PDA

View Full Version : Computer help, please: Trouble with optical drives.

patteeu
11-15-2006, 12:32 PM
I've had a problem with one of my computers for the past several weeks. The computer has a CD-RW drive and a DVD-ROM drive. Both are recognized and show up as "working properly" in the Device Manager, but when I try to "Explore" the contents of a disk, nothing shows up on the right panel of Windows Explorer (in Folders mode).

I've tried

Uninstalling the drives in Device Manager and letting the OS (Windows XP Pro) redetect the devices after a reboot. Both devices appear to reinstall successfully and the OS tells me my new hardware is ready to use.
changing the IDE cable
updating driver software
changing the master/slave settings from both being "cable select" to one being "master" and the other being "slave" and then the reverse
removing one of the drives so I'm just using one
booting in safe mode

All of the above efforts have no impact. The problem remains.

The fact that both drives developed the same problem at the same time leads me away from thinking either of the drives are bad although I haven't tested them in another machine. The two drives are on seperate power cables but share the same IDE cable (which, as I said above, has been replaced with a brand new cable).

Does anyone have any ideas for what I should try next?

dirk digler
11-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Is it the same disk you are looking at or different disks?

patteeu
11-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Is it the same disk you are looking at or different disks?

Different disks. I've tried several different ones, all of which work fine in my other computers. I haven't tried any DVD's, just data CDs.

DaFace
11-15-2006, 01:04 PM
If you go to the drives through the standard "My Computer" icon, are you able to double-click on the drives? If so, what happens?

Also, try this as well. Go to your Start menu, then Run. Type "cmd" to get to the command prompt. Then type "D:" and hit enter (assuming D is one of your CD drives). Finally, type "dir". Do you get a listing of the files on the CD? If not, what happens?

patteeu
11-15-2006, 01:13 PM
If you go to the drives through the standard "My Computer" icon, are you able to double-click on the drives? If so, what happens?

Also, try this as well. Go to your Start menu, then Run. Type "cmd" to get to the command prompt. Then type "D:" and hit enter (assuming D is one of your CD drives). Finally, type "dir". Do you get a listing of the files on the CD? If not, what happens?

When I get home, I'll try both and report back.

patteeu
11-15-2006, 03:02 PM

When I do this, I get a blank window with "0 objects" in the status bar at the bottom. I get this whether I am "exploring" the icon (explore is my default command for double click) or "opening" it.

D is indeed the drive letter of my CD drive when I look at it in Windows Explorer. When I type "D:" on the command prompt line, I get a "The parameter is incorrect" message and the prompt remains set on my C: drive. Obviously, typing "dir" at that point only gets me a directory listing of stuff on my C: drive.

When I type "cd d:" I get a line that says "d:\" but then the "c:\Documents and Settings\username>" prompt is displayed again.

DaFace
11-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Hmm...that's one I haven't seen before. These are more generic fixes for CD-ROM problems, but you might give them a try.

I've known a number of problems to be caused by the "LowerFilters" and "Upperfilters" registry entries. Here's Microsoft's page with instructions on how to remove them with the registry editor.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/

Also, here's a generic fix tool for a bunch of CD/DVD problems in XP.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

If nothing else, any chance you could get away with using System Restore to take your registry back to the point before it wasn't messed up? You'd have to reinstall any applications you've installed since then, but all your data will remain intact.

That's a cop out of sorts, but if you can get away with it, it's much more likely to fix your problem quickly than trying all these other possible fixes.

Undertaker #59
11-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Using a bootable CD, will the drives boot to them? Trying to determine whether the OS is the Culprit, or the hardware.

Simplex3
11-15-2006, 09:53 PM
...panel of Windows Explorer...
...the OS (Windows XP Pro)...
Your problem is simple.

:)