go out in all directions unless you're using a special directional antenna. There's no loss of signal if more than one person listens in on your conversation. You basically have to assume that if you're broadcasting <b>Any</b> transmission over radio and it's not encrypted, then it's fair game for anyone to listen in.

Like it or not. :argue:

[Edited by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan on 01-17-2001 at 09:55 AM]

58Forever
01-17-2001, 10:15 AM
Cheating in the NFL...no, it can't be...bad Giants... :spank:

if it's true what remedy is there?...the Vikes were outplayed...besides, if a team has tendencies the other team picks up...that's not cheating, witness the Chiefs all year...how many teams picked up our tendencies and used them against us...not cheating...

This will all go away unless the Giants win....

[Edited by 58Forever on 01-17-2001 at 10:17 AM]

KC Jones
01-17-2001, 10:17 AM
These guys cover their mouths when they talk into the mic's. They're hyper paramoid about everything. I think they must scramble the signals. Besides, with everything we know about Fassel do you think he'd really do this?

NaptownChief
01-17-2001, 10:28 AM
If they didn't have to dumb everything up for the modern day QB this wouldn't happen...In the good old days QB's had to learn a vast array of hand signals...But I guess since the modern day QB struggles miserably to read a base defense it is no wonder they figured they had to simplify the position with modern technology.

milkman
01-17-2001, 10:36 AM
Hell jl,
In the old days, most QBs called their own plays. I really miss those days.